UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

KotangaGirl,
Re: Post 3796, forgive me if this is a silly question.

With that push-pull configuration, and the engine sandwiched between coaches, how did the driver see ahead very well? Did he have someone in the lead coach that would give him hand signals, or did he just really lean way out of the engine to see ahead? Did they converse with WiFi? :hehe: I was paying attention when you noted that about your coaches in a post. Just about fell off my chair laughing - good one.

Just curious, as it would appear that is not an uncommon set-up for UK passenger consists of that time.

Heinrich505

Heinrich, the driving compartment at the front of the leading coach has a set of controls that are connected to the locomotive so the driver can drive the locomotive from the driving compartment. The fireman stays in the loco cab to perform his usual tasks with tending the fire and maintaining boiler pressure.
Some control systems such as that used by the LNER were vacuum operated and some others were operated by a system of cables and pulleys.

This picture is of a Sentinel railmotor driving compartment, but it's not all that different from what would be found in the driving compartment of a push-pull trailer coach.

zaf8rM0.jpg

Edit: Ken's cats and fish van picture.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Last edited:
Always a joy too see little No.7 again Annie! I have grown rather fond of your single drive tank engine! :D

Thanks Tanker. The single driver tank engines are assigned to the small MPD at Great Marsh on the Windweather Loop Line where they spend their time chasing the horizon across the fen country while working the local passenger service. In the usual course of things they would be a rare sight at Moxbury, but everything is a bit mixed up at the moment while Im getting my Norfolk layout sorted out in TANE.

vGiUEuP.jpg

Hi

The BB locos were sent to the ER to cover for Britannia locos that had been taken out of service due to the driving wheels having moved on their axles. The BBs covered for the Britannias while modifications were made to them.

Regards

Brian

1956 - An A4 and a Liverpool - Newcastle Bank Holiday Relief

Steve Banks has posted a shot on his website of Gateshead A4 60016 Silver King in charge of a Bank Holiday relief train to the 5.0 pm Liverpool to Newcastle passing Neville Hill East SB. It was 7.16 pm on Tuesday 7th August 1956. So, while I don't have A4 60016, nor the repanelled P1 CK behind the tender I have recreated an approximation of the train as it approaches York. 60019 Bittern is at the head of the train and a kengreen D1716 CK stands in for the strengthening CK at the head of the train. Steve reports that the LMR provided the stock for the train, mostly PIII Staniers, and that while A4s were not unknown at Leeds City and Neville Hill they weren't common.

Approaching Chaloner's Whin on the former Y&NMR line, "the old main line" from Normanton, which the line from Leeds joined at Church Fenton.

Passing Chaloner's Whin junction, on the fast line. Picking up speed after a signal check (The York District Controller's office will be telephoning someone about that!)

Through the bridge north of Chaloner's Whin on the way to Dringhouses. Continuing to accelerate.

Continuing on its way to York. Dringhouses yards are just ahead after the next bridge.

Given that it was a Tuesday I am a little surprised that the traffic was heavy enough to require relief between Liverpool and Newcastle but the original photographer had provided notes on the back of the photograph Steve acquired. Date, time, place, loco details and train details.

The "old main line" of the York & North Midland Railway ran from Normanton on the Midland Railway to the original terminal station within the walls at York. This brought the first trains from London Euston to the city. This line was still described in N.E.R. timetables as "The Main Line" as late as WWI, despite London to York express passenger trains having been long routed via the GNR to Doncaster and thence the NER through Selby. The former Y&NMR line between York and Chaloner's Whin was quadrupled by the NER around 1903, along with quadrupling between South Milford and Burton Salmon.

Loco by Camscott (Darlington Works), rolling stock by Kengreen and Auran, signals and gantries by Chrisaw and Signal Box by Johnwhelan.

Last edited:
"Strangers on the Southern" brings up a list of visitors mainly ex LMS but looks ot be from magazines & gives dates & workings which are interesting. Even an 8F on a commuter trip from Waterloo to Basingstoke.

post #3809: those are very evocative shots for me borderreiver - I can confirm what you say about the A4's in the area in the late 1950s. I did most of my train watching at Crossgates, just along the Leeds-York line from Neville
Hill shed and, while not rare, A4's were always a special sight. In particular, a crowd would gather at Crossgates for the 'half-fiver' every evening - an express heading towards Leeds always pulled by an A1, A2 or A4, the A4 often being Bittern. Strangely, none of the watching youngsters ever seemed to know where the 'half-fiver' came from or went to.....!

Great shots as always evilcrow....

Ken, great shots as ever.
Neville, I might have to do some digging to try and see where the "half-fiver" was from. I thnk that Steve Banks is a native of Leeds. His personal shots from the 60s are around Leeds sheds.
Here is one of Bittern with the holiday relief at York in the gathering gloom of the evening.

Meanwhile, ten minutes behind it comes the 5pm from Liverpool past Askham Bog SB, for which Bittern it is hauling the relief.

The relief is in the hands of A3 60083 Sir Hugo of Heaton shed. the train is provided by the NE Region and made up of both BR Mk1 and thompson carriages. The D49/2 piloting it is 62751 The Allbrighton, a Scarborough engine. The train is not too heavy for an A3. Steve's opinion on his site is that it is possible 62751 was paired with 60083 merely in order to get it back to York.

Last edited:
Excellent screenshots Frank. We don't often get to see A4 Pacifics in this thread.

re post #3803 Kotangagirl

No cats in this one Annie, just a bear and friends.Nice pics of your route and Loco BTW.

Thanks very much Ken. (I am a little worried about that bear though).

I'm enjoying your GWR screenshots, so I thought I'd post some of my own from my 1890s Minehead branch route.
I had a near disaster with almost losing my TS2019 SP1 install which is where I keep my 19th century GWR projects, but fortunately I had backups of the routes and their assets as well as an SP1 back up so I was able to get everything setup up again without too much trouble.

FVINN5s.jpg

cThakKc.jpg

m69KuLd.jpg

Good work Annie.
Lewisner, regarding post #3789, setting the date is an important consideration but, in my opinion, at the end of the day we aren't building museum quality reproductions but a representation that we enjoy. My own NW Durham route would need to split up in to four or five versions to differentiate between late NER (post-WWI), early LNER (1920s), later LNER (1930s & 40s), BR steam (1940s, 50s & 60s) and BR Diesel (1960s & 70s). Just looking at the three NLS 25 inch to the mile maps of the Consett area for 1895, 1916 and 1938 show significant differences.

I have been doing a lot of work tweaking the area around Consett on the route.

Here, one of Consett iron Company's A Class long-boilered 0-6-0STs is exercising the company's running powers between Medomsley junction and the company's colliery at Eden Hill, just to the east of Leadgate.

Unfortunately it's all moot at the moment because as I mentioned in my thread in Surveyor a few days ago I pressed "Revert Changes" when I opened the simulator and succeeded in vaporising 9 days of intensive route building. It is supposedly stored in a backup but despite the efforts of other Trainzers to advise me on how to restore from the backup it has came to nothing. There's no way I can face redoing all that work so I plan to submit a ticket to N3V and if they can't help I will abandon work on it for the foreseeable future.

Lewisner, that indeed is a heavy blow to suffer. My sympathies. I learned that lesson the hard way 31 years ago as a young officer when the ship's lifting gear database on the 1Mb SCSI HDD within the bridge IBM PS2 PC died on us. That was the day we learned the technical term "backup". The new HDD was delivered and installed quickly but the 700+ manhours restoring the DB outside of watchkeeping and shipboard duties spread over three months was a memorable time. I try to backup all payware assets along with frequent backups of routes and some DLS assets but since the process is administered by a human (moi) it has periodically revealed imperfections. The complete re-install of TRS2019 in Dec 2020 due to my SP2 upgrade apocalypse was ample demonstration of those imperfections in backup on my part. In a small number of assets I found it either in the older 2Tb backup external HDD or the desktop PC installations of TS12. T:ANE or TRS2019 SP1.

All I can say is that when the bruising subsides and a bit of time elapses, you might be able to face the task and set to work.

Unfortunately it's all moot at the moment because as I mentioned in my thread in Surveyor a few days ago I pressed "Revert Changes" when I opened the simulator and succeeded in vaporising 9 days of intensive route building. It is supposedly stored in a backup but despite the efforts of other Trainzers to advise me on how to restore from the backup it has came to nothing. There's no way I can face redoing all that work so I plan to submit a ticket to N3V and if they can't help I will abandon work on it for the foreseeable future.

Oooooo that's rough lewisner. Having only just dodged a similar bullet myself by the skin of my teeth you have my utmost sympathy. I did lose some of my work, but my two main 19th century projects have survived.

I'd say take Frank's advice if the helpdesk can't help and leave things alone for a while. Once things feel less raw you might find that you can go back and try again.

#3820. Your 'Middy' layout is coming on nicely tailight.

Ex-LNER G5 No. 67322 shedded at 30A Stratford and then later at 31A Cambridge. It was one of the push-pull fitted G5's to be transferred into GER territory by BR and was photographed several times back in the day lurking about on the Saffron Walden branch. Thanks to the wonderful railuk.info website I was able to find out which G5's were push-pull fitted and where they were transferred to in the early BR era. https://www.railuk.info/steam/getsteamclass.php?item=G5
One of Cameron Scott's nice BR G5 models found itself being edited into a GER area G5 this morning and I may do another one (or two).

Well N3V said they couldn't help me restore the backup so I have had to bite the bullet and rebuild the lost work, saving manually to a CDP on a firestick every day now. Here is D9009 Alycidon heading a northbound diverted ECML train through Shincliffe station (closed 1941) in 1962. As always I am working from a tiny number of photos and the 1946 25" to the mile OS map.

Alycidon at Shincliffe 16.4.2021 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Back