UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Like you, Annie, I really like GP Locomotives but I think you do them a disservice by calling them basic and simple. I suppose it depends exactly what kind of thing you are looking for and all the main locomotive creators (with whom we are truly blessed) have their particular strengths. . For what I do, I find Gary's models to be as sophisticated and realistically detailed as anything available and with an exceptional range of liveries to boot.

Please don't misunderstand me Neville. I wasn't using 'basic and simple' as any kind of slur against the GP locomotives I have. The fact that they look like they should and run well without any kind of scripting or extra interactive attachments to end up being broken in later versions of Trainz is a major plus in my book.
Having just purchased an unrebuilt 'Patriot', two 'Jubilees' and three 3F tank engines for Lickey from GPL should demonstrate how much I like Gary's engines.

Interesting points - I suppose we are all looking for slightly different things in our locomotives and so evaluations will vary according to our personal criteria. The great thing is that there seems to be something for everybody!

I don't have a problem saying GPL was exactly what I was looking for, LMR engines of a good quality. Basically bought the whole lot for my Wathdale route. Of course I can't place them for the MP but they are all fantastic and well placed when I run it solo. Ye they could probably use an update but honestly I think we can say that for any model older than T:ANE now. I hope Garys doing alright as I emailed him at the start of lockdown when I bought a rather large volume to his suprise :hehe:

I do plan on ordering more from Gary in the coming weeks, provided my meager salary holds out. His models are still worth having, and they're better than the alternatives in some areas (when there is an alternative).

Meanwhile i'm currently working on a scenario pack for Neville's wonderful Dearnby & District v2.0 that i recently "rediscovered" so to speak. The first session is coming along nicely. Messing with environmental lighting is always fun, if tedious.

3LHI93P.jpg

qELCD6Q.jpg

YHfJaJB.jpg

I53wj0n.jpg

Dearnby & District is an absolute classic and I should take another look at it myself. Getting the environmental lighting adjusted correctly is one of the 'joys' of owning TS2019 and something a lot of Trainz folk struggle with. I can now more or less tame the lighting in TS2019, but it took a while to learn how.
I've just purchased two "BRITISH RAILWAYS' Fowler 2P's that were shedded at Bath from GPL so that my Carlisle shedded 2P can return to Middle Vales so that should be a little more pocket money for Gary.

...Getting the environmental lighting adjusted correctly is one of the 'joys' of owning TS2019 and something a lot of Trainz folk struggle with...

You're so right, it's an absolute pig's orphan to set up and it more or less 'kills' TRS2019 for me!

Nice screenshots and nice to see some of Gary Prices' models which have definitely stood the test of time and don't take up massive amounts of disk space, unlike some more recent payware models!

Rob.

KotangaGirl / chris2001trainz2010 - thanks for the Dearnby and District comments. I'm amazed that there have been more than 30,000 downloads of the routes and sessions. Good luck on getting those sessions finished and on the DLS. Meanwhile work on V3 plods on.

Well to be honest Neville, it's not hard to see why it's so popular. The Dockyard setup, the detailed towns and stations, and there's the fact you put an airplane track in to do a complete flyover of the entire route which is breathtaking.

The thing that won me over was the 2ft Narrow Gauge line that you put in. I have never scene such an intricate and detailed Narrow Gauge Layout done as well as yours was.The line is woven into the cities and towns like stiching into fabric and is entwined with every industry and station you come across. I turned my version into a SR 1930s run and I operate Ed's L&B locos exclusively on the route. I hope I can fit the Volks Electric Railway into my Brighton Route in a similar fashion to your masterpiece.

Now that I am getting into route building myself I know how much time and dedication is needed to pull something like this off. I hope that when I finally release my project it can at least halfway measure up to this masterpiece.

Thanks for your hard work and I can't wait to see V3!

It's that Garratt again. Work continues on Lickey with updating ground textures and grasses.

ow8v8E0.jpg

oVqmLZ3.jpg

2P slogging up the gradient to Blackwell.

xPtPsND.jpg

I'm usually having a nosey on here. Thanks for all the comments and I think everything said is fair.
The original Jubilee Britannia model will be 20 years old next year. Scary!!!!

As you have now found out Gary my latest purchases were for the Lickey incline layout I'm presently working on. The LMS Garratt I'm running on Lickey is a TS2006 model and I have a Fowler 3P tank engine on the layout as well that is equally as old. I don't mind older models in the slightest as long as they look good and run well.

I go away for a day and I miss a discussion about GPlocomotives!? I really need to get notifications for this thread...

My opinion is more or less the same as Annie's. When I really got into Trainz in 2015 Gary's locomotives were some of the first available to me. His Jubilees always hold a special place in my collection because he went above and beyond and crafted No.45699 Galatea in her preserved BR Crimson Lake livery just because I asked. He's extremely generous!!

f2Jci5T.jpg
[/IMG]

It's been five years since then, and Gary's LMS Locos still dominate my fleet on the GCR. The Royal Scots, Jubilees and Patriots run expresses from Leicester to Sheffield, the Stanier 2Ps and 4Ps work the commuter trains out of Nottingham and the the 8Fs and Black Fives manage the heavy freights from Woodford Halse. I've never seen a need to get replacements for them because they dont need replacing. They've withstood the test of time and still look outstanding even in TRS19. They are like the Western and Southern locomotives that Chrisaw has done over the years - they are quite timeless and can be used in any era of the simulator.

I'm a bit sad that there aren't too many new locos from GP anymore. I would loved to have seen what an Ivatt Class 4 "Doodlebug" would have looked like. Regardless, the engines are and always will be a purchase well worth the money.

Thanks for all these fine locos Gary. I hope you are doing okay. :)

I agree with Tanker46 and KotangaGirl, those GP locomotives are pretty good. Note to self, must give his Stanier 2-6-4T a SR touch, The Southern Region had a few ex LMR tanks, forced to give them back to the LMR in the end for rubbish D5xxx.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Wow evilcrow. I particularly like the second screenshot in the fog.

My own humble offering. A Fowler 7F enters Bromsgrove from the south with a train of empty coal wagons.

jR2lKvJ.jpg

The Fairburns!!

That was the other LMS locomotive I was hoping he'd do! Thanks Evilcrow!!

Actually, the Southern Fairburns were never loaned to the Southern Region, they were built in-shop at Brighton Locomotive Works in two batches. Once the diesels and EMUs started taking over, they were shipped to the LM Region since it was the last region of BR to hold onto steam locomotives. The Southern Region was the second to last region to shut down steam (partially due to the popularity of steam traction on the Southwestern section of the network) and the Fairburns were extremely popular. Brighton tried to hold onto theirs as long as they could.

The only thing I didn't like about them was that they displaced the LBSCR E5s from commuter services. I'm an enormous fan of the Large Radials so its a bit sad to know that such fine engines were the death knell for the hardworking 0-6-2Ts

Tanker46 - Thanks for your appreciation of Dearnby and District. Credit should also go to my patner-in-crime Lataxe Ludd, who in fact suggested the whole thing.
Some more random images:
99wxQf3.jpg
[/IMG]
4haE95x.jpg
[/IMG]
ZPhwoOI.jpg
[/IMG]
IJAv33X.jpg
[/IMG]
lRMX2cc.jpg
[/IMG]

Back