Page 206 of 208 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208 LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 3113

Thread: UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Nice shots KotangaGirl. Why does other peoples work always seem to look so much better than your own? Peter

Quote Originally Posted by wilts747 View Post
    Nice shots KotangaGirl. Why does other peoples work always seem to look so much better than your own? Peter
    Thanks Peter. I think you'll find that most layout builders for Trainz think exactly the same as you. I constantly find myself thinking that what I'm doing isn't good enough and doesn't match up to the work other creators are doing. We can be our own worst critics sometimes.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Cheers, evilcrow

Excellent screenshots evilcrow.

Meanwhile I'm still lost somewhere in the mid-19th century.

#3079 - I don't know what Peter is talking about Annie. Your route have a lot of life an excitement to them from my own perspective! You won't see those incredible Cramptons one anyone else's route I can tell you that!

#3056 - Another excellent screenshot Evilcrow! I notice you discovered the joys of the E5 eh? One of my absolute favorites!! Have you gotten a chance to tinker with the N15X yet? Camscott really came through for me on that one - a fine locomotive indeed!!
    Tanker46

Member of TCWW - Developer of the Brighton Project

re post #3079 KotangaGirl
    A fine looking locomotive, the loco crew would have been a tad somewhat cold during the West Country winter weather.
    Thanks for the compliment.
    re post # 3080 Tanker46
    Thanks for the compliment and those Camscott locos you commissioned. I'll get around to the N15x in due course. Having a look at chrisaw's H16 at the moment.

Cheers, evilcrow

You're making me want to get back to working on my own Southern (ex-LSWR) line again evilcrow.

I own more than a few Crampton engines, but the ones that don't get taken out of my digital trainset box very often are the LCDR Cramptons. Slightly longer than the SER Cramptons I also own and with a domed boiler instead of a domeless boiler they are much the same design as the SER Cramptons. Like all my mid-19th century engines and rolling stock I purchased them from Paulz Trainz, but the LCDR Cramptons have never been listed on Paul's website and I had to ask Paul if he would sell me three of them. Unlike my SER Cramptons which are in three stages of weathering from slightly mucky to very mucky I could only get the LCDR Cramptons in pristine condition. It shouldn't have been a reason not to run them, but I just seem to prefer to run the SER Cramptons instead.
    Anyway I got them out today to have a proper look at them and you might see more of them from now on.

At Minehead on my WIP 1889 version of the branchline.

Between Minehead and Dunster. All this flat countryside is supposed to be criss-crossed with drainage channels, but I've been avoiding putting them in place.

A pause at Dunster. I still need to change the station platform.

Blue Anchor. Named after the Blue Anchor hotel near the coast. Another platform that needs to be changed for something more correct.

In the 1880's this whole area was almost completely deserted except for the hotel and a couple of farmsteads. After WW1 houses began to be built near the station.

On the way to Watchet.

And finally Stogumber. On the original TS2004 layout Stogumber was a mess and didn't look anything like how the station and its yard was supposed to be. So far this station has taken the most work to get sorted out, but I know in my bones that Watchet is going to be a lot worse.

Last edited by KotangaGirl; September 17th, 2020 at 03:35 AM. Reason: more to say

re post #3079 - The cold might not have been the issue we think it may have been. On the Stockton & Darlington Railway, the crews operating the line over Stainmore between Barnard Castle and Kirkby Stephen experienced atrocious weather over the winter. However, during 1862 when it was proposed to provide locomotives with enclosed cabs "in the American style" there was a revolt among the footplate crews! They called the proposal an assault on their masculinity, that they were in some way lesser men than on other lines to be so coddled! I think it was William Bouch who was behind the proposal and while the first two locos were provided with cabs, the following four did not have cabs. Mere weatherplates on those four. Proper cabs did not appear on all locomotives on the Stainmore line for around a generation, the late 1870s/early 1880s under the N.E.R. and Fletcher. While the S&DR was absorbed by the N.E.R. in 1863 Bouch remained in charge of locos on the S&DR lines and the S&DR operated almost as a separate entity, taking ten years before the N.E.R. fully took over the lines.
    Last edited by borderreiver; September 17th, 2020 at 03:42 AM. Reason: more to say

I have one of those Bouch 4-4-0s with the large 'American' cab Frank. I also have others with just the weatherboard. Paul has it tucked away on his website with his 19th century NBR stuff, - even though it's plainly not an NBR engine. Not a bad model all the same, though I haven't run my ones for ages ever since my railway interests disappeared off down south.

A Bouch 4-4-0 somewhat inexplicably hauling a train of chauldron wagons on my old Cairnrigg to Balessie Scottish route. After Frank mentioned William Bouch and his engines with an 'American' cab in post #3083 I went hunting for my Bouch engines, wiped them down, gave them a once over and gave them a run.
    It was nice to see this old layout of mine again, but there were a few spots where I had to sigh and shake my head over mistakes I'd made. I might do an updated version, but I'd still want to keep the landscape empty and lonely looking just as it is now.

Leaving Cairnrigg yard.

When I did the TS2019 version of this layout I could not get the cliffs at Cairnrigg to look as forbidding and frowning as they do in the TS2012 version.

Out of the tunnel and onwards to Rosstyre.

Passing through Rosstyre.

And then I messed up the next few screenshots so here's the last one with No.161 at Balessie yard.

United States of America, Texas, Dickinson

KotangaGirl,
    Those are really nice shots. It looks very desolate and unpopulated out there. You've captured that feeling well on the route.

The engine looks really nice, and I'd say the train crew looks a lot more comfortable in the "American" cab than they would be standing out in the open.

Nicely done!

Heinrich505

Very nice Annie. An 1860 design by Bouch and the 4-4-0 wheel arrangement would persist in employment on UK rails until the late 1950s. One, the Gresley D49 "Morayshire" remains in preservation to this day. However, your shot is of one of the earliest 4-4-0s to run in the UK, starting almost one hundred years of utilisation of the type. Several years ago I was lucky to visit the B&O museum in Baltimore. They were exhibiting "The War Came By Train" to commemorate 150 years since the American Civil War. If I recall correctly they had a 4-4-0 "American" loco on display from the late 1850s. I also rode on "the first mile" of track in the USA at the museum.

Thanks Heinrich. 'Cainrigg to Balessie' was a test track that somehow grew up to become a layout and it was the first layout I ever uploaded to the DLS. I really should give it a little tidy up and update it.
    Originally it was where I ran all my early 1850s and 1860s Edinburgh Railway engines and rolling stock and perhaps I should get back to doing that again and let the GWR have the Minehead branch back again.

The surprising thing about the Bouch 4-4-0 Frank is how modern it looks for 1860. It's certainly a landmark design and as you say 4-4-0s lasted into the final days of steam in the UK so they certainly were successful.
    I had a NER layout I built up in TS2009 and that's when I purchased the Bouch 4-4-0s from Paul so it's been a while since I last ran any of them.
    Last edited by KotangaGirl; September 18th, 2020 at 01:33 PM. Reason: more to say

Default Thompson Diagram 328 Compo in Carmine and Cream

I have been working my way through orders with Paul Mace to upgrade the Thompson carriages I commissioned quite a few years ago now. I had forgotten just how many diagrams I had Paul turn out. Here a 59ft 6in Corridor Composite to Diagram 328 in its lined carmine and cream livery, applied from 1950 onwards until 1956. Of course, as various contemporary photographs attest, not every carriage got carmine and cream in 1950. It was a process which took years. Unusually, the pressure ventilated carriages built for the premier named expresses such as "The Flying Scotsman" kept scumbled teak livery and white roofs until the spring of 1953.

The latest tweak is the application of the FIRST totems in the windows.
    This adds to the auto-couplers, night mode, upgraded bogies and HD numbers modifying the 2014-era originals.
    E18459 was the first of a batch of forty turned out of York works during 1950 for the "All Lines Register" (as opposed to the "East Coast Register"). E18459 - E18508.

Impressive locomotive Annie! I don't think I've ever seen a UK engine like that! Also nice choice on the name - it's the same as mine!
    Tanker46

Member of TCWW - Developer of the Brighton Project