UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

re post#3462 borderreiver
Nice to see this route coming along, fully seasonal one might please enquire ?

LBSCR WIP TANE

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow.

1947 - Burns Night

Hi Evilcrow, fully seasonal is an aspiration rather than an actuality. At best right now is summer and snow. Lots of tinkering with textures to come by the look of it. TurfFX and Clutter to get to grips with too.

Saturday January 25th 1947. Burns night and the last train of the day from Inverness makes its way through Strathgarve between Achnaclerach and Garbat. It is quest by passengers to reach home and hearth since there is no Sunday service. They might be in time to address the haggis; -

"Fair fa' your honest sonsie face,
Great Cheiftain o the puddin' -race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe or thairm;
Weel are ye worthy o' a grace
As lang's my arm
."

(Burns)

It is not easy to make out, but Stanier stock and a Black 5 make up the train.

The sun sets around 4.25 pm at this time of year at Dingwall, so it is a long haul in the darkness. A light in the countryside is a rare sight between Garve and Ullapool.

A change to the settings, with a cold crisp night rather than a stormy one.

Another one with changed settings. The steam heating had better be working! A former colleague from Oban told me that the heating was not always reliable when he travelled between Oban and Glasgow in the winter and that was only a decade ago!

Last edited:
Snow has arrived in Strathgarve. Dingwall shed has turned out a six-coupled "Wee Ben", No. 17 "Ben Alligan" because its adhesion is useful in adverse conditions.

Excellent screenshots removed

On inspecting the Bradshaw's for April 1910 it would appear that the initial service for Kyle was two Dingwall to Kyle trains, where passengers changed out of Inverness trains bound for Wick and Thurso. I have to consider that the two fictional services for Ardmair might well have been combined at Dingwall and ran double-headed to Garve, where the train divided. The alternative is to have the Ardmair train depart around twenty-five minutes ahead of the Kyle train to clear the section to Achterneed and to be able to cover the distance to Garve before the following Kyle service needs to depart Achterneed.

From what I recall of reading my Highland Railway books, the normal service on the Kyle line was two mixed trains a day and maybe one goods train. There were also extra seasonal trains for fish, sheep etc. but generally a very limited service. I doubt any Ullapool service would have been much different (unless significant Naval traffic was involved, in which case there might have been additional services).

Both your suggested services sound fairly plausible. If using the scenario where a train splits at Garve it probably would have been single headed from Dingwall with an additional loco based in a shed at Garve to work the second portion. An alternative service, based on the HR's often penny pinching operating practice, is that there might be through trains from Dingwall to whichever of Kyle or Ullapool was most important. The other would be operated as a branch service, perhaps with a through coach from Dingwall, Inverness or even points further south.

Another interesting bit of Highland operating practice is that passengers could travel by goods train (in the guards van) after signing a waiver. This service was largely unadvertised, but well used by those in the know who had to travel in areas with limited service and couldn't wait for a passenger train (e.g. doctors attending patients in remote areas). This meant the HR could generally get away with running a much more limited passenger service whilst still serving the local community.

Some really atmospheric screenshots by borderreiver and evilcrow have appeared recently in this thread.

Rob.

Thanks Ed, thanks Rob.

Ed, surprising information about the travel by goods brake. The possibility of a third daily travel option may have been used rather more than we think and it makes me speculate about the interior fitting out of a HR 6-w goods brake! A couple of wooden crates or a bench seat? Of course the guards who operated along the line in HR days are long gone. Oh to have had somebody sit them down in the 1960s/70s and draw that story out of them, as to how many people rode in the brake. The journey time must have been extended in a goods train which stopped to shunt the intermediate stations. There was of couse the reality that there would have been a very long wait for the passenger train. In one of Diana Gabaldon's books and the TV show "Outlander" one of the main characters in 1740s Scottish highlands is to ride from the castle to Inverness in the tinker's cart on his monthly visit. The riding in the brake van may have been an evolution of that kind of rural travel tradition. In the mid-20th century a further evolution of this could be the "post bus" operated by the Royal Mail.

A couple of WIP shots of Ardmair and Isle Martin. very rough with a lot of work remaining to do. A lot of shipping about too.

Looking north from the tunnel portal. A 1 in 50 climb almost from the platform end is required to raise the line around forty feet to the tunnel portal. There are two tunnels to pass through the headland to reach the northern shore of Loch Broom, with a 1 in 75 descent from the southern tunnel portal. A (too) large passenger ferry is at the quay with Ardmair station alongside. I have chosen to go with a single platform , which makes it a smaller one than Kyle. The spur to the Royal Navy depot runs to the right.

The view from the north. A lot of experimenting with textures going on.

Ardmair

A busy day building so time to run some trains at Ardmair.

Highland Tank 2-4-0T "Burghead" shunts loaded fish trucks for the Dingwall passenger train.

Skye Bogie 4-4-0 waits on Ardmair's turntable to run in to the station to couple up to the Dingwall train.

The Dingwall train gets away from Ardmair.

Commencing the climb out of the station towards the northern portal of the tunnel.

Ascending the 1 in 50 past the carriage sidings.

That is quite some project you have there Frank and some really excellent screenshots as well.

I didn't miss seeing your screenshot at #3463 Ken and very nice it is too.

Just some very ordinary screenshots from me taken along the Tenpenny branch on the line to Locke's Soak. Things are pretty much shaken down properly in TANE SP3 now with this smaller version of my old TS2012 Norfolk layout.

No.3 doesn't usually work the passenger service, but I'd been doing quite a bit of work on this engine and I wanted to test it out.

G1Rg9Xk.jpg

t1yMjYe.jpg

s92Ml0m.jpg

1XU0vve.jpg

08AbsdW.jpg

7R6C678.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Annie. As to "ordinary" screenshots, I have done plenty of those myself. All grist to the mill. Tailight98 and East Lincs has also posted a shot recently, and an O4 to boot, which is a type not often seen in the screenshots. The more the merrier. The "Ullapool route" is quite the size, yes. The DEM is around four years old now so I do it when the enthusiasm for some hard-core building has built up. There is still an immense amount of work to do there.

Dear @borderreiver and dear @evilcrow, @KotangaGirl
it seems you battle yourself to show us the best screenshots ever.
I am very happy to see this masterpiece. Thank You for all of it.

Dear friend, dear borderreiver,
can you tell me please, what compartment coaches
you are showing us and maybe where I can get it?
Thank You!

Kind regards from Bavaria
Cosplay, a fan of the old, so called "100 door coaches."

Dear @borderreiver and dear @evilcrow, @KotangaGirl
it seems you battle yourself to show us the best screenshots ever.
I am very happy to see this masterpiece. Thank You for all of it.

Dear friend, dear borderreiver,
can you tell me please, what compartment coaches
you are showing us and maybe where I can get it?
Thank You!

Kind regards from Bavaria
Cosplay, a fan of the old, so called "100 door coaches."

Those are are my Highland Railway coaches, all available on the DLS by searching "Highland" and my username.

Hello Ed, you beat me to the reply. Though the Highland carriages were never produced with LMS liveries? I thought they were and if they were I can't find them in my post-SP2 world.

Cosplay, if you want other Highland Railway stuff then I suggest that you also look at assets on the DLS by masontaylor. Buildings and splines. Look for assets starting with HR SGB, I2K, MAS and MLK. His SBS, SCSK and WHR assets also have many items useful for making a Scottish Highland route. Bobsanders produced a couple of Highland Railway 5 plank wagons. Kengreen produced four six-wheel Highland Railway carriages (eg. <kuid:479038:10910> Highland Railway C 6 wheel Compo/Luggage (D58)). Something a little different are the highland backdrops by Corporal_Major (eg. <kuid:178941:1444> Scottish Highlands Backdrop 1).

Last edited:
Hello Ed, you beat me to the reply. Though the Highland carriages were never produced with LMS liveries? I thought they were and if they were I can't find them in my post-SP2 world.

I've never done LMS liveries for my Highland coaches. It's one of those things on my list I might do at some point, but so far I haven't got around to it.

EEx GCR D11 62670 Marne having rare outing to Lincolnshire Coast Willoughby Loop Line with excursion. No B1 or K3 available so D11 standing in.

just have to love all of masontaylor's items they are so great

Tom

Cosplay, if you want other Highland Railway stuff then I suggest that you also look at assets on the DLS by masontaylor. Buildings and splines. Look for assets starting with HR SGB, I2K, MAS and MLK. His SBS, SCSK and WHR assets also have many items useful for making a Scottish Highland route. Bobsanders produced a couple of Highland Railway 5 plank wagons. Kengreen produced four six-wheel Highland Railway carriages (eg. <kuid:479038:10910> Highland Railway C 6 wheel Compo/Luggage (D58)). Something a little different are the highland backdrops by Corporal_Major (eg. <kuid:178941:1444> Scottish Highlands Backdrop 1).

Re posts #3466 robd, #3468 borderreiver, #3469 KotangaGirl and #3471 Cosplay many thanks for the compliments.
Good to see a selection of BR ER locos tailight98.

borderreiver, coal burning Royal Navy vessels would make for fierce sight when "brewing up", clag in abundance !!

LBSCR WIP TANE

Cheers, evilcrow

Really like the Forest Row station scene with the trams also, very nostalgic. Forest Row between Tun Wells West East Grinstead & Three Bridges. Horsham based Q class did some passenger work on that line early 50's when I lived in South East.

Back