UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

1958 - ECML - A V2 to the Rescue

“Steam Days” railway magazine for February 2021 contains what I believe to be an interesting article. It is titled “A V2 to the Rescue” and reports how Gresley V2 2-6-2 number 60869 saved the day for “The Flying Scotsman” express passenger train on May 30[SUP]th[/SUP] 1958.

Peppercorn A1 pacific 60156 Great Central of Kings Cross shed (34A) was regarded as the best of the class on shed and lifted the 11-coach 405 tons gross load out of the cross. However, on the 1 in 200 climb after passing Potter’s Bar boiler pressure began to fall away, yet 60156 was only five months out of Doncaster after a general repair. By Knebworth the boiler was down to 150 psi and then both steam injectors began to play up, failing at Yaxley, four miles south of Peterborough.

Driver Bill Hoole had already decided by Templeford that 60156 was not going to make it past Peterborough and “whistled up” for a replacement, trying at the same time to make up as much time as possible with the ailing locomotive. The signaller at Holme was surprised by the early passing of the Scotsman and stepped outside to tap his watch as the train passed to indicate his displeasure! In the end, the Scotsman reached Peterborough 9½ minutes early.
60869 was the down side Peterborough pilot and “drew the short straw” to replace the failed A1. The changeover was accomplished in only 7 minutes, meaning that the Scotsman still had 2 minutes in hand on departure. With 60869 only out of Darlington for a month since her Heavy Intermediate Repair and just 150 psi on departure it took a little while for the fireman to get pressure higher, so the train lost a couple of minutes on the 1 in 200 and 1 in 178 to stoke summit. However, the V2 got in to her stride and Newark was passed two minutes within the Peterborough to Newark pass to pass time. Six minutes were gained by the time Doncaster was passed but signal checks in the Selby area meant that York was passed a minute late. Driver Hoole kept the point-to-point timings to Durham and arrived at Newcastle with a 191.9 mile distance for Peterborough to Newcastle and a time of 200½ minutes. This was a net time of 182 minutes, 12½ minutes less than the 300 Ton “Talisman” yet with 100 tons more on the drawbar and with an unprepared V2!

“Steam Days” reports that Norman Harvey was on board to record the run by Driver Bill Hoole and Fireman Ken Pettinghall, as well as mentioning that photographer Cecil Ord had been tipped off in time to take a shot of 60869 passing Beningbrough at 70 mph.

60156 and 60869 are not the only locomotives mentioned. Part of the article is about just how much could, and did, go wrong with top link steam locos assigned to the non-stop express passenger train. It must be recognised that running high-speed express trains day-in, day-out put the locomotives, rolling stock and footplate crew under stress. Perhaps we should not be surprised that the London - Edinburgh non-stop train (“The Flying Scotsman” to 1948, “The Capitals Limited” from 1949 to 1952 and “The Elizabethan” from 1953) only ran non-stop during the summer timetable (July – September) when the weather tends to be better (no comments on the foul weather in Normandy during the summer of 1944 please.)

PS - The article infers that Peterborough was not a scheduled stop, even for the winter timetable Scotsman. It also states that York was passed, so no stop there either, which is something I was wondering about for the winter timetable.
it would appear that the winter 10 am ran between Kings Cross and Newcastle without a scheduled stop en-route.

The Elizabethan did not run during the winter timetable and it appears that the Book "The District Controller's View - No.7 York - Newcastle" is based on a 1950s winter timetable since there is no sign of The Elizabethan. According to the book "LNER Passenger Trains and Formations 1923-67 - the Principal Services" by Steve Banks and Clive Carter makes it clear that during the winter timetable the usual provision was for two trains, the 10 am "The Flying Scotsman" and the supporting 10.5 am *unofficially named "The Junior Scotsman". The 10 am ran to Edinburgh and the 10.5 am to Glasgow Queen Street, with portions for Aberdeen and Newcastle. I also believe that during the winter timetable the two sets of carriages allocated to "The Elizabethan" non-stop during the summer timetable was reverted to the 10 am "The Flying Scotsman" during the winter. At least this was the practise in 1949-52 when the non-stop was "The Capitals Limited".

Last edited:
Excellent stuff Frank. Thank you for recounting that 'Steam Days' article. For some reason I haven't got my digital copy yet.

I always thought V2's secretly wanted to be top link engines, - but seriously though there must have been huge stress on both man and machine in maintaining the express timetables of those times.

Another fantastic tale of information from the days of Eastern Steam!

I really enjoy your exposition on the history of the North Eastern region and the discussion of express train coach formations really is really helpful for my TMR Blyth Project!

I hope you will continue to share these wonderful tidbits of information with us in the future! Thanks again for all your insight!:D

re post #3523 borderreiver.
A most interesting read, a master of his craft. A log of that run would indeed be a revelation.
Many thanks Frank.

LBSCR WIP TANE

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Having purchased several LNER A8 4-6-2 tank engines from Paulz Trainz I gave one of them a run on Middle Vales. Frank very kindly helped me out with the correct Gill Sans lettering for No. E9856 which saved me a search.
No. E9856 is a bit out of place in the West Coast border country, but I don't mind since it gave me an excuse to blow the digital dust off Middle Vales. I spend about 4 months worth of Trainz modelling time building up my version of Middle Vales and it doesn't get run anything like often enough. I really should take it over to TANE since TS2012 tends to struggle a bit with it, but the thought of changing out all those trees holds me back.

LDwxsbr.jpg

9IC8qBl.jpg

mZHFtMT.jpg

LHN3Q4i.jpg

80iR3P5.jpg

Decided to pop over the pond and see the great shots of England .:D I see all the master's are out . Ken ...you the only person I know that's out did him self on both sides of the pond . Thanks for all the shots people . I've enjoyed them more then you know .

Matt

Last edited:
1925 - ECML - Relly Mill Junction and an A5 4-6-2T

An A5/2 4-6-2T built by the L.N.E.R. in 1925 for the N.E. Area hauls a four-carriage Main Line set of former N.E.R. over the River browney viaduct wast of Relly Mill Junction.

The carriages are a mixture of liveries befitting the transitional nature of the mid-1920s. The signal above the loco is a 3-way M&H installation for the ECML, Bishop Auckland branch and Lanchester Valley branch which was sited to the right of the double track to assist sighting as trains ascended the gradient from Durham station.

The A5 is payware by Camscott (Darlington Works), the rolling stock is payware by Paul Mace (Paulztrainz) which is reskinned by myself and the signal is by Chrisaw on the DLS.

Last edited:
#3535. Nicely done Frank.

I finally got Peter Flindley's GCR V15 loaded into TS2019. Digging out my Camscott engines and PLL files from my archive hard drive and getting them loaded into TS2019 took a fair chunk of time, but otherwise it all went well.

xuBzAth.jpg

More from GCR V15. Ex-LNER A1/A3 Pacific 'Diamond Jubilee'
I've been experimenting with winding back the blue light levels with TS2019's environmental lighting and it seems to be going a long way towards getting rid of the 'sun just gone supernova' default lighting.

Diamond-Jubilee-Passenger-02.jpg

Diamond-Jubilee-Passenger-01.jpg

Diamond-Jubilee-Passenger-03.jpg

Re posts #3531 KotangaGirl and #3534 Railwoodman.
Thanks Annie and Matt for the kindly words.
Very interested to see how you will get on with the TS2019'S environmental lighting Annie.
re post # borderreiver
More goodly info, many thanks.

Seems to be BR ER and LNER at the moment , a couple from me.

Cheers, Ken

#3539. WOW Ken, oh wow! I wouldn't know where to begin to get TS2019/TRS19 to even start to look like that.
An interesting time the early BR period when the Pacifics were very much the lords of the line. (sigh) We shall never see their like again.

#3538. It's tricky to get right Forester since the the blue levels have to be reduced to get rid of the stark supernova look, but not so much that everything starts to turn green. With country and rural lines a bit more green doesn't hurt, but it's not such a good look for urban lines.

Possibly getting a little closer with the environmental lighting. Some Trainz folk have said that the sky asset plays a big part in the lighting's appearance, but I haven't done much experimenting with that yet.

Xh8rkA7.jpg

Last edited:
This might be about the best I can manage. I'm making adjustments to the lighting at the start of the session using the Unified editing thingy since I don't want to do any cloning with GCR V15 sessions just yet.
With this attempt I thought I had it too much towards green at first, but in Driver it was fine. I've got shadows switched off since I don't like their blobby crawly mould like appearance and in many cases they make assets just look plain daft rather than being of any benefit.

fMgmTnj.jpg

Mf4EK3n.jpg

gxMci3q.jpg

Last edited:
Back