UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

re post #3079 - The cold might not have been the issue we think it may have been. On the Stockton & Darlington Railway, the crews operating the line over Stainmore between Barnard Castle and Kirkby Stephen experienced atrocious weather over the winter. However, during 1862 when it was proposed to provide locomotives with enclosed cabs "in the American style" there was a revolt among the footplate crews! They called the proposal an assault on their masculinity, that they were in some way lesser men than on other lines to be so coddled! I think it was William Bouch who was behind the proposal and while the first two locos were provided with cabs, the following four did not have cabs. Mere weatherplates on those four. Proper cabs did not appear on all locomotives on the Stainmore line for around a generation, the late 1870s/early 1880s under the N.E.R. and Fletcher. While the S&DR was absorbed by the N.E.R. in 1863 Bouch remained in charge of locos on the S&DR lines and the S&DR operated almost as a separate entity, taking ten years before the N.E.R. fully took over the lines.

Last edited:
I have one of those Bouch 4-4-0s with the large 'American' cab Frank. I also have others with just the weatherboard. Paul has it tucked away on his website with his 19th century NBR stuff, - even though it's plainly not an NBR engine. Not a bad model all the same, though I haven't run my ones for ages ever since my railway interests disappeared off down south.

A Bouch 4-4-0 somewhat inexplicably hauling a train of chauldron wagons on my old Cairnrigg to Balessie Scottish route. After Frank mentioned William Bouch and his engines with an 'American' cab in post #3083 I went hunting for my Bouch engines, wiped them down, gave them a once over and gave them a run.
It was nice to see this old layout of mine again, but there were a few spots where I had to sigh and shake my head over mistakes I'd made. I might do an updated version, but I'd still want to keep the landscape empty and lonely looking just as it is now.

Leaving Cairnrigg yard.

DTS0s48.jpg

sRVqP7M.jpg

When I did the TS2019 version of this layout I could not get the cliffs at Cairnrigg to look as forbidding and frowning as they do in the TS2012 version.

kYRErXh.jpg

Lttm9nu.jpg

Out of the tunnel and onwards to Rosstyre.

vhKnQcz.jpg

Passing through Rosstyre.

nhvrObN.jpg

And then I messed up the next few screenshots so here's the last one with No.161 at Balessie yard.

uHAlEMN.jpg

KotangaGirl,
Those are really nice shots. It looks very desolate and unpopulated out there. You've captured that feeling well on the route.

The engine looks really nice, and I'd say the train crew looks a lot more comfortable in the "American" cab than they would be standing out in the open. :)

Nicely done!

Heinrich505

Very nice Annie. An 1860 design by Bouch and the 4-4-0 wheel arrangement would persist in employment on UK rails until the late 1950s. One, the Gresley D49 "Morayshire" remains in preservation to this day. However, your shot is of one of the earliest 4-4-0s to run in the UK, starting almost one hundred years of utilisation of the type. Several years ago I was lucky to visit the B&O museum in Baltimore. They were exhibiting "The War Came By Train" to commemorate 150 years since the American Civil War. If I recall correctly they had a 4-4-0 "American" loco on display from the late 1850s. I also rode on "the first mile" of track in the USA at the museum.

Thanks Heinrich. 'Cainrigg to Balessie' was a test track that somehow grew up to become a layout and it was the first layout I ever uploaded to the DLS. I really should give it a little tidy up and update it.
Originally it was where I ran all my early 1850s and 1860s Edinburgh Railway engines and rolling stock and perhaps I should get back to doing that again and let the GWR have the Minehead branch back again.

The surprising thing about the Bouch 4-4-0 Frank is how modern it looks for 1860. It's certainly a landmark design and as you say 4-4-0s lasted into the final days of steam in the UK so they certainly were successful.
I had a NER layout I built up in TS2009 and that's when I purchased the Bouch 4-4-0s from Paul so it's been a while since I last ran any of them.

Last edited:
Thompson Diagram 328 Compo in Carmine and Cream

I have been working my way through orders with Paul Mace to upgrade the Thompson carriages I commissioned quite a few years ago now. I had forgotten just how many diagrams I had Paul turn out. Here a 59ft 6in Corridor Composite to Diagram 328 in its lined carmine and cream livery, applied from 1950 onwards until 1956. Of course, as various contemporary photographs attest, not every carriage got carmine and cream in 1950. It was a process which took years. Unusually, the pressure ventilated carriages built for the premier named expresses such as "The Flying Scotsman" kept scumbled teak livery and white roofs until the spring of 1953.

The latest tweak is the application of the FIRST totems in the windows.
This adds to the auto-couplers, night mode, upgraded bogies and HD numbers modifying the 2014-era originals.
E18459 was the first of a batch of forty turned out of York works during 1950 for the "All Lines Register" (as opposed to the "East Coast Register"). E18459 - E18508.

Impressive locomotive Annie! I don't think I've ever seen a UK engine like that! Also nice choice on the name - it's the same as mine! :hehe:

Snow! That's a great screenshot evilcrow. I have weakness for Winter routes with snow, - which is strange since where I live we don't get snow in Winter except for an occasional very light dusting on the highest hills.

Impressive locomotive Annie! I don't think I've ever seen a UK engine like that! Also nice choice on the name - it's the same as mine! :hehe:

Since it was the first Uk 4-4-0 I'm sure people in the 1860s found the Bouch 4-4-0s a bit unusual too Tanker. :D
They are really nice engines, but with my interests lying in the south with the GER and GWR, - and the LSWR, - I don't really get much of a chance to run them.

Re post #3092 KotangaGirl
Thanks for the compliment Annie and snow does seem to be a thing of the past I'm afraid.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Lickney Incline by TLBlade for TC3. A really nice older route with the trackwork and station layouts done as closely as the route creator could manage to the prototype. The two miles of Lickey bank is modelled in all its glory along with Bromsgrove and Blackwell stations. All I've done is change the track, as well as some trees and hedges.
The route has loops at each end as well as portal tracks and one of the uphill loops has a coal unloader and one of the downhill loops has a coal loader so much fun with working coal trains up and down Lickey can be experienced.

As far as I know the ex-LMS Garratts never worked over Lickey, but since I own several I used one on the first test run. Forty five wagons and a brake van formed the test train which is about the same as the coal train length I use as standard on Middle Vales.

6ihLxo6.jpg

rYA4kSw.jpg

3SPxF89.jpg

DLLoP9J.jpg

6sNYmyo.jpg

tOoXvUm.jpg

No, but the ex-LNER Garratt was tried out as a banker but it was found that the long distance from cab to front made closing up on the train a risky business so it was abandoned in favour of a gaggle of ex-GWR panniers.

Thanks Annie for the compliment.
Your Lickey Incline mod is looking good. You could try a modding a 9f with a suitable headlamp to give 92079 as a banker.

Cheers, evilcrow

No, but the ex-LNER Garratt was tried out as a banker but it was found that the long distance from cab to front made closing up on the train a risky business so it was abandoned in favour of a gaggle of ex-GWR panniers.

I have been resisting buying a LNER Garratt John. As it is with the four LMS Garratts that I've got I end up running them in places where they never worked so I don't really want another huge orphan engine on the books. The problem is they sound so wonderful when they're working coal trains I end up using them when I shouldn't.
I can see how it would have been a problem though when using a Garratt as a banker with it being such a long distance from the cab to the front buffer beam. It would have been difficult for a driver to judge how close he was to the rear of the train he was supposed to be banking so he could close up the distance safely.

Last edited:
Thanks Annie for the compliment.
Your Lickey Incline mod is looking good. You could try a modding a 9f with a suitable headlamp to give 92079 as a banker.

Cheers, evilcrow

More lovely snow screenshots!

Believe me when I say my Garratts don't need any further encouragement from a banker since they are a bit more overpowered than they should be to start with.
The LMS Garratts never worked on Lickey and never strayed any further west than Birmingham so I was being naughty playing with one on Lickey bank. Once I've finished doing the final fix ups on the layout I'll be assigning some historically legitimate engines to work it and the Garratt can go back into my digital trainset box. My interest is in the early BR period so sorry no 9F's I'm afraid. More than likely a scruffy collection of 'Jinties' instead.

Back