UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Your story and details about the breakwater plate movement out of the harbor are great! The screenshots are excellent and helped convey the action.

Agree, His stories are always amazing

Wow! Thanks fellas!

I didn't know you liked them so much! I will keep on making new stories for you to enjoy!

Who was pushing from the rear? They deserve at least an honorable mention.

You have an EXCELLENT eye for detail Heinrich. I had actually forgotten that it was visible in the back of the shot!

I realized that three whole girder sections would be a bit much for even four 2F classified locomotives. So the mystery engine happens to be...

ESFrDxY.jpg
[/IMG]

GWR 4200 Class No.4202! The class of 2-8-0s entered traffic shortly before WW1 and were built in order to handle heavy coal traffic in South Wales once the GWR took over that area from the Barry, Taff Valley and Rhymey Railways. No. 4202 was originally a Cardiff Cathays engine responsible for bringing the shipments of Welsh Anthracite Coal that the P14s, C8s and so many other Dearnby engines relied on. However, it was occasionally used as a bit of "western muscle" around the dock and shunting yards like you see here today. 4202's strength ensures that none of the four 0-6-0Ts break down from overexertion as they are all regular dockside shunters and therefore vital to the success of the docks.

4202 became a resident of Dearnby Sheds in 1924 after its duties on the welsh mineral runs were replaced by Collett's new 5600 Class 0-6-2Ts. Nevertheless, it proved to be an excellent asset to the western motive power at Dearnby and remained there for almost four decades before finally being called home to Cardiff Cathays in 1952.

35LahTA.jpg
[/IMG]

35LahTA.jpg
[/IMG]

WBtaGX8.jpg
[/IMG]

A little bit more of the girder operation. After clearing the narrow walls of the dockyard the heavy train trundles past the signal box and towards the machinist sheds before they can reach the main line. One can only imagine the look on the signalman's face as he witnessed the strange cavalcade go by! :hehe:

#3725, Yay Dukedog! One of my favourite engines. Another excellent screenshot Ken.

#3723. When Steve Flanders made those Pollen C heavy load wagons I watched his video and I wondered how anyone would manage to use them. Nice to see you giving them an airing Tanker. Oh and I have to say I enjoy your storytelling too.

Another excellent shot from you Ken! Those Dukedogs are a really pleasant sight - shame they only operated the Cambrian lines though.

When Steve Flanders made those Pollen C heavy load wagons I watched his video and I wondered how anyone would manage to use them. Nice to see you giving them an airing Tanker. Oh and I have to say I enjoy your storytelling too.

Thanks Annie! I always enjoy developing my stories further since it gives the project a bit more heart you know? The encouragement I get from you and the others makes me really motivated to do more with it as well! (I'm still working out more stories from Charlie Starkey as well!)

Part Three of the Girder Crusaders!

QtPTEkG.jpg
[/IMG]

The quintet of shunters has finally made it to the halfway point! :) After exiting the machine shop of Dearnby Ironworks the last obstacle before the main line is the receiving dock at the mouth of the entry to the ironworks! It just became noon and the shunters use the third track to avoid the pickup lines and the industrial shunters hard at work.

kNAOZlF.jpg
[/IMG]

QUDmWRl.jpg
[/IMG]

At long last the main line is in sight! But alas the signal is not in their favor. They must wait for an oncoming express train to clear the section before progressing towards Badgercombe. As they wait, the crews of the engines take the moment to make sure the components of their shunters are okay and that their joints are greased properly.

J4ECB19.jpg
[/IMG]

After what seems like forever, the sight of GWR Atlantic No.103 races into view with the Oxford Connecting Express The Sea Oracle. As it clears the signal, the train can finish it's mission!

S6hnyGj.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks Ken! I'll keep up the narrative and you keep those amazing Dukedogs coming!

I'm so glad to see other Trainz users know about BRDatabase. It's been an invaluable resource for me since I started my projects in Trainz. You'd be surprised how many people haven't heard of it!

I did some research on the Oxford Dukedogs as well. Turns out that they were used on secondary services but spent most of their time in storage before being sent back to Swindon in 1957. Thanks for giving me that new learning experience! :D

Last edited:
1914 - South Pelaw Jcn - 290 Class 0-6-0T on Loco Coal Trip Working

A N.E.R. Worsdell 290 Class 0-6-0T of Blaydon shed on a short loco coal trip working bringing empties to Stella Gill sidings to exchange for loaded loco coal wagons for Low Fell yard and Blaydon shed.

Nice screenshot Frank. I have a soft spot for the class '290's (J77).

Dukedogs ahoy! Another great screenshot Ken. An essay in light and shadow.

And the intrepid 0-6-0s are soldiering on Tanker. I think everyone involved will be looking forward a nice cup of tea once that job is done.

The Affiliated (Imaginary) Railway Companies' No.3 simmers quietly at Elgar Junction MPD on my Norfolk layout. Once her crew have finished their cuppa they'll be taking a train of empty wagons back to Windweather Harbour.

yP5HYEK.jpg

G4A82v9.jpg

1914 - ECML and a 290 Class on Loco Coal Trip Working

Thanks Annie. I have commissioned paul to update the 290 Class with autocouplings, new HD lettering and a couple of detail tweaks.
Next up I am thinking of commissioning the 1921 290 Class rebuilds which had Worsdell cabs fitted and had slightly longer frames.

The 290 on the return run passing Birtley station.

An A3 on a Down express thunders through St James Park as an N15 coasts to a standstill on an Up semi-fast...

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Early days on a vaguely CJ Freezer "Minories" inspired route, probably of the 'model railway' sort...

Last edited:
re posts #3731 & 3733 borderreiver
New locos and scenery to view. Route is looks top notch, many thanks.
re post #3732 KotangaGirl
Thanks for the compliment Annie, hope the ARC crew enjoyed their tea.
re post #3734 clekev
Nice to see a new screenshot poster.

Still in TANE

Cheers, evilcrow

1914 - ECML - Ouston Junction and a 290 on a Loco Coal Trip working

Thanks Evilcrow and welcome to the world of screenshotting Clekev.

At Ouston jcn in NE England the Blaydon shed 290 class 0-6-0T comes off the chord from South Pelaw jcn.
Worsdell's early 1900s 0-6-0T rebuild of Fletcher's Bogie Tank Passenger 0-4-4Ts of 1870s/1880s vintage produced fifty sturdy and reliable engines capable of heavier work than the E and E1 Classes of 0-6-0T (LNER J71 & J72). Raven rebuilt a further ten BTPs in 1921 with Worsdell type cabs and modified bunkers on lengthened frames. They were eventually spread over 21 different sheds across the whole N.E.R. with Hull Dairycoates having the highest concentration at one shed. Most were kept busy marshalling and moving coal wagons but two were fitted with Westinghouse gear early on for Tweedmouth shed, where a late-running train off the Kelso branch could recover time by having a fitted 290/J77 break off from shunting to couple up to the rear of the branch passenger train and then head across to Berwick station, saving the branch loco having to run round its train at Tweedmouth station.

Several clocked up over eighty years in traffic

Last edited:
In my efforts to reopen the Leamside Line and branches I have used a little artistic licence at Sherburn House station on the Durham Elvet branch so instead of closing to normal passenger trains in 1931 here it is in 1950 with a northbound train hauled by a G5. The mostly abandoned line to Shincliffe Town is on the left. Luckily I copied the signalling plan from the original in the Kew Public Record Office many years ago so all the signals have the correct numbers !

G5 at Sherburn House Station 26.3.2021 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Re post #3736 amigacooke
Thank you for the compliment.
re posts by lewisner, Taillight98 and borderreiver, thanks for the NE facts, must have a look at the Ian Allen pregrouping atlas.

Still in TANE

Cheers, evilcrow

Back