UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Providing much needed housing for local families as a lot of the housing in Cornwall is bought up by rich out of county types as second homes or holiday lets thus depriving the local population of homes!

I have just recently found my copy of Paulz L&Y Class 27 on a CD that I thought was lost! I have re-installed it and am in the process of beautifying it!

Rob.

Lucky that you found it Rob.
Backing up assets is a necessity but remembering where the backup is located is no less important!
I have just had to restore a seven year-old photograph file from an backup drive.

Frank

Yes I must agree about the problem with rich people buying up houses in rural districts as second homes. We have it here in New Zealand where people who have lived for generations in coastal communities are being squeezed out by wealthy folk wanting a second home in an attractive location. Except with changes in weather patterns and sea level rise due to global warming these rich types are suddenly discovering that the insurance companies don't want to have anything to do with insuring their expensive house by the sea.

I haven't really done anything with my own L&Y Class 27. Paul gave it to me when I purchased a pair of Class 27's in early BR livery for my early period BR layout. I did fettle those two a bit, - not that a lot can be done with two grubby black engines, but they did get some detailing including proper LMS Horwich rebuild plates.

That 27 looks at home there great stuff :D.

The buying of second homes is a huge problem in Scotland BUT the next latest major crisis facing my local community and council is the volume of flats/houses/anything being turned into AirBnB lets. So much so that permissions for this are actually being denied because whole blocks of flats are being left empty because it's all for holidays and not residences.

First of all I tried the engine spec that I use with my 19th century mineral engines, but that didn't work since the boiler and grate size didn't work for the larger and heavier Class 27, - so I used Paul Hobb's 3F engine spec and that went better.

2oltyPk.jpg

I was holding my breath a bit here though, but then the engine got a second wind and started to pull away. But I finally ended up stalling past the speed restriction for the PWD crew. This is a wicked gradient, - it makes the climb up to Crowcombe Heathfield on the Minehead branch look like a Sunday stroll in the park.

XHTVzui.jpg

Yes it certainly is a toughy, doubt the curve helps too haha. The speed restriction was there because going around the bend before the bridge at 35 looked ridiculous from inside and out :hehe: . Visions of the passengers being thrown into the isle or a gentlemens head coming to rest in a ladies lap made me chuckle.

EDIT;

While I was checking back here and the Discord I was actually trialling some pre-grouping. I think it doesn't look out of place at all;

D8164F7DF5FE16F03D5CAE6DA401E884D76AA282

743FC9831F799AFBA0B191C115C599954CF7D082

6A1AA863EC618AFFE83BFD5111B0251286066867

BD0001B0380B80FEE2E51BAC1EBD76852A02EF9D

D32156DDCD4A8BBA99B3071DA0AA6C7EA1B68C95

Not winning any awards for speed but it made it alright. When I get time I'll experiment with freight and see how it does. However, I don't think this engine was for freight but let me know if i'm wrong.

Last edited:
Now that looks very nice indeed Jimmy. The 4-4-0 would very much be a passenger engine only; - though on the Great North of Scotland Railway they used 4-4-0's for everything. But then they were a railway that tended to go their own way on everything.

I was finally able to get the Class 27 up to the top of the hill. I was a bit puzzled because the Class 27 had been so reluctant to steam on my previous run so I had a look at the engine spec. I'd grabbed the payware 3F espec in TS2019 and used that, but when I looked at it, it was for TC3 and well and truly obsolete. So I went and got the 3F espec from TS2012 3.7 and suddenly I had an engine that could steam! I managed to stall the Class 27 trying to slow for the 20mph restriction and after a bit of a fight I was able to restart despite being on a steep gradient. The fact that the boiler pressure had been keeping steady on about 150 psi made all the difference.
It does make me wonder about N3V though, - making an obsolete TC3 espec locked in payware so the the engine it's inflicted on can't steam for toffee doesn't seem very smart to me.

I've purchased some L&Y class 23 saddle tanks from Paulz Trainz and with the US dollar dropping like a stone they were a cheap buy. The L&Y saddle tank in Trainz is payware and is a locked in fossil so that's why I went ahead with buying them from Paul. I'm seriously thinking about doing some open wagon L&Y reskins using the same base wagon as I used for the LNWR and MR wagon in my screenshots. No brake van unfortunately nor anything suitable I could reskin either.

Now that looks very nice indeed Jimmy. The 4-4-0 would very much be a passenger engine only; - though on the Great North of Scotland Railway they used 4-4-0's for everything. But then they were a railway that tended to go their own way on everything.

I was finally able to get the Class 27 up to the top of the hill. I was a bit puzzled because the Class 27 had been so reluctant to steam on my previous run so I had a look at the engine spec. I'd grabbed the payware 3F espec in TS2019 and used that, but when I looked at it, it was for TC3 and well and truly obsolete. So I went and got the 3F espec from TS2012 3.7 and suddenly I had an engine that could steam! I managed to stall the Class 27 trying to slow for the 20mph restriction and after a bit of a fight I was able to restart despite being on a steep gradient. The fact that the boiler pressure had been keeping steady on about 150 psi made all the difference.
It does make me wonder about N3V though, - making an obsolete TC3 espec locked in payware so the the engine it's inflicted on can't steam for toffee doesn't seem very smart to me.

I've purchased some L&Y class 23 saddle tanks from Paulz Trainz and with the US dollar dropping like a stone they were a cheap buy. The L&Y saddle tank in Trainz is payware and is a locked in fossil so that's why I went ahead with buying them from Paul. I'm seriously thinking about doing some open wagon L&Y reskins using the same base wagon as I used for the LNWR and MR wagon in my screenshots. No brake van unfortunately nor anything suitable I could reskin either.

Good stuff, ye it seems very odd it was using that. Glad you got it working

A still very much WIP screenshot of Wadebridge. The original builder of the North Cornwall layout had this strange notion that the land inside a railway boundary fence is way more fertile than the surrounding landscape and that railway staff don't mind having to fight their way through five foot tall clumps of weeds in order to carry out their duties. He also seemed to think that laying out stations, goods yards and major junctions didn't involve having to level the ground first. But don't mind me, - I can be quite obsessive when I'm building up a layout.

A snap taken along the line to Bodmin at Boscarne Junction; - also WIP. I'm using OS maps as a general guide, but I'm not being all super fastidious about it since my intention is to tidy up the layout as it stands without going into major upheavals of the landscape.

Very nice WIP! I created a DEM of Wadebridge and the line to Padstow years ago, but didn't progress it. The terrain (created in TransDEM) is accurate to 10m and I did start adding scenery. You're welcome to have it if that would help.

Paul

Very nice WIP! I created a DEM of Wadebridge and the line to Padstow years ago, but didn't progress it. The terrain (created in TransDEM) is accurate to 10m and I did start adding scenery. You're welcome to have it if that would help.

Paul

That would be absolutely brilliant Paul. Thank you very much. At present I'm staring at at old OS maps and driving myself nuts over trying to fix the errors in the section of the North Cornwall layout I'm working on.

Would you like me to PM you my email address?

Paul

That would be absolutely wonderful Paul. Thank you very much. At the moment I'm spending too much time looking at old OS maps and driving myself nuts trying to knock this section of the North Cornwall Railway layout into shape.

Would you like me to PM you my email address.

L&Y Class 23 saddle tanks at Darce shed. They are older models and simple in their details, but they do what it says on the tin and are perfectly fine in TS2019 despite their age.

LJuxMYQ.jpg

Up until now I've only had southern English engines and rolling stock in TS2019 so it's been a bit of a scramble finding and installing pre-grouping rolling stock. I have part done wagon reskins on my hard drive that I ran out of steam on when I was more sleepy during our Winter so I really need to hunt those out and complete them.

fxQhX5o.jpg

'Looks like it might rain' Out and about with one of the Class 23 saddle tanks. They steam well and are nice to drive, but can be a bit slippy. I discovered that they don't have coal and water queued in their config files so that was a bit of a task to fix since they have complicated magical incantations and it took me a couple tries to get it right.

VeGybkk.jpg

At the quarry. Anyone else get annoyed by TS2019's pop up comments while driving. I'm driving an elderly saddle tank hauling a train of loose coupled wagons. Its brakes aren't very good and its prone to slipping; - so whoever it was at N3V who dreamed up the backseat driver commentary needs to go and take a running jump at themselves.

YitHRKH.jpg

'Looks like it might rain' Out and about with one of the Class 23 saddle tanks. They steam well and are nice to drive, but can be a bit slippy. I discovered that they don't have coal and water queued in their config files so that was a bit of a task to fix since they have complicated magical incantations and it took me a couple tries to get it right.

At the quarry. Anyone else get annoyed by TS2019's pop up comments while driving. I'm driving an elderly saddle tank hauling a train of loose coupled wagons. Its brakes aren't very good and its prone to slipping; - so whoever it was at N3V who dreamed up the backseat driver commentary needs to go and take a running jump at themselves.

Looking good, yes the "rough handling" remark tends to get some choice words from me. Luckily it can be switched off. Anyone else find the size of the UI on the screen really really annoying. Compared to T:ANEs tiny panel its comically huge.

Those remarks are just so irritating (not yours Jimmy!) even when AI is in control you get the rough handling remarks!!!
As for the interface, the driver one with the zombie pics is way too huge, luckily X marks the spot for removal.

Looking good, yes the "rough handling" remark tends to get some choice words from me. Luckily it can be switched off. Anyone else find the size of the UI on the screen really really annoying. Compared to T:ANEs tiny panel its comically huge.

How? How do you turn the backseat driver comments off? I like driving in TS2019, but the pop up comments and the huge UI definitely take the shine off. I'm more used to driving in TS2012 with its small neat interface and its taken a while for me to adjust to the difference.

How? How do you turn the backseat driver comments off? I like driving in TS2019, but the pop up comments and the huge UI definitely take the shine off. I'm more used to driving in TS2012 with its small neat interface and its taken a while for me to adjust to the difference.

Oh, its in the options at the top left or bottom left (I can't remember and not in a positon to open 19 atm) Basically there's like 3-4 different pop-up menus related to different aspects of the UI/Game. 3D heads aswell? What an odd addition.

If you mean the stuff at the bottom you can resize it, Driver settings > Interface height slider.

While I wait for some reference material for the NVR, I'm revisiting Wathdale about 30 years later. Some track's been lifted, some new buildings and the removal of old ones. So far so good with testing different types on the line as shown below;

Very prototypical passenger service
9C3CCA24F63F0A24E4B30C6C85AF3F836E28BA78

053C234F433762D8629E136056BF2568C715CB59

Something a little larger passing by the new shunting offices

A7CAC6D003F2A925C069F28B9DB71D66F229FF59

Times are changing...

85FB8268BAB6B966F6703AC5857A4AAC358277CF

DDA9648C3CB7BA3ADF43B85F96CB55F5BCB0999D

Some other engines looking a little worse for wear

7D7B92743E48FD11E98EAA6C75ACF229DFA8A1D0

The WD is a much better model than the old 8F and seems to be doing a good a job as any.
B291172FD1263E4510D815974F0FEBC0B93A7A75

British Railways everywhere.

Back