UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

BR Shed 71J Dearnby (Fictional) 1953

0IyY0tD.jpg
[/IMG]

5RX5vTi.jpg
[/IMG]

4SytC7Z.jpg
[/IMG]

KbPXUKp.jpg
[/IMG]

3he55Ad.jpg
[/IMG]

rLUk8pZ.jpg
[/IMG]

XmnR5DP.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
#3343 Nice looking shed screenshots Tanker. In fact all of them are good. I use the Riddles RODs for hauling coal and minerals on Middle Vales, - they are darn good engines.

Not well at the moment so I'm not doing much, but I did play trains for a while on Lickey to cheer myself up.

lvJhkHM.jpg

RtXxstP.jpg

27KQgEQ.jpg

3jcgACv.jpg

Thanks Annie! I am sorry to hear you aren't feeling well and I hope you are feeling better soon! :)

I also quite like the Riddles WD Austerities. The 2-8-0s are excellent locomotives and they fit in well on Dearnby since there are two air bases on the route that they can service. Since one is a military base its pretty easy to have the Austerities running around anytime after 1940!

I am really a huge fan of Knucklesnvector's WD 2-10-0 - such a beautiful engine! Although these giants worked exclusively in Scotland, I was able to dust off an old T12-TANE Era layout of Haymarket in the 1960s near the end of steam. Those locomotives sure don't look it though! :)

0UWm7Bv.jpg
[/IMG]

UMoHxe2.jpg
[/IMG]

ULoHKkC.jpg
[/IMG]

Yv6euPK.jpg
[/IMG]

HjU01Q3.jpg
[/IMG]

I still need to adjust the light settings on this one, but by god that bridge is amazing!

ZAOUBVX.jpg
[/IMG]

105mQmt.jpg
[/IMG]

Bbflz9k.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks Tanker. I had to have some fairly intrepid dental work done and in the aftermath I had a bad crash with this illness I live with so I'm a lot more sleepy than usual. It's starting to pass off so hopefully it won't be too long before I'm feeling better.

I sometimes run knucklesnvector's WD Riddles 2-10-0s on my early BR Middle Vales border layout which is a bit of a stretch since they worked in Scotland, not in the border country, but I don't mind so much because they really are darn fine locomotives and wow can they shift coal.

That bridge is an incredible piece of work. I know I've seen it before on an older route I downloaded, but it would have been a while ago now.

I couldn't agree more Annie. Knucklsnvector doesn't put out too many models anymore but when he does they are fantastic. I think that it's a fine addition to Trainz and I enjoyed his GWR 850s and Metropolitan X Class as well.

Haymarket was something I experimented with back in my early days of Trainz before I committed myself to my love of the Southern Railway. I ran a lot of LNER stock back then and I found the route to fit both my DLS Eastern locos and Paulhobbs S&C LMS Content.

I'm still very interested in Scottish locomotives and Ed's CR, HR, and NBR content make it very easy to run. But I must confess that the GNoSR is still my favorite company up north. Evertrainz and I were talking about doing a collaboration to make some 6MT Clans in the future so maybe I will be visiting the highlands again soon in Trainz!

As for the dental work I can definitely sympathize. I had my wisdom teeth pulled in Japan and the knockout gas was way too strong. I can't imagine how much harder it must be with your condition.

I sincerely hope you recover soon - the thread is always so much brighter when you post your delightful scenes from the Hopewood Tramway! :D

1914 ECJS 10 am Scotch Express Approaches Newcastle

Back to 1914 and the (then) new sets are in use on the 10 am. daytime "Scotch Express", a train service which would be known from the later 1920s as "The Flying Scotsman".

On the approaches to the King Edward bridge across the Tyne.
The furthest set of tracks are the line to Low Teams and Dunston, the nearest set are for the (now long-gone) Redheugh Colliery.

Re post #3348 borderreiver

Always interesting shot(s) and a most readable history of the North East.

LBSCR WIP

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

More Hopewood Tramway.

A lovely screenshot evilcrow, very much a sight to sooth sore eyes.

Another good one from you too Frank.

I'm still rubbish tired, but at least I can eat solid food again now. I ran some trains on the Hopewood Tramway and had a lot of fun with it despite making lots of silly mistakes.

Morning passenger train setting off from Cathill Junction.

XpqHgze.jpg

Inspiring snap taken in the goods yard at Cathill Junction.

Shunting back with a timber train for the Flinders Mill branch. I'm not sure what Flinders Mill looks like, but I do know it's small town out there somewhere beyond the edge of the layout. Perhaps one day I'll extend the tramway that far.

On the Flinders Mill branch.

The station and wind pump can be seen in the background of this snap.

No.127 goes trip working. This trip job involves clearing all the goods yards on the way to Hopewood on Sea of any wagons that are ready to be picked up. At Hopewood on Sea yard a trip job engine from the Windweather Tramway will collect anything that's to go via the Windweather Tramway and No.127 will take the rest through to the large GER-GCR interchange yard at Elgar Junction.

Bluebell Woods.

And sorry that's all folks..........

Last edited:
KotangaGirl,
I hope you are feeling better. Your screenshots are so nice to view. I see where Cathill Junction got it's name. :hehe:

Thanks for posting.

Heinrich505

Excellent screenshots Annie. The bolster wagons and the customized C53s are a beautiful sight as they trundle along the tramway. I sincerely hope you feel better soon. Please rest up and take plenty of time to recover. We will be waiting here with open arms for your return! :D

Another post from me. Not related to Dearnby exactly but still an interesting concept to me. (Any native Scottish residents please excuse my lack of knowledge on the slang and termology. I tried to memorize the dialect and slang words but I may have gotten something wrong! :confused:

Waverly Station - August 11th, 1963

From the journal of Cecil Macdonald.

Worked the Waverly local again today. The air was particularly cold today - I'm fair puckled out here!

As bad as I felt I knew 60892 probably felt worse. Our auld V2 has seen better days, she needed a axel check, a tube cleaning and a blasted washdown. But BR dinnae care. The highlands were the death knell for the auld Gresley types. Em gaunnae run it into the ground before sparing a bit o' change to repair it..

A blair of an diesel horn brought me out of my thoughts. Two platforms across from me was Francis and Neil in their new buzzbox that Class 40. The spamcan roared so loud it caused our Gresley to shoogle a bit.

"Aye! Why dinnae ye scrap yer auld kettle? At thing is past it init it?" Francis shouted oot oer the buzzbox's roar.

"Hauld yer wheesht ye dighted galoot! My angry fireman spat oot. She int oot o' steam yet! I'll gie ye a skelpit on ye noggin!"

"Ah to hell with ye blasted reeker!" Franics shot back as he pulled on the regulator "Dunnae call us if ye break down!"

Ma fireman Angus Mcalister huv been working on the rails since I was a wee lad. He loved the auld Gresley more than I ever could.

"Dunnae fas yerself Angus." I said. "It's time te head oot no!"

"Aye Right! Ma heid's loupin' fae at glaikit dunderhead."

With a loud creak 60892 puhed oot of the station te start our journey.

OKJNNLT.jpg
[/IMG]

2QvXNDn.jpg
[/IMG]

XMaGV2s.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I'm sure Scotland will forgive you Tanker. A nice little story and some good screenshots to go with it.

Thanks very much for your good wishes and thanks too Heinrich.

Last edited:
Of course Annie! The "buzzbox" will get it's comeuppance in due time, but I will save it for when you are feeling better!

Until then you are in my thoughts and I wish you a speedy recovery and a wonderful holiday! :D

qrMnDfS.jpg
[/IMG]

Tanker46,
Another cool story thread. I loved it - brought a wee tear to my eye.

So many of those steam engine guys were loyal to their engines to the bitter end. It had to be horrible for them to see the end coming. Even today I really can't look at pictures of the steam engine graveyards. It's way too sad.

Heinrich505

Robert had pulled the new kid as a fireman-in-training for his afternoon run. The kid seemed to be fairly competent, so he might not have to yell at him too much. Robert had hopes for dinner with the family. Bess had been complaining that he never seemed to make it home for a proper sit down. Then again, she didn’t seem to mind the extra pay for when he was running late.

The job was a fairly easy one. They were tasked with taking one of the venerable 45xx engines into the Dearne on Sea yard, finding a mixed freight on Dearne On Sea Shed Road 1, and spotting the freight in the Frowhill Yard. A quick dash back to the yard, turn the engine in, and it was off to the wife and kids.

On the return to Frowhill, his back started to tighten up a bit. It was the old war wound, shrapnel from a German artillery shell at the Second Battle of the Somme. He was lucky – it had almost killed him. But, curiously, the healed wound would act up when a weather change was happening soon. He didn’t like this one bit, and urged some more speed out of his locomotive.

By the time they’d dropped the consist off at Frowhill, his back was really tight. It was also getting really cold and there was a heavy wet feeling to the cold air blowing in his face, as he hung out of the cab to watch the road ahead. He knew what that meant, so it was fast to Dearnby to turn in the engine.

The pale December sun was already trying to slip behind the western hills as they pulled into the yard. Robert suddenly got a sinking feeling in his stomach, as he saw that all the engines but his were already stabled in the Dearnby Yard. His feeling of dread was multiplied several times over as he saw the Station Master waiting for him, near the shed.
Sure enough…jammed again. Emergency call for coal. Has to be done tonight. All other drivers had already left. Robert is the only one available. Take the kid – I’ll authorize his extra detail. The Station Master had said he was sorry to jack Robert up on this run, but Robert knew he wasn’t. Just living up to the initials the other drivers had jokingly started to give him, L.R.

There was a quick scramble to set up the lantern on the front of the engine, and catch some more coal and water. Then it was ripping off to Dearne on Sea, but this time to the coal storage yard for a run of six coal wagons, supposedly loaded. No getting off on time tonight.

2WUnBUWn_o.jpg

The wet fog rolled in fast after the sun went down. The night was black, as black as could be. Robert’s back wound prediction was right on. The kid had never crewed after dark, so he was really nervous. Robert had run this route so many times that he knew exactly where he was at all times, even in pitch black.
He eased his engine to a stop at the first signal box to Dearnby. He gave Reggie – had to ask the lad what his name was – the instructions to tell Old Roger in the signal box, for the movements he needed to do. It was difficult in daylight, but much more difficult at night.

TXAB4fWN_o.jpg

Reggie danced across the tracks to the signal box and relative safety, with Robert’s warning “Don’t get hit!” ringing in his ears. He gave the movements to Old Roger, and then dashed back to his engine, only tripping twice in his nervous eagerness to avoid being run over on the fast main.

ASs8Dzlp_o.jpg

As soon as Reggie made it up into the cab, Robert was laying on the whistle and yanking regulator and cutoff open, to get up speed. Old Roger had aligned the switches already and Robert was wasting no time. They could barely see the signals through the fog, darkness, and billowing steam.

D3sLOTL2_o.jpg

Robert slowed as they passed the Dearnby Station platform. Dim shapes of people hurrying to and fro in the damp fog could barely be seen. They were coming in between passenger schedules, so they needed to be quick. Robert guessed the next train on the line was probably less than ten minutes away.

PKCHylbU_o.jpg

Shortly after passing the second Dearnby signal box, Robert found his engine smartly shunted off the down slow main into the upper yard. They passed the empty dock of the Dearnby Creamery, which had the lights on but was otherwise deserted.

5ESQWIJE_o.jpg

Robert engaged the engine and train brakes and eased to a stop on the siding. This put them on the far side of the Dearnby Shed, whose ornate windows shone brightly against the foggy night. Robert didn’t want to crank up Reggie any more than he already was, this being his first night run, so he told Reggie to keep the fire going and he would uncouple the coal consist. As he jumped down from the cab, he thought he saw figures over on the coal heap. He figured the Shed yard would be mostly deserted by now. Then he uncoupled the coal cars and rushed back to the engine. They were really close, and he was sure they’d have the switches against them.

Back