UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Incidentally Tanker, that mysterious bend near Frowhill leads to a major feature in the next expansion of Dearnby - one that I'm sure will stimulate your storytelling skills.
Some really evocative screenshots on this thread, as always.

I sincerely look forward to seeing more of that line the next iteration of Dearnby and District, Neville. It started as a little route tinkering but I've developed an entire historical timeline setting and character setting who live within it. The route really has taken on a life of its own! :D

Some very good screenshots there Tanker. That Maunsell D3/12 Class shunter is a bit unusual and makes a nice change from the usual boring class 08.

I'm not a fan of all diesels, - it's only really the Swindon built 'Warships' and the early English Electrics that figure on my radar. The D42 'Warships' got a raw deal from BR in my book since their technical people were biased against diesel hydraulics, - but then when have BR ever made sensible decisions about their motive power choices. The Class 41's in particular are a perfect example of a locomotive design ruined by BR interference.

'Daring' and 'Vengeance' at St Bennet's MPD. My main interest at the moment is seeing what improvements can be made to the 'Warships'. After some experiments by TCCW members I'm trying out properly animated German V200 bogies which are far closer to the prototype than the original non-animated bogies.
There has been some discussion about commissioning a new WR diesel hydraulic locomotive to replace this now very old model, but it's all early days yet.

emP4zS8.jpg

'Centaur', - now with the correct number, - under test. I only ever previously downloaded the early versions of 'Dearnby & District' when I first got TANE over two year ago now and then I got all distracted with my Norfolk layout and didn't have a look at any of the later developments. Needless to say I'm managing to get myself completely lost at times on the now much expanded layout. I suppose though getting lost on 'Dearnby' wouldn't be such a bad thing so long as you had a big thermos of tea and plenty of cheese and pickle sandwiches in your rucksack.
If anyone wants to know how to build a decent Western Region layout 'Dearnby' would be the perfect example for anyone to learn from..

91pkfyf.jpg

What's that strange man doing looking at 'Centaur'. Attempting to run around a train at Deane-on-Sea was a bit interesting, but now I've done it I shouldn't have any problems next time. I wonder if there's a buffet car in proper WR livery I can add into this five coach set?

s2fKA5p.jpg

Ah yes! I completely agree with you on all points regarding the Warships. I tend to lump the Diesel Hydraulics into the same category as steam engines since they never really got a fair shake from BR (The Class 41s were retired at the end of Southern Steam in 1967!)

To be honest my bias towards BR era comes from my interest in being able to run multiple different regions at once. BR itself was a political nightmare that kept shooting itself in the foot with a magically reloading revolver. They had Standard Class locos that were supposed to last until the 90s and they tossed them away to impress a few politicians and their brown nosing journalists.

It would be nice to see a new Class 42 in Trainz. Although I do prefer a Hymek or 41 myself! :hehe:

SlwSKCv.jpg
[/IMG]

Regarding your second point about the Hull and Barnsley 6T Vans. They are a new design by my buddy who did the MK1s and the new GWR Stock I've been touting about. They're not available yet but they should be in the near future! They are based off the HB molds Hornby did for OO Gauge during the 80s so there are quite a few interesting livery designs! ;)

IqMvVz9.jpg
[/IMG]

sQYKFCr.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Regarding your second point about the Hull and Barnsley 6T Vans. They are a new design by my buddy who did the MK1s and the new GWR Stock I've been touting about. They're not available yet but they should be in the near future! They are based off the HB molds Hornby did for OO Gauge during the 80s so there are quite a few interesting livery designs! ;)

As soon as I saw those vans 'Hornby' flashed through my mind. It was always a mystery why Hornby chose that particular prototype since it in no way a mainstream choice, but it certainly gave us pre-grouping modellers back in the day a van we could use with little modification.
Your friend is certainly very talented Tanker.

1938 - A sentinel, a steep grade and Larpool viaduct

With Hiskey's red brick Larpool viaduct in place the Sentinel steam railcar TIMES descends the grade from Prospect Hill junction towards Bog Hall junction. The gas works is visible through the viaduct arches.

Below, almost at the bottom of the grade and approaching Bog Hall.

Basics are in place but a lot of detail yet to fill in.

An interesting landscape Frank and with it framed by that marvellous viaduct it really is quite appealing.

I have one of Paul's Sentinel steam railmotors that I've been meaning to do a little fettling on, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Nothing like being a little unpredictable once in a while Graham :hehe: However I will point out that these aren't any sort of common old diesel, these are Swindon Works built diesels. There is a difference you know.

I am gradually working on my own session for Dearnby and it will be by no means an all dismal show. I've found my Swindon built 2MT that I asked Paul of Paulz Trainz to put together for me and there will be other BR WR delights being dug out of my digital trainset box as I go along. I'm too sleepy at the moment to want to build anything so I might as well mess about in Dearnby for awhile.

ZSeTZV2.jpg

Annie you have gone and shocked the Trainz world, look....

Annie.jpg

Okay I spit my morning juice out over this one. Well done Graham, it's absolutely hilarious!

As soon as I saw those vans 'Hornby' flashed through my mind. It was always a mystery why Hornby chose that particular prototype since it in no way a mainstream choice, but it certainly gave us pre-grouping modelers back in the day a van we could use with little modification.
Your friend is certainly very talented Tanker.

I couldn't agree more Annie. I still have a few if those H&B 6Ts in a faded SR Cream color from when I first got into the hobby and I will always hold onto them as they travel my Cornish route. I'll pass your praise onto my friend and I'll let you know when they are available for public use - they'd look marvelous on the Hopewood Tramway no doubt! :D

Apologies, I'm not posting a screenshot but I'm hoping you pre-BR blue people can help me with a foray into the period.

What carriages should I be using for both late GWR and early BR WR branch and express trains? I've looked on Goggle but to be honest, I'm none the wiser.

Cheers,
Innis

Apologies, I'm not posting a screenshot but I'm hoping you pre-BR blue people can help me with a foray into the period.

What carriages should I be using for both late GWR and early BR WR branch and express trains? I've looked on Goggle but to be honest, I'm none the wiser.

Cheers,
Innis

As is usual with Trainz it's what is available rather than what you'd like to have Innis. Certainly for the pre-blue era Mk1 coaches are always acceptable. Green ones belong to the Southern Region. 'Blood and Custard' liveried coaches lingered on and could still be occasionally seen up until the end of the 1950s. Brown and Cream for corridor Mk1's for some trains was introduced in 1956 and closed off in 1962, but took a while to disappear. Other corridor Mk1's were painted maroon lined at the waist and non-corridor stock was maroon with no waist lining.
For the late GWR period and BR period push-pull sets and Swindon built AEC diesel railcars would be the usual thing on branchlines. The GWR Collett coaches on the DLS would be fine for the late GWR period. In the early BR period GWR coaches would have still been seen for anything to five years in their old liveries. Being mostly a pre-grouping modeller I'm no great expert on the 'Big 4' GWR era, but I think you won't go too far wrong with that.

BR Western Region class D42 No.D288 'Centaur' at Badgercombe on the Dearnby & Branches route.

What are you looking at me like that for? It was built at Swindon and it's painted green.

avSdXlI.jpg

Great shots Annie ! I saw the "Big 600" Ark Royal in Barry scrapyard in summer 1979 and it was an epic machine. I wish I could have bought it for restoration.

Iinnis, regarding post #3952 and carriages suitable for the post-WWII period on the GWR and early BR WR period. I am not an expert on "Swindon" but Steve Banks has a thread on his site about Banbury and there might be a few shots with hints.

Generally, modellers tend to overlook the fact that even at the close of WWII something like half of all rolling stock in use by the Big Four companies was of pre-grouping origin. Sure, 12-wheel clerestories were not in daily use but the youngest pre-grouping carriage was still only 24 years old at nationalisation. Therefore, if you can find them in the correct livery carriages from the latter half of the Churchward era (1902 - 1921) can be justified on secondary services. Collett carriages were built in the period 1922 - 41 and then Hawksworth took over. BR Mk1 carriages began appearing from 1951. I doubt that many Hawksworth carriages were around until 1947, given the contstraints on production, though a Swindon expert may need to chip in there.

So, the AEC diesel railcars were introduced from 1933 and built until 1942, therefore they are a Collett era product and they were still running in to the early 1960s. the 14XX 0-4-2T were also a Collett era product with their autocar, with the last going in 1961.

For named express trains, BR Mk1 stock in chocolate & cream is appropriate for the period 1956 - 62. Other expresses would be in the usual blood & custard "until" 1956 (There is always a period of transition - I have seen photos of ex-LNER teak stock in trains as late as 1959!). Maroon from no earlier than 1957.

I know that WWII exonomies compelled the LNER to paint pre-grouping stock in a flat brown paint, though looking at Steve Banks site it seems the GWR did the same, with some Colletts also in flat wartime brown during 1946.

Any glaring errors there on my part, GWR experts please weigh in.

Last edited:
Hi Annie also not a big fan of diesals but have to love the cab of that little shunter has one of the best cabs I have seen.

Tom

Back