UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

#3921. Love your screenshot pfx. The Trecoll Bay route, - that's not one I know, but it looks like I should.

#3922. Clever, - I see what you did there Ken.

Last edited:
LBSCR IN TRS19

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Excellent screenshots Ken! I'm glad to see you enjoying the C2x!

Another set of screenshots from Dearnby

4i8WHhG.jpg
[/IMG]

There is an old railway line just south of Frowhill Station that runs into the brambles and heads north. Although many passing drivers and firemen assume the line to be long abandoned, this is not actually the case.

The line was developed as a strategic cover route in the event of a artillery bombing from the German Air Raids during WW1 and ran all the way to Aylesbury on the GCR mainline. After the war, the War Department and Royal Engineer Corps used the line occasionally to transport trains of military equipment or personnel to and from the Casterford Air Base. However in 1936, a certain railway acquired running rights to operate trains to and from London during peak market seasons.

It's no secret that the LNER had little to no presence in Dearnby during most of its history. Situated on the opposite side of the country, the famous northeastern railway was cut off from a central route that didn't require them to make agreements for running rights with the LMS or SR. However, upon discovering the former WD route, plans were quickly made to accommodate market and begin running goods trains to Dearnby Central. The eventual arrangement with Dearnby Central was a single goods service to Woodford Halse comprised of market goods and other commodities. The trains ran twice a month and were usually headed by a B1, O4 or V2 but on rare occasions would be headed by a Robinson B4, Holden B12 or in one extreme case, a B17 that had wandered all the way down from Dairycoates!

Ex-GWR Driver Charlie Starkey recalled the line in his memoirs about a particular event in 1937...

I never gave any thought to the old line down south of Frowhill. It looked so much like a dirty siding that I thought whatever purpose it had was served long ago. However that day in 1937 I was assigned to work the rail gang near the junction. Nothing special, just an old Metro Tank and some shoddy equipment. We were just about done when a booming steam whistle came out as a huge van train rocketed around the bend! It was one of those 2-6-2s but I can't remember the name "Snap- something or other."

7qD25Br.jpg
[/IMG]

No.60809 was one of two V2s that visited Dearnby and the only one to call its sheds home. The market trains were loaded with old antiquated vans as to not waste sending newer equipment further south. Here The Snapper rounds the bend at Frowhill Junction with a train of old LNER wagons being led by a trio of 6T Ex-Hull and Barnsley Vans.

7JthRuP.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
#3921. Love your screenshot pfx. The Trecoll Bay route, - that's not one I know, but it looks like I should.

Thanks. It's Trecoll Bay GWR, a short route by eso but I don't think it's available online. I'm currently tinkering with it and another of his routes and if I can contact eso, will try to upload it if it gets finished.

Cheers,
Innis

1921 - Batts Iron Foundry

The morning delivery for Batts Iron Foundry between Ruswarp and Whitby by an E Class 0-6-0T on the Grosmont - Whitby trip.

There is a trailing crossover close by Gasworks siding box, which was technically a covered ground frame but no run around facilities, so a Whitby bound train can deliver and collect from the Foundry while a Grosmont bound train can deliver and collect from the gasworks sidings. The wagons need to be carefully marshalled, with foundry traffic at the head of the Whitby bound train and wagons for the gasworks at the rear of the train. A further requirement is that when coal wagons and open wagons/bolster wagons are bound for the foundry then the coal wagon(s) are to be marshalled behind the open wagons. The remainder of the trip consist is left on the running line, making it an inconvenient operation for the traffic department!

Larpool viaduct is in the background, with the steep climb from Bog Hall Junction to Prospect Hill Junction visible beneath it.

Thanks. It's Trecoll Bay GWR, a short route by eso but I don't think it's available online. I'm currently tinkering with it and another of his routes and if I can contact eso, will try to upload it if it gets finished.

Cheers,
Innis

Thanks Innis. If you are able to upload Trecoll Bay GWR I certainly would be interested.

#3928. That's a fine screenshot of Batts Iron Foundry Frank. I like the play of light and shadow.

#3926. Another mysterious junction at Dearnby Tanker. Those ex-H&B vans have caught my interest, - who made those? - because I don't think I've seen them before.

After a lot of messing around I managed to get Peter Flindley's latest updated version of GCR V15 installed into TRS19 SP3 Platinum (no Plus+, no subscriptions). He's done a good deal of work with more of the bare WIP landscape now in a completed state and it's all looking very nice.

A collection of snaps I took in the Aylesbury session. In this session there are some issues with it being set up for trackmarks with different file names to the ones in the updated route, but it's not too difficult to edit the driver commands as is needed. Environment lighting adjusted on the fly using the Unified Surveyor tools like I usually do.

hbIhJn2.jpg

qKnK4rD.jpg

d1Y4o4l.jpg

JFPb9YQ.jpg

Z80qdbm.jpg

Thanks Annie, I have been fiddling with the environment settings. The Aylesbury session on the GCR looks to be a busy one. Good shots Ken and Tanker.

BR Western Region class D42 No.D288 'Centaur' at Badgercombe on the Dearnby & Branches route.

What are you looking at me like that for? It was built at Swindon and it's painted green.

avSdXlI.jpg

QTm5GB8.jpg

WbuWfSG.jpg

Last edited:
Annie,

Lovely screenshots but I'm shocked. I don't think I've ever seen you drive a diesel, sorry, Dismal, before! Are you being converted?

Great screenshot nonetheless.

Cheers,

PLP

Annie,

Lovely screenshots but I'm shocked. I don't think I've ever seen you drive a diesel, sorry, Dismal, before! Are you being converted?

Great screenshot nonetheless.

Cheers,

PLP

Yes it's certainly a rare sight me driving a diesel. There is a very very small group of Uk diesels I can marginally stand the sight of and the Western Region diesel hydraulics are among their number. They have to at least be green though, - none of that yellow nosed nonsense, and as for being painted blue I don't descend to such a horror as that.

Looks right at home on the Dearnby route.

p34F1DH.jpg

re posts#3924 KotangaGirl, #3925 Heinrich505, #3924 Tanker46 and #3930 borderreiver,
thank you for the compliments and all your latest screenshots, really goodly.
As for Annie going over to the Dark Side it's a broad church this hobby:hehe:

After a brief foray in TRS19 and finding it riddled with things that annoy, its back to TANE.
The excellent 'East Cornwall' route by Marky7890;

Cheers Ken

What a really excellent screenshot, Ken! Composed perfectly, with the haze in the background allowing the engine to be highlighted. Perfect! :cool:
Hopefully your photographer had something to hold on to after the shot. There doesn't seem to be any railings in that area and I'll bet the bridge was shaking wildly with that thundering horse rushing towards him.

And, I might have to check out that route. That bridge is really something.

Gary

KotangaGirl,

RE: Posts 3931 and 3933

Yikes! A Centaur? :eek: It looks perfectly at home on the Dearnby and Branches, and it is a lovely shade of green. But, a diesel? It knocked me right off my chair, but the screenshots are great.

Hopefully you won't linger too long in the "dark side," overtaken by the lure of diesel fumes and no more coal dust...:hehe:

Heinrich505

A NER P Class 0-6-0 of Whitby shed heads towards Ruswarp, Sleights and Grosmont bound for Malton and York with an unfitted goods working. At the head of the train are three loaded coal wagons to deliver to Whitby GasWorks.

The interesting shots of a Warship in the Dearnby vicinity remind me that a Warship being rescued by a Western Region tank is included as an AI train in the 'Trainspotter Session' for Dearnby and District v2.0. I included the Warship as the model is only just about ok but proclaims a certain locality and time like few others. I never noticed the jammed wheels, but maybe that's why it was being rescued....
Incidentally Tanker, that mysterious bend near Frowhill leads to a major feature in the next expansion of Dearnby - one that I'm sure will stimulate your storytelling skills.
Some really evocative screenshots on this thread, as always.

BR Western Region class D42 No.D288 'Centaur' at Badgercombe on the Dearnby & Branches route.

What are you looking at me like that for? It was built at Swindon and it's painted green.

avSdXlI.jpg

Running a Class 42? A Diesel?! Are you sure you're okay Annie? I never thought I'd see you at the controls of one of those "Toothpaste Tubes". :hehe:

Since you are in a Diesel mood I might as well share these from my Dearnby 50's setup!

Even into the 1950s Dearnby was one of the last places on the ex-LSWR map to dieselize. They held steadfastly to steam and the final steam locomotive left Dearnby in 1967 to a chorus of cheers from the townsfolk.

That being said, Dearnby did take up a few diesels during the BR Era. The original "Warship" diesels of North British decent were bussed into service by the Western Region in 1957. They were initially designed to replace the Kings and Castles on the heavy express routes but were unable to outperform them on the required routes. Although they were considered a failure by BR they actually were very competent diesel hydraulic units and were suited to secondary express work.

jrcFeBM.jpg
[/IMG]

uzDYRI7.jpg
[/IMG]

irsRZnq.jpg
[/IMG]

Class 41 No. D601 Ark Royal became a regular on the Sea Maiden Service to Cheltenham in 1961. The 41 was assigned to Dearnby on trial but was found to be unsuitable for the Cheltenham Spa Express. Dearnby's habit of acquiring unique antiquated rolling stock prevailed and made the order to acquire two of the four NBL locos for regular service following the end of steam on the Western Region in 1965. Both D601 Ark Royal and D604 Cossack were allocated to Dearnby in the summer of 1961 and began services between Oxford and Liverpool respectively.

KA9jnJj.jpg
[/IMG]

ICat5F6.jpg
[/IMG]

AkZgb5l.jpg
[/IMG]

Another unique diesel locomotive Dearnby operates is the Maunsell D3/12 Class shunters. The 850hp Shunters were designed by Richard Maunsell to operate the yards at Hither Green station. One was loaned to the Dearnby Ironworks after their regular engine was brought in for servicing. After the locomotive was repaired, Dearnby acquired No.15201 after a request for a Class 07 Dock Shunter was denied. The diesel shunter proved to be extremely effective and is now at home with the other Dockyard Shunters

Last edited:
Some very good screenshots there Tanker. That Maunsell D3/12 Class shunter is a bit unusual and makes a nice change from the usual boring class 08.

I'm not a fan of all diesels, - it's only really the Swindon built 'Warships' and the early English Electrics that figure on my radar. The D42 'Warships' got a raw deal from BR in my book since their technical people were biased against diesel hydraulics, - but then when have BR ever made sensible decisions about their motive power choices. The Class 41's in particular are a perfect example of a locomotive design ruined by BR interference.

'Daring' and 'Vengeance' at St Bennet's MPD. My main interest at the moment is seeing what improvements can be made to the 'Warships'. After some experiments by TCCW members I'm trying out properly animated German V200 bogies which are far closer to the prototype than the original non-animated bogies.
There has been some discussion about commissioning a new WR diesel hydraulic locomotive to replace this now very old model, but it's all early days yet.

emP4zS8.jpg

'Centaur', - now with the correct number, - under test. I only ever previously downloaded the early versions of 'Dearnby & District' when I first got TANE over two year ago now and then I got all distracted with my Norfolk layout and didn't have a look at any of the later developments. Needless to say I'm managing to get myself completely lost at times on the now much expanded layout. I suppose though getting lost on 'Dearnby' wouldn't be such a bad thing so long as you had a big thermos of tea and plenty of cheese and pickle sandwiches in your rucksack.
If anyone wants to know how to build a decent Western Region layout 'Dearnby' would be the perfect example for anyone to learn from..

91pkfyf.jpg

What's that strange man doing looking at 'Centaur'. Attempting to run around a train at Deane-on-Sea was a bit interesting, but now I've done it I shouldn't have any problems next time. I wonder if there's a buffet car in proper WR livery I can add into this five coach set?

s2fKA5p.jpg

Last edited:
Back