UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

KotangaGirl,
That screen capture is classic. I had to laugh - is the castle that painful, or perhaps not pronounced the same? :hehe:

Trips to Mars? I'm guessing that is Mars UK, Freeby Lane, Melton Mowbray, UK, per a google earth search, although it looked pretty green and flat, not at all red as in the poster. ;) Misadvertising, perhaps...?

A very cool screenshot - got a good laugh out of it.

Heinrich505

Re post #3276 KotangaGirl and #3277 Amigacooke.
Thank you both for the compliment.

Re post #3282 KotangaGirl
A ticket Hopewood to Mars would need some working out by the Railway Clearing House (RCH) to allocate the ticket revenue to the various railway/space companies. Nice one Annie.

LBSCR WIP

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

KotangaGirl,
That screen capture is classic. I had to laugh - is the castle that painful, or perhaps not pronounced the same? :hehe:

The name is pronounced 'H-ing' Heinrich so not as in being painful. The poster is from a friend's model railway project to build a 'what-if' portion of the West Norfolk Railway.

Re post #3282 KotangaGirl
A ticket Hopewood to Mars would need some working out by the Railway Clearing House (RCH) to allocate the ticket revenue to the various railway/space companies. Nice one Annie.

Ha ha yes sorting out the ticketing would be a nightmare evilcrow.

Your screenshot of the triangular junction on your new WIP layout is excellent

Playing trains on my GER Norfolk layout. I don't give my SECR models a run very often so this was the day that the SECR visited Norfolk. (Purists please look away now.)

8w9zoFb.jpg

e0i5uQQ.jpg

SuSYR8b.jpg

Once Upon a Time in the North

Saturday and I am running some trains in Scotland, on IanoHoseason's Riccarton Junction route. It is circa 1920, post-WWI and early on a summer's afternoon. That does not stop it being cloudy.

The 10.50 am from Newcastle approaches Saughtree station on the Border Counties line on its way to Hawick. It is likely that no passengers will board the train but perhaps one might do so, such as a local farmer going to see their bank manager in Hawick. He will have under two hours in town. Hawick is reached at 2.04 pm and the last train to Saughtree leaves Riccarton Junction at 4.48 pm. To catch it he can board the up express between Edinburgh and Carlisle which calls at Hawick at 4.03 pm. Its next stop is at Riccarton at 4.32 pm. However, the 4.48 pm train for Saughtree actually starts at Hawick at 3.48 pm. It is the return working of the morning through train across the Border Counties line from Newcastle but has a long layover at Riccarton (4.22 - 4.48 pm). During this time it will be shunted in to the bay platform at the south end of the station. There is no road access to the railway settlement at Riccarton,. Missing the branch train means waiting for the last up stopping train between Riccarton junction and Steele Road at 6.54 pm. After alighting at Steele Road at 7pm there will then be up to a four and a half mile walk along narrow country roads to Saughtree.

Last edited:
Once Upon a Time in the North II

The 10.50 am through train from Newcastle to Hawick on its journey along IanoHoseason's Riccarton Junction route.

The train, in the hands of an N.B.R. Abbotsford 4-4-0 draws in to Saughtree station. There is no housing near by. Between Saughtree station and Larriston, halfway to Steele Road station on the Waverley line there are only around eighteen homes, mostly farms and those are mostly close by the Liddel Water towards Larriston. To the north and east of Saughtree station there is not a single house located within a mile of the station.

Running between Saughtree station and Riccarton. In the background above the loco the Waverley line can be seen.

The 10.50 am from Newcastle comes off the Border Counties line at Riccarton Junction, joining the Waverley line.

Waiting at Riccarton Junction's down platform as the 1.38 pm for Hawick, stopping at Shankend and Stobs en-route. Those two wayside stations only have three daily stopping trains in the down direction and four in the up direction.
Goods trains wait in both the down and up goods loops.

The 10.50 am from Newcastle gets away from Riccarton Junction with the 1.38 pm down stopping service for Hawick. An express between Carlisle and Edinburgh stops at Hawick at 2.28 pm, so passengers off the 10.50 am Newcastle train can reach Edinburgh by 3.54 pm. The journey time for a passenger travelling along N.B.R. metals between Bellingham, the largest settlement on the Border Counties line, and Edinburgh takes 3 hours 20 minutes to cover almost 91 miles. This is still over an hour and a half faster than going via Hexham, Newcastle and Berwick.

Last edited:
Excellent screenshots again Evilcrow! The engines look fantastic basking in the evening glow!

After gettung my son to go back to sleep I managed to find some time to take these - M7 131 out for a stroll along the Westacott 'High Street' branch! :)

I3L8Pkc.jpg
[/IMG]

g37km3n.jpg
[/IMG]

PFhpPLn.jpg
[/IMG]

6UzioN5.jpg
[/IMG]

121U9Ke.jpg
[/IMG]

nPrTHGS.jpg
[/IMG]

#3289 & #3290. IanoHoseason's Riccarton Junction route is an amazing piece of scenic modelling. Bare, remote and empty landscapes are the greatest modelling challenge and Riccarton Junction definitely wins the prize.
Thanks as always for your informative notes on your screenshots Frank.

#3291. Good to see more of your LBSC route evilcrow. Love the sky and the lighting in your screenshot.

#3292. More nice screenshots from you Tanker. Your 5th screenshot with the cricket match particularly appealed to me. My brother played cricket when he was in his late teens and it brought back memories of more unhurried times in my home town before the world went mad and 'progress' destroyed the peace and quiet..

Thanks Evilcrow & Annie. Good screenshots all. As bare, remote and empty as the landscape still is up there in the vicinity of Liddel Water it has actually changed somewhat since the 1920s. This is due to the planting of coniferous forests by the Forestry Commission.

An up unfitted goods train captured between Whitrope summit and Riccarton Junction. Some empty cattle wagons at the head of the train.

#3292. More nice screenshots from you Tanker. Your 5th screenshot with the cricket match particularly appealed to me. My brother played cricket when he was in his late teens and it brought back memories of more unhurried times in my home town before the world went mad and 'progress' destroyed the peace and quiet..[/COLOR]

Thank you for the kind words Annie. The cricket field is something I discovered completely by accident! That's one of the things I love the most about Dearnby and District - there are so many details that I am always discovering a new place to take a screenshot.

And I completely agree with that statement you made as well. "Progress" is a necessary part of life but progress for the sake of progress is a sure sign of madness. It's even worse here in the USA.

I like the idea of a single winding country track and a small mixed train pulled by a single 0-4-4T tank engine. Stopping at every station and halt before meeting up with the mainline further down. Thanks to the 0-4-4Ts you and Ed have made, I've been able to turn that fantasy into reality! (Well VIRTUAL reality at least.) :hehe:

Very sleepy at the moment so I'm not doing much. I have been running some trains on my Norfolk layout though.

No.7 approaching Windweather station with a local passenger train on the Windweather Loop Line on my somewhat alternative Norfolk layout. Windweather harbour is in the background of the screenshot.

DznT9BL.jpg

Excellent pictures, all, and thank you, Annie for your kind comments about Riccarton Junction. It was nice to see Frank’s shots, and thank you for the useful background information.
It must be time I did a bit more work as I have been a bit quiet lately, with a couple of projects on hold.
Best wishes
Ian

Back