UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Hello taillight98, all the wagons in shot, including the high sided wooden hopper to former NER Diagram P7, were built for me by Paul Mace of Paulztrainz.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg
Ex GCR N5 0-6-2T on Lincolnshire branch line.

1921 - ECML - A P3 and Empties to Low Fell yard

The UK East Coast Main Line a hundred years ago during the last years of the North Eastern Railway. Sir Vincent Raven has turned out a superheated version of his predecessor Wilson Worsdell's P3 Class 0-6-0 tender engines. One of them, No. 2338 of Heaton shed brings a down working of empty wagons from Croft yard near Darlington to Low Fell yard near Gateshead. Two wagons from repair at Shildon head the train, with a long rake of empty cattle wagons for Stranraer via Low Fell yard, Blaydon yard and Carlisle, where the N.E.R. will turn over the rake to the Glasgow & South Western Railway. At the rear is a rake of empty 10.5 Ton N.E.R. Coke wagons.

Above, leaving the two-track ECML at Ouston Junction to take the ECML Down Slow on the four-track section to Low Fell.

The train on the Down Slow to the south of Birtley station.

After passing the station at Birtley.

After passing the station at Lamesley.

After passing the station at Low Fell.

Taking the down entry for Low Fell yard. Also evident is the grade down to the yard in the Team Valley.

Arrival in Low Fell yard.

Mark , that last shot is like the Titfield Thunderbolt in colour ! Beautiful shot.

Here are a couple of shots from Leamside station on the line of the same name. I extended the old East Coast route from Durham to Leamside a few years ago (I forget how many !) but I now have it fully mapped from Washington to Tursdale Junction with reasonable accuracy. It's still going to be a hell of a long job though. Both photos show 60534 Irish Elegance heading north, the first at Auckland Junction south of the station, the second in the station itself.

60534 At Leamside (1) 5.3.2021 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

60534 At Leamside (2) 5.3.2021 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

1956 - Q7 and Iron Ore Train from Sunderland South Dock

Q7 0-8-0 brings an iron ore train from Sunderland South Dock to Consett via the Lanchester valley line.

Ah! The ORIGINAL Warship! One of the two buzzboxes I'm actually a fan of! The other being Bullied's D16/2 of course!

After a long hiatus I finally have an update on my backdating project of Dearnby and District! Please excuse the supernova lighting as I am still trying to get the blasted lighting where I want it!

After double checking over and making sure I didn't miss any automobiles I finally have begun converting the BR signals to pre-grouping era ones! So far 75% of the signals at Dearnby Central (Dearne-on-Sea) have been switched over to their LSWR contemporaries. I couldn't have done this without Chrisaw's marvelous LSWR signals and gantry bridges - they look marvelous!

BrrJqrn.jpg
[/IMG]

8OkBaHU.jpg
[/IMG]

EIpWIUC.jpg
[/IMG]

5Xk9IwR.jpg
[/IMG]

ZAEEw9o.jpg
[/IMG]

Secondly, I did another overhaul of the ships in the dockyard. Steveflanders released several reskinned ship models and I couldn't resist including them at the dockside.

UQW02kf.jpg
[/IMG]

RGEPSpj.jpg
[/IMG]

bJWVDV6.jpg
[/IMG]

WIMxwOc.jpg
[/IMG]

LxbEJYz.jpg
[/IMG]

One last set of shots from me. I previously had a discussion about transatlantic liners visiting close to shore during this era and found out that it almost never happened. The closest any liner got to England was the RMS Queen Mary at a stop over near the Isle of Wight.

gwvmky0.jpg
[/IMG]

However, I did discover that several of the famous White Star, Cunard and CGT liners would occasionally take on coal from local colliers if they were running low on coal themselves. This occurrence was rare but given the nature of the project I decided to include it as an exception.

So here's the famous Cunarder RMS Mauretania getting a top up outside Dearnby Harbor on her way home to Liverpool. Local tug Goliath holds her in place while the collier lines up properly.

sgNMbVS.jpg
[/IMG]

bJowRsQ.jpg
[/IMG]

This is looking good! I hereby emit a "gimme"! :) Your dock & ship tweaks are interesting and a good move to more prototypical or realistic conditions. Perhaps I will do a copy-cat for the 50-60s BR version of the route. A better driveable ferry than the big ship currently used in D&D would be one improvement but I can't find one on the DLS.

Dearnby & District is building up a head of steam in the virtual works of various route & session authors. A revised Version 2 route will be uploaded before too long, configured for session builders using Enhanced Interlocking Towers (EIT) but otherwise unchanged from Neville's first upload of Version 2. Two EIT session authors have been collaborating with me (as the revised route tweaker) to produce EIT sessions, one of which will be uploaded at about the same time as the revised route. The route and this session will be for TANE SP4 but also work in TRS19.

The second session is made just for TRS19 and will come a bit later, when the author perfects it.

The revised route, though, can also be used to make older-fashioned non-EIT sessions, should anyone wish to do so. The route itself will be free of any embedded locos or rolling stock except for a very few scenic items. The portals will also be unpopulated in the route so that session builders have a blank canvas, so to speak.

When this revised route and first EIT session are uploaded, a post will be made in the Freeware forum section with some notes about them.

In time there is to be a Version 3 of Dearnby & District; and further versions, each of which will have extensions. I can tell you that Neville's very high standards and artistry in making these extensions is being applied! Upgrade your GPUs now! :)

Dearnby & District proliferates, then. It's good to see it do so, especially via various collaborations and re-uses. Perhaps there are others who might like to make contributions? Neville and me have always wanted an expert in Trainz industry stuff to help with making some well-organised railway deliveries beyond the coal and mail services in the current D&D........... For TRS19, people knowledgeable about PBR textures and the Turfy stuff would be a great boon........... Any volunteers?

Lataxe

Thanks Lataxe! I'm definitely looking forward to the new version of Dearnby and District! I really enjoy the current version and I can't wait to see what you and Neville come up with next! Are you planning on extending past St.Bennett?

I took your advice on the replacement of signals and speedboards but I can't seem to find any UK era speedboards that would fit into the route. So for the meanwhile I plan to just do the signals and see if I can find a suitable replacement later.

Originally I planned to have three types of signals on the route to represent the three railways operating on the network. LSWR Sigs from Dearnby Central to Dearnby Junction, GWR Sigs from Bucklenor to Dearnby Docks, and LNWR Signals from Badgercombe all the way to St.Bennett. However, I realized that Chrisaw hasn't made any LNWR Signals and that it would be far too confusing to do that so I just went with the LSWR standard. I think that it will do perfectly since I am basing this version of Dearnby on Burnham on Sea.

I also plan to do a Grouping Act Era Version and a WW2 Version but I have my hands full with my work and family at the moment (not to mention my other Trainz projects) but I can't thank you enough for the praise. It really means a lot coming from you and Neville! :D

Regarding speedboards Tanker there's only really the Uk metal number on a stick ones that are either white or yellow. The white ones are the older type that were replaced circa the late 1930s due to them being invisible in snow conditions which caused more than a few bad derailments in bad weather. I think the metal number on a stick type are a ECML design, but I'm not certain about this and I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable than me will know better.

I use these invisible speedboards by biddle on my own layouts.

zQVkpQg.jpg

White cutout speed boards were an LNER design from the late 1930s that was then adopted by other regions of BR later on. The change from white to yellow was made after winter of '63 when snow was bad.

Before this design was introduced most railways didn't use any speed signs and the drivers were expected to know how fast they should be going along each part of the line (they also had to know how fast they were going by the feel of their engine, as very few locos had speedometers fitted). Sometimes a sign might be provided in exceptional circumstances which normally took the form of a standard notice board with painted lettering. The GWR also had a limited system with illuminated numerals.

More info here: https://www.railsigns.uk/sect13page1/sect13page1.html

Now I feel a lot more informed Ed. Thanks for posting the info link. I knew that the GWR during my period of interest used painted notice boards, but as to what they looked like was a complete mystery.

Back