UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

@ Heinrich505: Thankyou!

@ Chris - Nice!!

Re: Slips...

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

One of two geometrically identical double slips on the route. At a glance it's not too shabby (except possibly the reverse curve on one approach), and I was able to persuade the procedural track to do it's thing, but on closer inspection the switch rails at one end pass through the common crossing for the other end, an utter impossibility in real life. I have never been able to get the switch rails inside the crossings, or vica versa, while keeping the whole thing geometrically sound. It seems to be either/or.
Also of note are at least five sleeper-less lengths of track immediately adjacent to points, while other identical points and crossings appear perfectly. All of my junctions are laid over templates, so 'identical' junctions pretty much are.
And finally, all my 'complex' pointwork is at 4m centers for exactly the reasons given above. One of the nice things about Trainz and modern USA routes is 5 meter centers make this stuff a breeze!!!

Point rodding and signal cables still to be placed, quite possibly one of the reasons I was trying to get out of finishing the thing ;)

Andy

Last edited:
It's certainly awkward to set up using the 3.5 gauge Frank. The track layout for Long Rock will only work if I use single and double slips so I may have to ease the spacing out to 4.0 in order to get everything to fit. From the photos I've seen of Long Rock some of the trackwork is very much squeezed closely together and of course I'm having to work in an already created space that wasn't ideally set up to start with.
I'll keep on with it until I've got it right as I want the new track at Long Rock to work properly without any hitches or glitches.

On my previous post, the trailing slip connection on the "down" 3.5 track (the upper one of the two), when I change the fixed track to procedural track the junction persistently flashes red. I have tried moving it and have repeatedly set it level but "Dave, I can't do that" is the old HAL9000 response from Trainz. I have even tried the three-way junction approach from the trailing crossover on the "up" track but it looks horrible. Dermmy has also encountered the situation where the pointwork finds itself with an impossible configuration. It is galling. Chin up and carry on.

With Dermmy's picture I thought he'd posted a real world example of missing sleepers and then the penny dropped that it was a screenshot from his layout.
With my Cornish Mainline rebuild attempt this is the first time I've seriously used procedural track and I have to say that I do like using it, - only when it goes bung for no understandable reason it is very annoying.

Re: Sleeper-less track adjacent to junctions...

Pretty sure I've worked out the 'why'. When constructing a junction using procedural track, for a short distance after a junction the track draws a common sleeper under both the straight and the diverging routes, which is a really nice feature. The 'sleeperless' problem arises when constructing a crossover with close track centers the track is trying to draw common sleepers through three tracks, and the angle of the sleeper through the central track is at two different (equal but opposite) angles. Which apparently is too hard, so it gives up and draws no sleepers. I have just spend about an hour mucking about with a two-junction crossover and no matter what order or direction I lay the track segments in, at least one lot of sleepers disappears the minute the third track is connected. The best solution I can find is that if you persist, you can get two out of three, but never that ellusive trifecta...

The fix? I'm wondering if there's a config tag that governs the distance over which the track draws common sleepers, an area in which I possess zero talent...

Andy ;)

Last edited:
Dermmy,
Now that you mention it, I thought there was something familiar about your screenshot. I've spent a fair bit of time on your EK3 route, which is still a masterpiece of workmanship. Sadly, the Endless Coal session never worked in TANE, which would have really been slick to run.

Altering it to a UK route is pretty cool. I'm excited to see that you'll be putting it out in that format.

Regards,
Heinrich505

Good news is, I'm updating it to TRS19 standards. You can find it on The Erecting Hall when its done.

Hi all,

A couple of pictures today, both on the Porchester & Bull's Well route, which is brilliant.

1. A Stanier 2P tank, No. 41907, is seen leaving Porchester, while an ex-L&YR Aspinall Class 23, No. 51408 shunts the yard.

unknown.png

2. A relatively new BR Standard Class 5, No. 73049, accelerates through Bull's Well with an inter-regional train for the Western Region.

unknown.png

Credit to GP Locomotives, paulhobbs and PaulzTrainz for these excellent locomotives.

#4310. A pair of outstanding screenshots Andy.

Re: Sleeper-less track adjacent to junctions...

My fix for missing or incomplete sleepers. You have to be really sure you're not going to alter or move the trackwork though.

yeXKphQ.jpg

The BR Standard classes weren't much liked by local crews, but a photo does exist of Standard class 4 No.75028 at Long Rock.

sacaM4K.jpg

The BR Standard classes weren't much liked by local crews, but a photo does exist of Standard class 4 No.75028 at Long Rock.

550524a01-lrk-75028-parkdc5.gif

I believe I found the photograph, with a very similar caption for you! :)

Standard Class 4 75028 is left alone on a storage road at Long Rock shed while other, GWR-derived, designs stand in more immediate use behind. It was said that BR designs weren’t particularly popular with local crews, and this picture is certainly a rarity.

sacaM4K.jpg

Last edited:
#4310. A pair of outstanding screenshots Andy.

My fix for missing or incomplete sleepers. You have to be really sure you're not going to alter or move the trackwork though.

Thanks for both the kind comment and the sleeper fix idea.....

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

All three tracks in the highlighted area were 'sleeperless', the fix was to lay a second section of track over the sleeperless track using the 'shift' key to prevent spline attachment. The interlaced sleepers are a long way from perfect, but it is a zillion times better than 'sleeperless' on anything other than the closest inspection.

Cheers!!

Back in the UK today for a change and I had a dabble at some reskins.

BR Fowler 2p and Mk1 Coaches

BR-Fowler-2p-reskin%2C-Mk1-reskin.jpg

Fowler-%2B-Mk1.jpg

F-Mk1.jpg

At this point I don't know if they will get to the DLS, I haven't made enquiries to get permission.

Tomorrow I am back in Switzerland and the Himalayas (virtually of course ! )

Cheers,

Graham

I believe I found the photograph, with a very similar caption for you! :)

<pictures snipped>

Standard Class 4 75028 is left alone on a storage road at Long Rock shed while other, GWR-derived, designs stand in more immediate use behind. It was said that BR designs weren’t particularly popular with local crews, and this picture is certainly a rarity.

https://curnowcollection.wordpress.com/long-rock-steam-era/

Photos from the Eric Curnow collection are about the only useful Long Rock photo resource available on the internet, - apart from some not very good grainy trainspotter snaps on the Cornwall Railway Society website, - and have been a big help to me with building my 'based on Long Rock' version of the MPD.
The photo of No.75028 in the on-line collection is what inspired my own screenshot. I don't know how often No.75028 will turn up at Penzance, but it will be added to my collection of engines known to have either visited Penzance or were shedded there.

Love your progress, Annie. It really looks great!

Your snaps in #4298 look wonderful.

Gary

Thanks Gary :)

#4315. Well that's certain a quicker and easier way to fix the missing sleeper problem Andy. From photos i could see that the 1950s-1960s ballasting wasn't all nicely banked up and looked pretty much down on its luck so that's why I changed to unballasted track so i could add weeds and clutter later.

#4311. The Porchester & Bull's Well looks like an interesting layout. Nice screenshots Connor.

#4317. Wow Graham what a difference. Nice work.

Annie

Long Rock MPD at Penzance. Still a WIP, but it's getting there. For some reason a large group of buildings surrounded by security fencing had been placed on the MPD site and nothing like them can be seen in any steam era photos so I deleted them all and had a go at making something that looks like the steam era Long Rock MPD. I had to make compromises in order to use what's available, but I think it's mostly recognisable as Long Rock. The combined water tank and coal drops were a landmark at Long Rock for many years and it was the last part of the old MPD to be demolished during the BR Blue error. Hopefully 'Motorway' Marples is presently gainfully employed shovelling out the ashpits down in Hell.

Okay Wow! I go away to recover from a cold and you come up with this masterpiece Annie! Bravo!! Long Rock looks incredible and I can't believe how much you have managed to cover in such a short time! I'd better hurry up and extend the Brighton Route to Exeter St. David's so your beautiful Cornish fleet has somewhere to meet it's Southern compatriots!

Being sick does have it's advantages. I had plenty of time to work on the Route to London! Hassocks has almost reached completion bar the inclusion of trees and other certain foliage. The Gasworks and the Stonepound Sand Pit have also been added in.

P79arYD.jpg
[/IMG]

a4sdgZE.jpg
[/IMG]

SqupMCh.jpg
[/IMG]

EWrjiBc.jpg
[/IMG]

R9Tbm6K.jpg
[/IMG]

In addition, I managed to crank out one more station on the route - Burgess Hill! This one taught me a real valuable lesson in asset placement (the ctrlZ key is your best friend!) and although the lack of certain assets hindered construction, I was able to improvise. I think it looks pretty close to the original!

tUZBZGI.jpg
[/IMG]

mJtQESr.jpg
[/IMG]

UUCaKOD.jpg
[/IMG]

Jkbt7ch.jpg
[/IMG]

RwN2ifu.jpg
[/IMG]

Gotta get some rest now. Once I get back to full strength it's back to work. Wivelsfield and Haywards Heath are waiting!

Tanker46,
I think you've done a very good job at this. I checked a 1961 B&W photo against your screenshot. They are very close. Nice job!

I liked the shots of Hassocks too.

For the little "adjustments" I've done on the Timber Ridge Standard Gauge route in surveyor, I have practically worn out the CTRL-Z keys. :eek:

Recover quickly.

Regards,
Gary

#4320. I hope you're feeling better soon Tanker, but I must say that you have been putting your downtime to good use. Even I can recognise your version of Burgess Hill despite my GER and GWR affiliations. Nice work; - and thanks for your kind comments about Long Rock despite being very WIP in the screenshots you would have seen.

Long Rock now a bit further on and getting close to being finished. I had to make a lot of compromises with it, but I think it's vaguely recognisable as being Long Rock.

HKSf43F.jpg

More Penzance 45xx's have arrived. As old as they are Paul's 45xx's scrubbed up nicely and they are good runners too. There's four at Long Rock now which I think should do me well enough for the time being.

0bD73FZ.jpg

57xx's. Skipper's model on the left is numbered for Penzance's 57xx and GP Loco's model on the right is numbered for Truro's 57xx.

N6d4Ypn.jpg

Last edited:
Back