UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

It's gone a little quiet on here of late - everyone okay?

SDJR 88 visiting Swanage; seen here on a late afternoon service:

<pictures snipped>

Cheers,

PLP

I've not been well, but I've still been looking in from time to time because the screenshots here are always a good cheer up.

I never get tired of seeing more of Swanage PLP.

Tanker! May the Force be with you. That South London Route is absolutely insane!

Excellent screenshots from you as well Lewisner.

I'm sorry to hear that Annie, wishing you a speedy recovery!

Some more from me of 4MT 2-6-0 76045 on a Swanage to Norden early evening run. Good loco to drive, this:
GFekQ0r.jpg

LWHodfm.jpg

ZjGFf9L.jpg

7zFNTOf.jpg

WOJiy62.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Very nice screenshots! I’m very impressed with how the Southern Region’s coming along! I wish you the best of luck with continuing work on the route. I can’t wait to run it when it comes out!

Take care, and have a wonderful day everyone.

Thanks Andrew! It's still a long way off from completion but I think it's going to be an excellent section once I'm done with it. I've got so many people like Paul, Frank, Barney and Parker helping me with this project that I am certain it will be amazing when we finally get it finished. I'll be keeping you posted as I work my way along the route!! :)

Tanker! May the Force be with you. That South London Route is absolutely insane!

Thank You Annie! I'm sorry you're not feeling well at the moment. I hope you recover quickly so you can enjoy your summer season.

The South London Route is starting to wander into the insane territory. I've redone Purley, East Croydon and even Norwood Junction several times in my quest to get this right, but I'm finally reaching a point that I'm satisfied with.

The real challenge is tackling the five main SR Terminals and the and the four adjacent Locomotive MPDs surrounding them. London Victoria was actually one of the easier ones. I shudder when I think about having to do Waterloo and London Bridge. I'll probably tackle Nine Elms next and then start laying track for the massive goods yard beneath the main line. I feel like once I start modeling Clapham Junction and Vauxhall it's going to be much harder to do so. I've already checked Stewart's Lane and Norwood Junction off the list and Bricklayers Arms is in progress, so the LSWR's home depot in London will be fitting as the last MPD in sequence.

Gotta say with as big as the South London Area is I could probably release it as it's own project after including it in the SR Route. I'd dare say that it has the potential to turn into a full scale payware project like S&C and PLL provided I hyper detail it and model a set of locos specifically for it! :hehe:

Of course that's just a in theory if course.

Last edited:
@Tanker46 you must have balls of steel to take on such a huge project. I used to work (as a guard) trains out of Victoria in the 90s so I look forward to seeing it develop.

The Tank Train is one of my favourites now mainly due to the epic amounts of steam the "Dub Dee" emits. Here it is crossing the mini viaduct south of North Grimston station.

Tank Train at North Grimston 20.6.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

and crossing the bigger viaduct just north of North Grimston station. None of the prebuilt viaducts on the DLS were "right" for this so it is made out of a lot of FMA splines and the embankments are SAM VS 12m

Tank Train at North Grimston Viaduct 20.6.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Tnaker, I still have to merge the London Brighton & South Coast railway "central section" with the South london cdp to test whether the merge is seamless. if that works out then I should be able to put the cdp up for the line down to Crawley.

I've had 92203 Black Prince out for a run using 2995valliant's new especs - they're absolutely fantastic, as usual so thanks Valliant!
SAhsmeL.jpg

Bigsb9l.jpg

lSHA0Fl.jpg

y3Dftjc.jpg

xqbRLPy.jpg

arCpPNT.jpg

y73V4kP.jpg

gjXxJV7.jpg

1fEp6JI.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Tnaker, I still have to merge the London Brighton & South Coast railway "central section" with the South london cdp to test whether the merge is seamless. if that works out then I should be able to put the cdp up for the line down to Crawley.

Hi Frank! It's so good to hear from you!!

I'm so excited to hear that! I just finished Reedham and Purley so the run from North Coulsdon to Three Bridges/Crawley would definitely be most welcome! I plan on finishing up the track laying at the end of the summer so I definitely welcome the next section whenever you feel up to tackling it.

I just can't thank you enough Frank. The time and effort you put into crafting the DEMs has made my dreams of completing this project a reality and I can't express my gratitude enough to you. Out of all the people who have helped me along the way on this I can't say that I couldn't have gotten this far without your help. :D

@Tanker46 you must have balls of steel to take on such a huge project. I used to work (as a guard) trains out of Victoria in the 90s so I look forward to seeing it develop.

Wow! "Balls of Steel"? Thank You Lewisner! :D I can't help but recall a certain video game character from my childhood who also held that title. It certainly is nice to know you feel that way!

I don't know if you were present in the thread through 2020-2021 but I initially planned to model the entire Southern Region of BR in Trainz. I managed to cover most of the LBSCR Network but stopped after I reached Purley as Frank began crafting DEM maps for the project so I could model the route to accurate standards. I retained the original route as I plan on using the copy/paste function of the route editor to transfer over the stuff I have already worked on to the new map.

I also had all the buildings done by Paulz Trainz while Pilotwoo and I are working on some very special SR locos for the route itself.

I still plan on doing the entire network. South London is only the beginning. As Frank sends me the additional sections of DEMs I will extend the route accordingly. However, I may have to release the LBSCR, LSWR and SECR Sections separately - combining them all at once might break the DLS! :hehe:

Last edited:
June 1962 - BR Standard 4MT Tank No. 80068 works a three-car local train from Turnbridge Wells West to Clapham Junction. The loco in the shot is a resident of Stewarts Lane but is on it's last year of allocation to the shed. It is set to be reallocated to Weymouth Radipole the very next year, where it remained until it's transfer to Bournemouth at the end of the summer.

eESbisb.jpg
[/IMG]

PeRfvUt.jpg
[/IMG]

2pg6Nl2.jpg
[/IMG]

Great screenshots Tanker, that 4MT is just stunning.

It's a shame they never ran in green, I think they look quite handsome.

You could swap the headcode lamps out for the SR style discs as the white lamps were only used at night - but then, other regions used them day and night so I suppose it depends on which region you're gearing it towards!

Cheers,

PLP

Last edited:
Great screenshots Tanker, that 4MT is just stunning.

It's a shame they never ran in green, I think they look quite handsome.

You could swap the headcode lamps out for the SR style discs as the white lamps were only used at night - but then, other regions used them day and night so I suppose it depends on which region you're gearing it towards!

Cheers,

PLP

Thanks Parker! Barney did the majority of the work so I give most of the credit to him, but I did contribute to the initial mesh alterations and rebuilding!

Funny thing about that Green Livery. There actually were three 4MT Tanks who did field that livery in the later years of BR. They were based out of Swansea in the late 50s and were outshopped in Swindon Green as many Ivatt 2MTs and BR Standards were that worked on the region.
They were dispersed to Nine Elms, Oswerty and Shrewsbury after GWR shut down steam in Swansea. I have a picture of one somewhere but they kind of slipped by trainspotters for the most part!

Last edited:
Interesting to know Tanker, if you find the photograph please share it - I'd be very interested to see it!

I know some of the Shrewsbury and Swansea based 3MTs were in both lined and unlined green livery, again looking rather attractive.

Cheers,

PLP

June 1962 - BR Standard 4MT Tank No. 80068 works a three-car local train from Turnbridge Wells West to Clapham Junction. The loco in the shot is a resident of Stewarts Lane but is on it's last year of allocation to the shed. It is set to be reallocated to Weymouth Radipole the very next year, where it remained until it's transfer to Bournemouth at the end of the summer.
<pictures snipped>
I agree Tanker green is the only suitable colour for a WR 4MT to be seen in. Nice to see your partnership with Barney coming to fruition with your 4MT project.

After a long absence I decided to visit my Western Region version of Ashington and was just in time to catch No. 82030 before it departed for Castleton.
Transfering 'Ashington' over to TRS22 was a fairly painless exercise with most of my vintage Trainz engines and rolling stock only needing minor modifications if any at all to work well in TRS22. No.82030 really could do with having its steam and smoke animations upgrading though. I've caught up with doing this to most of its shed mates, but No.82030 must've been hiding at Bath that day.

1fApw0j.jpg

WkJJ9h0.jpg

UeWL6vq.jpg

PdGRBJp.jpg

w9z6ef9.jpg

And arrival at Castleton.

Ai7YoGp.jpg

Class D49 "The Cleveland" swings onto the Malton branch at Driffield West Junction as a Black 5 waits for a route to Bridlington from the Market Weighton line. As usual in the UK this site is covered in houses just to make sure the line can never be reopened :(

<picture snipped>

Trains at Driffield West 23.6.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

The unfortunate fate of so much of Britain's former railway property (sigh). Even in recent times there's been underhanded manoverings by 'nimby' council factions attempting to keep preservationists out by building yet another unnecessary retail or industrial estate over former railway formations.

Yet another excellent screenshot Lewisner. At least you are keeping the memory of this line alive.

At Great Musgrave in Cumbria a bridge over the former NER line from Barnard Castle to Tebay was infilled with concrete by Highways England who are responsible for former railway structures such as bridges, tunnels & viaducts. HE claim the bridge was not safe to carry 40Ton lorries despite being a quiet country road. There were many objections to the infill but HE went ahead in July 2021. This severed the trackbed between the Eden Valley Railway at Warcrop & the preserved Kirkby Stephen East making a future link impossible. This year it came about that the infill was illegal & required Planning permission from Eden District Council. This has been applied for & refused & the infill has to be removed & the bridge maintained. The infill looked simply dreadful & described in Parliament as cultural vandalism. To see just search Great Musgrave Bridge & you will see. HE have had plans stopped for other infills planned.

Last edited:
Yes I saw that the planning decision had gone against Highways England and that they have to put things back as they were, - and a darn good thing it is too. Whatever excuse for an engineer thought it was a good idea in the first place must be now severely regretting the whole sorry mess and his hopes for future employment.

Back