UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

I am extending my 1930s Cornish Mainline and Branches from Truro to Plymouth
2018-07-05_103802.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2018-06-22_094253.jpg
[/URL]
2018-07-05_103620.jpg
[/URL]
2018-07-05_103635.jpg
[/URL]
2018-07-05_103651.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

re posts #1321 robd and #1322 edh6

Yes the Metropolitan Railway thought of it's self as a main line railway replete with goods yards and even Pullman cars, its chairman even wanted to link it with Paris!. Up to 1960, you could depart from London behind a Met electric loco and locos would change from electric to steam at Rickmansworth for the remainder of the journey to Aylesbury.
So yes an interesting railway. Now just a small shadow of it's former self.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Cheers, evilcrow

re post #1325 chris30sg

I would agree it is a beautiful station, plenty to see there, but they seem to be short of footplate staff at the moment.

UK.....ER/GCR/Met

Cheers, evilcrow

re posts #1321 robd and #1322 edh6

Yes the Metropolitan Railway thought of it's self as a main line railway replete with goods yards and even Pullman cars, its chairman even wanted to link it with Paris!. Up to 1960, you could depart from London behind a Met electric loco and locos would change from electric to steam at Rickmansworth for the remainder of the journey to Aylesbury.
So yes an interesting railway. Now just a small shadow of it's former self.
Cheers, evilcrow

I had always perceived Aylesbury to be a London suburb, I suppose it must have been quite rural and scenic passing through the Chiltern hills. It's a part of the UK I'm not really familiar with.

I like the shot with the pub in it - looks most welcoming!

Rob.

Carlisle - Petteril Bridge NER (N&CR)

The Eastern outskirts of Carlisle. North Eastern Railway (Newcastle & Carlisle Railway). 1922. Worsdell R Class 4-4-0 (later LNER D20) taking the 12:27 p.m. Carlisle departure for Newcastle. The 12:24 p.m. Midland & North British Joint stock express passenger train for London St Pancras has preceded it. The set is NER Newcastle, Carlisle & Blackhill set number 55. Made up of six NER 52ft bogie clerestory coaches, two 3 compartment brakes, two thirds, a composite locker with 3 First & 4 Thirds and a lavatory composite with 4 Firsts and 3 Thirds. The train will take two hours thirty five minutes to reach Newcastle.

Leaving Carlisle Citadel and heading for Peteril Bridge Jn.

Passing Peteril Bridge Jn SB.

Passing the NER yards at Peteril bridge.

re post #1327 Robd

Thanks for the compliment Rob re the pub. Alas the brewery "Wethereds of Marlow no longer exists, closed down by Whitbreads (who themselves are no longer in the brewery trade) many moons ago. Indeed many pubs in the Chilterns are now also gone, just like everywhere else.
Here is another shot, an excellent pint of bitter awaits!

Cheers, Ken

Excellent and atmospheric Metropolitan Railway screenshots evilcrow. The steam era Met is a railway I wish I knew more about.

And great to see your NER screenshots too Borderreiver. Reminds me that I need to get back to working on my own little NER secondary line.

Extending your 1930s Cornish mainline Robert? Now I'm really going to have to get myself a better graphics card.

Last edited:
Nice shot evilcrow - is it your round :p. I'm not surprised Whitbreads isn't brewing anymore, their ale was ghastly, tasted like petrol, as I recall from my RN days when based in Portsmouth - the Pompey pubs were predominently Whitbreads in the 1970's.

Nice shots borderreiver, even with the pretty candy striped loco !

Rob.

Last edited:
re post #1331 robd

Hello Rob, in Portsmouth in the early to mid 1970's the beer may well have been "Brickwoods" also known by nickname as a type of brick (in the plural) beginning with "S". This brewery was also taken over by Whitbreads who then introduced to their newly acquired pubs the keg "Whitbreads Tankard" now thankfully also now gone. Their coffee chain "Costa Coffee" serves "probably" a better drink.

Alas "Strong and Co of Romsey" also taken over by Whitbreads has gone.

Cheers, evilcrow

Oh yes, I remember the Brickwoods houses, there seemed to be one on every corner in Pompey, as you say horrible ale and the pubs stinking of Jeyes fluid. I liked Gales Ales, their HSB and Winterbrew were excellent, sadly yet another brewery now gone.

Nice shot !

Rob.

re post #1336 PortLineParker
Hello PLP,
The bench is by "mick1960" MV_Gartenbank <kuid:206616:100107>. Plenty of other excellent stuff by this chap and all on the DLS.
Cheers, evilcrow

Kings Cross 9:45 a.m. July 1919 - The ECJS Expresses

A representation of London Kings Cross on a July morning in 1919 and the first three ECJS Express Passenger Trains for Scotland are preparing in platforms 6, 7 and 8. The 9:50 a.m. for Edinburgh, the 10:00 a.m. "Scotch Express" for Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth and Aberdeen and the 10:35 a.m. for Edinburgh. There will only be two further timetabled day time trains for Scotland, the 11:20 a.m. and the 2:20 p.m. "Afternoon Scotch Express". A lot of passenger traffic travelled overnight, so "the red-eye" is not a modern phenomenon.

A GNR H4 2-6-0 stands in platform 7 with the set for the 10:35 a.m. It is made up of older clerestory ECJS stock, but it remains a high-quality train. The coaches would not be cascaded away from service on the East Coast Main Line until after 1926.

A GNR C1 4-6-2 Ivatt Large Boiler Atlantic stands in platform 6 with set for the 9:50 a.m. Like the 10:35 it is made up of older ECJS clerestory roof coaches.

A GNR C1 4-6-2 Ivatt Large Boiler Atlantic stands in platform 8 with the set for the premier East Coast train, the 10 a.m., which at this time was not officially named, but was known to GNR employees as "The Scotch Express". This is not the crack non-stop express hauled by Gresley pacific 4-6-2s, that is still eight years away in the future, though the name "The Flying Scotsman" would be in use by 1924. The agreement between the East Coast and West Coast companies limiting the speed of the expresses which was put in place following the 1890s "Races to the North" was still in place, but times were changing and it would be abandoned in the mid-1920s. The set making up the 10 a.m. was the best on the ECJS, being made up of elliptical roof bogie stock built between 1906 and 1914. This included a new three-coach catering core including Raven's all-steel Kitchen Car, built at York in 1914.

A view of the 10 a.m.'s Diagram 49A Brake Third.

A view of the 10:35 a.m. from the footbridge.

A view of the 9:50 a.m. from the footbridge

The 9:50 a.m. and the 10:35 a.m. from the south end of the platform near the idling N2 empty stock engines.

The brakes. From left to right, the 56ft6in Diagram 39B on the 10 a.m. the 46ft6in Diagram 36 on the 10:35 a.m. and the 46ft6in Diagram 36 on the 9:50 a.m. There was a high demand for luggage space on all ECJS trains. People did not tend to travel light back then.

Superb shots, borderreiver. The platform clocks must be broken, they appear to be stuck at ten to twelve! (just thought I'de add that to the story - sorry)

Rob.

Last edited:
I think the clock winder was one of the GNR employees who volunteered in 1914 and unfortunately took the key with him. It seems that Station Clock - bracket can't be adjusted in surveyor, it was at 9:25 when I just went in to try.

Last edited:
...It seems that Station Clock - bracket can't be adjusted in surveyor, it was at 9:25 when I just went in to try.
Oh well, best to stick with your absent clockwinder and key story. I'm sure a spare key will turn up sometime !

The GNR H4, is that one of Paulz models?

Rob.

Edit: GNR H4 by trainboi1, found it on the DLS!

Last edited:
Back