UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Yes the colours are a bit vivid. The GTX660 video card I'm using now has a lot more colour depth than the one I was using two years ago. I haven't really done anything with adjusting any of the settings yet so that will hopefully improve things.

My maternal grandad was an engine driver, but on the railways here in New Zealand and not the Uk.

#2462 Nice misty screenshots Frank. Worsdell P1's are one of my favourite engines.

Last edited:
Guns, Coal and Steam

Sunny days have brought out a farmer and friends while shunting goes on behind them at Harraton Colliery, near Washington in County Durham, mid-1950s. The houses in the right background comprise most of a colliery hamlet called "Nova Scotia" and stood astride the Fatfield Wagonway to quays beside the River Wear where keelboats were loaded with coal for transhipment down to the seagoing colliers at the river mouth. This traffic ceased when riverside staithes opened near the river mouth.

The lane behind the shooting party is Bone Mill Lane and marks the route of the 18th century wooden wagonway from Beamish Mary Pit to the Fatfield quays at Chartershaugh. At the southern end of the long terrace of Nova Scotia stood the Row Pit coal mine, served by a spur from the wagonway. Further on along the Fatfield wagonway was the Dolly Pit coal mine. The shafts of both closed as Harraton Colliery expanded. Harraton Colliery itself is shown as opening before 1794! When the Stanhope and Tyne Railway opened in 1834 it crossed the Great North Road at Pelaw Grange on the level, very close to the site where the Fatfield Wagonway crossed the road. Working towards the summit at Vigo was on an inclined plane operated by the Vigo engine. The wagonway joined the S&TR and the section of the wagonway between Pelaw Grange and Nova Scotia closed. Later, in 1857 the level crossing was replaced by a wooden bridge and later still, in 1893 a wrought iron bridge was built by the N.E.R. At some point around 1860 Harraton Colliery was served by a branch from the former S&TR, which by then was the N.E.R. Pontop & South Shields branch. The wagonway branch extended past the colliery and picked up the former wooden wagonway route to Chartershaugh, Fatfield. This line fell out of use past a set of coal cells at Nova Scotia (visible just above the five bar gate) some time after WWI, meaning that by 1939 Nove Scotia had seen the existence of two different lines through it come and go.

Last edited:
Some Steam Images from North West Leicestershire

view_media_post

Loading at South Leicestershire colliery:

NW-Leics-Loading-at-S.-Leicestershire-Colliery.jpg

Leaving Coalville station loaded:

NW-Leics-Leaving-Coalville-Station.jpg

Evening northbound commuter:

NW-Leics-Evening-Commuter.jpg

Commuter approaching Bagworth station:

NW-Leics-Evening-Commuter-Approaching-Bagworth-Station.jpg

Here's a bit from RichardBosnak's Welney & Umneth Tramway for TRS19:

vF3p90U.jpg
[/IMG]

wmO2O4N.jpg
[/IMG]

TxH0U4R.jpg
[/IMG]

And a few shots of Cmburgess's delightful little Y3 Sentinel as it runs its daily coal deliveries.

quAS6yM.jpg
[/IMG]

I9aTIJp.jpg
[/IMG]

lvt4V51.jpg
[/IMG]

#2465. Those are some great screenshots pogbellies. You've done some excellent work there.

#2466. Welney & Umneth Tramway, - always a favourite for me Tanker. RichardBosnak did a great job of refreshing it for TS2019. My only criticism is that I find the route confusing with the narrow gauge lines converted to standard gauge

#2466. Welney & Umneth Tramway, - always a favourite for me Tanker. RichardBosnak did a great job of refreshing it for TS2019. My only criticism is that I find the route confusing with the narrow gauge lines converted to standard gauge

First screenshots I've seen of the route since it was updated for 2019. Needed doing...started doing it myself but still working on it, along with a summer version. I'm just pleased the route still gets used.

Really? I had no idea the tramway had its own narrow gauge system! Could you mind pointing them out for me? I'd really like to know which ones were intended as narrow gauge ones! :)

A few more from the tramway. I don't know why but the sentinels have really captured my hear lately! I guess its because I have a real soft spot for dockside locos and these little guys would look right at home there! They look so neat chugging their way through the snow! :)

YN0KEeX.jpg
[/IMG]

First screenshots I've seen of the route since it was updated for 2019. Needed doing...started doing it myself but still working on it, along with a summer version. I'm just pleased the route still gets used.

It definitely gets use from me! I really love the small dockyard portion of Umneth since it really reminds me of some of the East Coast towns I used to visit in my childhood. Plus it's a great place to run dockside locomotives scurry about with their loads!

NlwShXm.jpg
[/IMG]

xK0ExWB.jpg
[/IMG]

The narrow gauge network on the original layout was fairly extensive Tanker so the only real way to find out where it was and where it went to would be to download the original layout. I do have the original layout in TS2019, it has more than a few missing dependencies, but none of them seem to be that critical. The main thing is that you'll be able to see the narrow gauge network which is the important thing.

Really? I had no idea the tramway had its own narrow gauge system! Could you mind pointing them out for me? I'd really like to know which ones were intended as narrow gauge ones! :)

There are a number of small area's of Narrow Gauge, including two around the Umneth Harbour area your screenshots are from. The branch Annie is talking about heads off north into the Fen between Weldsoken and Elmswell. It was based on the agricultural/Potato railways of North Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire around the Wash.

I know the team that updated the rout for TRS19 had problems finding suitable track (or something) for the update.

It definitely gets use from me! I really love the small dockyard portion of Umneth since it really reminds me of some of the East Coast towns I used to visit in my childhood. Plus it's a great place to run dockside locomotives scurry about with their loads!

Yes, that area is based on Wells-Next-The-Sea on the North Norfolk coast. Umneth Town station is either Wells again or Cromer.....I can't remember which. All of the route is based (track plans, purpose and/or scenery) on actual railways in somewhere in East Anglia.

I had so much fun building the route. It was built in TRS04 and the hunt for content suitable for use was something I enjoyed. Not sure why. Some parts of the track work are clumsy but I'm so pleased it's still being used. There are a lot more suitable assets now that could help deal with the missing dependencies young Annie mentioned.

Hi Tanker, what is the steam tram under on the DLS as I seem to have lost the one I had in TRS12. Also what were it and the Sentinel primarily used for?

Hey Pogbellies! The Tram is an LNER J70 Class and isn't actually found on the DLS. Its a payware model made by Camscott and is available for purchase on his website as part of a 15 dollar pack containing the rolling stock for the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway. There's a lot of content in there so I definitely reccomend it!

The J70s were used primarily by the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway because they could operate on rail lines that traveled through public areas were regular engines were not allowed to go. KotangaGirl is our resident GER Expert so I'm sure she could tell you more!

As for the Y3 Sentinels, they were designed for shunting and operating on branch lines where poor track could not be maintained. Although they rarely pulled trains due to slow operation speed I like to think that these odd little locos would feel right at home on the Unmeth where light rail operation and slow speeds are the norm for rail traffic!

Strange about the update team not being able to find track as I was sure Malc (Cam1952) had made some good NG track for his Ffestiniog project.
G15's were developed and tried out on the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway, but were found to be wanting and that lead to the C53's (J70) being built. Quite a few G15's went into storage, but were hired out to vatous minor railways from time to time. Some of the early G15's were withdrawn and their numbers taken by the new C53's, but it's highly likely that more than a few parts from the withdrawn G15's were used to build the first C53's.
Personally I think the Sentinels are a good choice for the
Wisbech and Upwell whether they did actually work there or not. Too late for my own GER tramways of course, but they are a lot of fun. On a LNER layout I messed around with for a while I once used three of them to move a heavy coal train, - the sound, the fury, the smoke!

Paulz Trainz has a J70 as well in LNER and BR condition. They are older models with mesh differences between the LNER and the BR versions. They aren't completely accurate and the one I use has had a lot of work done to it, but it does Ok and is a lot of fun to drive from the cab..

iTTOSYx.jpg

I have just been looking at the original Welney route and found that I never located the NG track as it appears to have been by Bogesz and not on the DLS and also it used Mike10's junctions which were of course broken after 2004.

Doing a little test running on the TS2019 Welney route with a G13¾. The model is on the DLS, but it's actually too short for a G15. This one has been considerably modded by me and it usually works on my Hopewood Tramway along with two others.

1hjG73l.jpg

Welney Wash by Lord-Claude-Hamilton converted to TS2019. By the time I found missing dependencies on obscure Romanian websites, changed the track, found my BR liveried J70's, sorted out the wagons I wanted...... I was too tired to do anything except take this screenshot. I still have some trees to change since TS2019 murdered most of the nice old Winter TS2004 billboard trees, but that shouldn't take too long.

r1ZNJzl.jpg

Somewhat "in the bleak midwinter" there Annie! A well muffled fellow or two in a donkey jacket with a brazier made out of an old dustbin with holes knocked in it and a small pile of coal and scrap timber beside it comes to mind.

Thanks Frank. The route is a bit lacking in people at the moment so I shall have to see what I can find. There are one or two braziers about, but nobody warming themselves by them. I imagine the problem might be that back in TS2004 days when the original route was made there were very few people figures available for Trainz.
My biggest problem at the moment is that Winter trees for TS2019 are not very good and even though TS2019 has ruined their textures the old billboard trees still manage to look better and more believable. I had this problem too with converting the K&ESR in Winter route to TS2019 and only changed the billboard trees if they were worse than what TS2019 had on offer.

I think that Jankvis has been doing work on trees and vegetation for TRS2019 but I'd have to go in to the forum to locate the thread.

There are a couple of people in this shot.

Back