UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Not an easy choice to make Frank. I run fish trains on my own layout and I know not a thing about refrigerated traffic so my own bias would be towards a fish van, but that's just me and the way I run my trainset.

Shunting at Great Mulling. The green and white 6 wheel luggage van is a Highland Railway van disguised as a West Norfolk Railway van.

xYnFjhX.jpg

1920: Ferryhill Shed Goods Turn 2

A nice country terminus shot there Annie. Here, a representation of Ferryhill Shed Goods Turn number 2. Starting at Ferryhill at 6:40 a.m. the loco would take a Class D goods train north along the ECML to Birtley, arriving at 9:08 a.m. At 9:43 a.m. the engine and brake van would head south to Chester South Moor, which was the location of a collery, arriving there at 9:55 a.m. Presumably the engine and van would collect a rake of loaded coal hoppers, though the goods working booklet for 1915 described the duty as Class C goods rather than Mineral. Perhaps it was coke, a manufactured product, rather than coal, a mined mineral. Like many others in County Durham, the colliery had a rake of the older beehive style coke ovens on site. Departure from Chester South Moor was 10:25 a.m. with arrival back at Ferryhill for 11:54 a.m.

There was a variation though. On some days the timetable allowed for the engine and van departing Birtley to return to Ferryhill via Stella Gill and Washington. This would permit the engine to collect a rake of loaded coal hoppers from Stella Gill and take them to Ferryhill, with the engine running round the train to accomplish a reversal at Washington.

Above, the engine, a P3 Class 0-6-0 and van come off the slow lines and take to the Consett branch at Ouston Junction, bound for Stella Gill rather than Chester South Moor. On the days the engine was required at Chester Moor it would have moved from the slow lines to the ECML at Ouston.

Last edited:
Thanks for your nice comment Frank. Country railways seem to be my thing.

#2445. That's a really great screenshot. The buildup of grime and dirt on the ballast and sleepers is very convincing. I know a little Norfolk tramway that would love to have a brake van like that one.

Late afternoon at Moxbury on my Norfolk layout.
Moxbury faces towards the west (east side of the station shown in the screenshot) so a fair bit of traffic comes through from other lines. The LNWR van and the West Norfolk van would have been shunted off incoming trains so once the three teak luggage vans have been loaded 'Sharpie' No.12 will take them through to Great Mulling some 40 miles away as a drunk crow flies.

udWVF8O.jpg

Last edited:
1920: Ferryhill P2 Hauling Class D Goods down past Hett

Circa 1920 and Ferryhill's P2 Class 0-6-0 on the 6:55 a.m. Ferryhill Goods Turn Number 2 passes Hett crossing on the down ECML in County Durham. The first three vehicles behind the tender are 15 Ton Road Wagons (Nos 14, 48 and 128) which are (ultimately) bound for Tyneside. Number 14 is the Darlington Hope Town to Gateshead Park Lane wagon, number 48 is the Ferryhill to Newcastle Forth wagon and number 128 is the Ferryhill to Gateshead Park Lane wagon. Each will serve "all stations between Ferryhill and Birtley excluding Croxdale" which appears to imply that Durham main line station will be served, despite there being two goods stations elsewhere in Durham, at Gilesgate and Elvet stations. According to the 1904 Railway Clearing House Handbook of Railway Stations, Durham Gilesgate and Durham Elvet were the goods stations, so perhaps the official lack of goods facilities meant that it was taken for granted that no stop was made at Durham by the road wagons.

Plawsworth, Chester le Street and Birtley stations each had goods facilities. Plawsworth according to the RCH was a goods and passenger station with a 1 ton crane. Chester-le-Street was a goods and passenger station with a 5 ton crane, could handle furniture vans and carriages, "portable engines" and "machines on wheels" as well as livestock, Horse boxes, Prize Cattle Vans and carriages by passenger train. Birtley had the same facilties as Chester le Street, as well as having sub-listings for six collieries, four brick and tile works, four manure depots, two sawmills, a grain warehouse, "depots" (coal and lime?) at Durham Turnpike, Ouston Road and Pelaw Grange with "sidings" at Black Fell, Black House and White Hill Bank head and a handling engine at Eighton Banks.

The shot is processed as an early colour type of photograph as emplyed from around 1904 using a technique of the Lumiere brothers.

The Ferryhill goods turn would not call at Plawsworth or Chester-le-Street. It was scheduled to drop the road wagons at Kimblesworth Colliery Junction exchange sidings and then to proceed to Birtley. I have not yet identified which engine turn took the road wagons on from Kimblesworth to Birtley, calling at Plawsworth and Chester-le-Street en-route. Complexity was added by the Road Wagon schedule taking the road wagons on from Birtley to Annfield Plain on the Consett branch (though officially serving no station on the branch in the road wagon timetable) and then working from Annfield Plain to Park Lane at 2:05 p.m. (though again, officially serving no station on the branch)!Road Wagon 14 was noted as being placed inside the warehouse at Park Lane for loading back for Darlington Hope Town and wagon number 48 was trip worked from Park Lane to Newcastle Forth.
!

Last edited:
Digging in my archives I found this old screenshot from one of my TS2009 layouts. I had a lot of fun with TS2009 before finally taking the step to TS2012.

RsKuxPE.jpg

Sidings near Bagworth

This is from my still work in progress NW Leicestershire route. Probably around 75% complete after eight years and three versions of Trainz! :eek:

NW-Leics-TS2019-Sidings-Steam.jpg

Nostalgia trip. While sorting out all my Trainz stuff and loading it into my new Win 10 computer I re-discovered a backup copy of TS2009 I made two years ago. The screenshots I took today are from my old slightly era confused Uk layout which it seems I last worked on exactly two years ago.
Very much a NER/LNER influence with the time period being circa the early grouping period. The theme being an imaginary minor railway that had been mostly operated by the NER. The whole thing was built on a huge TS2009 layout called 'A Moment in Time', but I only used one corner of it to create my own version. Now that I've found it again I think I'll give it a little tidy up and it will give me an excuse to blow the digital dust off all my old NER/LNER Paulz Trainz models that I've had archived away.

RxqZt0f.jpg

UV6Gq0B.jpg

1UQ3xCD.jpg

Last edited:
A bird's eye view of ouston and South Pelaw Junctions.

Nothing like a bit of sorting out to turn up nostalgic shots Annie.

On a late afternoon flying stint from a local aerodrome around 1920 the camera is out above Ouston and Pelaw Junctions. A southbound O Class hauls arc roof stock on a local passenger train from newcastle bound for Durham while a down ECJS Express passenger train is in the hands of one of Raven's Z Class Atlantics. A trainload of empty hoppers is heading up the chord for South pelaw, bound for Stella Gill, making the motive power likely to be one of Percy Main shed's P3 0-6-0s. An ore train out of Tyne Dock is also approaching South Pelaw Junction, bound for Consett.

Looks like King Coal there in NW Leicestershire pogbelles.
Some early morning work for a Q7, bringing iron ore empties past Durham Turnpike and the junction with the Beamish wagonway. This is a very old bit of line, being part of the original Stanhope & Tyne line dating back to the 1830s. For a short while there was even a primitive passenger service for several years passing here from South Pelaw. By the time of this mid-1940s shot it has been a hundred years since there was a passenger service on this section between South pelaw and Washington. The bridge at this location crosses "the Great North Road" and remains in place to this day.

#2458. You should definitely keep going with your NW Leicestershire project pogbellies. As most forum members here know I'm no fan of the diesel era, but your route is looking good and the scenic work is nicely done.

#2459. Looks a bit chilly there in your early morning screenshot Frank.

More vintage screenshots. Having a lot of fun with my old layout. TS2009 3.1 was where I cut my teeth with Trainz and I had a lot of fun with it. 'Upgrading' (patching) to the final version of TS2009 broke lots of things (Where have we heard that before?) and I hated the changes to Surveyor. So you can understand why I was so pleased when I found this old 3.1 backup copy I'd forgotten about. Runs as smooth as silk and I'm getting frame rates of between 85-100 on what is a route that's well populated with assets.

The coal run from the wharf to the gasworks was very much a set piece working on this layout so it was nice to revisit it again. I took more snaps than these, but I didn't want to bore you all to tears.

MhBJwUt.jpg

vtsKJlK.jpg

lvcgfjw.jpg

The reason for the runner wagons between the two J73's. The weight restriction on this old wooden bridge over the river was something that I built in fairly early on when it came to running trains on this old TS2009 layout of mine.

T91TVNS.jpg

#2458. You should definitely keep going with your NW Leicestershire project pogbellies. As most forum members here know I'm no fan of the diesel era, but your route is looking good and the scenic work is nicely done.

Many thanks for the kind words. Interesting to look at the older versions in your images, the colours seem very vivid. I'll pop a steam consist on the NWL for a change, being of the mid sixties I only really remember the diesels, pity really as it would have been more interesting with the variety of locomotives. My maternal Grandad used to drive steam on some of the routes, as with many things I wish I could chat with him now.

Back