UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

lewisner, HotshotJimmy: nice screenshots of Nidd Valley and Malton / Driffield. Those routes are looking very promising.
Point rodding and cabling is a fiddle to add but I think, even if it's not 100 per cent accurately detailed it all adds greatly to the lineside realism. When it comes to the multifarious connections going into signal boxes you can save a lot of time by concealing them in strategically placed barrow crossings (as was often the case in reality).

lewisner, HotshotJimmy: nice screenshots of Nidd Valley and Malton / Driffield. Those routes are looking very promising.
Point rodding and cabling is a fiddle to add but I think, even if it's not 100 per cent accurately detailed it all adds greatly to the lineside realism. When it comes to the multifarious connections going into signal boxes you can save a lot of time by concealing them in strategically placed barrow crossings (as was often the case in reality).

I finally found a staircase for the silo by luck as I remembered I used a staircase spline called "Stairs-Flex" at one of my stations and it worked a treat ! For some it isn't on the DLS any more - I downloaded it about 10 years ago.

Wharram Chalk Silo (2) Trainz 2019 2020.07.03 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Hi Claud!

As far as I know this is the version that was uploaded to the DLS. If there was an update I wasn't aware of it.

I tweaked it a bit to remove the GWR stock and replace it with Ex-GER/Ex-LNER stock to better fit the route. Most of it is Payware or other older content but the roster is pretty simple:

LNER Y3 Class

LNER Y7 Class

LNER Y8 Class

LNER J69 Class

LNER J70 Class

Really Paulhobbs and Cmburgess's content is a godsend for this route..

I was working on a model of the LNER Z5 Class but it has a lot of bugs I need to work through. Luckily Camscott has been giving me some pointers for when I finally get around to working on it. Don't know when since I am working on the Brighton Route Project though!

Cheers Neville. This isn't actually Nidd Valley, this is my route I made up called the Wathdale and Fellbeck railway. Not real at all. Until I learn more about TransDEM the Nidd ones on hold. I have some books ordered for later this year that'll come to help with that but for now this route is my first proper T:ANE route. The rest have been modified 2004 ones.

Back story for the route is its an old Victorian railway that began with the single line from the quarry to the town. The L&Y worked it and from there the LMS built on it to what we see in about 1930s.

So quick question before some more screenies tonight. Do I;

A. Continue with the current point rodding AND using it to attach to signals
B. Change it to only being attached to points
C. Use Kotanga's find for signal wiring although i'm not really liking the fact its nothing like the stock of the period.

:hehe:

Hi Claud!

As far as I know this is the version that was uploaded to the DLS. If there was an update I wasn't aware of it.

I tweaked it a bit to remove the GWR stock and replace it with Ex-GER/Ex-LNER stock to better fit the route. Most of it is Payware or other older content but the roster is pretty simple:

The original route wasn't uploaded with GWR stock. I gave permission for an updated version to be uploaded so I guess this was it.

I prefer the original version of the Welney & Umneth Tramway. It might not have all the magic tweaks that the TS2019 version has, but I think it just looks better and has more character despite its legacy assets. I didn't like that the narrow gauge became standard gauge either. I know that was because there was a problem with the NG track, but to my mind it wasn't an improvement.

HotshotJimmy: As with all route building decisions I think the rodding and cabling aspect boils down to your personal preferences on level of detail and degree of accuracy. On routes I've worked on like Dearnby and District and Mold and Denbigh I felt something was needed but it wasn't done in infinite detail (we did use the Stelldraht cabling with some associated fittings). It worked for us but there will always be others with different standards, higher and lower.

I prefer the original version of the Welney & Umneth Tramway. It might not have all the magic tweaks that the TS2019 version has, but I think it just looks better and has more character despite its legacy assets. I didn't like that the narrow gauge became standard gauge either. I know that was because there was a problem with the NG track, but to my mind it wasn't an improvement.

The route was a lot of fun to build considering the content available at the time. I think I caught the atmosphere of the area the route was based and the Narrow Gauge sections were part of that. However, I'm just pleased that somebody thought enough of the route to take the time to update it for later versions.

Nice looking route Lewisner. Do you have a name/KUID for that Silo by any chance please?

It would be useful on a number of my current routes.

Hi , sadly if it was on the DLS it would be called Spliney McSplineface because it is made of about 3 dozen splines. Mainly AUS Concrete Wall and AUS Tubular Fence and Build-A-Facility windows. I don't know if there is any way to save a structure made of multiple splines ?

Wharram Chalk Silo Construction 2020.07.04 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

1920 - Baxter Wood Sidings

A N.E.R. "B" Class 0-6-2T runs round a train of loaded coking coal wagons while a steam autocar from Durham heads towards Aldin Grange halt.

Good to see you back Lewisner, I`m still `oldiefying` the ECML but at a very slow pace. Have completed the bulk of necessary surgery between Newcastle & Dringhouses, but all sites are looking chaotic being surrounded by experimental building combinations & splines - they will require tidying before I put up screenies.

Rgds

BOGIEMAN

Good to see you back Lewisner, I`m still `oldiefying` the ECML but at a very slow pace. Have completed the bulk of necessary surgery between Newcastle & Dringhouses, but all sites are looking chaotic being surrounded by experimental building combinations & splines - they will require tidying before I put up screenies.

Rgds

BOGIEMAN

Hi Bogieman I am also rolling back the ECML, in my case to about 1958. I have done most of York - Darlington and next priority will be to build the Leamside line. It was an incredible bit of luck that nearly everything I last did in 2013, having been chucked around between hard drives, USB sticks and PC crashes, managed to survive 7 years. The big problem with York - Darlington is that the intermediate stations were so short lived after they were rebuilt that there are very few photos or track plans but I like a challenge !

That would make three of us rolling back the ECML to the steam era and I have an acquaintance who is also building York and the line northwards, but for the 1912 period.
I have the County Durham portion of the ECML along with the lines to Consett as well as the Leamside route between Tursdale Junction and Leamside.
It is no simple thing.
Newcastle and Darlington required a major rebuild from the built-in versions in addition to laying miles of additional trackwork.
The site at Ferryhill required a 100% clearing and relaying.
Just to add to the load, I have also set about building the ECML section between Morpeth and Alnmouth as a project to build the Amble branch using DEM data.

The summer 1914 down 10 am E.C.J.S. express passenger train from London Kings Cross crossing the River Tees bound for Scotland.

Darlington

Ferryhill

King Edward junction.

Chevington.

Last edited:
Here's my version of Leamside station built many years ago. It is complete to Durham but just basic track to Ferryhill. Those glaring white platform edges have to go as an urgent priority ! :eek:

BTW borderreiver you may want to take a look at "Lever Throw Over" from the DLS as it looks spot on for an NER point lever. Great shots !

A3 Trigo at Leamside 2020.07.04 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Hi , sadly if it was on the DLS it would be called Spliney McSplineface because it is made of about 3 dozen splines. Mainly AUS Concrete Wall and AUS Tubular Fence and Build-A-Facility windows. I don't know if there is any way to save a structure made of multiple splines

Cheers for responding Lewisner. Kit Bashing, as I like to call it, can be fun.....and that is a particularly fine effort, well done.

1yiRonw.jpg
[/IMG]
vicOwgE.jpg
[/IMG]

Back