UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Well, it's kind of a complicated story. A friend of mine works with the guys who do the Thomas the Tank Engine Trainz Content and he recently undertook an enormous project of modeling every piece of rolling stock seen in the show. However, he took it even farther and started designing real scale rolling stock from the books and the actual prototypes on British Railways.

From what I know he planned the project in two phases - Wagons for 2019 and Coaches for 2020. All of the wagon packs will be released by the Christmas, but he's made some pretty good models for prototypical use such as the GUVs CCTs, TPOs and yes even the Mk1s. They use a script that allows you to switch between the first and third class types as well as the different BR liveries.

Here's some samples:

Ooz1w57.jpg
[/IMG]

ggmbQ3C.jpg
[/IMG]

ddfAnkQ.jpg
[/IMG]

gfyPRTN.jpg
[/IMG]

3949Dso.jpg
[/IMG]

i7HSO2Y.jpg
[/IMG]

PZZmLBL.jpg
[/IMG]

0Nl672l.jpg
[/IMG]

I know he plans on making Hawksworth Autocoaches as well but I don't know too much beyond that. He's been working on the project all year and everyone is super excited about it. He's currently looking for diagrams for coaching stock so I'm trying to supply him with them the best I can, but I'll PM him and see what he says. He'll be pretty happy that people are taking an interest in it! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for response, I suspect people will be very interested in this project! Regarding the Mk1s, the question will be whether they are actually an improvement on mike10's versions issued in 2008 for the release of TC3, ideally of the quality of the Railwaves Mk1 open coaches produced as payware around the same time (though sadly no longer available).

Paul

Paul - I've offered the Railwaves meshes and my research material via Tanker46 as a starting point if the creator is serious about building a comprehensive and accurate range of Mk 1s.

Believe it or not they date back to 2005, but re-skinned and normal-mapped they scrub up okay in TRS19.

49263229616_71783b5168_k.jpg

I haven't heard a definite word back about the Mk1s yet but I think it might be a really amazing project to under take! :)

Also, I've heard rumors about this "Railwaves" content. I hear their Manor Class pack was legendary. Can anyone explain to me what kinds of content they offered?

Any up to date late grouping era and BR Mk1, Mk2a/b/c and Mk3/3a coaching stock is something the sim could really do with IMHO.

Railwaves never released a Manor pack. There were a couple (7820/7828) included with the West Somerset Railway pack, but they were TRS2004 era conversions of MSTS models. The propertions were correct goed though and they still do look good from a distance, but lack the detail expected these days close up. The cab is still better than many available today though :)

Anthony

Paul - I've offered the Railwaves meshes and my research material via Tanker46 as a starting point if the creator is serious about building a comprehensive and accurate range of Mk 1s.
The Railwaves Mk1s were definitely a landmark and it's a great shame they weren't developed further, for example the more ubiquitous corridor versions rather than the open versions initially offered. Not surprised they still look good in TRS19 as they had lots of detail, but lack modern features, like LOD. Would be fantastic if someone was willing to take them on and develop them further.

Any up to date late grouping era and BR Mk1, Mk2a/b/c and Mk3/3a coaching stock is something the sim could really do with IMHO.
Totally agree Anthony, I've been saying this for a decade!

Paul

Railwaves never released a Manor pack. There were a couple (7820/7828) included with the West Somerset Railway pack, but they were TRS2004 era conversions of MSTS models. The propertions were correct goed though and they still do look good from a distance, but lack the detail expected these days close up. The cab is still better than many available today though :)

Anthony

Regardless, I would love to see them one day. Chrisaw's locos were made with less detail but they hold up amazingly well in TANE and TS2019 so I imagine that the Manors would be able to do the same given a little tweaking and tinkering with. I was about 12-13 when 2006 came out so I missed Railwaves and didn't even know it existed until a year ago. If I had known I would have bought their content in a heartbeat! I have talked to my friend and he said that he would be interested once his coach project is done. He's got a lot on his plate so to speak but if he is not interested I may take the project up once I finish my E2 and USA Tank models.

Speaking of his content, he released a huge pack of random rolling stock for Christmas! Although some of it is geared towards the TTTE crowd, there are some pretty accurate SR pieces such as the Maunsell CCT Vans, SECR conflats, and 25t Pillbox brakevans! They've all found a home on the Fellhall and Moorhurst Line in TANE!

3XyKzUz.jpg
[/IMG]

VOMivCU.jpg
[/IMG]

TPSmuvO.jpg
[/IMG]

Would you have a link to where your friend's rolling stock can be found Tanker? And Merry Christmas and all the best to you and your family for the New Year.

Sure thing Annie! (And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too! ;)) The rolling stock is organized into different packs as follows:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GPq08f-zZCvlR_oNQttVOh921e1SzIKx/view

- This is the RWS Pack. It contains the MK1s, CCTS, GUVS and other content. It might not be completely accurate but I find most of the content to be pretty close in relevance.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-wYlY_5iF_ZOdCEunTjCUHywL1E4uSVc/view

This one is the "TVS" pack. It contain a lot of different stock including LBSCR 8T and LNWR 6T Vans that are useful for Pre-Grouping layouts. However please keep in mind that a lot of this content has been lifted from the TTTE Show and may not be exactly accurate.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy the models as I have! Happy hunting! :)

Paulsw2;1785617Not surprised they still look good in TRS19 as they had lots of detail said:
They were ahead of their time Paul, and built with three levels of LOD. It's a shame sales weren't good enough to justify further releases at the time but it does seem that as far as most Trainzers are concerned, if it has the right number of wheels. and is roughly the right shape and colour then it it will do...

49286473897_096120db7f_k.jpg

Flashback to October 2011 and D7523 works a down train near Eastcombe on the WSR.

Last edited:
Thanks very much Frank. Still quite a lot to do on the layout, but it's certainly coming together and looking like I want it to.

Push-pull set on the branchline near Eastlingwold.

WGG2dZw.jpg

Eastlingwold looks so great Annie! It's so nice to see the little terriers getting out and about! :) I look forward to seeing more of your line in the future!

A few screenshots from the F&M line again - I am working on a separate version of the route designed in the "Preservation Era". Already seems to be a familiar site from the MSJWR..

Eu6osK9.jpg
[/IMG]

Both the U Class and the H15 Class from my previous shots have found their way into heritage ownership! The rusted metals and cold sidings of Cashmore's have not been kind to these two but luckily both have been purchased as part of the Moorhurst fleet. At the moment there are only two steam locomotives and a couple of diesel locomotives operating on the branch but that should change with these two in restoration!

0AKkBYr.jpg
[/IMG]

Along with the E1R 30940, G6 No. 30277 is the major attraction for the F&M. It operates most days and even runs a small suburban service during regular school hours. I am sorry to say that quite a few schooldchildren are late as they dawdle at the platform after arrival to take the number of this spritely little engine!

Oh! Happy New Year Everyone!!

Last edited:
Thanks Tanker. It's really nice when building a route when it all finally comes together and starts looking like it's supposed to. I have five Terriers on the line now and they have all been fettled to run their best especially if I want to drive them on the 'advanced' steam control set. Very handy they are too for doing all kinds of small jobs on the line and they also have full route availability over the old wooden bridges on the coastal sections of the line. The only section they don't work over is the Hopewood Tramway because they don't meet tramway regulations with their uncovered wheels and lack of those fittings that tramway regulations require an engine to have.

That's an interesting idea having a preservation era version of your line. It would certainly give you an excuse to run a wider variety of engines and rolling stock than the original layout would have ever seen.

Ah! That makes sense about the terriers! I am not too familiar with tramways but I can understand that would certainly make sense in highly populated areas like East Anglia or Glyn Valley.

I am surprised to hear that this new route is actually connected to the Hopewood Tramway! Your screenshots of that route are some of my favorites! I have to wonder if there is a possibility of an interchange station between the two lines?

In regards to Fellhall and Moorhurst, I am working on a version of the line in TANE for each period of operation (Pre-Grouping, Grouping, Nationalization, and Preservation). The Pre-Grouping is the hardest because of my lack of knowledge in what was considered appropriate at that time period!

One more screenshot, the F&M wouldn't be complete with out its resident mascot....

fSHA1k1.jpg
[/IMG]

Maunsell E1R Class No.30940 has been with the line nearly since its opening. Out of all the locomotives it is by far the favorite of tourists and onlookers. Here we see it strolling through Steyning Station on a morning suburban run to Moorhurst - the townsfolk may have to wake up a bit earlier but it sure beats taking the bus! ;)

The pre-grouping era isn't so difficult Tanker, if you start with everything built after 1924 is out as your guiding principle you can get more specific as to the details as you go along and learn more railway history. The only problem is that for some of the pre-grouping railway companies almost nothing is available. That's why I sort of went mad a bit and made all the pre-grouping rolling stock that's now on the DLS.

Terriers are very handy for imaginary pre-grouping railways like mine as many of them were sold to minor railway companies by the LBSC and by various convoluted means one or two even ended up working on mainline companies such as the GWR and the LSWR.

My patch of Norfolk has slowly grown larger as time has gone on so while the Hopewood Tramway is still very much a part of it all other minor lines have gradually been added to my layout as time has gone on. It takes about an hour to travel from one end of the layout to the other now so it's all a bit bigger now than it was to start with.

Last edited:
Back