UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg
Ex GWR Mogul late version with side window cab on test on my ER branch line.

Ex GWR 5569 of 83D Laira testing on my ER Brach line.
Some fantastic steam shots posted on here today & such a nice variety. Thanks to all.

Why are the passenger trains longer then the frights ? :) It's not a complaint . Just a curiosity of mine :cool: Fantastic shots all .

Matt

@borderreiver, have you done the bit of the Beamish Wagonway where it went close to Beamish Station ? I remember as a kid in the early 70s how, when we would go for days out , we would go past the road leading to the current Beamish museum and there were two level crossing gates submerged in vegetation on the branches leading to Beamish Colliery. The course of the wagonway was quite easily visible from the road.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/120934995

Last edited:
Why are the passenger trains longer then the frights ? :) It's not a complaint . Just a curiosity of mine :cool: Fantastic shots all .

Matt

Most of the goods/freight trains you'll see in pictures on here are trip working and pick up goods trains which tend to be shorter trains.

re post #3632 KotangaGirl

Goodly shots Annie, if thats TRS19, it looks like you've cracked it, means I'll have to have another look at TRS2019.

Thanks Ken. I'm getting there with the lighting, but I'd like to see if I can get it a bit closer. At present from most angles it looks great, but with some others the supernova keeps sneaking in.

1924 Auckland Junction - A G6 with Autocar and Q7 with Class H Goods

Railwoodman, here are representations from circa 1924 in Northeast England. An old G6 Class 0-4-4T in charge of a Durham to Sunderland steam autocar passenger service with a Class Q7 0-8-0 freight engine hauling a York to Gateshead Park lane unfitted Class H mainline goods train.

The autocar comes off the line from Durham at Auckland Junction, heading for Leamside and Sunderland.

The autocar stands at Leamside station.

The Q7 at the down home signal on the main line.

The Q7 approaches Leamside station.

The Q7 passes through Leamside station.

The line through Leamside was the original old main line which ran from York to Newcastle. It was a string of railway companies taken over by a fellow called George Hudson, AKA "The Railway King" and in the interests of saving money invloved laying as little track as possible between the extremities of each companies' territory. This meant that the route in County Durham entered the county at Croft, as it does now, but terminated at Greenesfield in Gateshead on the south bank of the River Tyne across from Newcastle.

On its way it struck north past Darlington a little to the east of where the current Darlington Bank Top station would be built forty years later, through Aycliffe and on to Ferryhill, where the route went north to Leamside, passing to the east of the county seat of Durham City, which was served by a branch line from Belmont Junction. Passengers from Durham changed at Leamside in to main line trains. The main line then made its way north to Washington but then joined the former Stanhope and Tyne route, swinging north-eastwards to brockley Whins where it joined the Brandling Junction Railway's Gateshead to Sunderland line (actually Gateshead to Monkwearmouth on the north bank of the Wear at that time).

One of the reasons Hudson was able to snap up companies was due to their overspending. Excavating the cutting at Ferryhill and building the Victoria Viaduct over the River Wear near Washington bankrupted the companies which built them while the Stanhope & Tyne had paid far too much money for the wayleaves to cross privately held land and never made a profit in consequence. The S&T preferred to build on the wayleave system rather than go to Parliament and spend money on the process of securing an Act to authorise building its line. The wayleave system was entrenched in the construction of waggonways during the 18th and early 19th centuries. The Brandling Junction Railway also fell in to financial difficulties and sold out to Hudson.

After the fall of Hudson due to financial irregularities, the companies which formed the constituent parts of the route between York and the scottish border amalgamated with others to form the North Eastern Railway. They then spanned the River Tyne, built Newcastle Central station and began to shorten the route in County Durham. First, they built a line between Washington and Pelaw to cut out the diversion to brockley Whins but eventually they diverted the East Coast Main Line through Durham and along the Team Valley to reach Newcastle from the south rather than southeast. By the time of the screenshots in 1924 Leamside had not been on the East Coast main line route for almst 50 years.

While it varied by engine, the limit for goods trains on the East Coast Main Line was approximately 90 wagons. This dropped to 54 wagons through Newcastle Central Station, forming a pinch point. The 3-cylinder Raven Q7 0-8-0 was perfectly capable of hauling this number of wagons but it would be only around 25 mph, the maximum speed for trains not fitted with automatic train braking. Most goods/freight and mineral traffic moved around the UK in such trains, which were called "loose-coupled" or "unfitted" trains. A three-link steel chain coupling was the method of coupling these trains. Screw type couplings were for fitted goods trains and passenger trains, while various types of coupler such as Gould's and Buckeye were used on some passenger trains. Fast express passenger trains on the L.N.E.R. typically used Buckeye couplers.

Last edited:
An LMS type 4MT of 40F Boston 04/60 works to the Lincolnshire coast although now local service in hands of DMU during the season at week ends & Bank holidays loco haulage was the order of the day. A batch of these mogul's replaced the Gresley K2 14of which worked on the west Highland line in Scotland. Sadly the DMU saw the end of the Atlantic C12 tanks although the ex GC A5 tank held on a while on duties that had mail or parcels attached.

That is a serious sized boiler on the Q7 Frank.

You're tempting me to get myself a standard 4MT for research purposes tailight.

Track testing along the West Cornwall line. I built this 4-2-4 tank engine up especially for track testing and it does a good job too with picking up irregularities in trackwork. Of course sometimes I just play trains with it. Churchward tried his hand at something similar, only what works on the Broad Gauge doesn't necessarily work out on the standard gauge and his one wouldn't stay on the rails due to poor bogie design.

jZm0f0F.jpg

M4sbThq.jpg

Nice shots & good to see a Q7. Had a trip along NYM hauled by the preserved one several years ago & the sounds were simply amazing.

I've heard that the Q7 is currently based at Head of Steam in Darlington along with the last NER E5 in existence.

I'm not too familiar with the Q7s as I am with the Q5s and Q6s. I know they were based primarily at Tyne Dock but not much else beyond the kind of work they used to do.

Still, I can't help but admire the 0-8-0s of the NER. I really do think that they were Raven's best work.

Some really nice shots on this thread.

One from me:

2021-02-26_194250.jpg

The Bodmin & Wenford's Pannier Tank 4612 climbing up to Bodmin General.

Mark

It's certainly a mystery Frank. No sign of any stray 14xx's at Laira on this Cornwall Railway Society page. http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/laira-depot.html

I'm pretty surprised that it's so hard to pinpoint a little 0-4-2T working in Cornwall. Reminds me of a story about another little western engine evading location and scrap for long periods of time... ;)

Fast forward Dearnby to 1946 and you'll find that the portside railway town has a few 14XXs of it's own! During the middle of WW2 the GWR allocated several new types of tank locomotives to help with the supply shipments to the western front. The total order included seven 8750 Class, six 9400 Class, and two 1400 Class tank engines. The 9400 Class became extremely popular and were kept on as one of the main types of Dearnby Panniers after and during nationalization. The 1400s were found to be extremely successful on the Bucklenor Branch and eventually ended up replacing the 5400 Panniers on the line.

1436 is one of those two engines. The GWR has maintained its control over the line from Badgercombe High Street even into the postwar era. Nowadays, the line is serviced by an exclusive autocoach service that joins up with the SR's express services at Casterford. No. 1436 is rostered to take the first train.

28PTyHx.jpg
[/IMG]

7mCFiil.jpg
[/IMG]

yRq0kfG.jpg
[/IMG]

UtdomKO.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Back