UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Some stunning images on this thread these days. But is it Autumn already Ken?
Many thanks to Tanker and Camscott for their generosity once again.
Some loco portraits from the archives:
KkD3M2x.jpg
[/IMG]
yIS651m.jpg
[/IMG]
ChXvfxe.jpg
[/IMG]
3Q7nvbp.jpg
[/IMG]

re post #4461 Tanker4
Thanks Tanker and more locos from you, magic.
re post #4463 neville_hill
Before you know it, winter is upon us.
Smashing archive shots. Wonderful weathering on the A1 and B1.

Still in TANE.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, Ken

Some stunning images on this thread these days. But is it Autumn already Ken?
Many thanks to Tanker and Camscott for their generosity once again.
Some loco portraits from the archives:

3Q7nvbp.jpg
[/IMG]

An excellent set of screenies from you Neville! I'm quite curious of where that Night Owl is running. Is that a new area of Dearnby or a strategically angled shot of somewhere already on the route? Looks like near Casterford or Dearnby Junction but I can't exactly be sure on it..

re post #4461 Tanker4
Thanks Tanker and more locos from you, magic.

Much appreciated Ken! I've been meaning to get this done for a while but I kept dragging my feet on it. Excellent shot of the U in it's winter wonderland! It looks great no matter the weather!

Took a day off from route building to visit an old stomping ground. I shook off the dust on my copy of TANE and fired up the classic PLL Potteries Loop Line Add on. It was slow going but I finally managed to get it working. I added the NSR locos a while back and they all work great on here. Same with newcomer L&Y Class 27! Quite a fun day to be sure!

Jv1MopP.jpg
[/IMG]

hJxMmJB.jpg
[/IMG]

vOs215Z.jpg
[/IMG]

G0UaRpj.jpg
[/IMG]

NxoJNY3.jpg
[/IMG]

8MrOhJI.jpg
[/IMG]

Great shots, ALL! Neville's archives are really neat.
Of course, every shot of Ken's seems to be a work of art.
Tanker46, I like those shots a lot. The threatening sky on the last one is very ominous.
Annie, your over the fence shed shot is really nice. I'm enjoying your progress a lot.

Regards,
Gary

#4463. Excellent screenshots neville_hill. Always good to see your classic Dearnby screenshots and even including a 'Hornby Dublo' Standard 4 tank engine as a bonus.

#4464. Eeeeee! A Winter snow screenie! And a lovely one it is too Ken.

#4461 & #4465. Nice to see your new E5 & E6 snaps on the Brighton line Tanker, but your PLL shots are a welcome surprise. It's been a good while since any PLL screenshots were last posted here. And Camscott's ex-NSR engines are another near forgotten rarity on here as well.
Annie, your over the fence shed shot is really nice. I'm enjoying your progress a lot.

Regards,
Gary

Thanks Gary. The original MPD at Ashington needed quite a bit of work doing to it to make it a properly functional MPD. As it stood part of the MPD yard couldn't be properly shunted to get the all important coal wagons into where they were needed and then once the wagons were empty there was nowhere to put them until they could be collected. The original monster old TS2004 turntable was faulty as well and since I doubt very much that 'Kings' and 'Castles' would be working into Ashington a turntable of that size wasn't needed anyway. Skipper's Branchline Turntable model is a much more useful substitute and is fine for turning my Standard tanks should they need it.
The MPD is a little crowded for space, but that wasn't exactly untypical for MPDs inside a town's boundaries.

53BGVJp.jpg

44L6zCB.jpg

PEtpfKY.jpg

Last edited:
#4463. Excellent screenshots neville_hill. Always good to see your classic Dearnby screenshots and even including a 'Hornby Dublo' Standard 4 tank engine as a bonus.

#4464. Eeeeee! A Winter snow screenie! And a lovely one it is too Ken.

#4461 & #4465. Nice to see your new E5 & E6 snaps on the Brighton line Tanker, but your PLL shots are a welcome surprise. It's been a good while since any PLL screenshots were last posted here. And Camscott's ex-NSR engines are another near forgotten rarity on here as well.

Thanks Gary. The original MPD at Ashington needed quite a bit of work doing to it to make it a properly functional MPD. As it stood part of the MPD yard couldn't be properly shunted to get the all important coal wagons into where they were needed and then once the wagons were empty there was nowhere to put them until they could be collected. The original monster old TS2004 turntable was faulty as well and since I doubt very much that 'Kings' and 'Castles' would be working into Ashington a turntable of that size wasn't needed anyway. Skipper's Branchline Turntable model is a much more useful substitute and is fine for turning my Standard tanks should they need it.
The MPD is a little crowded for space, but that wasn't exactly untypical for MPDs inside a town's boundaries.

53BGVJp.jpg

44L6zCB.jpg

PEtpfKY.jpg

Much appreciated Annie! I don't usually venture so far from my den in the South and up into the Midlands (that's HotshotJimmy's territory! :hehe:), but I got all nostalgic today and decided to give it a go.

You see, the PLL was one of the first real DLC addons I purchased for Trainz. My TANE and TRS19 versions came with the S&C Content and my grandparents bought the original 2009 iteration of the software for me. PLL was the first thing I bought for Trainz myself and so it has a special place in my heart. Same goes for those three little NSR locos that scurry about the lines at Stoke-on-Trent.

Out of all the massive collection of Camscott's models I possessed, the NSR locos was the one thing I always overlooked. I had no real place to run them until PLL. After I did some research last year I decided to splurge and add that one last piece of Cam's content to my collection. It was a choice with absolutely no regrets - the three little engines have made themselves quite at home and I have no intention of retiring them any time soon. (Blasted Railway Board be damned!) :hehe:

All that aside, your developments at Ashington look wonderful! I can definitely see a change in the post processing too! (Using a bit of the Edge Detection I see? ;)) Of course the MPD and it's surroundings look fantastic! Places like Ashington, Hassocks and Three Bridges always look like the city around them is just closing in like a tiger waiting to pounce! I think it really adds to the historical element of these "Railway Towns". We have plenty like this back where I am from! :D

Thanks Tanker46 for telling us about the new E5 & E6 downloaded both versions the TRS19 versions The E6 CDP are about double the Tane version the E5 only a few MB

Tom

Last edited:
Apart from a few small bits and pieces I now have the goods yard at Castleton done. One of the big problems with the Ashington branch layout in its original form was that while there were three industries served by the branch and all the stations on the branch had goods yards there wasn't a goods yard at Castleton to receive goods traffic from the branchline. Since I like shunting and trip working this was a situation I really did need to do something about.

hskbLZQ.jpg

This is the view from the same spot on the original Ashington branch layout.

SPjTn5C.jpg

Yikes, that is quite a difference, Annie. I like what you've done. Excellent work! :cool: It has a very real look to it now.

Regards,
Gary

Thanks Gary, - planning it all out to make sure it would be properly workable was a bit tricky. I still have to install some new pointwork over on the Castleton station side of things so that goods trains from the branchline can access the goods yard.

This is the view from the same spot on the original Ashington branch layout.

*Pic removed*

Annie I notice you are using JointedRail's crossing checkrails. These are very good models, but are based on massive bits of gear used on US main lines where the rail is enormously heavy, running about 130 lb/yard. UK practice was a much lighter profile at about 80/90 lb/yard and in your area and era probably lighter still. Rumor3 has some very nice crossing checkrails 79563:100110 and 112 which might be better suited, but unfortunately the bulk asset replacer can't be used on trackside assets and I know what a fiddle they are to fit!
Pic for comparison...

Andy :)

Annie I notice you are using JointedRail's crossing checkrails. These are very good models, but are based on massive bits of gear used on US main lines where the rail is enormously heavy, running about 130 lb/yard. UK practice was a much lighter profile at about 80/90 lb/yard and in your area and era probably lighter still. Rumor3 has some very nice crossing checkrails 79563:100110 and 112 which might be better suited, but unfortunately the bulk asset replacer can't be used on trackside assets and I know what a fiddle they are to fit!
Pic for comparison...

<picture snipped>

Andy :)

Those horrid great pieces of kit were used by the layout's original builder for some unknown reason Andy. I've been gradually working on replacing them with a frog and check rail model by frank_dean, but these aren't always ideal for all locations. The ones by rumour3 you posted look to be a lot better so I'll certainly give them a go. Thanks for telling me about them.
For some strange reason I didn't know about rumour3's checkrails despite using his Uk Bullhead track for ages. Yes this kind of thing is tedious to fit, but I think it's well worth doing. I could just convert to procedural track, but with an existing legacy layout that's likely to open its own can of worms.

EDIT: Rumour3's check rails are very good and look convincing once properly fitted in place, but they are soooo tedious and fiddly to work with. I'm going to keep at it though; - so far I have Ashington station and yard done and about a third of Castleton completed and I'll continue keeping on replacing the check rails station by station over the next few days until all those strange pieces of American ironware are gone.

Last edited:
Re post #4473 KotangaGirl
Goodly track work, Annie and great improvement on the original route.

Still in TANE

Cheers, Ken

1914 - 10 am London - Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Perth

During the summer of 1914 the 10 am from London passes Darlington on its way north.

Back