UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Nice shots Tanker46

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Thanks Ken! I'm still working on getting the lighting down the way I want but I am not there yet!

Speaking of screenshots, great job to you as well! Is that 72xx a reskin job too? I've been trying to put early crests on that locomotive for years but they always end up backwards on one side!! :D

Last edited:
White cutout speed boards were an LNER design from the late 1930s that was then adopted by other regions of BR later on. The change from white to yellow was made after winter of '63 when snow was bad.

Before this design was introduced most railways didn't use any speed signs and the drivers were expected to know how fast they should be going along each part of the line (they also had to know how fast they were going by the feel of their engine, as very few locos had speedometers fitted). Sometimes a sign might be provided in exceptional circumstances which normally took the form of a standard notice board with painted lettering. The GWR also had a limited system with illuminated numerals.

More info here: https://www.railsigns.uk/sect13page1/sect13page1.html

Thanks for the information Ed. I have been looking for this for a while but I don't know where to look when it comes to this stuff. I guess googling "Pre-Grouping Railway Speedboards" isn't going to cut it!

I will set about removing the BR Speedboards after I sort out the signalling network and remove the modern power boxes. I'll keep the white speedboards in mind for the Grouping Era version as well! :)

#3683 & #3686. Wow, - serious GWR tank engine muscle there Ken.

#3674 & #3675. Tanker, I meant to say how much I was enjoying seeing your screenshots of your LSWR/S&DJR conversion of Dearnby & District as well as all those wonderful ships.

Last edited:
Re posts #3687 KotangaGirl and #3689 Heinrich505.
Many thanks to you both for the kind words.
Looking forward to your building reskins, Annie.

West Country mood at the moment.

Cheers, evilcrow

Re posts #3687 KotangaGirl and #3689 Heinrich505.
Many thanks to you both for the kind words.
Looking forward to your building reskins, Annie.

West Country mood at the moment.

<pictures snipped>

Cheers, evilcrow

Thanks Ken, progress is slow at the moment because I keep wanting to fall asleep, but I am keeping on with it.

Great screenshots as is usual. Nothing at all wrong with a visit to the West Country.

#3691. Now there's a sight, - 'Immingham' on a Pullman.

1924 - Leamside branch - A D20, J22 and Q6 at Belmont jcn

Some cracking shots over the past few days.
Lewisner, re: post #3688, I know the feeling about looking for information. I presume that you have looked at the shots on the disused stations website.
Here is a shot around 40 years prior to yours at Belmont Jcn.

D20 4-4-0 Number 2013 takes a mainline set of non-corridors south on the Up line out of Newcastle for Ferryhill as a Q6 0-8-0 with a long rake of empty coal hoppers stands in the Up refuge siding and a J22 0-6-0 gets away from the Durham Gilesgate branch with the morning goods. From what I can recall from the 1917 Road Wagon schedule Gilesgate goods was mainly served by trains out of Gateshead Park Lane. I wonder if wagonload traffic heading south was uncoupled from the train off the branch and tripped across to the long Up refuge siding or just left on the branch for a southbound loco to collect. Back the up goods in to the Up refuge, uncouple, use the trailing crossover to access the trailing connection to the branch from the down line, run past the wagons on one of the loop lines, back down and couple up, run out on to the down main, across the trailing crossover, back on to the goods train in the Up refuge and once coupled up head off to either Ferryhill or Croft yard. With the Up refuge being about 15 miles from Park Lane a couple of staff from the junction could be checking the couplings and axle boxes of the Up Goods while the loco picked up the wagons from Gilesgate.

Last edited:
Playing with my own session for Midsommer Valley TRS19 Newly released with many multiplayer sessions

LBSC D2 Bulldog Auto Fitted with Auto train at Thirn

Later in the day Jenny Lind and the 4 & 6w coaches at Warbridge

Tom

Last edited:
GN C1 Atlantic with Sunday excursion to Lincolnshire coast. Incidentally I read that the two preserved GN Atlantics have been moved ot a New Exhibition opening in Doncaster soon

Some cracking shots over the past few days.
Lewisner, re: post #3688, I know the feeling about looking for information. I presume that you have looked at the shots on the disused stations website.
Here is a shot around 40 years prior to yours at Belmont Jcn.

D20 4-4-0 Number 2013 takes a mainline set of non-corridors south on the Up line out of Newcastle for Ferryhill as a Q6 0-8-0 with a long rake of empty coal hoppers stands in the Up refuge siding and a J22 0-6-0 gets away from the Durham Gilesgate branch with the morning goods. From what I can recall from the 1917 Road Wagon schedule Gilesgate goods was mainly served by trains out of Gateshead Park Lane. I wonder if wagonload traffic heading south was uncoupled from the train off the branch and tripped across to the long Up refuge siding or just left on the branch for a southbound loco to collect. Back the up goods in to the Up refuge, uncouple, use the trailing crossover to access the trailing connection to the branch from the down line, run past the wagons on one of the loop lines, back down and couple up, run out on to the down main, across the trailing crossover, back on to the goods train in the Up refuge and once coupled up head off to either Ferryhill or Croft yard. With the Up refuge being about 15 miles from Park Lane a couple of staff from the junction could be checking the couplings and axle boxes of the Up Goods while the loco picked up the wagons from Gilesgate.

Hi, that's a great shot and actually some of the photos on Disused Stations are mine as I used to have a large number on Flickr. You may have already seen this but I just found a couple of nice aerial views of Durham Elvet station on Britainfromabove, taken in 1948 during the Durham Miners Gala. They weren't tagged so I am either the first to notice the station or the first to bother tagging it ! https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW017413

Last edited:
Back