UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

r
re post #3759 KotangaGirl.
Your railmotor Annie, a wonderful idea. Must say I concur with robd over the self made additions, carriage destination boards would be nice (hint, hint).

Still in TANE

<image snipped>

Cheers, evilcrow

Thanks very much Ken. I'm still learning how to do 3D modelling, but carriage destination boards sound like something I should give a try. Let me go off and have a play with the idea and I'll get back to you.

Splendid model looking not quite right on fb rail, but it's the route I was working on at the time....

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Last edited:
...carriage destination boards would be nice (hint, hint)...

Great hint! I've been looking at various assets I could cobble up in to destination boards, none quite suitable, some dedicated destination boards would be great! - sorry, off topic!

Rob.

Wow! Excellent screenshot clekev! The lighting is perfect and really sets the mood!

And excellent choice on using No.750 Morgan Le Fay! The lush scenery makes me believe that the train is treading on what once might have been Camelot country! :hehe:

Great hint! I've been looking at various assets I could cobble up in to destination boards, none quite suitable, some dedicated destination boards would be great! - sorry, off topic!

Rob.

Still off topic, - mea culpa.

So when you say you want carriage destination boards are you talking about the large 135 in X 5 in ones, - or do you mean the smaller 32 in X 3.5 in ones?

#3767. Nice to see my push-pull motor train coaches in use tailight.

Thanks Ken. The sizes I quoted in my post were taken from two types of surviving original boards, but it seems that they came in a number of sizes including some real monsters.

Thanks Paul! They are really cool huh?

All the credit goes to Evilcrow for the 9400. I noticed that he made a fantastic reskin of the 9400 in one of his recent screenshots and he was kind enough to give me a copy.

I really like this reskin! I've tried over and over and over again and I just couldn't get the reskin right and Ken got it perfectly! :D

Thanks for the response. I certainly does look very good. I wonder if this reskin will be uploaded?

Paul

Somewhere LBSCR

Brewery take over and 'Dobbin' facing redundancy.

Many thanks Annie for the new wagons, really well made. The beer will go down a treat.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, Ken.

Great shot Ken. Mind you, if that shot is springtime 1914 "Dobbin" possibly has a much darker fate ahead of them than retirement. The government requisitioned 145,000 horses in 1914 at the outbreak of WWI. One of them was Beauty, the grocer's horse at Minsterley. She never returned from military service. Unfortunately, unlike Warhorse, there were very few happy endings for those ordinary working horses. As Siegfried Farnon of Only Fools and Horses fame told James Heriot, he was an army veterinarian officer during WWI and he felt that the very worst job he had was overseeing the shooting of thousands of horses as it was considered not worth the expense of repatriating them to the UK. During my ancestry search I found out that one of my maternal grandmother's older brothers had been with the field artillery, with his work handling horses both before WWI and after WWI probably meaning he was also involved with that in the artillery too.

That's a really interesting story Frank. You're a treasure trove of information!

That's a really long way for those GER Vans to travel but boy do they look good! That new brewery might need it's own shunter if it ends up becomes a success in Sussex county!

That makes me wonder... Were there any places in Southern UK where the LNER and SR met? I know the GWR and LMS crisscrossed with the SR at Oxford and several other places, but I don't think I have ever seen a place where the Eastern and Southern Giants met!

Hello tanker. There were meetings between the SR and LNER on a daily basis through goods wagons, whether in the common user pool or not. The wagons not in the common user pool would be loaded in the LNER or SR and sent to the customer in the SR or LNER for unloading. Under typical NER/LNER rules one consignee putting 2 Tons of traffic for one single customer at one site could be provided with one wagon with which to carry that traffic. Once emptied it was meant to be returned to the point of origin as quickly as practiable. This was supposed to prevent the "evil" of transhipment, which was the main reason for the abandonment of broad gauge. Of course, transhipment took place on a daily basis at hundreds of sites across all the main line railway companies because a significant fraction of general goods traffic was in consignments of less than 2 tons to one customer at one site or to be distributed to multiple sites of that customer. Peter Tatlow was motivated to research his books because as a child in WWII he wondered why his LMS locality seemed to have so many LNER wagons. Even the typical GWR country branch would not have been served exclusively by GWR wagons. Some of Tatlow's shots of former NER wagons are actually taken during the mid-1920s at Barmouth GWR!

Most carriages on a post-grouping railway are of that company, with a small fraction of through carriages or through trains from other companies, but wagons came from almost anywhere. FYI - the LMS was No.1 for cattle wagons with the GWR No.2 The LNER was No.3 and the SR No.4 but both the SR and LNER together did not outrank the GWR. Steve Banks says that race traffic is an underestimated traffic, with significant numbers of racehorses being moved about the country as well as racing excursions to places such as Doncaster, Cheletenham, Aintree and Ascot as well as lesser courses at Wetherby, Newcastle, Lincoln, Chester and York.

I see! That's something I didn't realize about Post Grouping Goods Traffic! It makes sense though. I remember seeing a photograph of a Maunsell Q Class hauling a long train of Blue Spot Fish Vans so it's safe to say this practice survived all the way to BR service as well! Thanks for the info Frank!

So there were no stations or junctions that the LNER and SR met I presume? I love the idea of places like Oxford, Skipton and Exeter St Davids because of the variety of different engines coming and going is really appealing! :D

Back