UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

re post #4261 KotangaGirl

Best of luck with your project, this you may already know of,

https://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2017/07/penzance-1946-1962.html

Cheers, Ken

Thanks Ken, - yes I'd made myself a copy of the Penzance Shed Bash list last time I was messing about with the Cornish Mainline when TS2019 SP2 was the new kid on the block, but it's good to be reminded of it. So far I've installed a very sketched out version of the missing Penzance MPD which will at least be better than no proper MPD at all.

Tx1VUTr.jpg

Thanks tailight, - I'll have to think about whether to get one or not especially since I've just taken on a new project.

Two of Paulz Trainz older locomotives rebuilt and upgraded for TRS19 SP3 and awaiting their duties at Penzance. Both are Cornwall engines. I vowed I wasn't going to do it, but I've started on a rebuild of the Cornish Mainline, - the TANE version, not the TS2019 overgrown with elephant grass version. My plan is to start at Penzance and properly align all the trackwork and fix the signals which are a total mess. Unless something really offends my eye I'll stick to that plan. I have OS maps and old photos for parts of the route, but if I tried to correct everything I think I'd drive myself mad.
Time period will be early BR and a part of my plan is to get rid of all non-Cornish engines from the route; - the 'Kings' at Penzance were the first to go. I've ordered a couple of 'County' class 4-6-0s from Paul and depending on how my pocket money spins out more Cornish engines will follow.

iUDAO3T.jpg

That's sounds wonderful Annie! Seeing as I'm building the Brighton Route in the same fashion then I will happily assist you wherever I can! It will be interesting to see how far you take this. :D

The GWR 1000 County Class was really the answer to a lot of the problems that the Kings faced due to their *ahem* "weighted issues". The 1000s performed extremely well and ruled Cornwall with an iron fist until their withdrawal.

Some other more notable Cornish GWR Classes would be:

GWR 4700 Night Owl Class

GWR 6800 Grange Class

GWR 8750 Class

GWR 9400 Class

Pilotwoo and I have talked about this and he definitely has the Kings in mind for a future project. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes up a County or Castle in the future either! ;)

Thanks very much Tanker. Thank you for your encouraging comments as well Ken. (Lovely screenshot by the way)
I suppose I'll push on from Penzance and see how it goes. If I find it annoying and too much to finish I could just cut the route off short and put in a return loop with storage sidings, but hopefully it won't come to that. Compared with how the environmental lighting was in SP2 when I was testing out the Cornish Mainline I haven't had to do a thing to it in SP3. What you see in the screenshots is how it was right out of the box.

My feeling is that what Trainz needs is the smaller GWR 4-6-0's, not a 'King' class, but that's just my opinion. "Counties', 'Halls', 'Granges', they are a lot more use than a 'King' when it comes to running a layout. I will be checking out your list Tanker as well as the Shed Bash lists for 83G Penzance and planning out my acquisitions accordingly.

No.1004 'County of Somerset' on a test run to Cambourne. I have No.1020 'County of Monmouth' as well.

KMpY9lY.jpg

7fNX1k8.jpg

TAx3DxD.jpg

KotangaGirl,
Wow, that is really exciting news, Annie. Not being from that side of the pond, I was enjoying the Cornish Mainline route as is, not knowing any better about how overgrown it was or the inaccuracies of the route or consists on the route.

It will be really neat to see it rendered properly by you. I am certain that if you frown at it enough, it will turn out just right! :cool:

Thank-you for taking on this task.

Re: #4267 Your screenshots look great and I think you've captured the grey, cloudy weather perfectly.

And, I agree with you, Ken's posted screenshot is simply amazing, as always.

Regards,
Gary

KotangaGirl,
Wow, that is really exciting news, Annie. Not being from that side of the pond, I was enjoying the Cornish Mainline route as is, not knowing any better about how overgrown it was or the inaccuracies of the route or consists on the route.

It will be really neat to see it rendered properly by you. I am certain that if you frown at it enough, it will turn out just right! :cool:

Thank-you for taking on this task.

Re: #4267 Your screenshots look great and I think you've captured the grey, cloudy weather perfectly.

And, I agree with you, Ken's posted screenshot is simply amazing, as always.

Regards,
Gary

Thanks a lot Gary. Right from when I first saw the early versions of what would ultimately become the Cornish Mainline & Branches route I was hooked. As a route it must've taken its creator Robert3a0 hundreds and hundreds of hours to bring into being, BUT that being said the route does have problems due to having been created using modern day images from Google Earth as it's source so there are lots of anachronisms. The signalling and track alignments need overhauling and much of the rolling stock and engines on the route aren't correct for Cornwall. Robert3a0 describes it as being a 1930s route, but it's not. It actually works best as a post- WW2 BR steam era route in my opinion.
I have an on-going project to take part of the Cornish Mainline back to the 1880s, but that's on hold at the moment as I pretty much burned myself out doing the very necessary research for that project. I think I will have a bit more luck with trying to represent Cornwall during the 1950s.

As fascinating as it might be to get a 'Night Owl' from Paul I really need to buy some 'Granges' from him, - sooooo many 'Granges' either visited or were shedded at Penzance. 'County of Somerset' and 'County of Cornwall' were both Penzance engines in the late 1950's. My 45xx No.4545 is a Penzance engine, but I'm going to need at least a couple more 45xx's. I'm still working down the Penzance shed lists at the moment so I can place another order with Paul and I think my wallet has run away and is hiding.

I have several Granges from Paul and they are excellent performers.

Honestly, the Grange is by far my favorite GWR 4-6-0s.They were smaller wheeled Halls that were designed for fast and heavy goods trains but proved to be excellent for mixed traffic work. Essentially, they're the GWR version of the LSWR S15. They were a staple of the Cornish Region especially along the Rivera Line from Exeter to Kingswear.

A while back Robd made a reskin of my favorite Grange Class No.6870 Bodicote Grange. It's my preferred model I use when I run GWR stock and I will probably continue to use it until Pilotwoo or someone else makes a TRS19 compatible version.

Thanks to the kindness of Chrisaw and Robd I now have useful quantities of Granges and other classes seen at Penzance. An engine I was missing from the Penzance roster was 'County of Cornwall' and I've managed to fix that problem with a little careful retexturing, - so now between Paul and Chrisaw I have the three Penzance 'County' class locomotives.
Tanker, - if your Granges from Paul are running as well as the Counties that I got from him then they should be running very well indeed. As old and simple models as they are I had no problems at all with installing them into TRS19.

What is it that they say about Great Western engines all looking the same except in the finer details. Longrock MPD is just about bursting! Not surprising really since I'm representing a five road engine shed with a two road one. To make the MPD the correct size I'd have to start demolishing a lot of buildings and moving roadways and I've decided that I'm not going to do that. My overhaul of the route is going to stay inside the railway boundary fences as they presently stand.
The Cornwall Railway Society website is proving useful for figuring out details, but they are a bit too keen on diesels for my liking.

ezL60Vz.jpg

Thanks Gary. I'm strongly tempted to remove all the spurious buildings in the background and make the engine shed the correct size. I have a signal box diagram for Long Rock as well as some photos from before everything was wiped out and destroyed during the BR Blue error. The problem is where do i stop? - the whole route is based on Gaggle Earth images from the i980s, - which is why Long Rock MPD was left off Robert3a0's original route.
In some ways it would easier to demolish everything and take the whole route back to 1890 than attempt to make a 1950s route out of it.

Anyway here's a WIP snap of Ponsandane sidings. It's about the best I can do considering that the whole line out to Marazion is the post 1974 BR Blue error track reduction and not how it was in the 1950s and 1960s. The footbridge shouldn't be there as there should be a level crossing instead. All I've done is replace the awful 1970s concrete footbridge mess with a lattice version while I make up my mind about whether I should install the level crossing or not.

74eRg8s.jpg

As mentioned earlier in this thread, a little bit of adjustment in IMeditor can make a big difference to how the older look in TSS19. I haven't done any WR locos yet myself, but this H15 is getting a bit of attention at the moment. In these screenshots only the loco body has received the new material, the motion and tender are still to do.
view_media_post

view_media_post

old-loco%2C-new-material.jpg

old-loco%2C-new-material-2.jpg

I'm trying to get a dull sheen, pretty much how I remember most locos looking due to a coating of oil, smoke and coal dust.
Chris.

Looks good. I think the finish you've managed to get there looks better than the the glossy look of TRS2019's new materials, it looks more realistic and less model like but that's a highly subjective opinion! I must get to grips with IMeditor.

Rob.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, a little bit of adjustment in IMeditor can make a big difference to how the older look in TSS19. I haven't done any WR locos yet myself, but this H15 is getting a bit of attention at the moment. In these screenshots only the loco body has received the new material, the motion and tender are still to do.

<pictures snipped>

I'm trying to get a dull sheen, pretty much how I remember most locos looking due to a coating of oil, smoke and coal dust.
Chris.

I can remember that same look here in NZ during the last days of steam on the NZGR Chris. I have done some materials editing on one or two of my older engines by Paulz Trainz and I've been pleased with the results. I find I have to be in the mood for doing it as well as having my wits about me in order to be successful at it.

With the latest surge in North Eastern Railway Content:

I present the Raven T2 Class! Also known as the LNER Q6 Class! :)

While a few weeks old now, it's such a beautiful model! I know I don't have quite the right rolling stock! :hehe:
(You won't have to go hunting! It comes from here: https://ironcladinsteam.wixsite.com/britishlocoworks3d/models :D)

I love all the other screenshots here! I love especially looking at what you're up to Kotangagirl!
:p

Hi all: Username 'clekev' came about after a two-year Trainz hiatus which followed a total hard disk fail which cost me lots of work on three very significant US-themed routes. Backups? Sorry, I don't understand the question.... "Dermmy's" password was long forgotten, so 'clekev' was invented at the time I was in a position to download Ts19. Helpdesk have since helped me resolve the dual identity problem.
The UK themed route I have been working on in the interim boils down to a very few miles of double track 'main' (savage curves abound) and a mineral/private/whatever branch which serves two quarries. The DEM base is part of my old East Kentucky route (is anybody still reading??) but once stripped of it's tree cover, if the room is dark enough it vaguely passes as maybe Dales/Highlands or something. Very vaguely...
I mean to move onto a more 'serious' non-UK route (Australia this time!) but the point of this ramble is that if more than a couple of people express an interest in this whimsical flight of fancy, it's not that far off 'finished' (rofl) and I'm happy to bash on with it and shoot it up to the DLS. Comments invited....

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Third screenie was taken before Ed updated the textures on the 0-6-0

Cheers, Andy ;)

Last edited:
1893 - Morning express between Gateshead and Bensham

Very nice SuperspeedMaglev, good luck with the Cornish mods Annie, great shots Ken.
A little diversion back to the early 1890s, so very much pre-BR Blue!
A Worsdell J Class single heads towards Bensham on the south bank of the Tyne with a morning express from Newcastle to Liverpool via York.

At this point in time, the early 1890s, Queen Victoria is halfway between her Golden and Diamond jubilees, the Prince of Wales remains an infamous playboy, road traffic is almost entirely horse-drawn (with a few steam wagons),
and there is no King Edward bridge. Therefore all Anglo-Scottish trains have to reverse at Newcastle Central station.

The train, entirely made up of six-wheelers weighs around 120 tons.

Dermmy: please bash on with your 'whimsical flight of fancy' and get it to the DLS asap. It looks a very convincing part of the Dales to me!

Back