UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Thanks both of you. The steam era, in Trainz at least, is all new to me.

Is anyone aware of the existence of signal pulleys? I've found some excellent point rodding and cranks but so far, no pulleys though I have fairly acceptable signal wires.

LBSCR in TANE

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Thanks both of you. The steam era, in Trainz at least, is all new to me.

Is anyone aware of the existence of signal pulleys? I've found some excellent point rodding and cranks but so far, no pulleys though I have fairly acceptable signal wires.
Recently someone else on the forum was looking for signal pulleys and had no joy. As far as I know there's only the signal wires made by a German creator on the DLS and nothing else available.

#3984. Brilliant Winter screenshots Ken. Possibly not quite so appealing for me at the moment since we've been having black frosts here lately.

Thanks for the kind comments. Shots are from a vaguely CJ Freezer "Minories" inspired route, built in the 'model railway' style, partly because it's appropriate to the design, and partly because there's half a chance it might get 'finished'....

That Urie is a seriously nice bit o' gear :)

Pls ignore the signals - placeholders!!

#3987. Your model railway style layout is very nice indeed clekev.

#3988. Wow. I really like your latest screenshot pfx.

I had no real luck with Dearnby & District as I find it too confusing to try and operate. Nothing at all wrong with the layout which is magnificent as ever it was, it's just me and my silly sleepy brain.
So what I did is download Restormel Castle into TANE and I'm going to work on that and see what I can do with it. A much more suitable choice for this country girl. Still early days yet so it's track repairs and fixing the strangely creative signalling.

DZWQZxN.jpg

vWa272c.jpg

Thanks all for the previous responses on carriages. Being more of a disiesel fan, this is unknown territory for me.

We're definitely glad to have you pfx! Your screenshots are superb as always!

But hey, if you're more comfortable with 'disiesels' here's some shots I know you'll like! :hehe:

T5LNaCS.jpg
[/IMG]

7gw3xzT.jpg
[/IMG]

Da2xwbi.jpg
[/IMG]

5uQB866.jpg
[/IMG]

b3p0UcK.jpg
[/IMG]

AWAsUL8.jpg
[/IMG]

Post #3970 - That Remembrance Tank looks grand Annie. I didn't know decapod ever made one. I remember his old site and that he made an Ilfracombe Goods, but the link to that was lost long before I ever got there. It must have been your toughest reskin challenge yet but you made it look six years younger with your texturing magic!

Post #3970 - That Remembrance Tank looks grand Annie. I didn't know decapod ever made one. I remember his old site and that he made an Ilfracombe Goods, but the link to that was lost long before I ever got there. It must have been your toughest reskin challenge yet but you made it look six years younger with your texturing magic!

Yes a moment's silence for decapod's Ilfracombe Goods (sigh).

Tanker, all I've done with decapod's 'Remembrance' is fix some strange config file errors, - otherwise it's as it was when I downloaded it from the Wayback Machine.
I also have some other older LBSC 'Baltic' tank models originally by sdark and subsequently worked on by cmburgess from Uk Branch Lines. These are nothing like as well finished and have a lot of problems. I think they might have been the ones you have seen before when I've posted the occasional picture of them.

This is the best looking of them all and the most audacious in lined BR black. I converted it into a meths fired pot boiler live steamer for use on my digital coarse scale 'O' gauge layouts. (Dearnby & District temporarily borrowed to take the snap)

svmqMsB.jpg

But hey, if you're more comfortable with 'disiesels' here's some shots I know you'll like!

Thanks. For someone who occasionally fires a kettle when there isn't the issue of a pandemic, I don't know much about the steam era and I'm finding it interesting creating a bit of it in Trainz. Fortunately I'm by-loco so I can switch between kettles and disiesels fairly easily. :D

A T26 'Intermediate' at Moxbury. I'm so thrilled to bits to be able to write those words. My Norfolk layout has been moved into TRS19 SP3 and that's where it's going to stay from now on. Lots of work needed to make it look pretty again, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

ebWyBZ3.jpg

1933 - A D49 and a J21 on a Bradford - Whitby Excursion

Good looking loco Annie. More great work from Edh6.
While searching the Railway Magazine archive about Whitby I came across a January 1934 "Pertinent Paragraphs" feature reporting on a letter received from a Mr. R.D.I. Scott concerning the use of L.N.E.R. 3-cylinder 4-4-0s of the "Hunt" and "Shire" classes around Whitby during the preceding summer. In other words, the Gresley D49. The following screenshots are based on his letter but I have chosen to substitute a J21 0-6-0 for a H&B J23 0-6-0 since I don't have a former H&B J23.

The writer, while travelling behind No. 256 Hertfordshire on Whitby to Pickering line, witnessed the loco slip violently on the 1 in 49 grade south of Grosmont with 6 bogie coaches, and coming to a stand. The only way to proceed turned out to be to divide the train in order to get the portions to Goathland, losing 25 minutes in the process. Three excursion trains travelled one Sunday, September 3rd from Bradford, and were brought by No. 247, 269 and 283, respectively The Blankney, The Cleveland and The Middleton. They were noted staying at the head of their train at Whitby Town station. Come the evening and the return, A J23 was attached to what was temporarily, the rear of the train and departed with the J23 leading and the D49 at the rear. Each 8-coach train was worked up the bank to Whitby West Cliff where the J23 ran around the train so it would become the pilot locomotive for the steeply graded route to Scarborough. The writer explitly mentiond further assistance being required in the rear at the 1 in 39 Ravenscar bank so that implies there were THREE locomotives working one excursion at that point. The writer does not enlighten us as to what loco provided the assistance.

The J23 leads the Bradford-bound excursion up the bank towards Prospect Hill Jcn and Whitby West Cliff.

The D49 brings up the rear of the excursion.

The J21 leads on arrival in to Whitby West Cliff station where it will run around the train.
Last chance until maybe Malton or even York for a toilet break unless the excursion stops at Londesborough Road excursion station to release the J21,
Make it quick as the train will be on its way south in under ten minutes.

After the J21 runs round the train at West Cliff it is now in the lead as the pilot, seen here taking the Scarborough line at Prospect Hill Junction.

The J21 and D49 with their train approach the signal for the section over Larpool Viaduct. They may have already have the token for the section or have to wait for a northbound train to enter the down line at the junction.

The J21 and D49 on the section to Larpool viaduct, passing beneath the footbridge.

The writer went on to mention that during the summer on the coastal line north to Brotton and Saltburn a temporary block post and crossing place was put in place at Sandsend to shorten the section between Whitby and Kettleness.
This was in order to cope with the very heavy summer traffic. When I look at the 25 inch map for Sandsend I doubt that the passing place was actually at Sandsend station, but might have been at the goods sidings a distance to the south, past two iron viaducts. This might have been done by slewing one goods spur and installing a set of points (a switch) at the northern end. There was probably no platform(s) built here, the single platform station retaining its use with one train in section.

Last edited:
Plenty of excellent routes , info and screenshots these last few days.
One can hear the trash from Whitby !!

LBSCR TANE

Cheers, evilcrow

Pfx and Ken, splendid shots.
The Bulleid 0-6-0s were quite an interpretation of an austerity loco.
Not just the thrash at Whitby, the station master at West Cliff had to have a word after hearing some rather colourful language from one of the footplate crew of the J21, probably a "lathered" fireman.
Seems that he may have shocked some ladies from the Bradford excursion who stepped out of the 5 compartment brake third and caught his cursing while down in the four foot trying to uncouple the loco.
That is not in the article by the way, that is me improvising.....

Last edited:
#3992. The T26's are starting to make their way out into the world. Nice leafy snap clekev.

#3995. Excellent tales from Whitby Frank. I bet the footplate crews had a few choice things to say about having to deal with those excursion trains.

#3996. Oh my word pfx, - your snaps from Trecoll Bay just keep getting better and better.

#3997. And to round things off a pair of excellent screenshots from you Ken. The Bulleid 0-6-0s were certainly difficult to mistake for anything else.

Last edited:
re post #3994 KotangaGirl
Good luck with the move to TRS19 SP3, edh6's superb locos are the incentive I presume, nice shot BTW.
re post #3996 pfx
Looking good, nice shots and route.
re post #3998 borderreiver.
Goodly tale of the 'salty' language.

LBSCR TANE.

Cheers, Ken

Nice shots everyone & Interesting info as well. Also rare to see a Q1 here. Before they appeared the most powerful 0-6-0 was the ex GER J20.

That Q1 is working hard Ken.
I think that it was Tanker46 asking about SR coaches on the LNER a while ago. Well, this week I have tripped over two references to SR coaches on the LMSR, but during WWII. The first reference was in the book On LMSR Routes in August 1944 where an express on the N. Wales line bound for Llandudno jcn had a clearly SR Corridor coach behind the tender. The author thought that it might be a troop train but an article from the Railway magazine archive from Nov/Dec 1944 indicates that during the latter part of WWII some carriages were wandering far and wide.

Aug 1944 - 9.30 am Bristol Temple Meads - Paddington, carriage behind the tender an ex-Caledonian Railway "Grampain Corridor" 12-wheel Corridor Composite as used on the Glasgow - Aberdeen service in 1904!
Aug 1944 - the same train as above, - the rear two carriages were noted as "modern" LNER corridor carriages (Gresley end-vestibule type?).
"Many" foreign carriages noted in GWR expresses, mainly LMSR types.
GWR carriages noted as far north as the Highlands of Scotland.
Aug 1944 - 2.30 pm Down Liverpool relief left Euston "made up of a set of ten spick and span Southern Railway corridor coaches with a couple of LMSR "extras". Similar carriages have been noted on the Manchster service."
"There are few passenger coach sidings around the principal cities of the country in which it is not possible to see passenger coaches of all four groups."
A Mr Burrel of Derby reported that in the coach in which he travelled from Derby to Bristol a notice inside said "To passengers travelling beyond Achnasheen" indicating the coach had recently been running between Dingwall and Kyle of Localsh!

During WWII it seems that like the goods common user wagons, a coach from the SR, GWR, LMSR or LNER could show up almost anywhere in the UK.

Back