UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Must say Highland Railway likes lighting there locos One left cab or tender waist level, 1 Top front and last on right side top cab show white at front and red on rear of each. exception of the Left Duke of Sutherland's Train witch is arranged different
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Tom

Last edited:
That looks excellent Tom! I quite like the lighting on Ed's HR Locos to be honest. Gives them a really flashy look when running at night! :)

Post #3686 - Thanks Ken! I am currently working out the process and it's extremely helpful! Do you think this would work with skipper's Castles and Manors as well?

Post #3687 - Aww thanks Annie! :) I had a difficult time deciding whether to use the RMS Olympic or the RMS Mauretania for the harbor stopover but since Olympic's berth was Southampton it felt fitting to use Mauretania. The real credit goes to Steveflanders because 90 percent of his assets were used to turn Dearnby into the Edwardian masterpiece it is today!

Now a bit more Dearnby Railway history if you will. In 1907 the LSWR and LNWR began a joint service to Liverpool for passengers traveling on the RMS Lusitania and RMS Mauretania across the Atlantic. The service was aptly named "The Coastal Cunarder". The dockyards at Dearnby were also expanded to accommodate small passenger liners that couldn't dock in Southampton due to overcrowding.

Around the same time the GWR began a new express service from Oxford to Dearnby for passengers wishing to travel on the Coastal Cunarder and other small liners out of Dearnby. Due to traffic from dozens of pre-grouping railways during the time period the locomotives had to be able to quickly accelerate and depart from Oxford for the train to be effective. To that end George Jackson Churchward designed two 4-4-2 Atlantics off of the La France prototype for heavy express trains along the GWR mainline. The two locomotives proved to be highly successful when introduced to welsh anthracite and were assigned to the express train until their withdrawal shortly before the start of WW2.

On this morning the new service is being headed by No.104 Alliance. The introduction of the GWR Atlantics was the foundation of the deep establishment of GWR roots that would remain until the late 1960s.

7xGqdP4.jpg
[/IMG]

MwE8saQ.jpg
[/IMG]

LOTquTu.jpg
[/IMG]

The train rolls into St. Bennett as its the last stop before the final stretch to Dearnby Central. As it does it crosses paths with local Precursor Tank on an unusually heavy stopping train. The tank is filling in for a Great Albert class that failed earlier this morning. This was a common occurrence and attributed to the longevity of Precursor Tanks on the Dearnby network in the future.

Vdqnjpb.jpg
[/IMG]

aY5Gg9B.jpg
[/IMG]

re post #3706 Tanker46
Great shots.
Once you got the right co-ordinates in the config, it will work, just needs adjusting to avoid the casting of shadows. It will be "trail and error" I'm afraid, so be prepared to take your time.

Cheers, Ken

Thanks Ken! It certainly is a challenge to be sure! I have tried tinkering with the environment settings in route editor but so far no luck.

You mentioned coordinates and a config file in your last post. This is the first time I've heard of it, could you please tell me more?

1924 - J22 Cab View of Auckland Junction from a down goods

The fireman's view from the cab of a J22 0-6-0 as it approaches Auckland Junction on a down goods.

The line merging from the left is the Sunderland and Bishop Auckland branch, built in 1857.

Wrong end of the stick

Thanks Ken! I'm still working on getting the lighting down the way I want but I am not there yet!

Speaking of screenshots, great job to you as well! Is that 72xx a reskin job too? I've been trying to put early crests on that locomotive for years but they always end up backwards on one side!! :D
RE post 3709 Tanker46

Thanks Ken! It certainly is a challenge to be sure! I have tried tinkering with the environment settings in route editor but so far no luck.

You mentioned coordinates and a config file in your last post. This is the first time I've heard of it, could you please tell me more?
Tanker46

Hello Tanker46

I was under the impression that you were asking about the early crests for BR locos and thats the reason I sent you a PM. Have a look in you PM folder.

Cheers, Ken

Ah! I see! I did see your PM and I am applying the process to the 72xx. Guess it was miscommunication on my part! :hehe:

More from Dearnby 1900s-1910s!

One of the lesser known aspects of Dearnby's Dockyard System is that it was worked between two different railways! When Dearnby's network was first founded the LSWR contracted slate and stone shipments from the GWR. In addition to their famous anthracite, the GWR made quite a bit of profit in the region and maintained a friendly relationship with both the rival company and the citizens of Dearnby. The end result was that the LSWR and GWR worked in tandem at the docks by developing a unique system of signaling and sharing rolling stock between the two.

In the early years the GWR heavily relied on the 850 Class 0-6-0ST shunters developed by George Armstrong. The small saddle tanks were exactly what was needed to maneuver the tight curves and corners of the then cramped keyside. The shunters underwent conversions from saddle tanks to the famous panniers in 1910 and were some of the pioneers of this traditionally Great Western design.

Dearnby owned five of them until the introduction of Alcroft's 1361 Class and Collett's 1366 Class in 1921 and 1934 respectively. Four of them were sent to St. Phillips Marsh to be reallocated elsewhere but one remained at Dearnby with the docks.

S8aCtee.jpg
[/IMG]

GWR No.1216 was one of the first shunters to ever work the docks and was very beloved by its crews. The pannier was well looked after and was in better condition then its brethren during the time of reallocation and therefor was allowed to stay by the GWR's top brass. This little loco ended up surviving all the way until 1958 and was marked for preservation later the same year.

Today it is working a slow goods that was brought in from the south by a Drummond 700. It quickly crosses "The Mouth of Dearne" and takes the train around so it can be loaded.

7eSnGYx.jpg
[/IMG]

UuToBgp.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Excellent screenshots there Tanker. Docks and harbours are a lot of fun to play trains in.
I recognise those four red dropside wagons, - nice to see them out and about and getting some use. Just bear in mind that past 1904 they'd be an increasingly rare sight in that livery.

Edit: That reminds me, - I need to do some further work on the grey livery GWR dropside wagons I uploaded a while ago.

Nice shadow and light and dark contrast in your latest screenshot Ken.

Last edited:
Evilcrow, very atmospheric shot.
Tanker46, the docks look very busy, quite a handful to operate.
Taillight98, the passengers on that Bardney to Louth train were probably glad a pair of Gresley corridors were provided. I believe that the former GNR lines in E Lincs were a holdout for Howlden 6w carriages, even at the end of WWII! The line seems to have served a low rural population and with East Barkwith's station a half mile or so from the hamlet (population falling from 339 in 1881 to 229 in 1951) passengers will have been few. The junction at Bardney facing the "wrong way" for trains to Lincoln (the likely main destination when heading west) did not help.

Last edited:
Interesting shots there Tanker46.

Tanker46, the docks look very busy, quite a handful to operate.

I couldn't agree more - and followed by another one.

Thanks so much for the support everyone! :D It is really encouraging to see so many people enjoying the screenshots of the work I have been doing! I will keep doing my best!

Excellent screenshots there Tanker. Docks and harbours are a lot of fun to play trains in.
I recognise those four red dropside wagons, - nice to see them out and about and getting some use. Just bear in mind that past 1904 they'd be an increasingly rare sight in that livery.

Edit: That reminds me, - I need to do some further work on the grey livery GWR dropside wagons I uploaded a while ago.

Nice shadow and light and dark contrast in your latest screenshot Ken.

Thanks Annie! I really like the wagons and the loads you selected. Just like your LNWR and LMS reskins they are a very welcome addition to the layout!

One of the fun things about this project is that the world building I set up regarding Dearnby's history and location makes it easier to find excuses to keep old and exotic engines and rolling stock in service.

Dearnby was overshadowed by Southampton to the southwest and Liverpool to the north, so many resources and advancements were received much later than the rest of the network.

If I had to guess I would say that the dropsides and the Saltley wagons haven't been replaced or repainted due to proper maintenance and overall lack of necessity. Dearnby is famous for retaining many older pieces of rolling stock and the demanding nature of the docks makes it a lot harder to switch out wagons and get repaints done.

I will have to look into the later colors though. The route is dated from 1900 to 1922 (right before the Grouping Act) so it's hard to say where these shots would end up. But I think that is part of the fun don't you?

Last edited:
More from the docks at Dearnby!

After moving the trucks into position, No.1216 prepares to load the contents of the train into the SS Waterloo. The single screw steamer was converted from a sailing vessel a few years ago but retains its sails in the event of a propeller failure. Although the old steamer is beginning to be outclassed by the newer tramp steamers it still has the strength to make the crossing to Ireland and across the pond to New York.

4HVg1L3.jpg
[/IMG]

Later on No.1216 assists with a major project at the docks - the replacement of support girders that hold the sea break wall of the coast of Badgercombe. Even on Pollen Wagons these sections are enormous and require at least four engines to move them at a time! The LSWR has loaned out Adams G6s No. 257 and No.265 to help with the operation while GWR 850s No.1216 and its sibling No.2008 lead the cavalcade.

Unlike its sibling, No.2008 has not yet received it's pannier tanks and is still sporting its original saddle tanks. This locomotive was the last of the four other 850s to remain at Dearnby before being reallocated to St. Phillips Marsh in 1920. Just as 1216 spent its time near the key moving cargo and unloading ships, 2008 took charge of shunting the ore and steel yards of the refinery with various other industrial locomotives.

8vzToE7.jpg
[/IMG]

jiNM4q4.jpg
[/IMG]

OraMHmI.jpg
[/IMG]

The tank engine quartet begin their long journey to the opposite side of Dearnby Central. Although it is against regulations, the harbormaster orders all other rail traffic halted in and out of the docks so the wide load can be properly moved. I can say without a doubt you couldn't tell the difference between the dockworkers and the sailors with all the foul language they spat out that day!

Tanker46,
Your story and details about the breakwater plate movement out of the harbor are great! The screenshots are excellent and helped convey the action.

Who was pushing from the rear? They deserve at least an honorable mention. It's hard to imagine anyone swearing more than a sailor, so those dockworkers really must have been seriously working a blue streak. :hehe:

I really enjoyed your vignette. Nicely done. :cool:

Heinrich505

Agree, His stories are always amazing

Tom

Tanker46,
Your story and details about the breakwater plate movement out of the harbor are great! The screenshots are excellent and helped convey the action.

Who was pushing from the rear? They deserve at least an honorable mention. It's hard to imagine anyone swearing more than a sailor, so those dockworkers really must have been seriously working a blue streak. :hehe:

I really enjoyed your vignette. Nicely done. :cool:

Heinrich505

Back