UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

A T14 is one of those locos that I'd quite like to do, but so far hasn't reached the top of my list...

Understandable. You've done so many locomotives for us all in the past and I can't thank you enough for all of them. At this rate you'll probably go through every locomotive in the LSWR Catalog at some point!

The Paddleboxes making another stand once again! Although they were high fuel consumers during their time on the LSWR, I like to think that here on Dearnby they were able to reach their full potential running trains from Dearnby on Sea to Bristol, Gloucester and occasionally to Cardiff across the River Severn.

Dearnby has three P14s on shed, No. 451 is one of them. On this occasion it is taking the evening express dubbed "The Emerald Flash" after the sunset phenomenon since the train departs shortly before dusk.

Upon closer inspection, the first four coaches in the express are LNWR owned carriages. This is part of an agreement with the LNWR that a small portion of a separate train is tacked on for transit to Bristol to be taken off and added onto a train heading north to Nottingham via the GCR Mainline. The LSWR Brake Coach is part of the consist as a last minute replacement to a Drummond Passenger Brake that ran a hot box shortly before the departure was to take place.

J42hN9M.jpg
[/IMG]

The Emerald Flash departs at 6:30pm (just shortly before sundown) and makes one stop at Badgercombe before beginning it's long sprint to Gloucester. As it departs from Dearnby Central, the P14 catches the L&B 2-6-2T "Exe" on its final run of the day - the evening commuter train that carries the mill and dock workers home to Casterford. Needless to say, the train is packed as it always is during the weekdays.

u8MS2cZ.jpg
[/IMG]

BU2UVSp.jpg
[/IMG]

As the train reaches the main line just south of Badgercombe, the clock strikes 6:55pm and dusk begins to settle in. The lights of the setting sun dance along the shiny sage paintwork of No.451's boiler, giving a physical example as to why the express was given its name.

ERDj1Fc.jpg
[/IMG]

PDHj0t6.jpg
[/IMG]

gdiMcmR.jpg
[/IMG]

KZF3ncM.jpg
[/IMG]

Upon arriving in Badgercombe, the Emerald Flash stops to pick up its last set of passengers before departing from the Dearnby region for the north. The only train left in service is a lone M7 ready to return to Dearnby Central with an empty push-pull set after completing it's evening rounds. After nightfall, the only trains to pass through this section of line will be the Great Western midnight goods trains heading to Plymouth or Truro.

qZJsztI.jpg
[/IMG]

O83S8XH.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Thanks Annie!!:) I really fell in love with Ed's Paddleboxes. These locomotives are so beautiful that it's a shame not to operate them!

I like to do a bit of "World Building" when I operate a route.
It adds to the fun of running locomotives and adds a bit of realism to the screenshots I post. I have to be careful though, there's only so much bending of history you can do before it becomes absurd! :hehe:

Now that we have Edward on a sleeping schedule you can bet you will see more from me! I'm really looking forward to adding the D15s to the sheds at Dearnby!

I have to be careful though, there's only so much bending of history you can do before it becomes absurd! :hehe:

Like my alternative Norfolk layout that takes in a large slice of the Doggerland that somehow never slipped beneath the sea in ancient times. :)

Nice that Edward is sleeping well now. There's nothing more peaceful than the sound of a sleeping baby.

Now that's something I did not know! I had never heard of Doggerland until you mentioned it and it was certainly an experience researching it! Suddenly the Cramptons and many other European locomotives you've used over the years make a lot of sense! Maybe one day you can run an express service from UK to France eh?

And thanks about Edward by the way, I usually have to wait until we get him down until I get on the forums. He loves to watch daddy run trains and wont go to sleep when I do! :hehe:

Running another set of Trains on Dearnby 1900s. This time the more local goods trains in the Dearnby Region!

The A12 Class designed by William Adams was well renowned for being a successful passenger locomotive for the LSWR aptly named "Jubilees" for their timely introduction during the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria.

In the later years of the LSWR, these once proud little engines are beginning to be replaced by the bigger and more powerful Drummond 4-4-0s and 4-6-0s as they begin to dominate the Southwestern Coast. Because of this, the 0-4-2s found themselves on secondary passenger and freight duties. Fortunately, this saved many of them from the scrapper's torch as many were dispatched across the network to take charge of secondary duties that older engines once had.

Dearnby's LSWR sheds is no exception as they own quite a few of them. One of the more pristine examples is No.647 which is currently allocated to Dearnby Junction on freight duties. Up until a few weeks ago the little Jubilee was still wearing it's Royal Green paintwork and was beginning to look a bit faded, but now is enjoying a fresh new coat of Sage Green like its Drummond successors. No.647 is getting ready to take an early morning goods train up to Dearnby Central to be unloaded. The crew has arrived early to coal and water their engine before the journey starts.

lJu3KaK.jpg
[/IMG]

0Pkayp1.jpg
[/IMG]

As the A12 leaves the junction, it passes a Drummond C8 on early commuter work. While considered to be unremarkable by many locomotive experts as basically just a copy of Drummond's earlier CR designs, the LSWR C8 was one the most common LSWR locomotives in the Dearnby's network and was used for almost any job due to it's versatility in work. In 1902, Dearnby sheds was reported to have at least 53 C8's in their possession.

LcoAvEo.jpg
[/IMG]

Quickly approaching Casterford, the Jubilee's driver increases the cutoff to improve their arrival time. The larger driving wheels of the locomotive helped improve the acceleration and make for faster freight runs. The train is comprised up of rolling stock from all thee companies of the Southern Region. The three main companies that dominate the south of England put in a contract with Dearnby to have a portion of their goods shipped from Dearnby's dockyards. The LBSCR is by far the largest partner in this agreement and has started to approach the Dearnby District board about temporary running rights to the dock using their own rolling stock. Besides the occasional borrowed locomotive, this would not come to pass until the Grouping Act takes place in 1923, but that is a different story.

Ppz0Db1.jpg
[/IMG]

BtAUJMw.jpg
[/IMG]

80mJ5g2.jpg
[/IMG]

g1xCgXr.jpg
[/IMG]

One last tour over the bridge and the train will have reached Casterford. No.647 is a favorite of the crews and is looked after constantly. This will come to it's advantage in the future as the owner of a certain preservation line will gain a significant interest in it...

1Uj6KVP.jpg
[/IMG]

Sm2FFYI.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Another lovely collection of screenshots Tanker. The 'Jubilees' certainly are a handsome engine.

I'm not totally original in claiming parts of Doggerland for a railway as there have been other layout builders over the years that have let their imagination run wild over the possibilities of that vast landscape.

I can imagine! Based on the map I looked at which included Doggerland, it is a direct connection with France and Germany. Running Railway lines in a world where it still exists would theoretically allow you to operate British, French, and German rolling stock on one layout. Aside from the SNCF vans occasionally found at Dover Marine, that's something I have always been interested in.

And I really like the Jubilee's as well. I was working on a model of my own until Ed came out with his! At least I still have the GER T26S though! :hehe:

They have a real place in my heart like the GER T26s do for you. :) I only wish one would have survived until Nationalization so it could have been given a BR livery.

re post #3167 Tanker46
An excellent presentation of shots and loco class history as well, thank you.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Excellent Screenshot Tom! Cmburgess' s Y3 Sentinel is a real favorite of mine. Is that on the Wisbech Tramway?

I've taken so many screenshots for the standard gauge lines on Dearnby that I have neglected the little locomotives that operate the narrow gauge lines all over the region!

A little bit of history. The Dearnby Narrow Gauge Railway predates the arrival of the LSWR by about a decade. The mills and factories surrounding Dearnby and Casterford needed a reliable means of transport to move their product and so contracted the construction of a 2ft Narrow Gauge line from Dearnby Central to Casterford Junction (Later named Dearnby Junction). Originally, the locomotives ordered to run the line were Manning Wardell 2-6-2Ts not unlike the Lynton and Barnstaple locomotives. Due to the timing and nature of the order, Manning Wardle accidentally crafted two sets of identical locomotives for L&B instead of one. Although the error was sorted out, the company had already placed the nameplates onto the locomotives before arrival.

As such the first three engines to operate the line were 'replicas' (if you can even call them that) of L&B locomotives Exe, Taw, and Yeo. Additonal locomotives would be donated to operate the line later on but that is another story for another time.

jIeaynC.jpg
[/IMG]

IBVMuud.jpg
[/IMG]

The three little locomotives share a shed at the dockyards outside of Dearnby Central lovingly named "Dearne on Sea". While they are all painted in the original L&B colors they each have different jobs. The first train of the morning is taken by Exe and is a commuter run from Dearnby to Casterford to pick up the dockworkers for their daily grind by the seaside. The train departs the station at 3:00am so the drivers groggily coal and water Exe for its first job of the day. Taw and Yeo will follow shortly behind with full schedules of passenger and freight trains respectively.

5VfaYXQ.jpg
[/IMG]

1MXrzBN.jpg
[/IMG]

On it's way! Exe makes it's way out of the masonry of the manufacturer's district and out into the southwestern countryside. The sun is slowly starting to rise and the noise and smoke from the little engine is catching the attention of every sleepy farm animal in the hills!

MNkZybz.jpg
[/IMG]

VsrgKIx.jpg
[/IMG]

BAd3pUH.jpg
[/IMG]

Tanker46 ... No Welney & Umneth Tramway from DLS in the estate that was originally NG but converted to SG in the TRS19 version, thanks using some unbranded wagons saying they are own by the Tramway and limited to their lines

Tom

Ah yes! That was what I meant. I have a version of the Umneth and Welney Tramway in TRS19. I have several dock shunters that run the route and the Y3 is one of them. Truly a joy to operate!

Excellent screenshots all around! :)

Amazing, Tanker46!

Thank you Neville! I really have to give credit to you and your partner for making this amazing route! It means the world to me that you are enjoying what I have worked on! :D

8OqwKkm.jpg
[/IMG]

qHI31Nv.jpg
[/IMG]

ribY9Cf.jpg
[/IMG]

zc2cT3n.jpg
[/IMG]

8UBv6JS.jpg
[/IMG]

l2LMprJ.jpg
[/IMG]

OlCUVwz.jpg
[/IMG]

UgqCZU5.jpg
[/IMG]

As far as backdating goes, I've managed to replace the streetlights with gas lamps, switch out the modern ships with Sloops and older tramp steamers, and replace most of the road has been taken away and replaced by cobblestone variants. A huge shout-out to Steveflanders because 90 percent of the Pre-Grouping scenery in this route was made by him. I still have a lot to do (mainly figuring out what to do about the airport) but I should be done with the bulk of it in a week or two.

I also switched out the LMS Billboards with other types of Edwardian and Victorian billboards! Though I'm not too sure about this one...

U7VWVTV.jpg
[/IMG]

The hardest part of backdating this route is locating all the cars and lorries and replacing them with horse carriages and Victorian steam vehicles! There are so many!! I'm sure I've missed at least a few so if anyone spots them on my screenshots please feel free to point it out!

Last edited:
tdstead, I thought I recognised it. That part of the route was based on the NG Potato Railways of Lincolnshire and North Cambridgeshire.

Last edited:
As far as backdating goes, I've managed to replace the streetlights with gas lamps, switch out the modern ships with Sloops and older tramp steamers, and replace most of the road has been taken away and replaced by cobblestone variants. A huge shout-out to Steveflanders because 90 percent of the Pre-Grouping scenery in this route was made by him. I still have a lot to do (mainly figuring out what to do about the airport) but I should be done with the bulk of it in a week or two.

I also switched out the LMS Billboards with other types of Edwardian and Victorian billboards! Though I'm not too sure about this one...

The hardest part of backdating this route is locating all the cars and lorries and replacing them with horse carriages and Victorian steam vehicles! There are so many!! I'm sure I've missed at least a few so if anyone spots them on my screenshots please feel free to point it out!

Welcome to my world Tanker. Getting things period correct with pre-grouping routes can be both frustrating and rewarding at the same time. And the further back you go the more difficult it gets. Having done such things for a while now I found it doesn't take long before a collection of Edwardian era assets begins to build up on your hard drives.

Very nice work with Dearnby. It very much feels like a pre-grouping layout now and makes me feel right at home.

An airport? On one layout I gave the retro treatment to I introduced airships to the layout after demolishing most of a modern airport, but I freely admit I was in a bit of a Steampunk mood on that occasion.

kdvvcI7.jpg

Re Post #3177 Tanker46
Brilliant screenies and good luck with the backdating. We look forward to more.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Yes when I sent a email and asked he he said he had to change the 2ft NG to get rid of old obsolete and faulty assets ... my self thinking it should be still run as a separate line as most of its operations are still contained within it. Moving stones to Farms, Potatoes to the port, Cattle can now be moved off the line and goods onto but could have it that they are picked up and shunted by local locos, kept the trains shouter for modern times could be a place for the little 2950 class also had tram sides?

might have to replace the barns that were used as NG engine shed with the industrial engine shed though

Any ideas accepted

Tom

tdstead, I thought I recognised it. That part of the route was based on the NG Potato Railways of Lincolnshire and North Cambridgeshire.

A Idea
Not sure if Import or WWII Trophy on of the KOEF's numbered it 2991 in the BR shunter series on way to Little foot farm to drop off stones, couplers from wagons do connect too.
Not-sure-if-Inport-or-WWII-Trophy-KOEF-2-on-way-to-Little-foot-farm-to-drop-stones.jpg

They do fit in original sheds, this one I gave back the original KOEF sounds that I like.

Tom

Last edited:
The shedmaster caught old Billy just as he was attempting to slip out, just a trifle early, for a quick pint. Said one of the signals on the mast was sticking. Reported by the night box, ever diligent despite the weather conditions.

Grumbling mightily, Billy returned to his locker to get his gloves. There'd be hell to pay if someone took his stool at the pub before he got through with this last-minute job. On a quick reflection, he slipped his black & white 35mm camera into his heavy jacket pocket.

He crunched his way across the dry snow on the sleepers that was falling heavier now and collecting between the rails. "Careful on the ladder," called the shedmaster.

Billy was atop the bridge, and had just finished freeing up the signal and oiling it down well, when a freight came laboring beneath his perch. The driver laid on the whistle, just as he pulled beneath Billy, resulting in a torrent of curses and the shouted admonishment "What'd ya think I was doing up here, sleeping?"

Fumbling for his camera, he just managed to catch a shot of the freight, but didn't have time for the flash.

Despite the cold, he stayed for a little while longer, watching the cold blanket of snow and fog slowly envelop the scene. Then he headed for the pub to warm up.

9TyPuApi_o.jpg

Back