.
Page 263 of 277 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264265273 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,945 of 4149

Thread: UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

  1. #3931
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,504
     

    Default

    BR Western Region class D42 No.D288 'Centaur' at Badgercombe on the Dearnby & Branches route.

    What are you looking at me like that for? It was built at Swindon and it's painted green.





    Last edited by KotangaGirl; May 11th, 2021 at 06:04 AM.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.



  2. #3932
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Royal Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
    Posts
    552
    Blog Entries
    1
     

    Default

    Annie,

    Lovely screenshots but I'm shocked. I don't think I've ever seen you drive a diesel, sorry, Dismal, before! Are you being converted?

    Great screenshot nonetheless.

    Cheers,

    PLP
    Building the Swanage Railway for TRS19.

  3. #3933
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,504
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PortLineParker View Post
    Annie,

    Lovely screenshots but I'm shocked. I don't think I've ever seen you drive a diesel, sorry, Dismal, before! Are you being converted?

    Great screenshot nonetheless.

    Cheers,

    PLP
    Yes it's certainly a rare sight me driving a diesel. There is a very very small group of Uk diesels I can marginally stand the sight of and the Western Region diesel hydraulics are among their number. They have to at least be green though, - none of that yellow nosed nonsense, and as for being painted blue I don't descend to such a horror as that.

    Looks right at home on the Dearnby route.

    Narcolepsy is not napping.



  4. #3934
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,553
     

    Default

    re posts#3924 KotangaGirl, #3925 Heinrich505, #3924 Tanker46 and #3930 borderreiver,
    thank you for the compliments and all your latest screenshots, really goodly.
    As for Annie going over to the Dark Side it's a broad church this hobby

    After a brief foray in TRS19 and finding it riddled with things that annoy, its back to TANE.
    The excellent 'East Cornwall' route by Marky7890;



    Cheers Ken

  5. #3935
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United States of America, Texas, Dickinson
    Posts
    1,971
     

    Default

    What a really excellent screenshot, Ken! Composed perfectly, with the haze in the background allowing the engine to be highlighted. Perfect!
    Hopefully your photographer had something to hold on to after the shot. There doesn't seem to be any railings in that area and I'll bet the bridge was shaking wildly with that thundering horse rushing towards him.

    And, I might have to check out that route. That bridge is really something.

    Gary

  6. #3936
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United States of America, Texas, Dickinson
    Posts
    1,971
     

    Default

    KotangaGirl,

    RE: Posts 3931 and 3933

    Yikes! A Centaur? It looks perfectly at home on the Dearnby and Branches, and it is a lovely shade of green. But, a diesel? It knocked me right off my chair, but the screenshots are great.

    Hopefully you won't linger too long in the "dark side," overtaken by the lure of diesel fumes and no more coal dust...

    Heinrich505

  7. #3937
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,821
     

    Default

    A NER P Class 0-6-0 of Whitby shed heads towards Ruswarp, Sleights and Grosmont bound for Malton and York with an unfitted goods working. At the head of the train are three loaded coal wagons to deliver to Whitby GasWorks.




  8. #3938
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom, Cheshire
    Posts
    3,907
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post

    Looks like she can drive flying saucers as well... or throw them!

    Nice shot, borderriever.

    Magnificent shot of the Brunel bridge by evilcrow.

    Rob.

  9. #3939
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Flintshire, Europe
    Posts
    563
     

    Default

    The interesting shots of a Warship in the Dearnby vicinity remind me that a Warship being rescued by a Western Region tank is included as an AI train in the 'Trainspotter Session' for Dearnby and District v2.0. I included the Warship as the model is only just about ok but proclaims a certain locality and time like few others. I never noticed the jammed wheels, but maybe that's why it was being rescued....
    Incidentally Tanker, that mysterious bend near Frowhill leads to a major feature in the next expansion of Dearnby - one that I'm sure will stimulate your storytelling skills.
    Some really evocative screenshots on this thread, as always.
    Member of trainz-carriage-wagon-works

  10. #3940
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    , E.Midlands
    Posts
    193
     

    Default


  11. #3941
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    United States of America, IN, Valparaiso
    Posts
    836
     

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    BR Western Region class D42 No.D288 'Centaur' at Badgercombe on the Dearnby & Branches route.

    What are you looking at me like that for? It was built at Swindon and it's painted green.


    Running a Class 42? A Diesel?! Are you sure you're okay Annie? I never thought I'd see you at the controls of one of those "Toothpaste Tubes".

    Since you are in a Diesel mood I might as well share these from my Dearnby 50's setup!

    Even into the 1950s Dearnby was one of the last places on the ex-LSWR map to dieselize. They held steadfastly to steam and the final steam locomotive left Dearnby in 1967 to a chorus of cheers from the townsfolk.

    That being said, Dearnby did take up a few diesels during the BR Era. The original "Warship" diesels of North British decent were bussed into service by the Western Region in 1957. They were initially designed to replace the Kings and Castles on the heavy express routes but were unable to outperform them on the required routes. Although they were considered a failure by BR they actually were very competent diesel hydraulic units and were suited to secondary express work.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    Class 41 No. D601 Ark Royal became a regular on the Sea Maiden Service to Cheltenham in 1961. The 41 was assigned to Dearnby on trial but was found to be unsuitable for the Cheltenham Spa Express. Dearnby's habit of acquiring unique antiquated rolling stock prevailed and made the order to acquire two of the four NBL locos for regular service following the end of steam on the Western Region in 1965. Both D601 Ark Royal and D604 Cossack were allocated to Dearnby in the summer of 1961 and began services between Oxford and Liverpool respectively.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    Another unique diesel locomotive Dearnby operates is the Maunsell D3/12 Class shunters. The 850hp Shunters were designed by Richard Maunsell to operate the yards at Hither Green station. One was loaned to the Dearnby Ironworks after their regular engine was brought in for servicing. After the locomotive was repaired, Dearnby acquired No.15201 after a request for a Class 07 Dock Shunter was denied. The diesel shunter proved to be extremely effective and is now at home with the other Dockyard Shunters
    Last edited by Tanker46; May 11th, 2021 at 09:19 PM.
    Tanker46

    Member of TCWW - Developer of the Brighton Project

  12. #3942
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,504
     

    Default

    Some very good screenshots there Tanker. That Maunsell D3/12 Class shunter is a bit unusual and makes a nice change from the usual boring class 08.

    I'm not a fan of all diesels, - it's only really the Swindon built 'Warships' and the early English Electrics that figure on my radar. The D42 'Warships' got a raw deal from BR in my book since their technical people were biased against diesel hydraulics, - but then when have BR ever made sensible decisions about their motive power choices. The Class 41's in particular are a perfect example of a locomotive design ruined by BR interference.

    'Daring' and 'Vengeance' at St Bennet's MPD. My main interest at the moment is seeing what improvements can be made to the 'Warships'. After some experiments by TCCW members I'm trying out properly animated German V200 bogies which are far closer to the prototype than the original non-animated bogies.
    There has been some discussion about commissioning a new WR diesel hydraulic locomotive to replace this now very old model, but it's all early days yet.



    'Centaur', - now with the correct number, - under test. I only ever previously downloaded the early versions of 'Dearnby & District' when I first got TANE over two year ago now and then I got all distracted with my Norfolk layout and didn't have a look at any of the later developments. Needless to say I'm managing to get myself completely lost at times on the now much expanded layout. I suppose though getting lost on 'Dearnby' wouldn't be such a bad thing so long as you had a big thermos of tea and plenty of cheese and pickle sandwiches in your rucksack.
    If anyone wants to know how to build a decent Western Region layout 'Dearnby' would be the perfect example for anyone to learn from..



    What's that strange man doing looking at 'Centaur'. Attempting to run around a train at Deane-on-Sea was a bit interesting, but now I've done it I shouldn't have any problems next time. I wonder if there's a buffet car in proper WR livery I can add into this five coach set?

    Last edited by KotangaGirl; May 12th, 2021 at 01:26 AM. Reason: more to say
    Narcolepsy is not napping.



  13. #3943
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    United States of America, IN, Valparaiso
    Posts
    836
     

    Default

    Incidentally Tanker, that mysterious bend near Frowhill leads to a major feature in the next expansion of Dearnby - one that I'm sure will stimulate your storytelling skills.
    Some really evocative screenshots on this thread, as always.
    I sincerely look forward to seeing more of that line the next iteration of Dearnby and District, Neville. It started as a little route tinkering but I've developed an entire historical timeline setting and character setting who live within it. The route really has taken on a life of its own!


    Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    Some very good screenshots there Tanker. That Maunsell D3/12 Class shunter is a bit unusual and makes a nice change from the usual boring class 08.

    I'm not a fan of all diesels, - it's only really the Swindon built 'Warships' and the early English Electrics that figure on my radar. The D42 'Warships' got a raw deal from BR in my book since their technical people were biased against diesel hydraulics, - but then when have BR ever made sensible decisions about their motive power choices. The Class 41's in particular are a perfect example of a locomotive design ruined by BR interference.

    'Daring' and 'Vengeance' at St Bennet's MPD. My main interest at the moment is seeing what improvements can be made to the 'Warships'. After some experiments by TCCW members I'm trying out properly animated German V200 bogies which are far closer to the prototype than the original non-animated bogies.
    There has been some discussion about commissioning a new WR diesel hydraulic locomotive to replace this now very old model, but it's all early days yet.



    'Centaur', - now with the correct number, - under test. I only ever previously downloaded the early versions of 'Dearnby & District' when I first got TANE over two year ago now and then I got all distracted with my Norfolk layout and didn't have a look at any of the later developments. Needless to say I'm managing to get myself completely lost at times on the now much expanded layout. I suppose though getting lost on 'Dearnby' wouldn't be such a bad thing so long as you had a big thermos of tea and plenty of cheese and pickle sandwiches in your rucksack.
    If anyone wants to know how to build a decent Western Region layout 'Dearnby' would be the perfect example for anyone to learn from..



    What's that strange man doing looking at 'Centaur'. Attempting to run around a train at Deane-on-Sea was a bit interesting, but now I've done it I shouldn't have any problems next time. I wonder if there's a buffet car in proper WR livery I can add into this five coach set?

    Ah yes! I completely agree with you on all points regarding the Warships. I tend to lump the Diesel Hydraulics into the same category as steam engines since they never really got a fair shake from BR (The Class 41s were retired at the end of Southern Steam in 1967!)

    To be honest my bias towards BR era comes from my interest in being able to run multiple different regions at once. BR itself was a political nightmare that kept shooting itself in the foot with a magically reloading revolver. They had Standard Class locos that were supposed to last until the 90s and they tossed them away to impress a few politicians and their brown nosing journalists.

    It would be nice to see a new Class 42 in Trainz. Although I do prefer a Hymek or 41 myself!

    [IMG][/IMG]

    Regarding your second point about the Hull and Barnsley 6T Vans. They are a new design by my buddy who did the MK1s and the new GWR Stock I've been touting about. They're not available yet but they should be in the near future! They are based off the HB molds Hornby did for OO Gauge during the 80s so there are quite a few interesting livery designs!

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Tanker46; May 13th, 2021 at 09:24 AM.
    Tanker46

    Member of TCWW - Developer of the Brighton Project

  14. #3944
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,504
     

    Default

    Regarding your second point about the Hull and Barnsley 6T Vans. They are a new design by my buddy who did the MK1s and the new GWR Stock I've been touting about. They're not available yet but they should be in the near future! They are based off the HB molds Hornby did for OO Gauge during the 80s so there are quite a few interesting livery designs!
    As soon as I saw those vans 'Hornby' flashed through my mind. It was always a mystery why Hornby chose that particular prototype since it in no way a mainstream choice, but it certainly gave us pre-grouping modellers back in the day a van we could use with little modification.
    Your friend is certainly very talented Tanker.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.



  15. #3945
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,821
     

    Default 1938 - A sentinel, a steep grade and Larpool viaduct

    With Hiskey's red brick Larpool viaduct in place the Sentinel steam railcar TIMES descends the grade from Prospect Hill junction towards Bog Hall junction. The gas works is visible through the viaduct arches.




    Below, almost at the bottom of the grade and approaching Bog Hall.




    Basics are in place but a lot of detail yet to fill in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •