UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Cardean in the morning sun, late 1910s.

xwzbuYi.jpg

Please excuse the criticism, but that ballast is far too clean for the Loop Line in the 1930s.

Nothing so dramatic. Local passenger train on my WIP Broad Gauge layout.

i1rLNo9.jpg

Jacksonbarno, good to see some ECJS carriages in your screenshot. Some of the clerestory roof coaches lasted in the east coast main allocation through in to the mid-late 1920s. The 46ft6in 1903 clerestory roof Cowlairs Full brakes (diagram 36 and 42) was a frequent assignment in the 1914 through carriage working instructions while the later 56ft6in Diagram 35 was an early example of Gresley's design influences, which would evolve through the various 56ft6in Diagram 38 39, 39B, 39C and 39E types before the LNER era 61ft6in types appeared.

Here, in autochrome style, on a foggy morning at Newcastle, are a 46ft6in BG Diagram 36 and a 46ft6in BG Diagram 42 being shunted by an E Class 0-6-0T (later LNER J71)

My WIP Broad Gauge route. Carnon viaduct. Based on Bob Cooper's old TS2012 Truro to Falmouth route, but I'm only using the landscape since everything else was different in 1880.

PaZWqvN.jpg

Nice screenshot shebashetan. We don't see rebuilt ex-Southern Railway Pacifics on here all that often.

Cornwall Railway WIP.

YGcHxVg.jpg

Hy8EC3D.jpg

zQtS6x3.jpg

Yes the auto chrome filter is a lot of fun Frank.

Brunel timber viaducts on my WIP Broad Gauge layout. There were eight of them on the Cornwall Railway's Falmouth line. So far I've done three with five more to go.

Penwithers.

i7XTXSd.jpg

Carnon (Ringwell isn't fit to be seen yet).

0Fy5tGg.jpg

Some real vintage stuff going on there. I was reading about an event back in the 1850s, before automatic continuous train braking was made compulsory and when many carriages still adhered to the old post carriage practise of stowing baggage in racks on the carriage roof. In wet weather the train guard made a late application of his van brake, causing the train to overshoot the wayside station by four hundred yards! Rather than reverse the train the passengers had to tramp along the track and then climb up in to the carriages, whilst a couple of porters and the guard had to heft baggage up on to the roof (I hope that someone had about five fathoms of line with them and a knowledge of slipknots). In any event, I expect some strong language was used by both the porters and the passengers (though not within earshot of any ladies present.....). Many would die in those vintage days as the industry learned hard lessons to do with safety.

Boiler explosions were all too common. One, on the NER on the former Newcastle & Carlisle tracks on the south bank of the Tyne destroyed the locomotive, scalded the footplate crew to death and a good part of the boiler landed across the river in Elswick. A hell of a way to go if out walking, minding your own business and destined to be under it when it landed.

1910s NBR Goods

On an autumn morning, a NBR Drummond D Class 0-6-0 on goods work which takes it south over the Forth Rail bridge from the Kingdom of Fife into the Lothians. All in early 20th Century autochrome style.

Approaching North Queensferry from the north.

After passing through the cutting.

On the northern approach to the bridge.

Crossing the bridge.

Excellent screenshots Frank. Wonderful atmospheric pictures to make me smile this morning. By the way where have all the other steam era Uk modellers who used to post in this thread gone? Horribly struck down by BR Blue era dismal disease perhaps, - though that is a truly awful way to go.

Some of my 1850s-1860s engines do have fairly minimal braking which makes driving them a bit of a challenge. I converted all my early brake vans as well as some tenders to use a brake van script by azervich <kuid2:404079:1029:1> which makes a helpful difference when running my mid-19th century trains.
They certainly were different times for the railways to what we are familiar with now considering almost everything was being developed right at the cutting edge of the technology of the time. Reading 19th century editions of the 'Engineer' certainly makes this very plain.

Thanks Annie. The others might have been "summered". Real life and family demands or just diverted to things that go on during the balmy days of summer. Now we are halfway through September and the equinox approaches the nights are drawing in and Trainz might reappear on their leisure time schedule. On the other hand, they might be wrestling with assets in TRS2019. I have literally hundreds of them that aren't "faulty" but are exhibiting anomalies. Many of these are window related and the fixes to restore them vary somewhat, depending on the original build number. With it taking, on average, between fifteen and thirty minutes per asset, this soon adds up to hours and hours of editing. Sometimes it doesn't quite work out and then it is round again to sort it out. At the moment I think that I am going to lose about six months of progress with routes sorting out my TRS2019 installation and currently around six weeks in to that process. It may go longer since when fixing one thing I notice another. On my routes, tunnel portals have been a real pain. I don't have many to deal with but they all have manifested the elevation evolution mentioned elsewhere, and that takes me rather more than thirty minutes each time to sort out. I even have this on some tunnel portals on built-in routes!! "No names no pack drill" as to which ones right now.

I will be back in the virtual UK soon!
I am in virtual Europe at the monent updating some EU invisible station assets for my EU routes.
Dragging old content into TANE and submitting edits is a frustrating task, but 30 minutes ago I got them to be error free.
Just need to update 150 platforms on the route with them, manually too, because the change/update thingy doesn't like stations.
This is what happens when you consolidate your wide spread CDP into a single place, you find old stuff that you just have to work on! :D

Just to keep my toe dipped in, heres a blast from the past at Carrachmuir

Towards-the-station%2C-Carrachmuir.jpg

Morning-at-Carrachmuir-loco-shed.jpg

Back