Page 214 of 215 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215 LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 3224

Thread: UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

United States of America, Texas, Dickinson

We are held up at the crossover to the Hunstone Coal Mine, due to oncoming traffic.

My fireman has an excellent view of a King George V pulling a fast through express past the crossover and into the 30 mph zone, the reason for us holding. He gives a friendly wave but gets none in return. "Snobs," he grumbles. "Can't acknowledge the little people, eh? Oooh La La!" He throws another shovelful of coal into the firebox to hide his anger.

One almost gets the feeling that the through express is annoyed at the inconvenience of having to slow down to 30 mph - they are, after all, the through express.

As the express starts to recede in the distance, our signal snaps clear to cross, and I let out the cutoff and ease up the regulator. Us little people continue on our run.

Later on, at the engine shed, the fireman will still regale any who can hear him about the matter. "Couldn't even deign to wave!"

re post #3194 Heinrich505
    Thanks for the compliment Heinrich.
    re post #3195 Lataxe
    The route is very much a WIP, I'm attempting to make it as fully seasonal as I can. I regret it will not be possible to release it as it has many payware seasonal textures. Being TANE it's also no doubt becoming outdated. Many thanks for the kind compliments and if you wish to incorporate my " Somewhere in Scotland" into your route please feel free to so and if you wish up load the composite route to the DLS I will have no problem with that.
    It will be some time before I attempt another route for the DLS, I still have to purchase TRS19
    Many thanks once again.

Cheers, evilcrow

Hold on... Is that a B4? Is that my B4?! I'm extremely honored that you would include it in one of your wonderful screenshots Evilcrow! You really have made it look so much more beautiful with your lighting magic!

One more from me before I head off to bed.

Dearnby and District - Taking the 2600 Aberdare out for a stroll! Many thanks to new content creator Pilotwoo!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Tanker46; October 17th, 2020 at 08:06 AM.
    Tanker46

Member of TCWW - Developer of the Brighton Project

re post #3198 Tanker46

Here you go Tanker46, another shot of your excellent B4, I hope you don't mind that I've added a 71A shed plate and changed the lamps to SR discs.

Cheers, evilcrow

The Coal Run

It was only a little after 6:00 AM, and driver Patrick Thornton was thoroughly annoyed. He’d been assigned a bloody puppy for the morning coal run. Dash my stinking luck, he thought to himself. He had Mickey Parmenter, age 19, trailing on behind him as they moved towards their engine, old reliable 5138. She was a 5100 Class and a good engine.

The Shedmaster took Thornton aside as soon as he arrived at the engine shed. Patrick knew something was up, as the old man rarely expressed any friendly familiarity with his drivers, but here he was now, with his arm around Patrick’s shoulder. Patrick knew this was going to be bad.

The Shedmaster explained that they’d gotten a new fireman, transferred over from an eastern railroad while Patrick was off for a few days, and the new lad was rubbing everyone wrong, so he was being assigned to Patrick on an easy coal run, because Patrick had the reputation of getting on right with just about anyone. Just be gentle with the lad, he counseled. The assignment was obviously not a request.

Patrick recognized this for what it was – the old man was blowing smoke up his skirt all right. He knew that all the other drivers had refused, one after the other, to work with the lad any further, as he would have done too, but he was off for a few days, making him odd man out when he showed up this morning. Well, that will teach me for taking some time off, he mused angrily to himself.

As he stalked across the tracks towards 5138, one of the drivers, old Bodger, eased over and intercepted him, grinning mischievously. Bodger leaned in and in a lowered voice, said, “Try not to kill Icky, eh Patrick? It won’t look good for his first run out for the day.” He did this so Patrick’s new fireman couldn’t overhear.

In response to Pat’s momentarily confused look, Bodger said conspiratorially, “He has a heavy eastern accent, so instead of Mickey, we all call ‘im Icky behind his back, on account as ‘es pretty icky.” With that, he roared with laughter and trotted off to his Class 45.

Patrick stopped and lowered his head, sighing heavily. “What was that all about?” asked Mickey. Patrick just shook his head and walked to the engine. As they climbed up into the cab, Mickey loudly exclaimed, “Wot’s this? Driver controls on the right side? A right-sider? Come on, I’m a lefty. I’ll be shoveling right hand and I’ll be doing double duty watching the signals for you! That’s right messed, it is!” Pat shut him down when he suggested Mickey go complain to the shedmaster and demand a left side engine.

Despite the fact that Mickey was predictably turning out to be a frightful pain in the backside, he was efficient, and they quickly had the engine warmed up and impatiently pawing the rails, ready to head out. Pat pulled off with a roar of the whistle, a small show of how annoyed he was, and then he backed across the mainlines to pick up a rake of empty coal wagons. The run was to the coal yard in Dearne-On- Sea, where they would leave the empties in the yard and pick up loaded coal wagons. They’d bring them back to Dearnby and then the wagons would be delivered to local yards as assigned.

Patrick brought his train to a smooth stop at the stop signal for Lammas Junction. He checked the signal box platform and saw Maggie Roberts, in full control as always. Mickey noticed his driver’s attention was focused on the signal box and crowded in to have a look see.

“Wot’s that? A bird? What’s she doing in the box? Visiting?” he said.

Patrick turned on his fireman in fully fury mode. “That is Margaret Roberts, wife and widow of one of our drivers, Roger Roberts. She is the signalman for Lammas Junction. You will be respectful to her at all times, calling her Mrs. Roberts. You will wave cordially to her when you pass. Do you understand?”

Mickey was taken aback by Patrick’s outburst. He actually stepped back a bit, but then a cruel smile spread across his face and he remarked, “Ah, okay, I see, so you fancy her, eh?”

“Mrs. Roberts was working the railroad before you were knee-high in knickers. When Roger was working the Lammas Junction, after moving off of engines, she would spend her days with him in the signal box, helping out. She learned the times and routes and sometimes worked the cranky levers, helping Roger out. They made a perfect team.

“One day Roger was hustling down the stairs to try and smooth out one of the switches that was acting up – some debris had gotten caught in it and it wasn’t working quite right. He fell down the stairs, was knocked unconscious, and lay there, bleeding and badly injured. This was right around the busy time when noon traffic picks up.

“Maggie had to keep working the switches, as the trains kept coming on. Finally, she caught the attention of a fireman on one of the freights that had stopped for signals. The fireman managed to get Roger onto the floorplate of their engine and they rushed him to hospital in Dearnby. Meanwhile, in all the excitement, everyone forgot about Lammas Junction, and Maggie worked the shift out, worried sick about Roger but unable to leave the post unattended.

“The railroad commissioner came down to give Mrs. Roberts some kind of award, but she would have none of it. She said that Lammas Junction was her signal box now, until Roger recovered. She’s worked it ever since, even after Roger passed. He never did quite recover from his injuries. Our suspicions that she was related to the railroad commissioner were pretty much confirmed at that. There had never been a woman signal box operator before then. The commissioner officially assigned her to Lammas.

“She deserves respect. If I hear you failed to wave to her or speak ill of her, I’ll shove you off my train at speed, and say you lost your balance and fell. She’s more railroad than you’ll ever be.” With that, he turned back to look forward.

Mickey was dead silent, and then managed to stammer out, “Signal’s clear.” Patrick let off a whistle blast and started up. As he eased the cutoff open, he leaned out and waved vigorously, calling out Maggie’s name. She waved back, a broad smile on her face. She looked so at home in the early morning sunlight. She was all railroad.

As Patrick approached the narrow neck entrance to the coal yard at Dearne on Sea, he was greeted with a mythic labyrinth of crisscrossing tracks and slip-switches. It was amazing that any train managed to navigate this without getting shunted onto the wrong sidings.

He was still seething at the idiot he had for a fireman. Mickey hadn’t said anything further since Lammas Junction, but kept up the coal fairly well and watched the water levels properly. As they passed through the narrow corridor that then opened out into the coal yard, he spotted their siding, right next to the rake of loaded coal wagons.

“Listen, fireman,” he said sternly to Mickey, “You aren’t from around here. You have many years before you can test for driver. If you have any hope of making that, you keep your mouth shut, eyes wide open, learn all you can about how things work here, and go along to get along. Otherwise, you’ll be taking fares as a bus conductor on a two storey local.”

Life on the railroad.

Great shots and stories guys! Apologies I haven't had many if any shots coming out. I'm not 100% happy with the mapping and UTD placement on the NVR/NVLR so nothing interesting (in my opinion) to show. Between work and some testing I do for Star Citizen I don't have as much time as I like. I don't wish for a lockdown, just the spare time I had during it
    Please consider joining the British Train Sim Discord

https://discord.gg/7tDJHpw

Two freights pass at speed in the Dearne-On-Sea yard, expertly switched by the signalman. Note the passenger coach in the background, slowing as it approaches the main passenger terminal.

REDACTED for Opening in Wrong Format
    Last edited by Tanker46; October 18th, 2020 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Opened in Wrong Format
    Tanker46

Quote Originally Posted by evilcrow View Post
    re post #3198 Tanker46

Here you go Tanker46, another shot of your excellent B4, I hope you don't mind that I've added a 71A shed plate and changed the lamps to SR discs.

Cheers, evilcrow

No I don't mind at all! You're an excellent content creator and I don't mind you tinkering with the model as long as its tasteful! You have my full permission!

I really like the second screenshot of the Standard 4 with a mixed goods. The steam effect looks stunning in the snow and I really like the Drummond 700 Class simmering in the background!

Also, excellent screenshots Heinrich! I must take some time to read through you whole story! It looks really interesting!
    Tanker46

Time for some more Pre-Grouping Dearnby!

In 1900 the GWR began building a class of 2-6-0 locomotives designed by William Dean for hauling heavy coal trains between Swindon and Aberdare. The design was a resounding success and as such the 'Aberdare Class' was born.

When the first locomotives of this class were constructed, they were loaned out to multiple different regions in the southwest to test the viability of the new engine class on other areas of the GWR's network.

Dearnby Central was one of those regions. Although the GWR wouldn't have a permanent MPD presence there until 1925, the Aberdares allocated there were permitted to be roaded in the sheds owned by the LSWR - for a substantial fee of course.

Aberdare No. 2633 was one of the most profitable engines the GWR had at Dearnby and remained in service until it's scrapping in 1949. During it's tenure on the Dearnby District it worked almost exclusively as a goods engine and helped the industries of Dearnby flourish.

[IMG][/IMG]

On this day, the 2600 class is filling up on coal for a drop-off goods as every coal station between St Bennett and Dearnby Junction is in need of a top up.

Stopped by signals, 2633 waits for a LSWR stopping train to pass by to begin it's journey.
    Tanker46

Further down the line, the stopping train received the all clear signal to pass to Dearnby Central. The locomotive in question is LSWR T9 No.703 a "Greyhound" of Drummond's own making.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The Greyhounds were considerably popular and stayed in the majority of the LSWR's main MPDs for express passenger work in and out of major cities. No.703 is filling in for one of Dearnby's P14s as it is due for an annual maintenance check. Many years later Dearnby would become a safe haven for many Greyhounds (including No.703) as they were phased out in favor of stronger and faster locomotives.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

As 703 passes with the stopping train, the signalman gives the go ahead and switches the points so that 2633 can head on its way.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Tanker46

Excellent shots Tanker46 and Heirich505.

Cheers, evilcrow