UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

You're right about the 4MTs Frank. The Standard Four Tanks worked the locals of the Midland and Southern Regions more than anything. They were so popular in Brighton that they gained the nickname "Brighton Tanks" from Southern residents that frequented the line. I'm a fan of the 3MT Tanks personally but it's impossible to discuss the 4MTs without talking about its definite Southern roots.

Seeing this reminds me of the 4MT Tank I am working on with Ron. I haven't gone back to it recently but I'm starting to get the itch now...

Looking at my loco-shed allocation book for 1957 a see that 42083 of the Fairburn 2-6-4T was allocated to Whitby while 42084 & 42085 allocated to 50E Scarborough at this time. 42066-42105 built at Brighton & most allocated to SR sheds at that time.

Re Class 2MT Mogul 46521 green livery worked al lot at Swanage last year when the line was operating.

re post #3578 KotangaGirl
Attached screenshot shows 4MT with "gelatin" AND without.
The old friend "IM Editor" to the rescue or at least as a gelatin remover.
Make a clone and open up body.im with IM Editor, look for objects 6, 7 and 8, click on material and in Material name,
change tbumptex to onetex. Do this for the three objects, also delete the Bump texture, you will get a redbox and a warning, just ignore and save.
Go to the body_diffuse-body_diffuse.texture.txt file open and delete the alpha line and save.
Make the image "body-diffuse.tga" visible in your image editor if not already visible and save.
Change all the body ims as well.
Commit and all should (!!) be well.
Not sure what effect this will have on TRS19 as this is first time I've had a go at anything TRS19, this screenie included and am not impressed.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Hello Annie, if I recall it correctly, the heritage Great Central Railway has a couple of 2MTs for operating along their double track main line on quieter weekdays and they are greatly pleased with their economy on the three and four-coach train sets which are adequate for their off-peak periods. I think that the 2MTs cost considerably less than what would be required to operate a 4-6-0 or a pacific on those days. Over the course of a season those savings add up to a considerable sum of money. Of course Riddles had in mind the savings on coal and maintenance which a 2MT could provide on rural and branch services compared to an older, larger pre-nationalisation steam engine previously cascaded to the services. Time would mean that the 2MTs never realised that potential, since they were swept aside quite quickly by the diesel locos and DMUs of the modernisation plan. All in all a dreadful waste of capital.

There's a research paper going begging; "Determine whether the captal investment in standard steam designs by Riddles would have been better spent by the British Transport Commission on infrastructure work instead"

Motorway Marples was far too keen to sweep away the steam engine and modernise with dismals instead of allowing the standard classes to complete their working lives, - which as you say Frank was a dreadful waste of capital. I'm no economist (I could never balance my own cheque book) so I couldn't begin to argue whether or not dismals, - sorry diesels and DMUs made the best economic sense on minor lines, but certainly built for purpose engines like the 2MT's should not have been scrapped with such haste.

According to railuk.info, - 'These locomotives were the cheapest to operate on BR, as 16s 6d a mile in the mid-1960's - the same as a DMU, which replaced them'.

It's interesting looking at the engines that are available on the DLS and it's plain that content creators are just as bad as the preservation societies with there being large numbers of Pacifics in all their varieties and types and very little in the way of the more utilitarian classes of locomotive.

Re Class 2MT Mogul 46521 green livery worked al lot at Swanage last year when the line was operating.

Built at Swindon 28/02/1953, withdrawn 13/10/1966 from 89c Machynlleth shed. Seems to have been a Cambrian lines engine. I have it on my list Mr Tailight.

You're right about the 4MTs Frank. The Standard Four Tanks worked the locals of the Midland and Southern Regions more than anything. They were so popular in Brighton that they gained the nickname "Brighton Tanks" from Southern residents that frequented the line. I'm a fan of the 3MT Tanks personally but it's impossible to discuss the 4MTs without talking about its definite Southern roots.

I'd forgotten that they were called 'Brighton Tanks', - thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
A Fairburn 2-6-4T is a very rare bird on Trainz. There is an LMS era Fowler 4P 2-6-4T by Paul Hobbs with the old Potteries Loop Line but no Fairburn. As far as I know there is not even a payware vesion out there.

re post #3578 KotangaGirl
Attached screenshot shows 4MT with "gelatin" AND without.
The old friend "IM Editor" to the rescue or at least as a gelatin remover.
Make a clone and open up body.im with IM Editor, look for objects 6, 7 and 8, click on material and in Material name,
change tbumptex to onetex. Do this for the three objects, also delete the Bump texture, you will get a redbox and a warning, just ignore and save.
Go to the body_diffuse-body_diffuse.texture.txt file open and delete the alpha line and save.
Make the image "body-diffuse.tga" visible in your image editor if not already visible and save.
Change all the body ims as well.
Commit and all should (!!) be well.
Not sure what effect this will have on TRS19 as this is first time I've had a go at anything TRS19, this screenie included and am not impressed.

<picture snipped>

Cheers, evilcrow

I did make a start on banishing the gelatin with IM Editor Ken, but it was all heading for disappointing.com very quickly. You've certainly done a very good job with giving the 2MT a clean up, but I suppose it all depends how the textures have been mapped as to anything worthwhile can be done after that. I'll have another look at it and see what can be done.
I mainly went with the Paulz Trainz 2MT because, despite its age, it was able to be set up to properly represent a Swindon built 2MT Mogul without too much work.

First thing that has to be done in TS2019 Ken is knocking back the blue levels on ambient and sun in the environment menu. All that fog used on the Cornish Mainline route is an attempt to stop the supernova from breaking through. I'm still getting the hang of all this and if I hadn't rashly commissioned a whole pile of pre-grouping rolling stock for TS2019 last year I most probably wouldn't be much bothered to keep on trying.

I've been experimenting with a couple of my own locos in TRS19, by converting the material from bumptex to bumpenv
bumpenv-test.jpg

Incomplete standard 5 by me, the route is Logan Beck in TRS2019
Chris.

#3589. Wow that is one convincing arguement for TANE Ken. What a wonderful onslaught on the senses.

#3590. Now there's a rare bird in Trainz Chris. A standard class 5, - nice work.

Evilcrow,
I second KotangaGirl on those shots from post #3589. They are stunning, and the clarity is wonderful. Such nice pictures. :cool:

Heinrich505

#3592. I like the detail of the public right of way across the tracks lewisner. If BR ever gets an epitaph it will be 'BR demolished, all is now weeds.'

Greatly daring I've moved my late 1880s Minehead branch project over to SP3 and all is well. The benches on the station platform are from the wrong era, but we'll sort those out eventually.

OrqKAMh.jpg

LMS type 4MT Mogul a type that worked the M&GN lines in Eastern England this one of 35A New England shed. It is weathered but I think it is 43066. No 43106 survives on SVR preserved railway.

#3595. BR 4MT standard Moguls working on the old M&GN lines? That was something I didn't know. I learn something new everyday with Trainz.

re posts #3591 KotangaGirl & #3593 Heinrich 505
Thank you both for the compliments. Having just had cataract surgery, clarity and clearness of TANE is most important to me. I wish TRS2019 would have the cataracts removed !!!

LBSCR WIP TANE

Cheers, evilcrow

re posts #3591 KotangaGirl & #3593 Heinrich 505
Thank you both for the compliments. Having just had cataract surgery, clarity and clearness of TANE is most important to me. I wish TRS2019 would have the cataracts removed !!!

LBSCR WIP TANE

<picture snipped>

Cheers, evilcrow

It's not just the attempt to obtain clarity Ken, with TS2019 I'm having to edit the windows in coaches to remove the opaque fog as well as resize signal lamp coronas so that signals look like they should again. I must be nuts.

5m42F02.jpg

1954 - Harraton Colliery and an A7

Great shot Lewsiner. More has gone on at Cox Green than merely allowing trees and weeds to grow, since the footpath and bridleway seem to be significantly narrower now than in 1961. Some encroachment or sale of land seems to have gone on. At best a single line might fit on the alignment now, which is the situation further east where the Metro line terminates. There is a rather faint possibility that the Metro may yet be extended to Washington, though the realisation of a loop by extension through to Pelaw may be a total flight of fantasy. That would clash with the concept of relaying the Leamside route, which currently is only slightly behind the Metro extension to Washington in the maybe possibility stakes.

My NW Durham route does not extend to the Fencehouses - Philadelphia district but it does include Harraton Colliery between South Pelaw junction and Washington. Here, somehow Class A7 4-6-2T of Hull Dairycoates shed has found itself bringing empties to Harraton NCB Colliery. It was at Darlington works for 4 days in early 1954 for an unclassified repair, so may be accumulating mileage with Darlington shed post-repair and has been "borrowed" by the Tyne Dock shed foreman after bringing in a freight from Darlington overnight. It does not need to head back to Darlington for several hours and can fit in a trip to Harraton. There had better not be a derailment (the NCB PW gang are at work on site - note the tool van) or else there will be a very unwelcome phone call required to be made to Darlington shed.

Last edited:
Great shot Lewsiner. More has gone on at Cox Green than merely allowing trees and weeds to grow, since the footpath and bridleway seem to be significantly narrower now than in 1961. Some encroachment or sale of land seems to have gone on. At best a single line might fit on the alignment now, which is the situation further east where the Metro line terminates. There is a rather faint possibility that the Metro may yet be extended to Washington, though the realisation of a loop by extension through to Pelaw may be a total flight of fantasy. That would clash with the concept of relaying the Leamside route, which currently is only slightly behind the Metro extension to Washington in the maybe possibility stakes.
My NW Durham route does not extend to the Fencehouses - Philadelphia district but it does include Harraton Colliery between South Pelaw junction and Washington. Here, somehow Class A7 4-6-2T of Hull Dairycoates shed has found itself bringing empties to Harraton NCB Colliery. It was at Darlington works for 4 days in early 1954 for an unclassified repair, so may be accumulating mileage with Darlington shed post-repair and has been "borrowed" by the Tyne Dock shed foreman after bringing in a freight from Darlington overnight. It does not need to head back to Darlington for several hours and can fit in a trip to Harraton. There had better not be a derailment (the NCB PW gang are at work on site - note the tool van) or else there will be a very unwelcome phone call required to be made to Darlington shed.

Thanks and as always your shots are a standard I can only dream of ! I very much doubt that the Leamside will be reopened or the Metro extended from Hylton although when they built the Hylton Metro station they did so in a way which would allow it to be extended. However when the A19 was built crossing the line in 1970 the bridge was only wide enough for single track and with a concrete slab foundation making it more or less impossible to reopen the line without a rebuild of the bridge. In 1962 British Rail replaced all the wooden signals on the line with tubular steel posts and steel brackets; when it closed in 1967 they were cut down with oxy acetylene torches. Here's the Q6 returning empty past Hylton.

Q6 Hylton Station 23.2.2021 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Back