UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Great shots. 9F #92197 was an Eastern Region loco, and sadly achieved a short service life of only 6yrs 11 months and 1 day. This was a considerable waste of precious capital investment when the asset would have been capable of achieving 40 or even 50 years of service. Allocated to Doncaster (36A) when new on 30th September 1958, switched to Frodingham (36C) during February 1959 but was back at Doncaster by May 1959. During September 1960 she was allocated to her final shed, Immingham (40B). Withdrawal came during the week ending 19 September 1965.

Excellent shots Andy.

... 9F #92197 was an Eastern Region loco, and sadly achieved a short service life of only 6yrs 11 months and 1 day. This was a considerable waste of precious capital investment when the asset would have been capable of achieving 40 or even 50 years of service...

I'd read that Riddles was a very strong anti-diesel advocate and pushed his steam "agenda" against many red flags and evidence for benefits of dieselization... The BR Standard classes being started two years before his ultimate retirement in 1953. Unfortunately because of this, nearly all the great BR Standard classes were built and cut up within a span of 15 years, some classes not even making it to preservation.

An interesting read..

Hi Ron

Unfortunately, with the railways being a state-controlled entity post-1948, the events of the British Railways nationalisation era have a political dimension. Riddles may have had his preference for steam but the country could neither afford to electrify the network, nor could the country afford the oil imports to run diesels. Coal could be dug from the ground in the UK by miners working for the nationalised state-owned National Coal Board. Unions in the coal industry and rail industry had the ear of government during Labour administrations and had the threat of strikes held over the government's head during Conservative administrations during the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s.

However, Riddles could not have turned out the standards without explicit support (particularly explicit financial support) from Ministers, Senior Civil Servants and members of the British Transport Commission (not replaced by the British Railways Board until 1962). Finer minds than mine have analysed and written on the political dimensions of railway policy between 1948 and 1962.

I have always understood that Riddles expected the government to press ahead with wide scale electrification, so therefore didn't see the need to spend time and effort on dieselisation but carry on with steam. Political interference has always been a bugbear since world war two as every time the governing party changes, so does the policy due to their opposing views on public transport.

QcVkDbF.jpg

The Potteries Loop Line has been transferred from T:ANE to TRS19 seemingly without problems - great stuff!

Rob.

Now there's a shot from evilcrow, post #2008, from T:ANE, that is far superior to any shot others or I have posted from TRS19! Great shot, evilcrow!

Rob.

Looking at your shot and the TANE shot the obvious difference is the darker lighting in TANE. This effect can be easily obtained in TRS19 using the environment tool.
See this link for an interactive tutorial
https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/y4J2Rl

Also check your monitor calibration as settings can make quite a difference.

Great shots all,sorry I haven't posted in a while,but Farming Simulator is just too addictive...

Sorry on the late response Evilcrow,but as for the station colours,although the route isn't really based on any region,I could consider repainting the station to BR 1950's colours...

Anyways,some screenshots and I did some more work on the route...

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

The horrid Auran bridge has been replaced with jayholland's significantly better LSWR bridge,although the setup is not perfect,it's good enough for me...

Also did some work at the yard over here,although some improvements could be made and it could be less crammed...

Signal box view of the locomotive's passing by...

...And replaced the modern fence with more period (For the countryside I think...) wooden 3-bar fence...

Looking at your shot and the TANE shot the obvious difference is the darker lighting in TANE. This effect can be easily obtained in TRS19 using the environment tool.
See this link for an interactive tutorial
https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/y4J2Rl

Also check your monitor calibration as settings can make quite a difference.

This is beginning to sound as if TS19 is too complex for UK type work if you need a PhD in lighting settings and adjusting monitors. Is there a way to load up a text file into TS19 that would have the default UK settings in it or does it all have to be done through a graphical user interface?

I assume there is a tutorial on setting up monitors somewhere?

Thanks John

John, my screenshots at #1996 of my very old De Glen compound with some of Steve Flanders coaches was taken in TS2019 on the freeware Cornwall and branches route. I didn't really have to do very much at all to the lighting to get the landscape to look like that. I didn't use any of the magic sliders and post processing was set to low. All adjustments were made with the three colour dials in the environment menu as well as a small adjustment of the fog slider. I'm using an ex-lease professional grade NEC monitor at 1280 X 1024 resolution and I've never touched any of its settings.

Last edited:
This is beginning to sound as if TS19 is too complex for UK type work if you need a PhD in lighting settings and adjusting monitors. Is there a way to load up a text file into TS19 that would have the default UK settings in it or does it all have to be done through a graphical user interface?

I assume there is a tutorial on setting up monitors somewhere?

Thanks John

I agree with John, especially about loading up pre prepared text files in order to achieve the lighting one desires.

"Also check your monitor calibration as settings can make quite a difference." - quote from Tony Hilliam, post #2010

I don't think I will be bothering to calibrate and adjust my monitor settings just for the sake of Trainz! A step too far I think!

Rob.

Last edited:
You really don't have to Rob. I'm using TS2019 to run a number of old TS2004 and TS2006 Uk routes that have always been favourites of mine and they just plain look so much better in TS2019 and they run better too. I haven't needed to do any strange and unusual adjustments to anything outside of using the normal environment controls.

I totally agree with Annie on this. I have never calibrated the monitor either on the iMac or the new PC. All adjustments are made with the 3 dials in Environment. I choose to keep the three colours the same and adjust them together pressing the shift key. I only did this once for 3 or 4 positions on the clock, and have never had to change it. You can tweak the hue as you fancy, but I would also suggest playing about adjusting the fog slider, as that can make a difference to the atmosphere you are trying to portray.
Best wishes
Ian

Post # 2008 - Oustanding shots as always Evilcrow! :) It's a nice treat to see a Pre-Grouping Shot of the ScR this time! :) I wish I could get my screenshots to look as good as you do! I still can't get the shadows to cast for some reason!

Post #2011 - Wow.. You have some serious talent Railfan! :) I love Jayholland's assets and I have to say that you made that 2009 LSWR Bridge look like a brand new asset! Is this route your working on in TS2019? If so, the list of reasons for purchasing it keeps getting longer and longer!! :)

tp6pUcg.jpg
[/IMG]
WHhg77h.jpg
[/IMG]
hztewKv.jpg
[/IMG]

1951 - London Road - LBSCR I3 Class 32075 passes over the viaduct on its suburban working out of Brighton. Thanks to Camscott for the amazing new Marsh Atlantic Tanks!! :)

Tanker46

Most interesting shots of late and also the debate on light settings.

I have never calibrated my monitor. I use 'Post - Processing' as well as the 'Environment' settings.

I wish one could save the 'Post - Processing' settings.

BTW thanks for the compliments Tanker 46 and Robd.

aKP Somewhere ScR

Cheers,evilcrow

Impressive evilcrow. We don't get to see the Highland Railway very often in this thread and you've given us a real treat.

Back