UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

re posts #1480 KotangaGirl and #1481 Tanker46

Thank you both for the compliments. Yes a melancholy feeling about them, probably due to the East Anglian sector of BR to go diesel very early plus many line closures.
As Kotangagirl says was easy to change the body.jpg. I use the "Freeware" program "Paint dot net". Try the clone tool to copy and paste a un-lettered part into a new layer, line up, erase tool around the edges to blend, when happy flatten the layers and save JPG 100%. Then add lettering, bearing in mind parts of the image are up- sidedown and back to front.

Try this website https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerbrake

UK........BR/GCR/MET

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Oh ok. Thanks for the info. I wasn't be specific when I asked that question. What is the method you used to remove the letters? I use GIMP as my texture editor and I try to color over the letters by copying the van's color as a background color an painting over them, but I lose the detailing on the van in the process. I make models using the same texturing method as Camscott, so I am familiar with the jpgs, but I'm not really that good at reskinning so I make a lot of errors.

Oh ok. Thanks for the info. I wasn't be specific when I asked that question. What is the method you used to remove the letters? I use GIMP as my texture editor and I try to color over the letters by copying the van's color as a background color an painting over them, but I lose the detailing on the van in the process. I make models using the same texturing method as Camscott, so I am familiar with the jpgs, but I'm not really that good at reskinning so I make a lot of errors.

No, you're using too much science in the graphics software to mod the van sides Tanker. I copy and pasted a section of the planked side above the letter over the letter I wanted to remove and then carefully checked it to make sure there's no mismatch in colour on the planks. If there is a mismatch all I do is blend the colours together with near transparent washes until it looks OK. I always do this with the image greatly enlarged using the zoom tool so I can see what I'm doing. Even when I'm working on my own models I have them seriously enlarged so I can see if things are matching together correctly. I think it took me all of 10 minutes to mod the brake van including adding in the BR tonnage and number lettering.
Oh and I use Paint.NET as my main graphics software and do nearly everything with it. I have Gimp, but I don't use it that much.

Last edited:
Hello Tanker46
KotangaGirl has it in a nutshell for what is needed, keep it simple, I also use Paint.Net, but Gimp would be similar.

See the screenshot, (I have used part of the "Camscott" jpg to get it all into one screen shot)

Stage 1: use the select tool to copy part of the image that has no lettering.

Stage 2: now paste it into the image as a new layer and move it down to cover the "E". Use the erase tool to "blend" so as to avoid sharp edges.

Stage 3: when happy with what you have done, "Flatten" the image and you should have Stage 3.

Always keep a copy of the original if you mess it up you can always revert to the original.

Cheers, evilcrow

Thank you both so much! I tried it with Paint.net and Gimp and they both worked like a charm. This brakevan will be so helpful on my GCR Mainline route and these methods will be extremely helpful in the future! Evilcrow, KotangaGirl.. I can't thank you both enough!! :)

I'm glad you were able to get the brake van sorted out Tanker. It is a nice brake van even though one would be a rare sight in the real world on a West Coast Borders section like Middlevales.

And two more great screenshots from the master of atmospheric steam era screenshots. Thanks for making me smile evilcrow.

Atmospheric shot Evilcrow. One of Camscott's Q6 0-8-0s. #63405 appears to have the 51L Thornaby shed plate ( shedded there from June 1958 to July 1963). Next stop was Sunderland until withdrawal in December 1966. A working life of 47 years and six months. The N.E.R. L.N.E.R. and B.R. N.E. Region certainly got their money's worth out of her, hauling coal, coke, iron ore, crushed limestone, scrap, chemicals or steel six out of seven days a week.

re posts # 1490 KotangaGirl and #1491 borderreiver

Thank you both for the kind words. 51L Thornaby, went past it last year or rather the open space. The whole area a shadow of what it once was, very sad.

UK............BR/GCR/MET

Cheers, evilcrow

Another great shot! Nice to see “Bronzino” in flight - it was a regular on the Durham coast line, and always drew a lot of boos from the spotters!
Best wishes
Ian

Nice shot by evilcrow at post #1493.

@IanOHoseason; what did Bronzino do to make the spotters shout boos?

Rob.

re posts #1494 and #1495
Thank you gentlemen for the compliment.

I never saw 60539 Bronzino, a rare visitor to Kings Cross no doubt. I suspect the "boos" would have been accompanied with shouts of "reeker" or "grid"
or other such words to denote a commonly seen loco when perhaps something 'rare' was expected.

UK..........BR/GCR/MET

Cheers, evilcrow

Spot on, evil crow, although “grid” and “reeker” must be Southern spotter jargon. As I recollect, calls of “scrap it” were frequent!
Best wishes
Ian

Thanks gents for explanation re: "boos", I didn't know it was part of the general 'train spotter' jargonese! I was never a keen train spotter in my youth but living close to Manchester Airport, Ringway, in my childhood, aircraft spotting was the predominant boys' hobby then and there!

Rob

Wow! Smell the coal smoke and the scent of hot oily metal! And the sound, the earth shaking sound as if they are living breathing giants passing us by. Another great screenshot evilcrow.

Wow! Smell the coal smoke and the scent of hot oily metal! And the sound, the earth shaking sound as if they are living breathing giants passing us by...

Blimey! The imagination runs riot, verging on the erotic!

Nice shot, evilcrow.

Rob.

Last edited:
Back