UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Thanks Ken! I really get frustrated with TRS19 but as more locomotives and rolling stock get made for it I find myself slowly gravitating towards it. My heart will always belong to TANE though.

To answer your question about the K Class, I didn't comission the LBSCR version because the original Ks had a fundamentally different design that was changed in 1929 to accommodate the standardized requirements for the Southern Railway. The original design had taller funnels and cabs, rounder domes and smaller smokeboxes and boilers. It's kind of like the situation with the I1 and I3 tanks

I have planned to comission them from Camscott in the future but due to funds I haven't been able to get around to it yet. There are a few SR Maunsell Designs that require my attention first.

There will be a Maunsell Olive version on the way though! I'm currently working on getting the remaining SR liveries for the LBSCR locos commissioned at the moment.

Last edited:
Hello Tanker

The tank engine is an 0-6-0T 290 Class, later LNER Class J77.

No. 958 in the screenshot was built in August 1874, rebuilt to 0-6-0T 290 Class in August 1903. A Blaydon shed loco until 1928 it moved to North Blyth and was withdrawn from there in September 1944.

Sixty 290 Class (J77) were rebuilt from old Fletcher BTP (Bogie Tank Passenger) 0-4-4T locos dating back to the mid/late 1870s/early 1880s. Wilson Worsdell's introduction of his O Class 0-4-4T (LNER Class G5) rendered many of them redundant on passenger trains. Worsdell rebuilt fifty of the BTPS to 0-6-0T between 1899 and 1908, though the numbers turned out varied from year to year. Six were rebuilt in the second half of 1899 with three turned out in 1908.

The BTPs had numerous detail differences but the main one which carried over to the 290 Class rebuilds were the cabs. There are several different styles, including a Worsdell type one in the style of an O Class (G5) and I had Paul Mace build me several of them. They were simple but rugged tank engines, with several finding a home at the coal staithes at the port of Blyth in Northumberland. Nos. 37 & 1347 had Westinghouse brake at the grouping but only so they could work empty stock (to the best of my knowledge they were never seen hauling passenger services, even on one of the region's rural branch lines). Nos. 15 (Stockton shed) and 324 (Darlington shed) received vacuum ejector in 1945 with ten more gaining it between 1947 and 1950 in order to work empty passenger stock.

Withdrawals as Class J77 started as early as 1933 but British Railways took over forty-six at nationalisation. While several were withdrawn during 1948 the class did not become extinct until February 1961 when No. 68408 (formerly 1438/8408) was withdrawn from South Blyth shed. Built in November 1875 and rebuilt in June 1904 the Railway could not have grumbled about getting 85 years of work out of her.

Several J77s were sold out of service. At least one, still numbered as 8416 in 1952 went to the NCB (National Coal Board) and kept the number. She worked for the Open Cast Executive (lettered NCB-OE) in Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire and South Wales until 1960 or 1961. two others, Nos. 8396 and 8416 went to the Ministry of Fuel and Power in 1950. 8416, lettered MOFP - BROOMHILL worked at Broomhill Colliery until 1951 when it went for repair at Bagnalls. I do not know where it went on to after that.

Regards
Frank

Thank you for the vast information on these little powerhouses Frank. I see them a lot in your screenshots and I can tell you are quite fond of them like I am with the LSWR G6 tanks!

They share a lot of parallels with the G6 as well. The last one went in 1962 and most had an average of 64 years of service before withdrawal. They were extremely popular with their crews and rarely left the LSWR network because of their dependability. The only exception was in WW2 when they helped sort the Reading Goods Yards out due to the high congestion of supply and munition trains.

30277 was almost saved but they couldn't get the funds together in time to do so. At least it lives on in my Fellhall and Moorhurst Heritage Railway!

By any chance you wouldn't happen to have any blueprints for the J77 would you? I know a buddy who loves modeling quirky tank engines that ended up with the NCB and this one would be right up his alley.

hello Tanker, all I have in terms of drawings are:

1. The elevation one from the NERA publication on North Eastern Locomotives - Fletcher, McDonnel and Worsdell engines
2. A page with elevation and end views with dimensions included from the NERA publication on LNER Engine Diagrams - LNER and NER Locos Part 2.

I have Yeadons for the 290 Class/J77 and the appropriate RCTS Volume on LNER 0-6-0Ts as well as the Ken Hoole book "An Illustrated History of NER Locomotives". There are plenty of photgraphs and information to be had from there. the Ken Hoole book in particular has two very good side elevation photographs at works with a third one which is more like a front oblique view taken at York works.

Fantastic! Is there any way you could email those to me? I can get a hold of my buddy tonight and he could probably start tackling it in the morning!

I can send you my email through PM if you like.

Re post #3423 Tanker46.
Thanks for the info on the LBSCR K.
I note that even within the class in LBSCR days differences did occur as can be seen here http://lbscr.org/Rolling-Stock/Locomotives/L.B.Billinton/K.xhtml
Anyway thanks in advance for your proposed commissions , look forward to that. Many thanks.

As for TRS19, having set the the Post-Processing-Settings switching to any camera mode freezes the screen, so I must get bug report done sometime.

LBSCR WIP TANE

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, Ken

Evilcrow,
Thanks for posting those lovely shots. They are freezing for sure. I saw my breath condensing while viewing them. Then again, it is freezing cold here in SE Texas right now, so maybe it isn't just the pictures. :eek:

The details are so crisply rendered on the top shot from Post #3428. Very nicely done!

Heinrich505

Re post #3423 Tanker46.
Thanks for the info on the LBSCR K.
I note that even within the class in LBSCR days differences did occur as can be seen here http://lbscr.org/Rolling-Stock/Locomotives/L.B.Billinton/K.xhtml
Anyway thanks in advance for your proposed commissions , look forward to that. Many thanks.

As for TRS19, having set the the Post-Processing-Settings switching to any camera mode freezes the screen, so I must get bug report done sometime.

LBSCR WIP TANE

Cheers, Ken

Oh! So that's what it is! Everytime I place or delete a piece of rolling stock in TRS19. The whole thing freezes up and won't unfreeze for at least 5 minutes. I thought it was due to me using several of Camscott's high texture models at once but a bug is far more likely.

Where can I send a report to? I would very much like to help on this matter.

Hello Tanker46,

Try here for Bug reports https://support.trainzportal.com/index.php?/Trainz

Sorry to hear of your problem, I have yet to try any of Camscott's Loks in TRS2019, until my Post Processing Settings problem regarding the freeze when using the HSV adjustments is solved, I will continue in TANE.
I have sent a bug report using the address shown above.

Cheers, Ken

#3428. Two more stunning screenshots evilcrow. Your Winter screenshot really are lovely.

I'm taking a Trainz break and I'm blowing the dust off a favourite old RPG/Adventure video game and going off to save the world from a hideous demon lord. I'm not sure when I'll be back as I'm a bit fed up with Trainz at the moment.

Have Fun! We look forward to your return! Do you remember the name of this fantastic game by any chance? :hehe:

Bethesda's Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion from 2007. As of last night my longtime player character has just saved the world for the fifth time. She's presently hiding away from everyone who wants to know how she did it in a tent in the rural countryside and teaching herself to be an competent Alchemist.

Oblivion has landscape building tools as well (Construction Set), but the tools are a lot more clunky to use compared to Trainz, but the scenery, trees & etc look better than Trainz from the same time period.

re post #3432 KotangaGirl

Thanks for the compliment Annie, a couple of shot to keep you going until you return.

'Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis' was the game for me many moons ago.

Cheers, evilcrow

Oh! I'm an absolute fan of the Elder Scrolls series! I played the hell out of Oblivion ( pun entirety intended) and have played through Skyrim more times than I can remember since it's release in 2011. Last I checked my Imperial Battlemage was looking for a massive soul gem to finally rid Cyrodill of the King of Worms.

I'm currently waiting for the release of EDS VI Valenwood as it's supposed to come out this year. I can't wait to see what they come up with for the Province of the Bosmer!

Oh! I'm an absolute fan of the Elder Scrolls series! I played the hell out of Oblivion ( pun entirety intended) and have played through Skyrim more times than I can remember since it's release in 2011. Last I checked my Imperial Battlemage was looking for a massive soul gem to finally rid Cyrodill of the King of Worms.

I'm currently waiting for the release of EDS VI Valenwood as it's supposed to come out this year. I can't wait to see what they come up with for the Province of the Bosmer!

Strange as it might seem Tanker I own a copy of Skyrim, but have never played it. I have watched my daughter play through Skyrim more than a few times though. Developing narcolepsy put paid to me learning to play Skyrim. My long time custom made character in Oblivion has been specially tailored to suit my slowed down brain which is my biggest barrier to playing most modern games. Like you I have 'played the hell' out of Oblivion, but despite the streets of of some of the towns in Cyrodiil being more familiar to me than the town where I live I never get tired of playing Oblivion. I used to make texture mods for Oblivion before I took up with Trainz so my reskinning skills owe a lot to Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

Edit: I'm sure my daughter will be interested in getting a copy of EDS VI Valenwood when it comes out.

Last edited:
I understand. The great thing about Skyrim is that the user interface is a LOT easier to use than Oblivions is. They simplified the leveling and crafting systems and made it much easier to save progress than before. The game engine was fine tuned to make it easier for players to understand and work with. Having played both games I highly recommend you check it out if you ever find the time. You'll be surprised how good the game is! :)

I wish I had time to play like I did before but between work and family life it seems that Trainz is the only hobby I can dedicate myself towards. I don't mind though as there's plenty to work on to keep myself busy!

A new project I am working on. This is the first of its kind from me. After seeing the awesome screenshots Borderreiver does of the NER, I decided to make a TMR Route featuring the area of North Blythe. I haven't gotten very far with it yet but thanks to Euromodeller's fantastic barebones TMR routes I at least have a place to start!

4L9xjXu.jpg
[/IMG]

Yj6hojX.jpg
[/IMG]

jsC9rka.jpg
[/IMG]

lysKWdb.jpg
[/IMG]

FEWxgO7.jpg
[/IMG]

Shildon Yard 1950

Shildon Yard was a large coal handling facility in NE England astride the original 1825 Stockton & Darlington line.

A train of empty steel coal hoppers arrives at the eastern end of the yard, with the down loops and spurs on the south side of the line.

Loaded coal wagons arrived from the west, with collieries in the area operating through to the late 1950s/early 1960s. By 1950 there were somewhat fewer collieries operating than there were at the peak of traffic in 1913.
Once marshalled in to long trainloads most would depart from the eastern end of the yard and travel via the formerly DC Overhead electrified Simpasture branch via Redmarshall to Newport yard by the River Tees.

Last edited:
Amazing shot and history, borderreiver, sad to think that all that industry is now long gone.

LBSCR WIP TANE,

(SECR visitors)

Cheers, evilcrow

1946 - Shunting Coal at Blackhill

Hello Tanker and Evilcrow, thanks for your kind words and great screenshots.
Circa 1946, a J72 0-6-0T is shunting coal hoppers at Blackhill.

The hoppers are heavily weathered. Examples are 20 Ton diagram 100 steel hoppers, a 15 Ton diagram P6 wooden hopper and a 20 Ton diagram P7 wooden hopper. The diagram 100s have detailed differences since one was built by Metro-Cammell while the other was built by Hurst-Nielson.

1949 - Q5 0-8-0 Hauling Coal at Shildon

Former LNER Q5 Class 0-8-0 No. E3260 of Middlesborough shed is hauling a loaded coal train out of Shildon Yard in County Durham one morning during 1949. She will reach Newport Yard on the River Tees via the formerly DC overhead electrified Simpasture branch.

E3260 was a Worsdell veteran, built as T1 Class 0-8-0 No. 130 in March 1902. The T1 designation meant that she was turned out with slide valves rather than piston valves. The class has been under threat since December 1946. when the first was withdrawn. Austerity 2-8-0s were arriving in large numbers, rendering the Q5s redundant. E3260 would be condemned in October 1950.

Back