UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

If that is true then it is a useful pointer. the author of the photo posting admitted to not knowing the date of the shot. Some information I looked at regarding BR container liveries just refers to the lettering as "early" and "late", with no clarification as to what date divided them. replied to your PM.

Approaching Carlisle from Newcastle, 1938

Summer 1938, and LNER D49 part 2 "Hunt" Class Number 201. "The Bramham Moor" brings the 1:20 p.m. Summer Saturdays Newcastle to Silloth passenger train past the LMS Durran Hill shed towards Carlisle Citadel station, where it is due to arrive at 2:58 p.m. The train is a North East Area four coach Composition A set, number 18. The core of this set are two 52ft 3-compartment bogie Brake Thirds, a 52ft bogie Composite Lavatory (4 First Class compartments and 3 Third Class compartments) and a 49ft 7 compartment bogie Third. The 52ft coaches are ex-NER Clerestory roof bogie coaches built between 1899 and 1901, while the 49ft coaches are ex-NER Elliptical roof bogie coaches built between 1907 and 1914. The Milk van is an ex-NER arc-roof six wheel former Luggage Van. During late N.E.R. days and L.N.E.R. days, six-wheel N.E.R/ex-N.E.R. Luggage Vans were in frequent use as parcels vans between Newcastle, Carlisle and Stranraer.

Composite A set 18 started the working day at Hexham at 6:05 a.m. and will finish it at Silloth at 3:47 p.m. At midday during its work roster it had a Third Class bogie coach attached at Blackhill, and later, at 1:09 p.m. in Newcastle had a further Third Class bogie coach and six-wheel Milk Van attached. The Milk van and one Third Class coach will be detached at Carlisle, with the other Third Class coach being detached at Silloth, a town on the southern bank of the Solway Firth. The D49 is hauling the train as part of Gateshead Shed passenger duty number 7. The footplate crew signed on at 12:50 p.m., running Light Engine to Newcastle Central station at 1:09 p.m. The D49 will uncouple at Carlisle and proceed Light Engine to London Road shed. The loco will lay over until 6:30 p.m. and work the 7:00 p.m. passenger service back to Newcastle, arriving at 8:41 p.m. the locomotive will run light engine to Gateshead shed at 8:54 p.m. and the footplate crew will sign off at 9:16 p.m.

Above, the train passes Durran Hill sidings.

Above, the train approached Petteril Bridge junction.

Above, the train passes beneath London Road bridge, as the 2:50 p.m. Carlisle to Newcastle passenger service passes, hauled by another D49 4-4-0.

Above, the train climbs the incline from London Road junction towards Carlisle Citadel station.

The route is the Settle & Carlisle and the train is made up of Paulztrainz assets.

Last edited:
The Trainz Museum and Gallery

2312049e70d8479bc4e37657ca0cbdd0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
ba2c253e42c0770127dcb965ddcd00e4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
fcda5d20854a51bea83ed20174329871.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
22146efd293e2f9efa2318d6d6c87105.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
83db7faf3d39591fd58f7e7be4b56589.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
d2171d95ab4c8c7f8686e3e01be439bf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi Neville - Some classics on display there, not least Lielestosbrat's BR 9F 2-10-0. I'd like to see a new locomotive from "Lesto Route Works"! One can dream. Is that the A1 4-6-2 "TORNADO" in the background of the shot with the 9F?

Last edited:
1938 - Summer Saturday at Hellifield

I have a David & Charles Reprint of the Bradshaw's Railway Guide for July 1938. I am using the T:ANE version of the S&C Route to illustrate a Saturday lunchtime in that summer, which is now 79 years in the past. The Settle and Carlisle line's local passenger traffic is waiting to be served by the 11:38 a.m. stopping passenger service from Hellifield to Carlisle Citadel. The three coach train is in the bay with a Fowler 2P 4-4-0 simmering away before starting an almost three hour turn of duty which will take it over the pennine hills to the border city 76 and 3/4 miles away, with 20 station stops en-route. The fireman must be a tough fellow.

With it being a summer Saturday, there will be the 7:05 a.m. Saturdays Only Express from Nottingham to Morecambe, calling at Hellifield. Arriving at 11:22 a.m. and departing at 11:28 a.m. The train is lamped as an express but it is not a high speed service. It spent 24 minutes at Leeds (10:01 a.m. to 10:25 a.m.) and takes 19 minutes to cover the ten miles from Skipton to Hellifield. This is only three minutes less than the Saturdays Excepted stopping train that departs Skipton for Heysham via Morecambe and Lancaster Ayre Green at the same time (11:03 a.m.) and that has two intermediate stops. On Saturdays the 11:03 a.m. stopping train is moved to an 11:10 departure and arrives Hellifield at 11:33 a.m. The Nottingham Express reaches Morecambe at 12:15 a.m. while the 11:10 a.m. stopping train from Skipton will reach the resort at 12:38, having made 12 intermediate stops en-route.

In the eastbound direction a stopping train between Carnforth and Leeds will call at Hellifield at 11:22 a.m. This conveys a through carriage from Barrow-in-Furness for Leeds. Passengers on that through coach will be hardy souls, departing Barrow at 9:12 a.m. (SX) or 9:20 a.m. (SO) with just six minutes allotted to switch the coach to the Leeds train at Carnforth. The ultimate arrival at leeds is 12:23 p.m. and with only short station stops en-route, I would hope that at least some of the passengers had access to a toilet in either a bogie Lavatory Composite or bogie Brake Third Lavatory! I am not expecting the LMS of 1938 to grace the stopping train with corridor coaches. So much for the good old days and the glamour of rail travel. I am letting freight get a look-in with a part fitted freight from Durranhill yard passing through on its way to West Yorkshire.

Above the 7:05 a.m. Nottingham to Morecambe Express has found itself in the hands of 4-6-0 "The Duke of Sutherland" while the 2P 4-4-0 waits to depart for Carlisle in Hellifield's western bay platform. Perhaps one or two passengers from Nottingham, Sheffield or Leeds is changing trains to take a less travelled path and take a rambling holiday at Settle, Kirkby Stephen or Appleby.

Above, the 10:30 a.m. Carnforth to Leeds train arrives at Hellifield in the hands of another 2P 4-4-0.

Above, the express for Morecambe via Wennington Junction and Lancaster Ayre Green leaves Hellifield as a Black Five 4-6-0 brings an eastbound freight from Durranhill Yard through the station.

Above, in the hands of a 2P 4-4-0 the 11:10 SO Skipton to Heysham stopping passenger train approaches Hellieifeld station as the Black Five 4-6-0 leaves for Leeds.

Above, the station at Hellifield hosts two 2P 4-4-0s. In the through platform is the 11:38 departure for all stations to Heysham via Lancaster Ayre Green, while in the bay platform is the 11:38 stopping train for Carlisle via the Settle and Carlisle.

Just to add, I thnk that this is a classic example of a steam era junction. The lines radiating from Hellifield to the west/north west pass through sparse countryside but have large towns at the end of them (Morecambe, Barrow, Carlisle), with Lancaster and Appleby providing other traffic centres on two of them. The 11:38 to Carlisle has three trains which feed it, from Nottingham to Leeds, Barrow and Carnforth to Clapham, and Skipton. The 10:20 Leeds to Glasgow express stopped at Hellifield at 11:10, which on Monday to Friday would be the usual feeder train for passengers from Leeds and beyond, though the London passenger would have to be at St Pancras at an ungodly 4:25 a.m. and a change at Derby (8:01 a.m. arrival, 8:20 a.m departure on the 7:45 a.m. Nottingham - Leeds) arriving Leeds 10:06 a.m. If they wanted anything to eat they would find it in the Restaurant Car on the connection at Derby, but only on a Monday to Friday! There might have only been a couple of passengers from each train for the 11:38 over the S&C but a 1930s passenger wanting to get from places such as Nottingham, Derby, Sheffield, Leeds, Skipton, Carnforth, Lancaster, Barrow or Colne to a town such as Settle, Kirkby Stephen or Appleby, or a village such as Hawes, Armathwaite or Scotby, then the train was the way to do it. Private cars were a luxury for the middle and upper classes and nearly all road travel was on winding two lane roads, with 1930s motor vehicle reliability making a long journey by road a real adventure. Long distance travel by bus was two to three decades away from being a practical possibility.

Surprisingly, today, in 2017, there is an 11:37 a.m. departure from Hellifield to Carlisle! Now the train starts back at Leeds (10:49) and reaches Carlisle at 1:29 p.m. rather than 2:14 p.m. with only ten internediate stops after departing Hellifield. The connection from London will make the long dead Managers of the old Midland Railway and L&MSR turn in their graves though, it is the 7:35 a.m. from London Kings Cross via the ex-GNR main line to Leeds.

The Settle and Carlisle Route is set in the BR era of the late 1950s to early 1960s, so station nameboards and signal box liveries are of that era, so my apologies if anyone is offended by the liberty taken!

Last edited:
The Trainz Museum and Gallery

bordereiver - Yes it is Tornado; one of Camscott's finest. Here it is in all its glory:
4767b858272a57c17d39d8b1a064886b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1938 - More Summer Saturday Activity at Hellifield

While my previous screenshot sequences were around the 11:38 a.m. stopping train departure for Carlisle, further examination of Bradshaw's yielded the information that the junction station had a busy hour leading up to that departure. It started with the 10:38 arrival of the stopping train from Manchester Victoria via Blackburn. That loco and set terminating at Hellifield would have to be processed promptly, because at 10:48 a.m. an express from Liverpool Exchange would follow it off the former L&Y Blackburn line. That train would also terminate at Hellifield but carried through coaches from Liverpool for attachment on to the 9:15 a.m. Manchester Victoria to Glasgow St Enoch express, which would arrive at Hellifield only eight minutes later, at 10:56 a.m. It would continue on its way north at 11:00 a.m. I expect that the Liverpool Exchange service is a holdover from pre-grouping days, since Liverpool - Glasgow via Preston, Blackburn, Hellifield, Carlisle and Dumfries is a somewhat circuitous routing compared to the former LNWR West Coast main Line. Throw in a passing Leeds to Heysham Belfast Boat Express at 10:54 and there is a lot going on around the down side of the station.

The up side is not without its challenges over the same time period. The 8:05 a.m. stopping passenger train from Carlisle arrives at 10:46 and I believe that this set and very likely the engine has to be shunted in to the northern bay platform for the 11:38 departure to Carlisle. Swift work is required to turn the 2P 4-4-0 loco and water it for the return service. Next through the up face of the station's island platform would be the 9:36 a.m. stopping passenger train from Carnforth, arriving at 10:52 a.m. This had a five minute pause at Hellifield before continuing on its way to Leeds. I was surprised that very shortly afterwards a stopping passenger train from Hellifield to Skipton would depart at 11:03 a.m. I think it departed from the up through platform as I believe the set forming the 10:38 arrival from Manchester would be marshalled in the south facing bay for the 11:15 a.m. return working to Manchester Victoria.

Above, the Manchester Victoria stopping service approaches Hellifield in the hands of a Fowler 4P 2-6-4T.

Above, the 3F 0-6-0T station pilot runs past the stopping train, positioning itself to take the through coaches off the rear of the express from Liverpool Exchange.

Above, the morning Carlisle stopping train stands at Hellifield, terminating here. The set from the Manchester stopping train is in the south facing bay.

Above the 9:10 a.m. Liverpool Exchange express arrives at Hellifield at 10:48 a.m. Two through coaches for Glasgow are at the rear. I have also tried the 4-6-0 ex-LNWR Claughton and 4-6-0 Class 5 hauling this train. I wonder what motive power it had allocated in the 1930s?

Above, the 3F approaches the through coaches to couple up to them and clear the platform face for the 10:56 a.m arrival of the Manchester to Glasgow express.

I have found that running this as a session has thrown up several challenges, not least the process to accomplish coupling up to coaches using the "couple ahead" rule (in conjunction with the Set DCC Throttle rule). More than once I discovered "ahead" was not the direction I believed it to be! With sets to process from Manchester, Carlisle, Liverpool and the carriage sidings I have had to treat siding space, the bay platforms, the through tracks and the loops as the precious asset they are. I inadvertantly parked the ECS from the Liverpool express on the loop on the up side of the station, preventing the loco off the Carlisle train running around, and trapping the 2-6-4T rostered for the the 11:03 to Skipton in the shed's yard! Keeping the loco and set of the 10:48 arrival in the down side loop until after the 11:03 for Skipton gets away gives me 19 minutes before the 11:22 a.m.'s arrival in the up platform from Carnforth!

I have also experimented with shunting the through coaches to the southern end of the south facing bay, putting the Manchester set elsewhere. This is because I am of a belief that keeping occupied passenger coaches on the up Blackburn running line or up Skipton running line possibly violated somebody's safety rules. It adds immensly to the pressure on the 3F, get the through coaches, shunt to bay, shunt out of bay, couple to rear of the train to Glasgow, the first two steps between 10:50 and 10:53 (boat train passes at 10:54) and the last two steps between 10:55 and 10:59. Try not to knock everyone flying in the coaches with a 5mph+ shunt too.......

Last edited:
re post #952 Saieditor.

Hello Saieditor,
the loco and tender are by "edh6", <kuid2:403746:1155:1> "LSWR Drummond C8 - SR Olive Green" and <kuid2:403746:1160:2>"LSWR Drummond 8 Wheel Tender - SR Olive Green". All available on the "DLS". These and other pre -grouping locos by edh6 are superb, down-load the lot!. Run them on "Porchester and Bull's Well" route <kuid:79563:100144> by "rumour3".
All excellent.
Cheers, evilcrow.

Ken ..... you really don't know how to take a bad shot . Vary nice sir . A Q ? what's the car behind the second Engine ?

Matt

Brighton/Eastbourne/Bognor to Haywards Heath route under construction. Here's a glimpse of Brighton's construction. 3rd rail and junction construction messy and time consuming using procedural track.

4be5202ddb5951b4f7c0d7a9bd9ebeef.jpg

unknown.png

Well I was on Discord showing someone what I was playing, but I thought this would be a nice screenshot to show off. Just having some fun with two ex-GNR Atlantic's on the built-in ECML route. (So tempted to do what others have done, date it back, not easy though!)

Back