UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Annie if you search for Bulleid "double deck train" you will find information about them. The film clip of the mockup gives you a good idea of how it worked. They were a failure because they took so long to load and unload so the Southern Region went along the path of lengthening the trains and platforms instead. Another example of his lateral thinking. If only our loading gauge was like other countries' we could have proper double deck trains but that is the penalty of being first.

Hey Tanker. Yes, the 4 Veps(BR Class 423) and the 4 Ceps(BR Class 411) There were some EPBs regeared for peak time running that could be coupled up and to give more seats but, with no loo, I doubt that would have been comfortable from London to the Kent coast! The DD's were a good idea but as John says a failure. They run few services in the but had a working life from 1949 to 1971, not bad for an experiment!

The idea was good, the design flawed. It a nice to see stuff you remember travelling on and seeing as a kid. My father was a train driver and remember riding in the cabs of EPBs and it's nice because I get that feeling when I drive. I'd look forward to your route Tanker.

So that's what they are. I looked at Tanker's screenshot and I thought, 'Wow, they're unusual.' Thanks for the explanation Chris.

Annie your welcome. It's just something that was odd but very British. I'm not sure if you knew this Annie but Bulleid was a New Zealander. He had unique idea in things:)

Carrach Island on my MAC Line route (WIP)

This is now my PC desktop background pic :)

Carrach-Island.jpg

Nice work on Carrach Island Graham! It's an excellent choice for your desktop wallpaper - the lighthouse and dock pier are looking really nice from the overhead view!

WARNING! LARGE IMAGE POST INCOMING!

Camscott asked me to field test some new wagons for his LBSCR Wagon Pack. I'm posting these shots here after fiddling around with them in TRS19! Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

TY4xgMj.jpg
[/IMG]

RloxgSI.jpg
[/IMG]

l4AN7iw.jpg
[/IMG]

ssQSuDN.jpg
[/IMG]

nCPChpz.jpg
[/IMG]

6fByTkC.jpg
[/IMG]

BhQAWxL.jpg
[/IMG]

R4Mg17Z.jpg
[/IMG]

3ehfsPU.jpg
[/IMG]

Annie your welcome. It's just something that was odd but very British. I'm not sure if you knew this Annie but Bulleid was a New Zealander. He had unique idea in things:)

No I did not know that Chris. Come to the Trainz forum and learn something new every day.
The double deck coaches are certainly unusual and I can understand how loading and unloading times at stations would have been increased.

Annie if you search for Bulleid "double deck train" you will find information about them. The film clip of the mockup gives you a good idea of how it worked. They were a failure because they took so long to load and unload so the Southern Region went along the path of lengthening the trains and platforms instead. Another example of his lateral thinking. If only our loading gauge was like other countries' we could have proper double deck trains but that is the penalty of being first.

Thanks very much for this information about the double deck coaches Teddytoot.

Re. #2686 I am very much impressed by your screenshot of Carrach Island Graham.

Camscott asked me to field test some new wagons for his LBSCR Wagon Pack. I'm posting these shots here after fiddling around with them in TRS19! Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

Now those LSBC wagons are very nice Tanker. I'm no big expert on the LBSC, but looking at them they seem to have all the right details in the correct places. Are these for TANE or TS2019?

Post#2690 - Excellent sunrise shots Frank. Andi's Austerity 2-8-0 look marvelous basking in the golden rays. It's truly an excellent model.

Post#2689

Thanks Annie!

The wagons are TRS19 exclusive for right now as they are in beta testing but I would love for there to be a TANE version in the future!

With all the locomotives Camscott has made he wanted to gauge interest in creating Pre-Grouping rolling stock for Trainz like he did with the GCR freight pack.
I really enjoy his wagons and I wanted to ask you guys on the forums your opinion on stuff like this in the future so I posted these for you to get a look at. If it goes over well then there might be a lot more Pre-Grouping wagons in the future! (FR,GER,GNR,etc..)

The wagons are excellent for what I need them for. Not only are they going to be good for modeling LBSCR era routes but all the wagons here survived to the Grouping Act and will be useful there too! If I wanted to go even further the Brakevan and a couple other wagons survived to BR days as departmental stock for engineering trains!

Last edited:
There is a pressing need for good pre-grouping rolling stock in Trainz Tanker. I've done a lot of pre-grouping reskins, but I know very well that they are only approximations at best with all kind of errors with physical dimensions. They look something like what they are supposed to and they are better than nothing, but really I'd be very pleased if Cam was to make them obsolete by making accurate replacements.

I have said this elsewhere, but there is a lack of appreciation that up to WWII the majority of rolling stock in use was actually of pre-grouping origin! This goes for wagons as well as carriages. In some cases railway company wagons were still running round in pre-grouping livery as late as 1933, ten years after the grouping. There were complaints when WWII was impending that British companies had invested far too little on modernising facilities since WWI, with the largest proportion of wagons in use remaining that of 10 Ton to 12 Ton capacity. The NE Area of the LNER had a larger proportion of 20 Ton Coal Hoppers than elsewhere but the investment in handling facilities for them was largely made by the NER prior to WWI. However, since many companies had struggled to even survive the trials of the 1920s and 30s it is not surprising that modernisation was a luxury which was afforded by a small minority.

Yes, containerisation was under way by the late 1930s but that traffic was dwarfed by coal traffic, which was still in the hands of wagons which, in some cases were exactly the same ones plying their trade twenty-five years earlier in 1914. Some even retaining their original grease axle boxes.

I have all four volumes of Hudson's Private Owner wagons and even if every example in all four volumes were built it would still only be a small fraction of those which existed. With many being built to RCH standards with RCH parts there is a case that "generic" wagons are exactly what the companies wanted. Wagons almost identical except for livery. The common user agreement of 1917 meant that most wagons from most companies could (and did) turn up hundreds of miles from home prior to WWII. I have shots of NER company wagons at Barmouth in 1924 and an LMS open wagon turning up in more than one shot of the Roseby branch in the 1920s. Getting up there meant an ascent up a 1 in 5 incline, so it was hardly just happenstance that it was up there. It may have stayed up there for some time. If I recall it correctly, in a census of LNER wagons towards the end of WWII there were several thousand wagons which had not been seen by the company since the day they were built!

Still, I would welcome Camscott turning his hand to some railway company wagons as used by pre-grouping companies. As ever, drawings and photographs will be key and we should not underestimate the costs associated with assembling that data. We should not just expect Camscott to somehow gather this together. If somebody has a particular company or particular wagon in mind, then at the very least they should provide Camscott with drawings. A photo would help him too.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more Frank! It's become a bit of a hobby of mine to collect diagrams for modeling UK locomotives and wagons. It's hard to find these things and we all should work together to share what resources we have with each other - the more of us have resources the more content can be made for Trainz!

While the size of my collection of SR diagrams dwarfs the other big four, the LNER is not far behind. I have a lot of GER and GNR diagrams but my collection of NER stock drawings is definitely lacking. I would love to get my hands on some E1 or NER K diagrams in the future but we'll see if I can't find them beforehand!

The wagons look great bud, only niggle is that shiny blue hue the wheels and the metals have, takes me right out of it. Apart from that the models are looking pretty good.

Hello Tanker,

NER K Diagrams? Such as the K1 8 Ton Cattle Wagon and K2 8 Ton Clerestory roof Special Cattle Van?
NER Diagram E1? The 7 Ton 4-wheel Bell wagon?

The K1 is also in Peter Tatlow's "An Illustrated History of LNER Wagons Volume 2" and in the NERA's NER Wagon drawings book Vol 1.
The E1 is also in the NERA Wagon Drawings book Vol 1.

Paul Mace of paulztrainz has built me several K1 Cattle Wagons.
Steve Banks mentions on his website that cattle wagons were in the common user agreement.
The LNWR (later LMSR) and GWR were the largest owners of cattle wagons because of the size of the Irish cattle trade through Fishguard, Holyhead (and to a lesser degree Stranraer on the G&SWR).
A substantial portion of the cattle arriving at Holyhead on the LNWR were slaughtered there, with a consequent large meat traffic outwards, but there was still a considerable flow of animals from there to various cities in England.

Last edited:
Post#2695 - Hi Chris! The majority of diagrams I have for GNR is locomotive diagrams. I am looking into getting some more coach or wagon diagrams but they are notoriously hard to find outside of purchasing books. I have a large number of GER Diagrams because their historical society have an online website where I can buy the drawings outright instead of having to get them directly from books.

Post#2696 - The Blueish-golden hue is a effect of the new PBR materials Camscott is testing out. I have it on a few of my LBSCR Locos that he made for me. I am not sure what causes it but I can ask him when I talk to him next.

Post#2697 - Ah! Forgive me Frank! When I said E1 and K I meant the NER locomotives classes like the NER E1 (J72) and K (Y8) locomotives! I should have clarified that - Sorry! Needless to say I can forward Camscott any NER Wagon Diagrams if you have any. I have a few but I'm sure that is something he'd definitely look at in the future!

I forwarded the info to Camscott about the wagons and am now field testing the SR Liveried ones! Both sets will be available for TANE in the future so stay posted! :)

OGcS5Fe.jpg
[/IMG]

r01PruS.jpg
[/IMG]

UvW8EHO.jpg
[/IMG]

yvw1rZu.jpg
[/IMG]

4YrkAXG.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Hello Tanker

I did think that the single example of a bell wagon was an unusual choice for a wagon. I have a ton of NER wagons built for me by Paul Mace but, as ever. the wishlist appears never to diminish. Currently waiting on the conveyor belt are the fitted perishable covered wagons, refrigerated meat, ventilated and fruit. It seems there were a very, very small number of ATB fitted K1 8 Ton Cattle Wagons for "semi-special" movements not justifiying the use of a K2 NPCS Special Cattle Wagon.

Regards
Frank

Hi Tanker! Ah I see. I have noticed that, I had been looking our for GNR coach diagrams to get Paul to make some. I am currently in process of getting him to make me some Hawksworth coaches. Then, I'll be asking him to make some LNER and GNR coaches that I found. It's very awkward to find plans for GNR but Paul seems to find them :)

Excellent Choice! Hawksworth's designs are sorely missing from Trainz! I'm hope you will post some pics when they're done! :)

More F&M - Blackheath helping with the engineering work on the line.

ZMf4lCQ.jpg
[/IMG]

XvZ9NNC.jpg
[/IMG]

wXXsd9F.jpg
[/IMG]

I will do Tanker, I've never posted a pic in here so not sure how to do that. It seems odd seeing a loco called Blackheath, iWork in Lewisham lol.

Back