UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

re post #1702 KotangaGirl

Nice one Anne, looks like a Thames barge in the background.

aKP Somewhere ScR (a WIP)

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

A Thames barge might be a bit far from home along the Norfolk coast, but I think I can get away with it Ken.

I do like your wharf and masontaylor's tramp steamers have to be the best ship models available for Trainz. The steamer in my screenshot is one of Steve Flander's and I chose it because it's from an earlier time period than mansontaylor's ships.

Great shots everyone! Wasn't the main job of Thames barges to sail to the fens and collect agricultural goods?

I recall a TV program on the BBC about a restored 19th century sailing barge and that was on the River Humber. It might not have (technically) been a "Thames barge" but there were sailing barges carrying out estuarine and coastal trade by sea in the 19th century and early 20th century. I think that both suffered severely during the World Wars, due to both the shortage of manpower, the extensive presence of coastal minefields, u-boat attacks (by torpedo and minelaying) enemy deployment of aerial mines (WWII) and e-boat attacks (WWII).

The sailing barge on my layout has the look of what was called a 'bully boy', but such sailing vessels worked a steadily diminishing coastal trade right up into the 1930s. And yes Ed I do believe they worked the fen waterways which is why I was happy enough to place one in my Norfolk harbour.

SRMeYDT.jpg

York, 1914 - the ECJS 2:20 pm for Edinburgh

Summer 1914 and GNR Ivatt C1 Atlantic brings the 2:20 p.m. East Coast Joint Passenger Express from Kings Cross to Edinburgh over Chaloner's Whin junction to the south of York.

This train was unofficially named "The Afternoon Scotch Express" and since it was bound only for Edinburgh it boasted a dedicated First Class carriage, a 1908 diagram 58 elliptical roof Gresley vehicle. Most Third Class passengers were accomodated in relatively new elliptical roof carriages of the same standard as the 1914 10 a.m. "Scotch Express" (later named by the LNER as "The Flying Scotsman"). The catering triple set of carriages (RF, RTP and TO) were clerestory roof vehicles but certainly sufficiently prestigious for the service. The Diagram 77A RF had been recently rebuilt with larger windows.

Wonderful screenshot of a pair of hard working engines at #1709 Ken.

And a great nor'eastern screenshot at #1711 from you too Frank.

Windweather Tramway, somewhere on the Norfolk coast north of Yarmouth.

QYHe2GM.jpg

Last edited:
Re posts # 1711/1712/1713 Borderreiver & KotangaGirl

Most interesting stuff.

Cheers, evilcrow

Thanks Ken. Having been interested in the 'Norf' for a long time and made a few attempts at representing it it seems that suddenly East Anglia got under my skin and that's the area of the UK that I want to model now.

et9I1hb.jpg

Because of Brexit I might need to change my name to Britmodeller :)

I've started my first fictional BR route, based in the late 1950s/Early 1960s in ex LMS territory.

I was not happy with the look of some BR stuff in TANE, but in TRS19, WOW! what an improvement.

Progress so far..

Revelhead Viaduct

Revelhead-Viaduct.jpg

Halton Viaduct

Halton-Viaduct.jpg

A Fowler 2P on the Halton Curve coming out of Halton town..

Ex-LMS-2P-on-the-Halton-Town-Curve.jpg

Re: #1718 Your last screenshot is a real classic, - two coaches behind a 4-4-0, leafy shade from the trees, - it all looks very nice indeed Graham.
Those two viaducts are going to look very impressive once all the scenic work is done.

re post # 1717 KotangaGirl

Nice one Anne, makes one think of summer hols long past.

re post # 1718 euromodeller

Looking good, you show TRS19 to good advantage.

Thank you edh6 for the latest Gresley coach.

Cheers, evilcrow

re post # 1717 KotangaGirl

Nice one Anne, makes one think of summer hols long past.

Cheers, evilcrow

Thanks Ken. A number of other folk from the Uk have said the same thing to me which makes me very pleased that I've managed to create this coastal landscape in such a convincing fashion despite living thousands of miles away in New Zealand.

With post #1720 Ed's new coach does look very fine, but it's set off well by the wonderful Scottish townscape you've created.

Back