Page 209 of 215 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 3216

Thread: UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Unfortunately i have to agree with Annie. GPL models are decently built but most have very basic textures with no weathering or detail, save for some weathered skins for his 4F and 7F. And by modern standards, all the rivets are textured-on, which is fine for saving polys but makes the models look somewhat old by comparison to newer stuff. The textures are also low-res, i think 512x512 at most so they're quite blurry up-close. Some textures are also simple colors stretched over multiple areas so reskinning them is fairly difficult without changing tons of different parts at once.

A long while ago i spent some time doing my best to reskin some of his models for my own use. I planed on going back and doing more for myself but i essentially wanted to up-res and redo the textures from scratch, and after a while i stopped.

I think the slight metal texture i overlayed goes a long way in making the locomotive look somewhat more realistic. Unfortunately it ended up causing a lot of texture artifacting (the boiler and running board appear green if you look closely) that i wasn't able to resolve. Perhaps in the future i'll try again with some different, more involved methods.

For now though, you won't find more variety anywhere outside than GPL. He's got pretty much every major BR-LMS locomotive you'd want covered, and while they're pretty basic nowadays (they don't even have interchangeable headcode lamps, something that was standard on trainsim.co.uk's models in the 2006 era), they're still worth the asking price. His project page hasn't been updated since 2018, i hope he's doing well.

I had a chat with Gary a while ago via email and he's been having some problems which I won't go into here on a public forum. While his models are basic in their texturing and look a little old fashioned alongside the current crop of engines that are being made for Trainz they are nicely made and run well and I'm certainly happy to have them on the roster. If you're into the early LMR BR period like I am GPL is pretty much a one stop shop for locomotives.
    The rest of my early period LMR engines are TS2006 models so the GPL engines fit in fine.

Narcolepsy is not napping.

Quote Originally Posted by neville_hill View Post
    Like you, Annie, I really like GP Locomotives but I think you do them a disservice by calling them basic and simple. I suppose it depends exactly what kind of thing you are looking for and all the main locomotive creators (with whom we are truly blessed) have their particular strengths. . For what I do, I find Gary's models to be as sophisticated and realistically detailed as anything available and with an exceptional range of liveries to boot.
    Please don't misunderstand me Neville. I wasn't using 'basic and simple' as any kind of slur against the GP locomotives I have. The fact that they look like they should and run well without any kind of scripting or extra interactive attachments to end up being broken in later versions of Trainz is a major plus in my book.
    Having just purchased an unrebuilt 'Patriot', two 'Jubilees' and three 3F tank engines for Lickey from GPL should demonstrate how much I like Gary's engines.

Interesting points - I suppose we are all looking for slightly different things in our locomotives and so evaluations will vary according to our personal criteria. The great thing is that there seems to be something for everybody!
    Member of trainz-carriage-wagon-works

I don't have a problem saying GPL was exactly what I was looking for, LMR engines of a good quality. Basically bought the whole lot for my Wathdale route. Of course I can't place them for the MP but they are all fantastic and well placed when I run it solo. Ye they could probably use an update but honestly I think we can say that for any model older than T:ANE now. I hope Garys doing alright as I emailed him at the start of lockdown when I bought a rather large volume to his suprise
    Please consider joining the British Train Sim Discord

https://discord.gg/7tDJHpw

I do plan on ordering more from Gary in the coming weeks, provided my meager salary holds out. His models are still worth having, and they're better than the alternatives in some areas (when there is an alternative).

Meanwhile i'm currently working on a scenario pack for Neville's wonderful Dearnby & District v2.0 that i recently "rediscovered" so to speak. The first session is coming along nicely. Messing with environmental lighting is always fun, if tedious.

Dearnby & District is an absolute classic and I should take another look at it myself. Getting the environmental lighting adjusted correctly is one of the 'joys' of owning TS2019 and something a lot of Trainz folk struggle with. I can now more or less tame the lighting in TS2019, but it took a while to learn how.
    I've just purchased two "BRITISH RAILWAYS' Fowler 2P's that were shedded at Bath from GPL so that my Carlisle shedded 2P can return to Middle Vales so that should be a little more pocket money for Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    ...Getting the environmental lighting adjusted correctly is one of the 'joys' of owning TS2019 and something a lot of Trainz folk struggle with...
    You're so right, it's an absolute pig's orphan to set up and it more or less 'kills' TRS2019 for me!

Nice screenshots and nice to see some of Gary Prices' models which have definitely stood the test of time and don't take up massive amounts of disk space, unlike some more recent payware models!

Rob.

KotangaGirl / chris2001trainz2010 - thanks for the Dearnby and District comments. I'm amazed that there have been more than 30,000 downloads of the routes and sessions. Good luck on getting those sessions finished and on the DLS. Meanwhile work on V3 plods on.
    Member of trainz-carriage-wagon-works

Well to be honest Neville, it's not hard to see why it's so popular. The Dockyard setup, the detailed towns and stations, and there's the fact you put an airplane track in to do a complete flyover of the entire route which is breathtaking.

The thing that won me over was the 2ft Narrow Gauge line that you put in. I have never scene such an intricate and detailed Narrow Gauge Layout done as well as yours was.The line is woven into the cities and towns like stiching into fabric and is entwined with every industry and station you come across. I turned my version into a SR 1930s run and I operate Ed's L&B locos exclusively on the route. I hope I can fit the Volks Electric Railway into my Brighton Route in a similar fashion to your masterpiece.

Now that I am getting into route building myself I know how much time and dedication is needed to pull something like this off. I hope that when I finally release my project it can at least halfway measure up to this masterpiece.

Thanks for your hard work and I can't wait to see V3!
    Tanker46

Member of TCWW - Developer of the Brighton Project

It's that Garratt again. Work continues on Lickey with updating ground textures and grasses.

2P slogging up the gradient to Blackwell.

Annie, you are aware Big Bertha, the Lickey Banker exists on the DLS?
    Malc

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Annie, you are aware Big Bertha, the Lickey Banker exists on the DLS?
    Yes thanks Malc and the BR version of Big Bertha has been making itself at home on my rebuilt Lickey layout for a week or so now.

I'm usually having a nosey on here. Thanks for all the comments and I think everything said is fair.
    The original Jubilee Britannia model will be 20 years old next year. Scary!!!!

As you have now found out Gary my latest purchases were for the Lickey incline layout I'm presently working on. The LMS Garratt I'm running on Lickey is a TS2006 model and I have a Fowler 3P tank engine on the layout as well that is equally as old. I don't mind older models in the slightest as long as they look good and run well.