UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

re post #1522 borderreiver.

Always look forward to your postings, the railway history you provide most interesting and informative.

UK.............BR/GCR/MET

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

re post #1522 borderreiver.

Always look forward to your postings, the railway history you provide most interesting and informative.

UK.............BR/GCR/MET

(picture snipped)

Cheers, evilcrow

Yes I very much agree. The history you provide with your screenshots borderreiver really does add another dimension to them.

And as for your latest screenshot evilcrow, - a moments silence please for the Woodhead Route. Savagely cut down by small minded men with no imagination. Let us hope they are now all shovelling out the ashpits down in Hell.

Hi

The Woodhead tunnels are still in use today to carry electricity cables between the East and West instead of having pylons marching across the moors. Originally they used the old tunnels but as their condition deteriorated they have now turned to using the new tunnel. This work was only completed a couple of years ago. One interesting side effect of all this was that in winter the heat from the cables would often cause the ventilation shafts on the moors to steam as though there were ghost steam trains still running through the tunnels. The old route is now part of the Transpennine Trail so it is still in use for leisure activities and I used to walk the Dunford Bridge to Penistone section regularly.

The main reason given for closure was that the infrastructure was becoming time expired and it would have been very expensive to upgrade from 1500 volts dc to 25kv ac. At the time of closure there was no passenger service and the main services were unit coal trains from the South Yorkshire coal fields to Fiddlers Ferry power station. When the Thatcher government came to power the writing was on the wall for coal so I don't suppose they felt justified in spending millions of pounds upgrading the line.

There have been a number of proposals to reopen the line in recent years but as it has been built over in some places and with the power cables now occupying the tunnel it would seem to be very unlikely. In addition much of the infrastructure has deteriorated over the almost 40 years since closure. Things such as occupation bridges have been given the minimum of attention just to keep them safe but would most likely need replacing if the railway was reinstated.

I've always lived within about 3 miles of Dunford Bridge and my interest in railways was sparked by seeing a train burst out of the old tunnel leaving a trail of steam and smoke in about 1950.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for that Brian. Yes I was sort of aware of the story behind the closure, but for a GCR enthusiast like me it's all a sad end to a magnificent dream.

What magnificent locomotives Ed has made. Here's 'Trigo' in experimental blue via a timewarp on Valleyfields (GCR). I've had Andi's Gresley coaches for ages and I did not realise they were multi-livery until I saw evilcrow's screenshots and then the penny dropped.

eQ9jahp.jpg

ledl5gt.jpg

fXG7Yib.jpg

andi06 certainly left an incredible legacy for us Trainz folk. Everything he did was nothing short of inspired brilliance.

Bodmin & Wadebridge on the 'The North Cornwall Railway' route. I only use the Bodmin & Wadebridge section of this route.

GiMKz9S.jpg

Ah! Excellent use of the Beattie Well Tank! It looks marvelous!

I used to use the North Cornwall Route way back when I used TS 2009. I always preferred the run from Padstow along the coast myself!

Tanker46

I haven't really had a look at the run out to Padstow yet Tanker. It's taken me long enough to fix all the misaligned trackwork on the Bodmin & Wadebridge section. All good fun though, - Cam's Beattie well tanks are excellent models and a lot of fun to drive.

Great shots everyone! :D

Been giving the Autocoach a run at Bodmin...

2018-11-14_201444.jpg

Bodmin General

2018-11-14_201425.jpg

Bodmin General

2018-11-14_200638.jpg

Boscarne Branch near Bodmin

2018-11-14_195938.jpg

Boscarne Junction

2018-11-14_203011.jpg

Bodmin Parkway

Mark

re posts #1538/9 & 1540 KotangaGirl, #1541 marky7980.
Good shots from you both.

UK..........BR/GCR/MET

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Back