UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Passenger Locals in North West Leicestershire

A Fowler 2P and Mk1s entering Coalville:
view_media_post
Fowler-2P-Entering-Coalville-Station.jpg

The same consist arriving in Swannington:

Fowler-2P-at-Swannington-Halt.jpg

Lastly an Ivatt and Mk1s stopped at Swannington:

Ivatt-Stopped-at-Swannington.jpg

Some good shots by KotangaGirl, pogbellies and borderreiver.

Interesting Sentinal Steam Railcar in shot #2482 by borderreiver, I'm curious about the name 'TIMES' on the vehicle?

Rob.

The more you show us of your Leicestershire route the better it gets pogbellies.

#2482. That Sentinel Steam Railcar is certainly interesting. Pity they are far too modern for my layouts. Plainly the 'TIMES' one is a bit posh Rob and the one to avoid is the one named 'DAILY MIRROR'.
Seriously though there were around eighty of them of various types and they all were named. More can be found about them here: -
https://www.lner.info/locos/Railcar/sentinel.php

Thanks for the link KotangaGirl. I'm not proud, I'll admit I read the Mirror as I don't aspire to looking at the pictures in the Times!

Rob.

Borderreiver where did you get that Sentinel railcar from please? Incidentally they were named, as were the Claytons, after stagecoaches. One of the Clayton railcars had the delightful name of Bang Up!

Thanks for the link KotangaGirl. I'm not proud, I'll admit I read the Mirror as I don't aspire to looking at the pictures in the Times!

Rob.
I have an on-line subscription to the 'Telegraph' myself, but I avoid reading any of the clickbait sensationalist stuff.

Hello Rob

Regarding post #2484 - "TIMES" was a Diagram 97 six-cylinder geared Sentinel Railcar named after an 18th Century stagecoach (I don't know where the stage coach operated).

According to Yeadon's Register Volume 12: Works number 7740, new to traffic 29 October 1929 and condemned 28 October 1944. Allocated to Heaton shed (HTN) until 23 October 1940, when it moved to Whitby shed (WBY). The window bars were to protect passengers when the driver was collecting a single line tablet pouch.

The RCTS Locomotives of the LNER part 10B reports that it was part of a batch of 34. "TIMES", "DILLIGENCE" and "INDEPENDENT" went to Heaton shed. In July 1932 Heaton shed had four Sentinel and six Clayton Railcars but only three duties, due to the fact that the Clayton cars were considered as unsuitable, even if available, with only one duty on which the Clayton cars could be used. One of the Heaton Sentinels (probably a six-cylinder one) had a very unusual duty from time to time. That was to convey the Durham Miners' Convalescent Home Committee from Durham to Ulverston, where they visited the home maintained by contributions from Durham coal miners. This ran on Fridays. The car ran ECS from Heaton to Durham, where the working started. This would go via Bishop Auckland, West Auckland, Barnard Castle, the Stainmore route, Tebay and Carnforth. After depositing the committee at Ulverston the car would move ECS to Barrow shed until the return working on Sundays. The distance of 104 miles and lack of onboard lavatory meant that "convenience" stops were made at Barnard Castle, Kirkby Stephen and Tebay. The opportunity to take water for the boiler was also taken. The service operated several times between 1935 and 1939. An LMSR Conductor was supplied for the Tebay to Barrow section.

Last edited:
Lots of good shots and reading on this thread. Thank you borderreiver for your knowledge and wonderful shots.

Old route by me, new computer but Windows 10.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Post #2492 - It is so good to have you back Evilcrow! Your screenshots are as stunning as always with a beautiful entrance of 60156! The Peppercorn A1s are a fantastic sight to behold!

Screenshots from my Cornwall layout in TANE. Bugle Collery's resident shunter is heading out to St. Blazey with the shed's monthly allocation of coal. On its way to the junction it happens by my favorite Grange Class No. 6870 Bodicote Grange.

RgpRDMr.jpg
[/IMG]

Spg9Kf0.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
1920@ Amble junction, Northumberland

A summer's day at Amble junction, Northumberland. A North Eastern Railway B Class 0-6-2T pauses with a rake of empty coal hoppers from the port of Amble.

Amazing screenshots Annie! Seeing progress on your routes is always a treat and I really am loving the dusk screenshots!

A little bit of the Fellhall and Moorhurst - Camscott beat me to the punch and released a new model of the LBSCR E2 Class. It works very well running autotrains on the Pre-Grouping version of the layout!

yF52fHx.jpg
[/IMG]

5eqe6CM.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks. Nice pictures of your own line there too Tanker. Camscott makes seriously nice engines and by the look of it the E2 is no exception.

9znjiZj.jpg

Last edited:
Norfolk is looking splendid as always Annie! Its my favorite route of yours besides the Hopewood Tramway!

Out of curiosity, what class of locomotive is a "Sharpie"? I feel like I've heard the name somewhere before and it looks reminiscent of a N5 or N8 class but I just can't put my finger on it.

Last edited:
Thanks very much Tanker.

'Sharpie' is the nickname for locomotives made by Sharp Stewart & Co. They supplied locomotives to a number of pre-grouping railways and the case of my particular 'Sharpies' the Barry Railway in Wales. Other companies such as the Taff Vale and the Furness Railway had Sharp Stewart locomotives. The GWR Swindonised them of course after 1924 which makes it a bit difficult to find a picture on the interwebs of one in original condition. They were good locomotives and generally had long lives with four of the Barry Railway engines lasting into BR ownership.

My ones are old models by Paulz Trainz. Very simple and basic as compared with later engines made for Trainz, but I like them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Railway_Class_B1

Last edited:
Back