UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

My TSR19 SP2 install is only for running DLC so I don't care if it tips over since I can just download it all again. After Graham posted his beta SP3 screenshots I decided to do the beta SP3 thing too and upgraded my SP2 install. One good point I noticed right away is that the new SP3 upgrade seems to have improved the environmental lighting. I can remember when TS2019 was first released I started up Robert3a0's Cornish Mainline route and I just about shut it down and deleted TS2019 on the spot because the environmental lighting was so awful. All I've done is use the unified surveyor thingy to cut back the fog from London 1890's peasouper to something more sensible. I left the R-G-B dials and the brightness slider as they were.

I've always had a soft spot for the Cornish Mainline Route even though it has major historical inaccuracies, the signalling is not really the best and the trackwork is just awful in many places. N3V's latest efforts with making it look like an abandoned railway with over enthusiastic TuftX application hasn't helped it any either, but I still like it.
I did the Freight Run to Cambourne as a test, but there was this strange blobby shiny thing made out of black gelatin on the track that was supposed to be an engine so I changed it for something better and more sensible.

Cambourne-Goods-01.jpg

Cambourne-Goods-02.jpg

Cambourne-Goods-03.jpg

Last edited:
Well done Annie, welcome to Team Brave :D

I think that they may have switched the afterburners off in this version.

Today I am going to try and kill it with a North German holiday route that I am building to test the lighting in the bright midday sun.

If anybody hasn't tried SP3 yet, then join Team Brave and have a look, if you don't like it, then don't use it.

Cheers and stay safe,
Graham

Yes they do seem to have done something to the environmental lighting this time around Graham, but I don't know if they are completely there with it yet. It will be interesting to see how your holiday route turns out.

However I do know that the new SP3 install is running a lot hotter than my SP1 install so I'll have to open up my computer tomorrow morning and check that the cooling fins on the heatsinks are all clean.

Editing the session to accept the Prairie instead of the super shiny black gelatin Ivatt 2MT was interesting. I've written basic sessions before, but that one was taking it to a whole new level. During testing I tried driving the large Prairie on the steam controls, but its injectors didn't want to work which was disappointing.

A fair few trains pass the goods train on its way up to Cambourne including three, - yes count them, - three King Class engines (including a blue one) hauling fairly ordinary kinds of unKing- like passenger trains. It must be a special occasion (a significant birth perhaps?) since as far as I'm aware the King class never worked in Cornwall.

A foggy test run with the large Prairie because I forgot to use the Unified Surveyor Thingy.

bhB5nqT.jpg

Last edited:
Good shot Annie. So, you have noticed an uptick in temperature? My laptop has an RTX 2070 and I noticed that SP2 has it running significantly hotter than SP1. It has large dual fans and it "runs like a hairdryer" now when I am in driver. The monitor system reports blistering temperatures and it is now more usual for me to run the fans on the 17" triple fan Coolermaster aluminium base I bought a decade ago. My better half has to turn up the TV by about five notches to hear it if I have all five fans on the laptop-base combo going at "full chat". If SP3 steps that up a further notch it is concerning.

My laptop battery packed up late last week, 18 months old. I wonder now if the internal temperatures contributed to that. New battery has now been cycled 6 times since I installed it and now, for the first time ever, I noticed that when on AC power with a 100% charge battery running SP2 in driver can actually make the battery gauge drop to 90%. I wonder how much draw SP2 is putting on the whole system. The desktop PC has a gold standard 1200W PSU, dual front fans and dual rear fans. With the PSU fan, CPU fan, both MB fans and the four case fans all running at max I can literally heat the upstairs room. I'd considered water cooling but I remain "leery" about running liquid near highly expensive electronic components. Rocket Air cans are a consumable item in this household with the cleaning routines. (One one ship we took over my C/E and ETO found that somebody was telling porkies about the planned maintenance of the computers since the interior of the PC case units in the control room console were thickly carpeted in dust).

Last edited:
I have hard drive monitoring software Frank and I noticed that the C & D drives were running a bit warm. Then I checked the CPU temperature in Speccy and got a real shock. The heat blasting out the back of my Cooler Master tower case was way more than I was comfortable with so I shut things down until I can have a proper look at it. The cooling fans winding up usually give me some warning as well, but I had my earphones on so I didn't hear them right away.

I've thought about getting one of those closed system liquid cooling kits, but like you I'm a bit wary about liquids and electronic components. I have got a big Cooler Master heatsink kit in the 'stores', but with tower cases I don't like hanging large and heavy finned heatsinks with big fans on them sideways off motherboards. Anyway once I can look inside my computer I'll have a better idea of what needs to be done.

EDIT: Started up SP3 and it wasn't long before both my CPU and GPU were heading into the 70's. Something is seriously wrong with SP3 so it might just be time to delete it and forget about it altogether.

Last edited:
1957 - GCR - Sheffield - Nottingham Footex and an L1

WB Lewisner. Nice shot of Cox Green.
Football Excursion passing New Basford on the former G.C.R. between Sheffield and Nottingham as Sheffield Wednesday fans travel to face Nottingham Forest.

The L1 is hauling a ten coach rake of mixed BR Mk1 and Thompson non-corridor stock in a mixture of Carmine and Maroon liveries.

Sheffield Wednesday fell to defeat 5-2 at Forest and would lose 2-1 at home to them too. At the end of the season Wednesday were relegated to League Division Two.

Oh thanks I have been playing Fallout 76 for a few months but I am getting bored with it and want to try splicing my Sunderland - Leamside route with the ECML route.

*Warning Off Topic*

I took a holiday recently from Trainz to save Cyrodiil for the sixth time in Elder Scrolls Oblivion with my custom unDead Elf Queen character. I have a liking for Fallout 3 as well and played for ages as a custom character, - a Rad Mutant, - and then as a super stealthy child character who had a habit of collecting landmines and then leaving them where enemies could step on them. I purchased Fallout New Vegas, but for some reason never played it.

*Off Topic Warning Ends*

It will be good to see some more of your Sunderland - Leamside route.

#3561. D16/3 62614 of 31C Kings Lynn on branch line duty.

I always like seeing your D16/3's at work tailight.

#3572. A nice GCR area screenshot there Frank. Being a tank engine fangirl I can't help but like that L1 at the head of the train.

#3573. Another great LBSC screenshot Ken. I just wish that a content creator for Trainz would give the GER the same amount of love.

Last edited:
1948 - ECML - Eryholme junction, an A5 and Thompson coaches

Annie and Ken, great shots.

A5 4-6-2T brings a Richmond branch passenger train from Darlington on to the branch at Eryholme junction station.

The A5 is hauling three new Thompson non-corridor carriages. The leading Third and the Lav Compo were built in 1947 but the trailing 4-compartment Brake Third appeared in 1948, after nationalisation.

#3577. Oooooo another big tank engine. You are not helping with my tank engine addiction Frank. Seriously though seeing the Thompson coaches reminds me of when Triang/Hornby released their Thompson coaches with a simulated teak finish and what huge ripples they sent through the model railway community at the time.

If 2MT 'Mickey Mouse' tender engines are going to be put into a Cornish route they could at least be proper Western Region ones. This is an older model by Paulz Trainz which has some multipart options and I asked Paul to put together a representation of the real No.46509 in Brunswick Green livery. I need to fix the lining so it's the correct colours, but that's not hard to do.
Nos. 46504, 46509, 46510, 46517, 46520, 46521, 46522, 46525, 46526 were outshopped from Swindon in lined green and Nos. 46503 and 46516 are believed to have been outshopped in unlined green. The word from aging trainspotters who actually saw the green WR 2MT's is they were generally kept cleaner than the black ones. Once my wallet stop screaming about being murdered I'll most probably get some more green 'Mickey Mice' to add to my early BR fleet.

All the strange shiney blobby black gelatin Ivatt 2MT's have been banished which is just as well since I was getting tired of wiping up all the gooey black puddles they leave behind. Plainly N3V hadn't actually sighted them when they were made 'Built-in' because they are just awful

hhPH5Gu.jpg

Last edited:
No. 46509 now properly lined out and with a few tiny texture mods done to tidy her up a bit. It's a lovely engine to drive and its speed and braking can be adjusted smoothly without N3V's back seat driver nagbot putting up any stupid messages about the quality of my driving.

brhHsQP.jpg

OHSQDb9.jpg

xs5fM6v.jpg

0ff7hJV.jpg

1nEEWiH.jpg

1954 - A Whitby Extra and a 4MT

Hello Annie, I have decided to utilise a really rare engine in my stable to turn up the large tank kryptonite effect on you. The BR Standard Class 4 Passenger Tank was almost unknown on the BR NE Region. One (80117) went to Whitby in mid-1954, followed by 80116 to York and 80118 to Whitby, both in mid-1955.

Here, in late spring 1954, the brand new 80117 brings an extra working from Whitby via Saltburn and Middlesbrough in to Darlington. The train is a mixture of Thompson and ex-NER carriages, with the trailing Thompson BC still not altered to unlined Carmine. It might be a working related to the Whitsuntide holidays.

80116 would move from York to Whitby in June 1955, a month after being allocated to York. She would spend three months from February 1956 at Scarborough before returning to Whitby. All three 4MTs would move to Neville Hill in June 1958, though 80116 would shift to Holbeck MR shed in June 1963. November 1963 would see all three move to Scotland, where they would remain until withdrawal in 1966/67.

Last edited:
Very much a Hornby Dublo reminder Frank. The standard classes certainly got a raw deal with many still being relatively new when they were sent off to be scrapped. I think they often get overlooked by modellers as well and I know I've been guilty of that. I may not get a 4MT for my collection, but I wouldn't mind getting a 2MT 2-6-2T or two since they would fit right in with my liking for backwater branchlines.
It was only because of the awful 2MT 'Mickey Mice' locos on the Cornish Mainline route that I took a closer look at these engines and discovered that some of them had been outshopped from Swindon so naturally I had to have at least one.

The BR Standard 2MT

Hello Annie, if I recall it correctly, the heritage Great Central Railway has a couple of 2MTs for operating along their double track main line on quieter weekdays and they are greatly pleased with their economy on the three and four-coach train sets which are adequate for their off-peak periods. I think that the 2MTs cost considerably less than what would be required to operate a 4-6-0 or a pacific on those days. Over the course of a season those savings add up to a considerable sum of money. Of course Riddles had in mind the savings on coal and maintenance which a 2MT could provide on rural and branch services compared to an older, larger pre-nationalisation steam engine previously cascaded to the services. Time would mean that the 2MTs never realised that potential, since they were swept aside quite quickly by the diesel locos and DMUs of the modernisation plan. All in all a dreadful waste of capital.

There's a research paper going begging; "Determine whether the captal investment in standard steam designs by Riddles would have been better spent by the British Transport Commission on infrastructure work instead"

Back