Page 265 of 280 FirstFirst ... 165215255263264265266267275 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,975 of 4189

Thread: UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Iinnis, regarding post #3952 and carriages suitable for the post-WWII period on the GWR and early BR WR period. I am not an expert on "Swindon" but Steve Banks has a thread on his site about Banbury and there might be a few shots with hints.

Generally, modellers tend to overlook the fact that even at the close of WWII something like half of all rolling stock in use by the Big Four companies was of pre-grouping origin. Sure, 12-wheel clerestories were not in daily use but the youngest pre-grouping carriage was still only 24 years old at nationalisation. Therefore, if you can find them in the correct livery carriages from the latter half of the Churchward era (1902 - 1921) can be justified on secondary services. Collett carriages were built in the period 1922 - 41 and then Hawksworth took over. BR Mk1 carriages began appearing from 1951. I doubt that many Hawksworth carriages were around until 1947, given the contstraints on production, though a Swindon expert may need to chip in there.

So, the AEC diesel railcars were introduced from 1933 and built until 1942, therefore they are a Collett era product and they were still running in to the early 1960s. the 14XX 0-4-2T were also a Collett era product with their autocar, with the last going in 1961.

For named express trains, BR Mk1 stock in chocolate & cream is appropriate for the period 1956 - 62. Other expresses would be in the usual blood & custard "until" 1956 (There is always a period of transition - I have seen photos of ex-LNER teak stock in trains as late as 1959!). Maroon from no earlier than 1957.

I know that WWII exonomies compelled the LNER to paint pre-grouping stock in a flat brown paint, though looking at Steve Banks site it seems the GWR did the same, with some Colletts also in flat wartime brown during 1946.

Any glaring errors there on my part, GWR experts please weigh in.
    Last edited by borderreiver; May 12th, 2021 at 06:39 PM.

Hi Annie also not a big fan of diesals but have to love the cab of that little shunter has one of the best cabs I have seen.

Tom
    Acer Predator Helios 300 16gb ram, GTX1060 graphics on windows home 10
    TANE build 94916 TRS19 build 111951

Quote Originally Posted by lewisner View Post
    Great shots Annie ! I saw the "Big 600" Ark Royal in Barry scrapyard in summer 1979 and it was an epic machine. I wish I could have bought it for restoration.
    Actually Ark Royal was marked for preservation but it's engine was too far gone to warrant a rebuild. They attempted to get it preserved at the NRM on the grounds of it being the last mainline NBL built locomotive in exsistence but they cut it up before the NRM could secure it. A very sad day for enthusiasts indeed..
    Tanker46

Member of TCWW - Developer of the Brighton Project

As to the loss of the warship, those were strange days on both sides of the tracks (pun intended).

The preserved J21 only exists because an employee of Durham County Council (who later became the first director of Beamish North of England Open Air Museum) first paid BR for it with a cheque from the council and then managed to have it taken to the yard at the Consett Iron Company despite several abortive attempts by BR to haul it off for scrap from Darlington works. The first loco crew forgot to pick it up along with other locos and the second loco did not show up, allegedly due to a hangover! the council took their employee to task when they accountants found the cheque showing the county council were buying a locomotive! I can't remember if the cheque bounced or was honoured but a combination of shenanigans and footplate crew inefficiency meant that it survived. After some time in the wilderness following its use in preservation it is now being restored again at Kirkby Stephen.

Oh wow! That little J21 sure was quite a lucky engine! I never thought I would be happy to hear that railway incompetence was afoot!

A lot of engines had that happen to be honest. The Bluebell Railway attempted to preserve LSWR G6 No.30277 from Guildford and worked up the money, but BR carted it off for scrap before they arrived to pick it up. They were really petty about steam preservation based on the stories I've heard. It's no wonder why stories like Rev. W Awdry's books became so popular - it was a race for survival indeed!
    Tanker46

Member of TCWW - Developer of the Brighton Project

This week end the Severn Valley Railway are holing a Diesel Gala Event with three Class 50 operating along with a preserved Warship + Western D1015, Class 40 Atlantic Conveyor & Live webcam can be seen on Youtube by searching Severn Valley Railway. Times & loco duties are to be seen on the SVR website Also some nice classic coaching stock to be seen. Almost forgot a Class 14 & 17 working as well. The event started today.

LD&ECR {GC} Lincoln Central to Shirebrook North crossing Fledborough Viaduct 59 approach arches with girder spans across the River Trent. A derailed freight damaged the Viaduct & cased the line through route to close though part is now a Test Track following collery closures & High Marnham Power Station.
    Last edited by tailight98; May 13th, 2021 at 04:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker46 View Post
    Sorry Parker! I can't spoil the surprise! Although U wouldn't believe me even if I told you!
    I do apologise Tanker, I missed this post the first time round! U have piqued my curiosity, I look forward to it!

Cheers,

PLP
    Building the Swanage Railway for TRS19.

Welcome to the Uk Pre-BR Blue era screenshot forum clekev. Do you have any more screenshots you'd like to show us.

Steam engine testing on Dearnby & District. The very famous ex-LBSC Baltic tank engine is by Decapod. from TS2004 days and it runs very sweetly indeed. Before rebuilding the Baltic tanks into tender engines the Southern attempted to sell them to the GWR. I wonder how they would have looked in Brunswick green........

The Maunsell 'Ironside' coaches are by Paulz Trainz and were borrowed from my not very good Wadebridge layout. I have a strong olive green bias when it comes to the Southern Railway.

Narcolepsy is not napping.

Nice shots from Clekev and Annie!

I do like big tank engines!
    Member of TCWW and Trainz DE.

Currently brining the DHR into TRS19 one tree at a time!

United States of America, Texas, Dickinson

KotangaGirl,

Remembrance #333 looks really nice! Very cool screenshots.

Regards,
    Heinrich505

I do like big tank engines!
    Remembrance #333 looks really nice! Very cool screenshots.
    Thanks Heinrich and Graham. 'Remembrance' isn't on the DLS I got it from the Wayback Machine where some of Decapod's old TS2004 models had been saved. I needed to do some config file fixes first and then 'Remembrance' was good to go. I really like big tank engines too, but I'm not really sure what I'll with it.
    Last edited by KotangaGirl; May 14th, 2021 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Default 1921 - Prospect Hill Junction

Prospect Hill junction, Whitby, North Yorkshire.

Very nice Frank and somewhat unusual with having the junction in a fairly narrow cutting like that.

I asked Paul to dig about in his older models and do me three Western Region standard 3MT tank engines that I supplied the numbers for.

I've discovered Trainboi's lovely standard class 4 tender engines, but I have the feeling that they didn't work on the Western Region.

Last edited by KotangaGirl; May 14th, 2021 at 12:45 PM. Reason: formatting