UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Hello Annie, A snapshot of a period a very long time in the past. "Leo" looks rather different to the US locos I saw of a similar vintage preserved at the Baltimore Museum eight years ago. So, what are the descriptions of the rolling stock it is hauling? The third one in the consist looks like it could be a horsebox.

Despite Gooch's design work on the 'Leo' class it's still possible to see the Stephenson influence in the way that they were put together. I think it was the difference in track laying standards that caused the divergence between British and American locomotives fairly early on with the American engines needing a greater level of flexibility in their frames.

As to the rolling stock in the train the first vehicle is a 'Luggage Box' circa 1840. The sloping sides of the 'box' lift up on hinges to allow access for unloading.
Next is what was known as a 'Posting Carriage' from the French term 'post-chaise'. Essentially it was an open saloon coach with luxurious padded seating around a pair of central tables. It was intended as luxury transport for a party of 1st class travellers. Riding on 4ft diameter wheels with the coach body set between the wheels it was the only Broad Gauge coach constructed in this way.
And next is the Horsebox. Some of the early horseboxes were shorter in length than they were wide, - that must've made for an uncomfortable ride for the poor horses, but this one has been rebuilt onto a longer chassis (I have two of the earlier short ones as well). They were built to carry four horses standing sideways across the horsebox and not lengthways as in later horseboxes.
Following the horsebox is a carriage truck complete with Brougham carriage as a load and bringing up the end of the train is an iron South Devon Railway guards van. The GWR and the railways associated with it experimented with the use of iron for rolling stock very early as compared with other railways. Some rolling stock such as closed 3rd class carriages made entirely of iron must've been pretty grim to travel in, with most of these finally ending up being rebuilt into goods vans of one sort or another.

The entire train that 'Sagittarius' is in charge of would be typical of what a fairly rich person of means might hire from the railway company to take a party of friends away for a trip into the countryside.

Last edited:
re posts #4597 Heinrich505, #4598 KotangaGirl and #4599 robd,
thank you all for the kind comments.
re post #4600 KotangaGirl
Annie it's magic the way you come up with a variety of ancient rolling stock in your screenies.
re post #4602 SRKing783
It's all still in TANE, here's a screenie, bear in mind "trial and error" comes very much into the mix.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

If you feel confident then, https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?120245-Shaders-tricks-and-tips

Cheers, Ken

Alright then! Thank you so very much, Ken! By the way, if I’m being honest, even with the UI covering it, the shot of the LSWR tank still looks quite nice. Impressive!

Cool Midland Railway colour light signal there Rod :hehe: Seriously though apart from that it's a nice screenshot.

Annie it's magic the way you come up with a variety of ancient rolling stock in your screenies.

Thanks Ken. All the early rolling stock is out there to be found, - it just takes a bit of hunting to find it.

Last edited:
Annie, regarding #4603, thanks for the info. Private charter was a part of railway business from early days. This ranged from a single coach or saloon attached to a train to a whole train with a varying number of vehicles attached. One example of the former being an invalid saloon and one example of the latter being horse boxes, hound vans and carriages for a hunting party. The N.E.R. had a number of carriages purpose built in the mid-1900s with lavatories and side corridors (but no gangway connections) for long distance "party business", such as moving a theatrical group between urban centres. I think that the largest example of private charter were the pre-WWI Bass Brewery charters with the Midland Railway out of Burton on Trent. The company would charter around a dozen trains on a summer's day to take employees and their famillies to the seaside. A different resort each year. I think that the article I read mentioned that the Bass Manager who organised it had done it since the 1880s.

re post #4612 PortLineParker

Here you go PLP,

username "NSW concrete pillar water tank", <kuid2:1854:1699:1>, author "victrainz"

Cheers, evilcrow

Really incredible Evilcrow. That last shot with the BR 4P Compound stole the show. It has got to be one of my favorite screenshots you've ever done! (Besides the U Class and Merchant Navy ones of course! :hehe:)

After a long effort on the Brighton Route I finally took my overdue vacation to the sunny shores of the Dearne coast! I almost forgot how much fun it is to run trains than it is to just build!

Cv1kFKD.jpg
[/IMG]

L6iVPev.jpg
[/IMG]

vjPJfkM.jpg
[/IMG]

7OB3bzY.jpg
[/IMG]

Vryrqde.jpg
[/IMG]

A7EiLkN.jpg
[/IMG]

IVhGNYi.jpg
[/IMG]

re post #4612 PortLineParker

Here you go PLP,

username "NSW concrete pillar water tank", <kuid2:1854:1699:1>, author "victrainz"

Cheers, evilcrow

Cheers evilcrow, it looks like it could find a home at Swanage, replacing the old 2004 era model I am currently using so I'll have a look tonight.

@Tanker, some great screenshots as ever - especially the Southern stock! I still scan your images for the ever hopeful glance of a 4MT... But that's another story!

Cheers,

PLP

I might mention that Dearnby & District is even now being enhanced, one way and another, with the intention of making it so real-lookin' that it actually does come to life, emerging in the real word by way of an appearance from the dawn mist somewhere in The Bristol Channel, possibly with a connection to the mainland somewhere around Ferryside in South Wales or even Bristol Temple Meads. I have come to believe that Neville put a spell in there, some time ago, which is even now having the effect of pushing virtual to real. After all, we humans have been doing this for some centuries now, eh? Some mad person imagines a thing and before you know it we have .... Noo Yok; or even Newcastle-on-Tyne!!

Anyroadup, you phantastic modulleurs of Olde British Railways may all have a chance to partake in the Dearnby Magic, as Neville needs a rest from all his Dearnby magicking, so Version 3 needs some sorcerer's apprentices to help with the spells. I'll be sending a plea to that TCCW group but perhaps there are others reading here who might be interested in constructing a corner in the extended Dearnby & District .....?

Lataxe, a familiar of Neville.

Hey! (That's not an angry hey just to head that off at the pass.) Uh so it's me, loustarjogger, and, uh, I kinda lost contact with Neville. So like I didn't even know what was happenin' with Dearnby & District and like I kinda just forgot about the project and all that but I'd love to come back and help in the same capacity I was before if that's okay? Get in touch! Have your brooms call my brooms.

Loustar, level 1 caster.

Cheers evilcrow, it looks like it could find a home at Swanage, replacing the old 2004 era model I am currently using so I'll have a look tonight.

@Tanker, some great screenshots as ever - especially the Southern stock! I still scan your images for the ever hopeful glance of a 4MT... But that's another story!

Cheers,

PLP

Thanks Parker! I really appreciate the compliment! :)

The 4MT is still in production! I asked Pilotwoo to help me with the PBR texturing and animation so it should be heading to TRS19 sooner rather than later! ;)

Dearnby definitely has helped me clear my head somewhat. My completionism got the better of me and I tried to tackle Gatwick and Horley a week ago (big mistake)! Luckily the step away is exactly what I needed to clear my head. Something is just so nice about running locos along the quayside - just feels so relaxing!

Excerpt from the book "Dearnby at Dawn - A Historic Account of Dearnby and Its Railways" by Edward Abbadon Starkey.

hNVdR5n.jpg
[/IMG]

To work for a Southern railway was to be preemptive. Always During the short months before the Great War, the three Southern companies began to start collaborating with one another to form a cooperative network for effective transport. It wasn't uncommon to see Mr. Walker board the train at Dearnby Central with Mr. Vincent Hill and come back on the evening 9:35 with the Earl of Bessborough!

In May of 1912 the three southern directors began running trials by swapping engines with each other. The goal being to find the engines best suited to handle passenger and goods traffice across the region. As it was so, many Kentish engines wound up far from their homes in the east and huddled amongst themselves at Cross Gate depot. I remember that most looked very fragile - like they would tip over if you blew on them a wee to hard.

al54Ntz.jpg
[/IMG]

The SECR G Class was not strictly a Stirling engine but in fact a Pickersgill bred steed of North British fame. The Kentish boys managed to procure a few surplus designs from their workshops in Glasgow for southeastern use.

The G was a very competent engine (for being an Kentish lightweight as it was) and handled express local an goods work well. It performed at pace with our C8s and ended up being a helpful locomotive in the war effort. The Hs and Cs also did well but were outclassed by the C8s already in service and the arrival of the new M7s the very next year.

No. 677 was the only G to ever visit Dearnby metals. In 1918, the SECR withdrew it's engines but allowed 677 to stay behind with us. Plans were made to paint her in Sage Green but the Grouping prevented it. She lived peacefully at Cross Gates handling local and suburban runs to Dearnby until her official withdrawal in 1929.

Such a sad end to such a fine engine...

uEkzXli.jpg
[/IMG]

m9ugj8Q.jpg
[/IMG]

5fNZb9t.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Ken .. you may still be in TANE . But your still the master of the screenshots . Tanker46 and the rest make this one fantastic thread to visit . To all , please keep um coming .

Matt

RE post #4611 tdstead
Many thanks for the compliment.Had to have a night shot as the compound was at the head of "KenGreens" sleepers
re posts #4614 & #4617 Tanker46
Thanks for the compliment, the compound is a goodly model and available from http://gplocomotives.com/fowler-compound-4p-4-4-0/
A good selection of screenies from you Tanker, mighty fine glint shot of 103, nice one.
re post #4618 Railwoodman.
Thanks Matt, I always have a look at your progress of the PRR. Excellent track work BTW.

Still in TANE

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, Ken

Love the story, Tanker. Very nostalgic, and the screenshots are perfect as well.

Regards,
Gary

Thanks so very much Gary!

I thought I would pick up where I left off since I last tinkered with Dearnby. The Starkey family has endless stories to tell - especially Edward who became an amature historian and novelist after his early retirement from the footplate in 1948.

As for our old boy Charlie, these days he's got his hands full raising two boys and running freight trains to Cardiff and back. His oldest - William - is about to embark on his own railway experience but not the way his father intended that's for sure! :hehe:

Back