UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Tanker46,
Great shots of the route, and it had me looking up the Furness Railway, as I was completely unfamiliar with it.

I absolutely love the shots of the FR 4-6-4t No. 117, especially where she is pulling the 5 wagon blue & white passenger consist. What a beauty! :cool:

Regards,
Gary

Thanks Gary! The FR Baltic is a freeware design by Camscott and the blue and white wagons are actually 3rd Class Coaches by Robd. You can find them on the DLS. I also have his L&Y A1 Class and his Furness Railway K1 working the line.

The rest of the roster is a L&Y Class 5 and Class 27 (both by Camscott) a K2 built by a great modeler on Discord, and a Furness Railway G5 0-6-0T by Choco from Discord as well.

Turns out that there's quite a bit of space to run them all!

#4750. Good to see some more of your town building Tanker.

#4757. I had a quick look at Hotshotjimmy's Midsomer Valley Railway, but I'm trying to stay away from being distracted by any more routes at the moment since I have some of my own I want to finish. Nice to see your own screenshots though Tanker, - and especially the Furness models by RobD and Camscott which are rare sights in pre-grouping screenshots.

Thanks Annie! It's nice to take a break from heavy route building and just run trains for a while! :)

To be honest I have been absolutely confuddled with the construction of North Coulsdon and Purley Station. It's not so much the station itself as it is the approach to them. It's so hard to tell where the embankments end and begin! I feel like I need to take a ride on the route before I get an accurate account of the actual gradients and changes in the route itself. I'm definitely going to have to go back and edit a lot of stuff after I finish the run to Victoria.

Paul has been a godsend in all this. His buildings and photography are what helped me out with Redhill and Merstham and I can't appreciate him enough. Going to have to name a special train after him!! :hehe:

Sorry I've been away chaps. Other projects and real life work has curtailed my spirit for modelling again. Wonderful to see the Midsomer Railway still being enjoyed and worked on by others. It's getting quite an old route these days, was started in TRS2004!. I also see Wathdale made it into the Newsletter which is awesome, great pics PeterWise!

Much love,

Hj

BLUEBELL RAILWAY GALA I know on this thread several taken an interest & model the SR & its pre grouping companies. This week end the Bluebell preserved line are holding an Autumn Steam Gala with SR theme. One guest is RBMN Clan Line 35028 & is rare for this loco to work on a Heritage line. What is interesting is they have some webcams at some stations along the line ^ Kingscote is an ex LBSCR gem. Although no ex LBSCR taking part ex SECR H 0-4-4T 263 makes an appears tomorrow & Sunday. Just Google Bluebell railway webcams & you will find them. Hope this may be of interest to somebody who visits here seeing the engines at work.

Thanks Annie! It's nice to take a break from heavy route building and just run trains for a while! :)

To be honest I have been absolutely confuddled with the construction of North Coulsdon and Purley Station. It's not so much the station itself as it is the approach to them. It's so hard to tell where the embankments end and begin! I feel like I need to take a ride on the route before I get an accurate account of the actual gradients and changes in the route itself. I'm definitely going to have to go back and edit a lot of stuff after I finish the run to Victoria.

Paul has been a godsend in all this. His buildings and photography are what helped me out with Redhill and Merstham and I can't appreciate him enough. Going to have to name a special train after him!! :hehe:

Is there anything of use on Youtube Tanker? I've mostly been looking for pre-grouping lines when I've been doing route searches on Youtube. Last time I was looking I was after films of the old Metropolitan lines and I found a few cab camera film clips that were useful. It's worth a look as you might get lucky and find a film clip that answers your questions.

Affiliated (Imaginary) Railway Companies No.1 pauses between shunting duties.

lpTcxiS.jpg

Is there anything of use on Youtube Tanker? I've mostly been looking for pre-grouping lines when I've been doing route searches on Youtube. Last time I was looking I was after films of the old Metropolitan lines and I found a few cab camera film clips that were useful. It's worth a look as you might get lucky and find a film clip that answers your questions.

Affiliated (Imaginary) Railway Companies No.1 pauses between shunting duties.

lpTcxiS.jpg

There are Annie. There's a fantastic film shot in 1953 from the cab of an EMU that covers the London to Brighton Route, but it runs too fast for me to really capture anything useful. The route into London begins to go through some crazy up and down gradients that I have to choice but to model one at a time using my own judgement.

Paul's buildings will be needed for nearly every station. Places like East Croydon and Streatham Hill had extremely unique station buildings that can be suplemented for other buildings easily. I'm going to have to comission each one at a time.

I love that 2-4-0T by the way. Very adorable and looks like a joy to operate. :)

Thanks Tanker. No.1, - and No.2 as well, are both heavily 'kitbashed' using one of Paul's loco body shells as a basis. I've done quite a lot of work on them including developing and writing an engine spec for them. On my Norfolk layout they have a high route availability and are permitted to work over the more lightly laid sections as well as parts of the tramways where there's no BOT restrictions. I really like their distinctive late 19th century appearance as well which should come as no surprise.

It's really good that Paul has been able to help you out with buildings for your project. Having the right station buildings is going to go a long way towards making your Brighton project come alive.

The route into London begins to go through some crazy up and down gradients that I have to choice but to model one at a time using my own judgement.

Really that's all you can do when it comes right down to it and if anyone wants to criticise ask them to show you the one that they did.

Last edited:
Very nice to see Swanage back again PLP. Those are some great early morning screenshots.

A Y14 at work at Elgar Junction on my Norfolk layout.

1eUaC4W.jpg

Great shots Annie!

Here the 08 with the brakevan special returns from Furzebrook, first seen at Motala and then at Norden level crossing:
F8dUCq6.jpg

ImCwT9f.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Eek diesel alert! Seriously though PLP those are a nice pair of summery screenshots.

I've been doing a fair bit of Y14 testing just recently while I've been getting the three I have on my Norfolk layout sorted out in TRS19. Mostly it's been the env_metal/m.reflect adjustment thing as well as trying to sort out the broken steam effects in TRS19.

YMS9nk9.jpg

Look away now if you're offended by a) diesels and b) modern diesels on a heritage line.

In a 'what might have been' scenario had the Furzebrook oil terminal not been mothballed, class 70 70007 heads towards Furzebrook to pick up an oil train. Seen below on the curve from Worgret Junction:
TRjJkpy.jpg

Approaching Creech Bottom crossing:
oY9zofQ.jpg

And then accelerating away:
ydAyt9n.jpg

The approach to Furzebrook. It's less than a quarter of a mile away:
orYx9nj.jpg

Fortunately (depending on your view), Furzebrook was mothballed and no such trains run today. Below is a screenshot of Furzebrook as it currently is - discussions are ongoing between the site owners and the SR to lease or buy it to develop an MPD there; sheds, turntable and perhaps a coaling area but these are yet to progress - due in no small part to a clause in the original contract stating that the land must be returned to nature once its use as an oil terminal comes to an end.
U1Iae6L.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Last edited:
We were lucky enough to be able to view the train on its way back to Wareham, seen here approaching Creech Bottom:
mcrV6DB.jpg

R187Biu.jpg

Heading towards the River Frome and Worgret Junction:
3mnx7bV.jpg

Stopped at the signal before the junction:
MbG0k28.jpg

Approaching Worgret Junction:
fSId8lE.jpg

HFyiRiS.jpg

Worgret Junction itself:
vZpXRrm.jpg

rkNvSOo.jpg

Sailing through Wareham towards Poole - full speed ahead:
03YyZ4u.jpg

7QqwpMG.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Some great screenshots there PLP that really show off your wonderful scenic work. Modern diesels always look very strange to my eyes. I'm not 100% diesel adverse as I do have a liking for the early black and silver era BR diesels as well as the green era Western Region 'Warships'.
It would be good if Furzebrook could become a part of the preserved railway as once a line is lifted it's going to be a much more difficult process to get it reinstated again. As an aging 'greenie' I have respect for 'back to nature' clauses, but that shouldn't really exclude a preserved railway line if everything is dome properly and according to modern regulations.

Very Interesting display Parker! I'm going to have to agree with Annie on her diesel sentiment. The Early BR Diesels were something else. My favorites will always be the Bulleid D16/2 Diesels the Maunsell 350HP Shunters and the NBL Class 41 Warships (Sorry Annie!) :hehe: That class 70 looks like something out of a science fiction novel!

Speaking of Early BR, I figure now is a good a time as any to advertise this! I had this commission with Camscott set up around September but I had totally forgot about it until recently! I'm proud to introduce Cam's Maunsell Q Class 0-6-0T!

3Zo4PzE.jpg
[/IMG]

Quick fun fact: Did you know that the SR and LNER never ran on the same lines, but they exchanged goods services? It's true! Starting during WW2 and continuing until the end of steam on the Eastern and Southern Region in 1966 and 1967 respectively, a portion of the fish traffic was sent south from the eastern region via the East London Line and the Widened Lines. While the LNER leg of the train was headed by a variety of 0-6-0 locos, the SR return trains were almost always handled by the Q Class locos assigned to the South London Sheds.

heuzROP.jpg
[/IMG]

No. 30533 had almost always been a Norwood Junction loco for the majority of it's career. Running transfer goods and local passenger workings through the London Suburbs was it's bread and butter. However, on occasion it would be called upon for a special pickup goods traveling the north end of the LBSCR Main Line to pick up errant "Blue Spot" Vans that were emptied of their contents and were to be returned to their proper home on the Eastern Region.

trr7iyD.jpg
[/IMG]

mGOHKdr.jpg
[/IMG]

Having traveled down to Horley to pick up the south half of the train from a Brighton C2x, 30533 now travels briskly through Salfords on it's way to Norwood. It still has stops at Redhill, North Coulsdon, Purley, and East Croydon yards before bringing the train into Norwood for inspection and evening transport to the Eastern Region.

KgvyFyi.jpg
[/IMG]

CPD25QB.jpg
[/IMG]

As it continues past Salfords Station, N Class No.31868 sits at the platform with a Redhill to Three Bridges local service. No.31868 is a resident member of Redhill's loco roster and is just getting a run in after an extensive boiler retubing at the machine shops in Ashford.

Oh my, that's beautiful tanker. One of my favourite 0-6-0s of the Southern and one that could be found on Swanage in the 50s and 60s!

Cheers,

PLP

To further spam the thread with Swanage (as I'm sure some of you must be sick of the sight of it), here we see class 08 D3591 with a brakevan waiting at Harmans Cross for M7 30053 to arrive with the Swanage to Norden service:
zeaQaF3.jpg

iplK5p6.jpg

kRSsjGr.jpg

Np6ewas.jpg

We have the right away - to Swanage we go!

UkuMFMf.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

To further spam the thread with Swanage (as I'm sure some of you must be sick of the sight of it), here we see class 08 D3591 with a brakevan waiting at Harmans Cross for M7 30053 to arrive with the Swanage to Norden service:
zeaQaF3.jpg

iplK5p6.jpg

kRSsjGr.jpg

Np6ewas.jpg

We have the right away - to Swanage we go!

UkuMFMf.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Sick of Swanage? Not at all Parker! I'm actually quite curious about what you said regarding the Q Class.

Would you mind telling me what other engines were Swanage regulars during the BR Era? Might make for an interesting variation of the route one day! :D

The Q class was a regular performer over the branch in BR days; 30541 was photographed there several times taking the coal trains to Swanage. I can't find the exact image (it's in one of my books somewhere but here is 30541 at Wareham:
0sTh3Xn.jpg

The branch also saw M7s, 700s, Ivatt 2MTs and even some LMS 2Ps from the S&D on occasion. Of course, you also had your regular visitors such as light pacifics and 3MT and 4MT tanks and then in later years the line was primarily run by the 205 DEMUs.

Cheers,

PLP

Last edited:
Back