UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

re post #4422 KotangaGirl.
Hello Annie, well done on reviving older layouts, there must a lot of forgotten gems out there. Must have a look at this one you found.
Ivatt 2MTs could be found almost anywhere, a really useful locomotive.

Still in TANE

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, Ken

re post #4419 Tanker46
I am intrigued no more Alexander, who knows what might happen in Trainz.
re post #4420 borderriver.
Most enjoyable read and goodly shots.

Cheers, Ken

You're Fantastic Ken. Never stop doing what you are doing. :hehe:

In regards to Annie's 2MT Post. I noticed that the loco in question is not an Ivatt 2MT but in fact a Riddles Standard 2MT Tank! The differences are quite miniscule but there's no mistaking it for me!

The Standard 2MT Tank actually got quite a bit of runtime in around Brighton in the late 50s. As the Radials were gradually withdrawn and the Fairburn Tanks were sent north the 2MTs and 4MT tanks flooded in to take their place. The Riddles 2MT actually were the main locos that operated the branch to Brighton Kemp Town station in the twilight years of the line.

Come to think of it, I don't think I added Kemp Town in when I modeled Brighton. Might have to rectify that when I extend to Newhaven...

Last edited:
re post #4422 KotangaGirl.
Hello Annie, well done on reviving older layouts, there must a lot of forgotten gems out there. Must have a look at this one you found.
Ivatt 2MTs could be found almost anywhere, a really useful locomotive.

Still in TANE

<picture snipped>

Cheers, Ken

Thanks Ken. Yes Ashington is well worth searching out. There will be the usual problems over incompatible version 5 Speedtrees and the signaling could do with a wee tidy up, but really as a workable layout it's pretty darn good right out of the box. I've installed loops and portals at each end of the mainline trackwork stubs and I'll be doing something about making the MPD at Castleton look a bit more like a working steam era MPD. With all the industries on the branch Castleton could really do with a goods yard as well, but at least I don't have to worry about doing any major fixups for once; - the one big advantage of a freelance layout, - no finding any historic photos that will ruin my day.

I've got three 3MT standard tank engines as well mostly because I used to have the 00 gauge Triang version when I was teenager. I was all pre-grouping snobby for a while over not wanting to own any of the Standard classes, but they were well designed and serviceable engines and if it hadn't been for the bigoted interference of Motorway Marples and his minions they would have given good service for a good many more years than they did.

In regards to Annie's 2MT Post. I noticed that the loco in question is not an Ivatt 2MT but in fact a Riddles Standard 2MT Tank! The differences are quite miniscule but there's no mistaking it for me!

Hum..... Paul listed my 41xx 2MT's as being Ivatt 2MT's and the three I've got are numbered by request for the three that were assigned to 82A Bristol Bath Road in the late 1950s.
Mind you he does list the 84xx Riddles 2MT's as well and they have the slightly curved down top to their tanks to improve forward visibility as well as the front footplating that covers the valve chests.

BR Ivatt 2MT.

615Zil6.jpg

BR Riddles 2MT. Nos. 84020-84029 all went to the Southern Region.

VARh26L.jpg

The Great Central Railway heritage line love their 2MTs because they cost a heck of a lot less than a 4-6-0 or 4-6-2 to run on the line.
On many days a three or four coach set is perfect for the off-peak level of passengers who come by to travel.
Without them the economics of the operation could be severely dented.
In a way, the same situation in their BR days, an economical means of satisfying relatively light traffic requirements which in previous decades might have been in the hands of an older, larger engine seeing out its last days.

Today we aee D49/1 62717 Banffshire working Summer Saturday Chesterfield to Scarborought via Bridlington. It will go via the Anlaby Curve &Beverley. Engine working back North after work at Doncaster but wonder what will work back later in the day.
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Last edited:
They were popular on a number of routes & a shame the diesel units took over after such a short time in service. I believe the Mickey mouse & tank variations both had Ivatt LMS chimney but some a narower stove pipe type. The Buckinghamshire Railway Centre have both types on display. Kettering to Cambridge & Colne Valley line in East Anglia two routes I recall seeing them & the tank version on SR Tunbridge Wells West. .

Last edited:
I don't think there's been a heritage railway I've visited that hasn't had some form of Ivatt standard running. They really are very useful for these places. They might not be a crowd pleaser or massive presence but when you get it right they make a great sound. I'm looking at you lads on the ESR :p they cracked it open all the way on a return trip from Mendip Vale.

The boss of factory looking out on 12085... or is he making sure his Bentley Blower isn't getting dirty? :hehe:
319208813FD421FEC583EB706F866127148F233A

9F4095F767AD7718A11796B8F2E6192FD9DF8F80

2258 getting ready to leave for an afternoon service up the dale.

A view which was probably not enjoyed nearly 100 hundred years ago but I know some of us would kill for something similar.
8EFA02F3C601D00D498B55BBCFD66BAA5D5632BE

HotShotJimmy,
Yes, you are definitely right about that view on the third shot. Great view of the yard - I love it. :cool:

Congrats for getting another of your entries chosen for the N3V news letter.

As for the Bentley, I think the train driver of 12095 might have already blown a significant amount of steam and coal dust in that general direction...oops...:hehe:

Regards,
Gary

1912 - NER Stopping Passenger Train

Grand shots.
Circa 1912 a fitted NER saturated simple C1 Class 0-6-0 hauls a stopping train from West Hartlepool to Northallerton on the approach to Northallerton station.
Travellers get six-wheel carriages, which were still around in some numbers on secondary passenger trains pre-WWI.

The NER transferred 201 C Class 0-6-0s to the LNER at the grouping. This was the company's largest 0-6-0 class, becoming J21. With fitted and unfitted variants, some of which were superheated, it was a class with a complex history.

Last edited:
Excellent screeenshots Jimmy and Border! I really do enjoy both the atmosphere and historical dialogue from both of your routes!

Well! Camscott has done it again! :D The first new set of liveries after the U Class belong to the illustrious N15X Class! I already had the BR Black and Bullied Black covered so Cam turned out the last two remaining liveries - SR Maunsell Olive Green and SR Bulleid Malachite Green! And boy do they look outstanding!!

lWCnmNS.jpg
[/IMG]

Since the majority of N15Xs were Basingstoke engines, I didn't feel right showcasing them at Brighton so I used Dearnby instead.

July 31st, 1938 - N15X No.2332 "Stroudley" heads the 'Southwesterly" Express Service from Basingstoke to Dearnby.

I0w0cre.jpg
[/IMG]

fl6BcAq.jpg
[/IMG]

July 31st,1947 - In the twilight years of the Southern Railway, No.2332 makes the same journey with the Southwesterly Service nearly a decade to the last display. It will be a grand memory to the presence and prestige of Southern Steam at Dearnby for many years to come.

dUR03BL.jpg
[/IMG]

9aA3g25.jpg
[/IMG]

PmPsmlr.jpg
[/IMG]

oPELzfk.jpg
[/IMG]

RAekCwC.jpg
[/IMG]

So many excellent screenshots!

#4430. Wathdale is looking very fine indeed Jimmy. I really like the MPD screenie.

#4432. NER C/C1's are a favourite of my mine Frank, - trouble is I don't get to run my ones very often since I went down south.

#4434. That's a good line up of N15X's Tanker. Your lineside snaps taken at Dearnby while putting then through their paces are very nice too.

Still mucking about on the Ashington branch. No.41202 is my test engine at the moment and once I have it sorted I'll do the same mods to the other two 2MT tank engines. On the ancient 45xx's I got from Paul I'd experimented with using Reflect in TRS19 and the results were pleasingly successful. Sooooo I changed 41202's body mesh from using Onetex to Reflect and immediately its dark charcoal textures were brightened up with just enough of a sheen for 41202 to look clean and well cared for, - but not preservation era bulled up to a high gloss. I'm only using a reflection value of '1' and to my mind at least it's made a big difference. You can compare this picture with the one I took yesterday and you'll see what I'm talking about.

ajAZ7lm.jpg

I had a go at making Castleton's MPD look like a proper working MPD instead of being just an engine shed and a turntable looking all lost by themselves. Somehow I managed to not get the turntable in the picture. It's the same one I used at Long Rock and it's large enough to turn a 'Grange' which is all I need really. I decided that Castleton is a subshed of 82A Bristol Bath Road since one of my new storage loops is named 'Bristol'.
And yes that's a dismal fueling thingy and some diesel storage tanks. I debated with myself whether or not to have anything like that at Castleton MPD, but it's a bit hard not to for my chosen time period. I did some 'POOL' petrol and diesel tank wagon reskins a while ago so if I do have to run any diesels I can get my revenge.

NbJDV7V.jpg

A fine set of excellent screenshots Annie! I do like the texture alterations you have given the 2MT. Those little praries were always dirty once they got their Late BR Crests.

I can definitely sympathize with the 'obligation' of adding the fuel pump at Castleton MPD. The Southern Region didn't have too many diesels. (Instead we had the Toothpaste Tube Trains!) but the Class 33s, Class 46s, and Class 47s, started appearing around 1960 so I had to include a fuel pump on the Brighton Workshop.

Of course if you do get your revenge later on it won't be a normal revenge would it?

It would be the Queen Anne's Revenge :hehe:

... I'll see myself out.

Hotshot Jimmy, regarding post #4433, I have taken a look at the July 1926 NE Area Carriage Roster, the October 1912 NER Timetable and the NER 1908 Passenger engine Roster. Not ideal but one takes information from where it is available and unfortunately there has to be some interpretation and interpolation.

October 1912 - March 1913
Harrogate departures: 9.15am 12.12pm 3.05pm 4.53pm 7.10 pm (SO from Nov 1) 7.40pm SX (commencing Nov 1) 9.13pm (SO from Nov 1) Journey time 35 minutes with five intermediate stops.
Pately Bridge departures: 7.38 am. 10.12am 1.15pm 3.53pm 5.40pm 8.00 pm (SO from Nov 1) Journey time 35 - 37 minutes with five intermediate stops.

July 1908 Passenger Engine Roster
Pately Bridge Engine:
1st crew sign on 5.00am.
Engine's first run 7.40am (obviously 7.38 am in 1912) with service to Harrogate. It would also wander out to Wetherby, Boroughbridge and Pilmoor during the day.

PB 7.48am H 8.15am
H 8.28am W 8.43am
W 8.50am H 9.09am
H 9.15am PB 9.50am
PB 10.12am H 10.47am
H 12.10pm PB 12.45pm

2nd crew sign on 1.00pm.
1st crew sign off 2.00pm.

PB 1.15pm H 1.50pm
H 2.50pm B 3.15pm
B 3.23pm H 3.55pm
H 4.45pm P 5.26pm
P 5.50pm H 6.44pm
H 7.10pm PB 7.45pm (The 1908 Passenger engine roster was July - Sept so before the winter timetable changes which in 1912 took place at the end of October)
PB 8.00pm H 8.35pm
H 9.10pm PB 9.45pm

2nd crew sign off 11.00pm.

So, which engine worked the 3.05pm and 4.53 pm from Harrogate as well as the 3.50pm and 5.40pm returns from Pateley Bridge while the Branch engine wandered off to Boroughbridge and Pilmoor?
Starbeck shed turn 4 reveals that it was rostered to work the 3.05pm from Harrogate and 3.40 pm return while the Bradford shed engine was rostered to work the 4.53pm Harrogate departure and 5.43pm return!
Starbeck turn 4 includes a goods turn at Selby, so was this turn a tender engine duty?
The Bradford shed engine was a tender engine, as I have seen a shot of a N.E.R. G Class 4-4-0 (D23) at Bradford. Yeadon's has No. 328 at Bradford (Manningham) shed at the grouping.

There was a turntable at Pateley Bridge engine shed, but according to the NERA book on N.E.R. engine sheds Pateley Bridge had only a 42ft 1in diameter turntable. This would fit a C/C1 (J21) with an approximate 38ft wheelbase but not a G Class (D23) with a wheelbase of approximately 43ft. Tender first running for the G Class then on the return. The G Class had a westinghouse connection at the front bufferbeam, at its lower edge but lacked a steam heating connection at the front bufferbeam. A cold, cold journey back to Harrogate in winter then!

The Pateley Bridge branch engine was an O Class (G5) at the grouping. No. 1839.
The six C Class (J21) at Starbeck shed at the grouping were Nos.
22, 470, 510, 556, 579 and 1549. All saturated but No. 579 was a piston valve engine with the piano cover beneath the smokebox while the others had slide valves with rectangular plates below the smokebox.

July 1926 Carriage Roster. All times refer to 1926 and can differ from 1912.

Set No. 329 - Harrogate and Pateley Bridge set. - 52ft Van Compo (2-3) (2 x 1st 3 x 3rd LNER code XBC(2-3)), 52ft Third (LNER code XT) and 52ft Van Third (3) (3 x 3rd LNER code XB(3)).
Set No. 333 - Leeds Harrogate and Pateley Bridge set. - 2 x 32ft vans (LNER code V), but only shown as working Leeds - Harrogate at 4.am.

During the day set 329 has various additions.
The 7.28am ex-Pateley Bridge runs with a van and extra Third Class carriage attached - removed at Harrogate.
The 12.25pm ex-Harrogate runs with an extra Third Class carriage attached SO. It also has two vans attached (likely to be set 333) with a third van for Birstwith. The extra Third Class SO returns to Harrogate on the 1.27pm.
The 4.0pm ex-Harrogate runs with the SO extra Third Class carriage (like the 12.25pm can be either 49ft or 52ft, LNER code WT). It returns to Harrogate attached to the 4.50pm. One van is attached at Pately Bridge and another at Birstwith for Harrogate.
The 6.23pm ex-Harrogate runs with an extra Third Class carriage attached SX and a van attached SO.
The 9.23pm ex-Harrogate runs with an extra Third Class carriage attached SO.

To me, it seems that set 333 uses two of three vans, with two running between Leeds and Pateley Bridge or Birstwith and the third one spending the night at Pately Bridge. So long as two were back at Harrogate for the evening they would be tripped to Leeds (attached to an evening passenger train?) and return to Harrogate on the 4.0am from Leeds.

So, there is the material to work with for the NER era branch. It seems that six-wheel stock had disappeared quite early.
In the NERA archive, there is a pre-WWI shot of a tank engine (possibly a BTP 0-4-4T) with at least three clerestory roof bogie carriages in the platform at Pateley Bridge. The presence of some vans obscures if a fourth carriage is present. It could be an O Class just prior to WWI. The arrival of N.E.R. corridor carriages from 1908 displaced a number of 52ft clerestory roof carriages and there would have been a cascade down to lesser services. There was considerable new building of bogie carriages between 1895 and 1922, with elliptical roof carriages appearing from 1905 and by the 1926 roster the 6-w carriage had almost disappeared from scheduled passenger trains. Bear in mind though that even in 1922 there could have been a few 6-w carriages running in excursion trains. I have seen a video of troops departing from Blackhill station in 1914/15 and the train is all mad eup of 6-w carriages.

This is the configuration in 1926, the earliest date for which the NERA has documented evidence.

Last edited:
A fine set of excellent screenshots Annie! I do like the texture alterations you have given the 2MT. Those little praries were always dirty once they got their Late BR Crests.

I can definitely sympathize with the 'obligation' of adding the fuel pump at Castleton MPD. The Southern Region didn't have too many diesels. (Instead we had the Toothpaste Tube Trains!) but the Class 33s, Class 46s, and Class 47s, started appearing around 1960 so I had to include a fuel pump on the Brighton Workshop.

Of course if you do get your revenge later on it won't be a normal revenge would it?

It would be the Queen Anne's Revenge :hehe:

... I'll see myself out.

Oh that made me laugh Tanker, -Queen Anne's Revenge, - that was indeed a new one that nobody has passed by me before.

True enough I don't like diesels much, but I will have the occasional green 'Warship' and 'Baby Warship' run by on the mainline from time to time. I'm placing the Ashington Branch somewhere in a fold in the map between Bristol and Bath and that was very much Class 22 'Baby Warship' territory in the later part of the 1950s. I can most probably play 'rescue the broken down DMU with a steam engine' on the branchline from time to time as well.

Thanks, I was really pleased with how No.41202 turned out. No.41202 is the clean one though, the other two have Paul's weathering option so I might have to try something a bit different with them.

Q4mVNH0.jpg

CkbxGjI.jpg

Last edited:
I've taken a note of that Border thanks very much. I know of the picture you're looking at and there was another taken at the same time from a different angle and I think it was only three. Foot traffic wasn't great from Pateley Bridge as they had a lot of competition from a local Charabanc company that also hit tourist traffic with the NVLR (many an arguement that if this wasn't around the NVLR would be Britain's prettiest heritage railway).

Never thought I'd be able to get a high Summer day without supernova effects in TRS19. Knock back the blue, Gamma 2.0 is the manta when I set up environmental lighting.
Allerton is the first station on the Ashington Branch after leaving the junction. I'm presently looking at the Bristol Bath Road subsheds in the Shed Bash Uk website to see what likely engines Castleton shed would have been allocated circa 1955-59. Just because I'm going freelance doesn't mean I can go all wildly implausible.

tbi3vlB.jpg

With the W&FR LMS version basically done and getting a little burned out on the LNER version I did some work on the Glen Brae route to freshen up.

FD6A55A89B5814CF8F41AEFD4579EA3B09B74C1B

329FDEC414FDAA9DB7C3C58096B77147C63A3957

9EBC9EFC0666AA9EF9E6930B87F91238A6C04B48

A434D51D2F66DD81E6A34498724F810188F03DBF

Still track laying in conjunction with working out industries and their pathings but it was a good night shift where I could basically get paid while being all Trainzy lol.

Back