UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Great shots Annie ! I saw the "Big 600" Ark Royal in Barry scrapyard in summer 1979 and it was an epic machine. I wish I could have bought it for restoration.

Actually Ark Royal was marked for preservation but it's engine was too far gone to warrant a rebuild. They attempted to get it preserved at the NRM on the grounds of it being the last mainline NBL built locomotive in exsistence but they cut it up before the NRM could secure it. A very sad day for enthusiasts indeed..

As to the loss of the warship, those were strange days on both sides of the tracks (pun intended).

The preserved J21 only exists because an employee of Durham County Council (who later became the first director of Beamish North of England Open Air Museum) first paid BR for it with a cheque from the council and then managed to have it taken to the yard at the Consett Iron Company despite several abortive attempts by BR to haul it off for scrap from Darlington works. The first loco crew forgot to pick it up along with other locos and the second loco did not show up, allegedly due to a hangover! the council took their employee to task when they accountants found the cheque showing the county council were buying a locomotive! I can't remember if the cheque bounced or was honoured but a combination of shenanigans and footplate crew inefficiency meant that it survived. After some time in the wilderness following its use in preservation it is now being restored again at Kirkby Stephen.

Oh wow! That little J21 sure was quite a lucky engine! I never thought I would be happy to hear that railway incompetence was afoot! :hehe:

A lot of engines had that happen to be honest. The Bluebell Railway attempted to preserve LSWR G6 No.30277 from Guildford and worked up the money, but BR carted it off for scrap before they arrived to pick it up. They were really petty about steam preservation based on the stories I've heard. It's no wonder why stories like Rev. W Awdry's books became so popular - it was a race for survival indeed!

This week end the Severn Valley Railway are holing a Diesel Gala Event with three Class 50 operating along with a preserved Warship + Western D1015, Class 40 Atlantic Conveyor & Live webcam can be seen on Youtube by searching Severn Valley Railway. Times & loco duties are to be seen on the SVR website Also some nice classic coaching stock to be seen. Almost forgot a Class 14 & 17 working as well. The event started today.

LD&ECR {GC} Lincoln Central to Shirebrook North crossing Fledborough Viaduct 59 approach arches with girder spans across the River Trent. A derailed freight damaged the Viaduct & cased the line through route to close though part is now a Test Track following collery closures & High Marnham Power Station.
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the Uk Pre-BR Blue era screenshot forum clekev. Do you have any more screenshots you'd like to show us.

Steam engine testing on Dearnby & District. The very famous ex-LBSC Baltic tank engine is by Decapod. from TS2004 days and it runs very sweetly indeed. Before rebuilding the Baltic tanks into tender engines the Southern attempted to sell them to the GWR. I wonder how they would have looked in Brunswick green........

The Maunsell 'Ironside' coaches are by Paulz Trainz and were borrowed from my not very good Wadebridge layout. I have a strong olive green bias when it comes to the Southern Railway.

u5E7bS0.jpg

6PTteOn.jpg

PtXgZHL.jpg

XtdhtCT.jpg

I do like big tank engines!

Remembrance #333 looks really nice! Very cool screenshots. :cool:

Thanks Heinrich and Graham. 'Remembrance' isn't on the DLS I got it from the Wayback Machine where some of Decapod's old TS2004 models had been saved. I needed to do some config file fixes first and then 'Remembrance' was good to go. I really like big tank engines too, but I'm not really sure what I'll with it.

Last edited:
Very nice Frank and somewhat unusual with having the junction in a fairly narrow cutting like that.

I asked Paul to dig about in his older models and do me three Western Region standard 3MT tank engines that I supplied the numbers for.

I've discovered Trainboi's lovely standard class 4 tender engines, but I have the feeling that they didn't work on the Western Region.

6iUJgVW.jpg

wlfLOdP.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all for the previous responses on carriages. Being more of a disiesel fan, this is unknown territory for me.

Another couple from Trecoll Bay.

51178869176_08c6530fde_h.jpg

51179963850_e5072966f1_h.jpg

Hello Annie,

Thanks for the comment.
Riddles Standard Class 4 tender type came in two wheel arrangements, a 2-6-0 (Nos. 76000 - 76114) and 4-6-0 (Nos. 75000 - 75079).
Of the former, they do seem to have avoided allocations to WR sheds but it does not mean that they never ventured there.
For example No. 76053 went to Salisbury shed in May 1960 and it is possible that some workings took it westwards towards yeovil or Northwest towards Frome.
Of the latter, several were initially allocated to the WR and others were allocated there later in their careers.
Snapshots -

No. 75000 started at Swindon in May 1951, to Shrewsbury in Sept 1951 through Dec 53, then going back to Swindon. After a period on the MR from Sept 59 through Feb 61 it was back to the WR at Oxford. She was withdrawn from Worcester.
No. 75001 worked at Shrewsbury, Swindon, Oxford, Bristol Barrow Road and Yeovil Town.
No. 75002 worked at Shrewsbury, Swindon, Oswestry, Gloucester Barnwood, Templecombe S&D, Bristol Barrow Road, Machynlleth, Croes Newydd and Stoke.

More details can be found on BRDatabase.info

Last edited:
2975pfx Very nice pictures & that viaduct looks really nice also. Re carriages O think the main cull was on non corridor coaches used on branch lines which were replaced by the DMU's. However quite a number survived for some time on suburban services. Also the corridor coaches going back to pre grouping were around for quite some time though later often used on excursions & Summer holiday through services. I Fen 1964 I recollect going on excursion to London from local station the train all Gresley coaches hailed by a B1.

Hello Annie,

Thanks for the comment.
Riddles Standard Class 4 tender type came in two wheel arrangements, a 2-6-0 (Nos. 76000 - 76114) and 4-6-0 (Nos. 75000 - 75079).
Of the former, they do seem to have avoided allocations to WR sheds but it does not mean that they never ventured there.
For example No. 76053 went to Salisbury shed in May 1960 and it is possible that some workings took it westwards towards yeovil or Northwest towards Frome.
Of the latter, several were initially allocated to the WR and others were allocated there later in their careers.
Snapshots -

No. 75000 started at Swindon in May 1951, to Shrewsbury in Sept 1951 through Dec 53, then going back to Swindon. After a period on the MR from Sept 59 through Feb 61 it was back to the WR at Oxford. She was withdrawn from Worcester.
No. 75001 worked at Shrewsbury, Swindon, Oxford, Bristol Barrow Road and Yeovil Town.
No. 75002 worked at Shrewsbury, Swindon, Oswestry, Gloucester Barnwood, Templecombe S&D, Bristol Barrow Road, Machynlleth, Croes Newydd and Stoke.

More details can be found on BRDatabase.info

Thanks very much for that information Frank. I knew i was on solid ground with the green liveried 3MT's since I knew for certain that they'd worked on the Western Region and it was reasonably straight forward to find the details for the trio that are now on Dearnby. The Western Region in 1960 is a whole new ball game for me so I'm finding myself having learn what is second nature to me in other time periods. Up until now I've never given the standard classes a second thought as as for running 'Warships' on a layout that's something I never would have contemplated before.
More than likely I'll just have the two standard class 4 engines on Dearnby as I don't want to jam my session full of engines and rolling stock despite Dearnby's capacity to absorb far more than I could ever manage.

SW9NnwH.jpg

Thanks all for the previous responses on carriages. Being more of a disiesel fan, this is unknown territory for me.

Another couple from Trecoll Bay.

<pictures snipped>

Impressive screenshots pfx. Very much the kind of countryside I like.

Back