Page 231 of 244 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233241 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,465 of 3659

Thread: UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Hello Ed, Hello Annie. I appreciate the feedback, many thanks. Your locos and rolling stock look great Ed. Annie, as to the retirement of your veteran compound by Paul it only took fifteen years to be superseded, so an honourable retirement there.

Last edited by borderreiver; January 18th, 2021 at 04:18 AM.

I couldn't agree more. The fact that you have had Paul's De Glehn in Trainz for that long is incredible! It looks ready to head on to the NRM or a Heritage Railway!

Ed's new model will be a fine addition to your route. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

Excellent screenshots Frank! My favorite part is your use of a mixed formation train! The LBSCR did quite a few of those during Pre-Grouping days and the LSWR even did a few on occasion!

I remember seeing a magazine article of a Greyhound on the MSWJR in the 50s hauling a mixed formation train. They were extremely rare by that point but they did happen!
    Last edited by Tanker46; January 18th, 2021 at 10:50 AM.
    Tanker46

Member of TCWW - Developer of the Brighton Project

Hello Tanker, thanks. On the subject of a mixed formation, it is not "technically" a mixed goods-passenger train, but it does have a significant number of Non-Passenger-Carrying Stock (NPCS) vehicles designed specifically to be hauled in passenger trains at "passenger train speeds". However, the train here won't be getting past 40 mph anywhere on its route. The key criteria during the post-grouping era were a wheelbase of 10ft or greater, fitted with (or piped for) train brake and fitted with through steam heating pipes. The consist from Ardmair includes a Horse Box (loaded if running at the head of the passenger train) an open carriage truck, three fish wagons and a Highland Railway four-wheel baggage van.

The Highland Railway had a lavish supply of open carriage trucks. This was partly in consequence to the Highland getting involved from the early 1900s in ferrying cars by train between Kyle of Lochalsh and Strathcarron. David McConnell wrote that an article by Hamilton Ellis in January 1935's Railway magazine mentioned this. It was due to the precarious state of the water ferry at Strome Ferry, required to cross Strath Carron in order to reach the ferry for Kyleakin, as well as avoiding the steep and winding road above Strome Ferry. On stormy days there could be between a dozen and twenty loaded carriage trucks for the trip to Strathcarron.

Given the wild state of the old coach road between Garve and Ullapool and its steep grades I thought it no great stretch to have had someone ferry their car to Ullapool or Ardmair. Now, the empty truck is required back at Dingwall where it may be sent out to Kyle of Lochalsh.
    Last edited by borderreiver; January 18th, 2021 at 01:05 PM.

re post #3448 borderreiver
    One can almost hear the thrash, an excellent route and history. Look forward to more please.

LBSCR (WIP) TANE

Cheers, evilcrow

Hello Evilcrow, glad that you like the shot and can almost feel the work being done. Laying out the route is a challenge since, while McConnell gives some information it feels as though yet more is needed and sadly that would likely need access to the original work done by surveyor C.R. Manners for Murdoch Paterson, who I believe was associated with the Ullapool and Garve railway company. The DEM information for NW Scotland is not that brilliant either, so there are some issues there. I have already decided to have the junction at Garve immediately to the north of the station rather than immediately to the south of it. I can recognise that someone in the U&GR may have asked why they had to have a separate station at Garve when it was supposed to be the Highland operating the line anyway (It seems as though the HR & U&GR had agreed for the HR to operate it but the U&GR had to build it). Surprisingly, the U&GR actually got an authorising Act through parliament in August 1890, just before the Highland Commissioners decided against proceeding with the line, preferring to go with the extension to Kyle by the HR, which had not then actually got an authorising act for it!!

This generated some ill-will in the faction promoting the U&GR. It appeared as if one arm of the government had encouraged them while another decided against them. So, my premise for the build starts at what if yet another arm of government (The Admiralty) approached the U&GR in the aftermath of the Highland Commissioners decision? I justify the changes on the grounds that Manners did the initial survey but further work and changing circumstances imposed some alterations, not least the insistence on the extension to Ardmair/Isle Martin. It is uncertain if the HR would have been as likely to agree to operate the U&GR in 1900 as it allegedly was in 1890 (if indeed their assurances then were genuine) so I decided to resurrect an alternative idea floated in the late 1880s that if the HR was unwilling then the GNoSR might be agreeable and that their price would be the government forcing running powers on the HR, anathema to Inverness that such a development would be!
    Last edited by borderreiver; January 19th, 2021 at 09:37 AM.

Default 1939 - Strath Garve and a Clan 4-6-0

High summer 1939 and the fellow attending to his dog at the side of the old coach road between Garve and Ullapool is probably oblivious of the significance of oil tank empties returning from Ardmair Naval Depot to Dingwall. The weight outbound called for a Clan 4-6-0, in this case Clan Fraser. Here, in Strath Garve the fireman is able to rest, with the grades downhill all the way from here to the junction at Garve. The tree line marks the banks of the Black Water.

Ex GC/LNER ROD O4/1 on East Lincolnshire line closed Oct 1970. Handling light load with ease & no gradients to cope with.

Excellent screenshots Frank and Ken and nice to see one from you too tailight. I'm still doing nothing with Trainz, but I like to look in here from time to time.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Default 1921 - Torr an Eas Quarry

Thanks Annie. In the Ullapool river valley to the north of the town there are several quarries. An old six-inch map of 1902 shows an old lime kiln at Torr An Eas. The quarry line is steeply graded, around 1 in 40 from the loch side, through a level crossing at Moss of Ullapool by Ullapool bridge and up to the loading sidings, which are below the quarry. This quarry is a significant souce of stone and crushed traffic for the line and usually merits a daily trip working during the morning by a tank engine from Ullapool shed. Empties are deposited for the day's loadings and yesterday's load is taken down to Ullapool, for attachment to the daily goods train bound for Dingwall and Inverness.

With the quarry sidings still in shadow, the morning loaded trip gets under way for Ullapool. For the descent wagon brakes are pinned down and a descending speed limit of 10 mph applies as far as the junction at the loch side. The quarry plant is also a coal consumer, so there is a spur with several coal cells, usually filled by a wagon load, delivered three times a week.

Last edited by borderreiver; January 19th, 2021 at 06:44 PM.

Default 1939 - Starth Garve II

Strath Garve and the Ardmair bound loaded oil tanks form the first train out of Inverness bound for the navy depot. It is a special working, and will wait to cross the Inverness-bound morning passenger train from Ardmair at Abhainn Droma Lodge.

Normal traffic usually amounts to two passenger trains between Ardmair and Inverness, a passenger train between Ullapool and Dingwall and a daily goods train from Inverness.

Your new Highland Railway project is looking really good Frank.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Default The Desolation of Strathgarve

Snow has arrived in Strathgarve. Dingwall shed has turned out a six-coupled "Wee Ben", No. 17 "Ben Alligan" because its adhesion is useful in adverse conditions.

On inspecting the Bradshaw's for April 1910 it would appear that the initial service for Kyle was two Dingwall to Kyle trains, where passengers changed out of Inverness trains bound for Wick and Thurso. I have to consider that the two fictional services for Ardmair might well have been combined at Dingwall and ran double-headed to Garve, where the train divided. The alternative is to have the Ardmair train depart around twenty-five minutes ahead of the Kyle train to clear the section to Achterneed and to be able to cover the distance to Garve before the following Kyle service needs to depart Achterneed.

re post#3462 borderreiver
    Nice to see this route coming along, fully seasonal one might please enquire ?

LBSCR WIP TANE

Cheers, evilcrow.

Default 1947 - Burns Night

Hi Evilcrow, fully seasonal is an aspiration rather than an actuality. At best right now is summer and snow. Lots of tinkering with textures to come by the look of it. TurfFX and Clutter to get to grips with too.

Saturday January 25th 1947. Burns night and the last train of the day from Inverness makes its way through Strathgarve between Achnaclerach and Garbat. It is quest by passengers to reach home and hearth since there is no Sunday service. They might be in time to address the haggis; -

"Fair fa' your honest sonsie face,
    Great Cheiftain o the puddin' -race!
    Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
    Painch, tripe or thairm;
    Weel are ye worthy o' a grace
    As lang's my arm
    ."

(Burns)

It is not easy to make out, but Stanier stock and a Black 5 make up the train.

The sun sets around 4.25 pm at this time of year at Dingwall, so it is a long haul in the darkness. A light in the countryside is a rare sight between Garve and Ullapool.

A change to the settings, with a cold crisp night rather than a stormy one.

Another one with changed settings. The steam heating had better be working! A former colleague from Oban told me that the heating was not always reliable when he travelled between Oban and Glasgow in the winter and that was only a decade ago!
    Last edited by borderreiver; January 21st, 2021 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by borderreiver View Post
    Snow has arrived in Strathgarve. Dingwall shed has turned out a six-coupled "Wee Ben", No. 17 "Ben Alligan" because its adhesion is useful in adverse conditions.

Excellent screenshots removed

On inspecting the Bradshaw's for April 1910 it would appear that the initial service for Kyle was two Dingwall to Kyle trains, where passengers changed out of Inverness trains bound for Wick and Thurso. I have to consider that the two fictional services for Ardmair might well have been combined at Dingwall and ran double-headed to Garve, where the train divided. The alternative is to have the Ardmair train depart around twenty-five minutes ahead of the Kyle train to clear the section to Achterneed and to be able to cover the distance to Garve before the following Kyle service needs to depart Achterneed.
    From what I recall of reading my Highland Railway books, the normal service on the Kyle line was two mixed trains a day and maybe one goods train. There were also extra seasonal trains for fish, sheep etc. but generally a very limited service. I doubt any Ullapool service would have been much different (unless significant Naval traffic was involved, in which case there might have been additional services).

Both your suggested services sound fairly plausible. If using the scenario where a train splits at Garve it probably would have been single headed from Dingwall with an additional loco based in a shed at Garve to work the second portion. An alternative service, based on the HR's often penny pinching operating practice, is that there might be through trains from Dingwall to whichever of Kyle or Ullapool was most important. The other would be operated as a branch service, perhaps with a through coach from Dingwall, Inverness or even points further south.

Another interesting bit of Highland operating practice is that passengers could travel by goods train (in the guards van) after signing a waiver. This service was largely unadvertised, but well used by those in the know who had to travel in areas with limited service and couldn't wait for a passenger train (e.g. doctors attending patients in remote areas). This meant the HR could generally get away with running a much more limited passenger service whilst still serving the local community.