UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

AlyZiWK.jpg

e2H92jj.jpg

Re posts KotangaGirl, Tanker46 and tailight98

Lots of interesting locos and layouts from you.

I continue getting to grips with TRS19. I've been using ImEditor and the env_metal.tga to reduce the matt finish on pre TRS19 build locos and coaching stock. It's a slow process.

TRS19

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers. Ken

Pleased you are getting to grips with TS19 Ken & very nice picture of A1 Pacific. Like the dry tall grass along the fence adding character. That is something I must pay more attention to. I just worry it will slow my frame rates down should I get carried away but I liek thje detail.

1910 - Ferryhill - An NER R Class on the 8.45am York to Newcastle

Summer 1910, the 8.45am York stopping passenger train for York gets away from Ferryhill station in County Durham at 10.50 am.

Number 124, a Fletcher 124 Class 0-6-0T (LNER Class J76) built in 1881 stands in the adjacent bay platform with the 10.54 am Ferryhill to Castle Eden branch passenger train. The remaining seven weekday trains on the line in 1910 ran through to Hartlepool via West Hartlepool station. Something must have made the usual rostered BTP Steam Autocar unavailable, such as being away at works, to press the 124 Class in to service. Normally a goods engine, No.124 received Westinghouse brake by 1903 (probably as early as 1900) but did not receive steam heating equipment until 1910. During the early years of the 20th century, No. 124 was known to have hauled the sparse twice daily passenger train to Coxhoe on the former Clarence Railway branch. Passenger services on that line ceased in 1902.

The R Class (LNER Class D20) was a stalwart on the NER's "main line sets" running along the East Coast Main Line. Do not confuse the term "main line set" with express passenger set. the 20 "main line sets" were non-corridor sets formed of 52ft bogie carriages, predominantly, but not exclusively, clerestory roof carriages. While they could be seen as far north as Edinburgh and as far south as York, they were not confined to running on the ECML. They could also be seen each day at Alnwick, Bishop Auckland, Bridlington, Consett, Middlesbrough, Normanton, Richmond, South Shields, Sunderland, West Hartlepool and even Waterhouses. in the 1925 roster set No.8 worked the 8.40 am from York, arriving Newcastle at 11.00am, so I think that it is a reasonable extrapolation to believe that in 1910 set No.8 was rostered to the 8.45 am from York. The 9.45am express passenger train from York to Glasgow, formed of corridor stock, and which left Leeds at 9.00 am, probably passed the 8.45am train at Darlington by 10.28 am (the time the 8.45am departed Darlington for its next stop at Bradbury).

Re posts KotangaGirl, Tanker46 and tailight98

Lots of interesting locos and layouts from you.

I continue getting to grips with TRS19. I've been using ImEditor and the env_metal.tga to reduce the matt finish on pre TRS19 build locos and coaching stock. It's a slow process.

TRS19

<picture snipped>

Cheers. Ken

Well you've certainly mastered the use of IM Editor there Ken. With a bit of practice and persistence it's possible to end up with a result that's almost as good as as hi-tech PBR. I still have a few of my older legacy engines left to convert over to TRS19.
As for the rest of your screenshot it's very nice indeed and I like it a lot.

#4724. Is that 'Q' class by Jay Holland? A nice Summery screenshot there tailight.

#4727. I'm not sure what's the best there Frank; - your screenshot, or the informative paragraphs that accompany it.

Last edited:
That P43 is looking great Annie! I can't believe how good those GER 6 Wheelers look! Rob really outdid himself with them! :)

Quick Update on the Brighton Route - Started constructing North Couldson but ran out of reference materials so instead I'm filling out Merstham Town! It's definitely easier to handle than the massive quantities of shops in Redhill and I've already got the south end pretty much done!

QQOFv8T.jpg
[/IMG]

KgV6DiG.jpg
[/IMG]

hlytZCm.jpg
[/IMG]

Qw7MagT.jpg
[/IMG]

Shoutout to Masontaylor for his awesome hollow shop buildings! I'm just discovering these now and they are amazing! I'm going to use these a ton when I start modeling South London - they're perfect for it!!

8sCY9Mf.jpg
[/IMG]

VyBOadS.jpg
[/IMG]

n3NWnv0.jpg
[/IMG]

WsoEPhu.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi Annie, The Q in my pic is by Stepney55 who posts here from time to time. I also have the Jay Holland version with BR type chimney. This one has the original doublle round chinmey Bulleid type.

Thanks for that tailight. Somehow I missed seeing the Q class on Stepney55/Conner's website. Nice that you found a 'Q' to match your memories of the class.

#4729. Wow Tanker, that's some serious town building you've got going on there. Masontaylor has done some seriously amazing work with his buildings and his hollow shop buildings are a particularly inspired piece of work.

#4730. I like what you've done with the Merstham/ Quarry Line Tunnels. They are an impressive piece of work.

1910 - A NER R Class on the ECML

A bit more on the 8.45am stopping passenger train from York to Newcastle.

Above, Passing beneath the overhead signal box at Ferryhill.

Entering the deep cutting north of Ferryhill station.

Transitioning from the slow lines from Ferryhill to the ECML at Tursdale Junction.

Running at speed between Tursdale junction and the level crossing at Hett.

There are two additions to main line set No.8, both at the head of the train outside the leading 52ft Diagram 130 elliptical roof 3-comartment bogie Van Third. One is a 32ft Diagram 21 arc roof 6-wheel Van but what is the bogie carriage acting as a strengthener? Usually, in the 1926 roster a strengthening Third Class carriage is coded as "WT", meaning it could be either a 45ft bogie carriage, a 49ft bogie carriage or a 52ft bogie carriage. Actually it was really a choice of 49ft or 52ft since there were very few 45ft bogie carriages. The 45ft type was specifically built by the NER to work services between Malton and Whitby via Grosmont due to the curvature of the line.

So, a 52ft Diagram 127 or a 49ft Diagram 178? I have seen a couple of photographs where the authors of articles state the strengthener is a 52ft Diagram 127, but at speed, and at a distance how to tell the difference between 49ft and 52ft carriages which shared an exterior outline? In my personal opinion I believe that they have a better than 50-50 chance of being wrong in choosing a Diagram 127. The NER built 87 Diagram 127s between 1906 and 1909, but built 464 Diagram 178s between 1909 and the grouping. A further 12 were built by the LNER in 1923 for the Southern Scottish section. Even in 1910 there were 62 of them and the numbers were rapidly expanding. By 1912 there would be 185 of them. They were built specifically for use as strenghteners and for use in rakes for excursion and charter traffic, such as race or football specials.

Great stuff from Ken, Tanker and Annie as usual. Acknowledgements and thanks can run to oscar acceptance speech levels.

Last edited:
Wonderful items from you all on this page, as borderreiver states "Acknowledgements and thanks can run to oscar acceptance speech levels."

TRS19

IMEditor and env.tga at work

Cheers, Ken

Wonderful items from you all on this page, as borderreiver states "Acknowledgements and thanks can run to oscar acceptance speech levels."

TRS19

IMEditor and env.tga at work

Cheers, Ken

Many thanks Ken. And may I say that N5 is looking astounding with your gorgeous upgrades to the mesh

The massive influx of UK Content is certainly warming my heart as things look very bright for future English Projects. :)

Great stuff from Ken, Tanker and Annie as usual. Acknowledgements and thanks can run to oscar acceptance speech levels.

And a special thanks to you Frank! Your incredible advice and breathtaking NER Screenshots are what helped me get the SR Project to where it is today. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you and so many others!

#4729. Wow Tanker, that's some serious town building you've got going on there. Masontaylor has done some seriously amazing work with his buildings and his hollow shop buildings are a particularly inspired piece of work.

#4730. I like what you've done with the Merstham/ Quarry Line Tunnels. They are an impressive piece of work.

Thanks a bunch as always Annie! To be honest, I'm not sure if I built the Quarry Line Tunnel correctly, but I don't have any photos of the North End to go off of. The Quarry Line Tunnel is supposed to be set on a higher level then the Merstham Tunnel but it's still situated in a cutting - can you believe that? It's mind boggling!!

I've alway been a fan of Mason's work but I have never delved deep enough into his building projects to discover his shops. The detail of grime and weathering is perfect for emulating a huge industrial sector like South London. Just chalk all the "doubles" of certain shops up to having a very successful business chain! :hehe:

Hi Annie, The Q in my pic is by Stepney55 who posts here from time to time. I also have the Jay Holland version with BR type chimney. This one has the original doublle round chinmey Bulleid type.

Connors Q Class is an excellent loco. He's done wonders with his NER Pack, Q6 Class, Cardiff Tank and LSWR T1 as well. I'm continuously impressed by his skills!!

Funny you should say that about the Q Class though Tailight because I totally forgot I put money down for Camscott to make one of those and I have been sitting on it for a couple months now! I guess route building really got me distracted huh? Boy is my face red! :D

I got one more "SR Standard" commission planned before years end - as to which one that is, I leave that up to your imagination. :hehe:

Last edited:
Great shots, Tanker46. Your progress is always fun to see. I see it was laundry day - I'm sure the steam engines made a mess of things, eh? :eek:

Ken, another great shot as well. Your engine really stands out nicely. The details look great!

Borderreiver, always a treat to read your commentaries and enjoy the stories to go with the screenshots. So very well done!

Regards,
Gary

#4733. I've always had a soft spot for the N.E.R. 'R' class (LNER D20) locomotives Frank. Weren't these nicknamed 'Railcrushers' by their crews? - or am I thinking of another N.E.R. loco class.

#4734. Nice snapshot of an N5 (ex GCR 9F) on an empty stock working Ken. You've done a good job of making the N5 look like a cared for locomotive that works for its living with just the right touch of a patina to look realistic.

I gave Ed's new GER T19 a test run down the joint line on my Norfolk layout with the mail train. It's a sweet running engine and it's certainly going to be useful.

rE5Qt9u.jpg

MXFVtTR.jpg

IWm9MGa.jpg

Good shots, Annie. The mail car with the mail pouches hanging and ready for catching looks perfect. I love the detail on that car. :cool:

Of course the T19 looks really sharp! Your route looks very polished. Nicely done.

Regards,
Gary

@evilcrow I have and use IM editor but I can’t seem to find anything about the eva_metal.tga application. A google just comes up with garbage. Mind giving me a link to it?

Back