UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Looking good Lewisner, though a pity that you have had to start over from prior to the data loss. Shincliffe was quite a distinctive station with its cantilever style NER signal box and I find the original station building rather interesting too. I had Paul Mace build several different versions of NER Northern Division signal boxes but I did not reach the cantilever types at Shincliffe, Fencehouses, Usworth and Haltwhistle. If I recall it correctly Shincliffe signal box was modified part way through its life too. I think that there is a need for the 1840s style of station building and railway house, as typified by overhanging eaves and relatively large, finely dressed stone blocks. Examples such as Shincliffe and the railside houses near Relly Mill are examples of the period. I think that the station building at Boldon Colliery is a further example which is no longer with us.

Looking good Lewisner, though a pity that you have had to start over from prior to the data loss. Shincliffe was quite a distinctive station with its cantilever style NER signal box and I find the original station building rather interesting too. I had Paul Mace build several different versions of NER Northern Division signal boxes but I did not reach the cantilever types at Shincliffe, Fencehouses, Usworth and Haltwhistle. If I recall it correctly Shincliffe signal box was modified part way through its life too. I think that there is a need for the 1840s style of station building and railway house, as typified by overhanging eaves and relatively large, finely dressed stone blocks. Examples such as Shincliffe and the railside houses near Relly Mill are examples of the period. I think that the station building at Boldon Colliery is a further example which is no longer with us.

Thanks, the GT Andrews style of station was common throughout the NER and one of my local stations, Millfield was a good example although it was designed by Thomas Prosser. There was actually a predecessor to Shincliffe box north of the road bridge which controlled a short branch to Shincliffe Colliery although this closed about 1900. One thing that puzzled me was why Shincliffe South box was where it was but it suddenly hit me that this was the summit of a long climb from Tursdale Junction and it must have been there to allow bankers to detach from northbound trains.

re #posts by borderreiver and lewisner, mighty fine shots and info,always something new, many thanks.
re post #3815 KotangaGirl
Don't worry about the bear, he's been house trained, just needs a beer now and then.
Your Minehead branch looking good in TANE.
re post #3813 neville_hill
Thanks for the compliment.

Further locos to consider for "off" region in BR days; BR WR pannier tanks 1646 and 1649, transferred to Helmsdale 60C. to work the Dornoch branch.

STILL TANE

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

Hello Lewisner,

According to the NERA signal cabin register, Shincliffe Bank Top signal box, situated at 4 miles 71 chains and 16 links from Ferryhill No.3 box had a short working life, opening in 1904 and closing in 1911. It had 20 levers.
Looking at the NLS 25 inch map for 1895 my guess is the closure came about with the abolition of the two refuge setback sidings provided at the location, one on the down and one on the up line.
With a mile and a quarter 1 in 177 climb to the box in the down direction and a mile and a third 1 in 198 climb in the up direction these do not look like grades to me which normally required banking assistance.

Hello Lewisner,

According to the NERA signal cabin register, Shincliffe Bank Top signal box, situated at 4 miles 71 chains and 16 links from Ferryhill No.3 box had a short working life, opening in 1904 and closing in 1911. It had 20 levers.
Looking at the NLS 25 inch map for 1895 my guess is the closure came about with the abolition of the two refuge setback sidings provided at the location, one on the down and one on the up line.
With a mile and a quarter 1 in 177 climb to the box in the down direction and a mile and a third 1 in 198 climb in the up direction these do not look like grades to me which normally required banking assistance.

Well your logic is sound but presumably there was a reason for the Bank Top suffix ?
The box name has been duly amended and here is Flying Scotsman passing on an express.

Flying Scotsman at Shincliffe Bank Top 16.4.2021 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

So many good screenshots, - well done all of you.

I'm now in TANE as well Ken. It's taken me a good while to do it, but finally today I had my main large Norfolk layout and its sessions fully installed into TANE SP3 with no missing dependencies. Now it's all the small fixing and adjustment jobs left to do, but there doesn't seem to be too many of those.

QR9yYlm.jpg

Further locos to consider for "off" region in BR days; BR WR pannier tanks 1646 and 1649, transferred to Helmsdale 60C. to work the Dornoch branch.

Cheers, evilcrow

Ah! The Hawksworth 1600s! Excellent example Ken!

Shame that those little pannier tanks barely got a chance to work anything before BR hauled them off to Cashmoores and Barry Island. They were extremely useful at Cornish sheds though.

Interestingly enough, I just bought the new 1649 model from Rapido Trains to add to my layout. That pannier started at St.Phillips Marsh before being sent to St.Blazey where it worked until 1959. From there it was sent to Helmsdale where it spent the last of its days.

It was also one of the only 1600s painted in unlined green during the early years of BR. Quite an interesting little loco! :D

Great shots! That's a very interesting signal box there in the first pic and also the wooden boxes that the rodding is emerging from Ken. Is that an improvisation? And what signal box is it?

Paul

Excellent pictures as usual Ken. I'm a bit nervous about upgrading to SP4 in case everything gets busted and needs day's worth of work to fix it all.

The B&FER 'Boat Train' from Foxhollow Wharf. The original MB&FER livery was green and No.3,- which has always been the boat train engine, - is a hold out by works staff against it being repainted blue.

1zqtBfH.jpg

The wharf station at Foxhollow. Foxhollow is still a WIP. One of the reasons I moved my alternative Norfolk layout from TS2012 to TANE was that TS2012 was seriously wilting trying to run the layout in Driver and in Surveyor there were far too many lengthy pauses when I tried to do anything.

QIPj4Hv.jpg

A snap taken from the footbridge on platform 3 at the joint line station at Brenton Wood.

CheymUp.jpg

Bluebell Magna station deep in the heart of former B&FER territory.

xUdTa7O.jpg

Moxbury! Gate to the West, - or that's what the company brochures said not long before the official receivers moved in. The GER seeing a bargain were quick to snap up the B&FER before the Affiliated (Imaginary) Railway Companies could effect a rescue.

XpDolZh.jpg

Zdt9R2S.jpg

Bunbury. Or I should say 'alternative' Bunbury. After I named the town and station I was told that there really was a village named Bunbury in Cheshire County dangerously close to the LNWR Cheshire-Crewe mainline. However having already done all the running boards & etc I refused to change the name, - so Bunbury it is and shall be ever more.

5Z3v4SM.jpg

Great shots Evilcrow and KotangaGirl. I love the variety!

Evilcrow, your lighting and shadows are simply magic.

KotangaGirl, the sign says Bunbury, so as you say, it shall be ever more. :D

Heinrich505

I'm enjoying the shots of GWR stock in BR black livery. I've always thought most GWR locos look nicer in black than green (probably a controversial opinion). Even better are the small number of classes (Halls, Counties, some Saints and Manors) that appeared in the mixed traffic lined black with red backed number plates.

Partaking in refreshment at The Nags Head, Bunbury, sat in the pub garden on a quiet weekday afternoon one is likely to hear one of these passing by on WCML, the line is less than a mile to the north!

https://manchestergazette.co.uk/wp-c...er-Gazette.jpg

Toothpaste Tube Train! :hehe:
Sorry Rob, but I'm sure the Nag's Head pub garden at (real) Bunbury is very nice though.

Normally I check imaginary place names to make sure they aren't a real one, but this time I forgot.

Nice shots KotangaGirl, I like the carriages, are they Ken Green originals?

Thanks Rob, it was fun being a virtual trainspotter and taking the snaps.

The carriages are by Ken Green, but with my teak artwork adapted to suit the coach body meshes. I'm sorely tempted to do a whole rake of them, but I'd really need to ask Ken first.

Re post #3834 Paulsw2
Hello Paul,
the wooden boxes are by Wujek 082 <kuid:440847:50436> get them here http://trainzart.pl/downloads.php?cat_id=2. I've sunk them in the ground by -1
The signal box is by Steve Flanders get it here http://www.jatws.org/ing4trainz/gwr-buildings.htm
Both sites have lots of other excellent stuff.

re post #3835 KotangaGirl,
Hello Annie,
Good to see you getting to grips with TANE, nice effect your sceenshots have.

re post #3836 Heinrich505
Thanks for the compliment Heinrich505. The lighting is all down to whats in environment and post processing settings. (I can never rember what I did the last time).

re post #3838 edh6

I remember the 1985 GWR 150 railtours and how magnificent 7819 Hinton Manor looked in BR black.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, Ken

A3 60084 Trigo heads north past the lonely outpost of Whitwell signalbox on the Leamside line. Sadly I never visited this box and it was demolished in 1995, 4 years after the line closed. There used to be a coal mine and small village here but the mine closed in 1874 and the village disappeared by the 1930s.

Trigo at Whitwell 19.4.2021 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

I'm enjoying the shots of GWR stock in BR black livery. I've always thought most GWR locos look nicer in black than green (probably a controversial opinion). Even better are the small number of classes (Halls, Counties, some Saints and Manors) that appeared in the mixed traffic lined black with red backed number plates.

You're not alone in that opinion Ed! I quite like the Lined Black many of the GWR locos wore and the red numberplates are my absolute favorite. My 9400 model has them fixed to them and it's quite a sight on the layout! :)

The most common 4-6-0s to wear that livery would probably have been the 6959 Modified Halls, 7800 Manors, and the 4700 Night Owl Class. But the two most commonly painted black GWR Classes were the 4300 moguls and the 6800 Grange Class.

The Granges were painted in BR Black from the start of BR and only a few locomotives recieved the Brunswick Green during the early years of BR. (Bodicote Grange being one of them! :D

Personally I think that was a good choice given how they were built for goods trains - really don't care for the undersized Churchward Tenders they fixed to them though! :hehe:

Back